How Can You Use Worcestershire Sauce
Worcestershire sauce is incredibly versatile. You can use a sprinkle to brighten up a soup or stew and not risk making it too sweet or too fruity . Its also a great way to top a steak if youd like to add a little something extra. From classic to creative, here are a few ways to use Worcestershire sauce.
Choosing A Worcestershire Sauce Recipe
I started combing the internet for Worcestershire sauce recipes and I didnt make it very far. Just about all of them are a mixture of cider vinegar and soy sauce, with a few seasonings thrown in. None that I found contained anchovies, and all of them are ready to use as soon as you whisk them together.
Sure, instant gratification is nice, and its great for making a quick Worcestershire sauce substitute if you happen to run outbut its not what Im going for. Im trying to craft something special, and waiting for the flavors to come together just right is part of the process.
Disappointed, I shelved the project until I came across a recipe for Worcestershire sauce in The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving. The ingredients list is long, but reading through it, I happened to have all the ingredients waiting in my pantry.
To be fair, I have a pretty well-equipped pantry, and most people probably dont have tamarind paste or anchovies in stock at all times. Beyond those two things, the recipe is pretty basic pantry staples and spices.
The original recipe called for 1 tsp. anchovy paste and Ive instead used a 2oz can of whole anchovies. A single teaspoon didnt seem like nearly enough, especially since its the second ingredient in the Lee and Perrins Worcestershire sauce ingredient list. I also substituted maple syrup for the brown sugar since we make our own homemade maple and have plenty on hand.
Im very happy with the results. Ill make it again for sure.
The Best Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Homemade Barbecue Sauce. Make your own bbq sauce from scratch in less than 20 minutes with this easy recipe! This barbecue sauce is tangy, sweet, smoky, and finger-licking good! Its the perfect barbecue sauce for ribs, pulled pork, chicken, marinades, and more!
This content contains affiliate links, which help goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
Also Check: Raos Sauce Costco
Is Maggi Worcestershire Sauce Vegan
Maggi Worcestershire Sauce is generally considered vegan. It does not contain anchovies or other fish ingredients.
Heres the full ingredients:
Maggi Lazenby Worcestershire Sauce Ingredients:Water, vinegar, molasses, onions, salt, caramel , sugar, spices, flavour , chillies, garlic, monosodium glutamate Stabilizer , Non-nutritive sweetners and Acelsulfame K Flavour enhancers .
How To Make Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
The flavor of Worcestershire sauce mainly consists of acidic and salty notes. To achieve this, we are using apple cider vinegar. You can also use white distilled vinegar, but I prefer ACV. For saltiness, soy sauce saves the day. It also gives it that flavor we need. If you are soy-free, you can try substituting coconut aminos – just note that I haven’t personally made it with that ingredient so I can’t promise delicious results.
Of course, we need more flavor notes to perfect Worcestershire sauce – enter allspice, garlic, onion, mustard, and pepper. Simple, accessible ingredients!
Now you can make all of the Swedish meatballs your heart desires.
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
French’s Worcestershire Sauce 5 Fl Oz
as of December 1, 2021 3:41 am
- Rich, tangy Worcestershire sauce works as a 10-minute meat tenderizer adding classic flavor to every bite
- From a steak marinade to a burger marinade, use this single sauce to marinate meats of all kinds, spice up gravies and flavor stews
- Frenchs classic sauce is made with quality ingredients that you can serve to the whole family No artificial flavors and no colors from artificial sources
- Kosher certified and gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- Meat tenderizer is a product of the USA
Homemade Bbq Sauce Ingredients
- Tomato Sauce + Tomato Paste: The base of any good barbecue sauce is tomato sauce. Be sure to use canned plain tomato sauce, which is just pureed tomatoes with no extra ingredients.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The key to making the best barbecue sauce is adding just the right amount of vinegar to provide a tangy, rich flavor. I Use Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Maple Syrup or Molasses: This helps to both sweeten and thicken the barbecue sauce.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar gives the bbq sauce a warm sweet flavor and helps mellow the tartness from the tomato sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Gives the sauce a savory depth. To keep this barbecue sauce recipe vegan, use a vegan Worcestershire Sauce like . Here is a Gluten-Free Option:
- Hickory Liquid Smoke: To give the barbecue sauce the customary smoky flavor. I use .
- Spices: The spices enhance the flavor of the bbq sauce and allow you to customize the flavor to your liking. If you would like your bbq sauce spicy, add cayenne pepper and red crushed pepper flakes.
Read Also: Texas Pete Recipes
What Happens If Annie’s Worcestershire Sauce Certified Organic Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
What Is Worcestershire Sauce Exactly
Side Note:vegan starter kit
Worcestershire sauce is typically made with several distinct tasting ingredients such as vinegar, sugar, cloves, and garlic.This mixture then undergoes an aging process to deep the flavors. The sauce was created by two chemists from Worcester which is how it got itsname.Thenames of these chemists were John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins.If those names look familiar it is because they created the company Lea & Perrins which is one of the best known and best selling Worcestershire sauces on the market.
While its not quite a condiment per se like ketchup, mustard, soy sauce or sriracha, Worcestershire sauce is typically found in the same aisle of the supermarket.You technically probably can dip your food into it, but most people would find its flavor profile to be too strong.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Annie’s Fabulous Beef Stroganoff
Another delicious recipe from my wonderful mother, who has always been a supurb cook! I remember her making this when I was a child and I look foward to serving this at future dinner parties. A lovely beef stroganoff is always sure to impress!
Provided by Helping Hands
|1 1/2 lbs sirloin steaks|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1 -2 clove garlic, minced|
|4 tablespoons butter|
|1 can beef consomme|
|1 pint sour cream|
- Remove fat from steak and cut into pencil thin strips.
- Dredge meat lightly with flour, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Saute onion with mushroooms and garlic in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add beef, and more butter, if needed.
- Turn heat to high and toss meat continously for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove meat, onions, and mushrooms with garlic, and keep warm.
- Reserve 2 tbs drippings.
- Use 2 tbs drippings and blend in flour.
- Add consomme and stir until smooth and thickened.
- Add sour cream, and salt and pepper keep heat low so cream will not curdle.
- Add paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
- Just before serving, add beef and vegetables and heat thru together.
- Serve over noodles or rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 963, Fat 74.8, SaturatedFat 37.5, Cholesterol 247.7, Sodium 1521.1, Carbohydrate 15.2, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 3.8, Protein 57.2
Is Essential Everyday Worcestershire Sauce Vegan
Essential Everyday Worcestershire Sauce is generally considered vegan. It does not contain anchovies or other fish ingredients.
Heres the full ingredients:
Essential Everyday Worcestershire Sauce Ingredients:Water, Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Salt, Sugar, Tamarind, Caramel Color, Cayenne Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavorings, Polysorbate 80, And Citric Acid.
You May Like: Rao’s Sauce Costco
Best Worcestershire Sauce Handpicked For You In 2021
Did you just search for the best worcestershire sauce or something similar to that? If yes, then trust us, you have arrived at the right place. In this article, we will take a look at some of the best chosen affordable worcestershire sauce that you can buy online. Our team has spent a considerable amount of time in researching and physically reviewing the products. So, if you would like to know the detailed insights then make sure that you read the article carefully till the end.
We always take that extra step while reviewing products, so that our user base only gets exposed to the best and reliable worcestershire sauce. After hours and hours of analysis and deduction, we come to the decision that Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce could be the best worcestershire sauce for your needs. But, if you are still looking for something more cheaper and reliable, then you are free to go for Lea & Perrins Original Worcestershire Sauce .
The table below provides a quick overview of the Top worcestershire sauce. You can take a look on the design before reading a complete review. Plus, the features that make each product stand out from the crowd are highlighted, with a view to save your precious time.
Signs That Your Worcestershire Sauce May Have Gone Off
As we have mentioned before, it is pretty rare that a Worcestershire sauce will fully go off. It is much more likely that it will lose its flavor. Regardless, seeing as it can happen, here are a few signs of spoilage to look for. The first sign to look out for is one you should be able to notice by simply opening the bottle. After a while, a spoiled Worcestershire sauce will begin to release gasses. So, if your bottle makes an audible popping noise while it is being opened, this can indicate that the contents are no longer good. If in any doubt, if there is also a very sour odor emanating from the bottle or any mold, the bottle should be discarded immediately. Asides from these signs, all we can really advise is to have a little taste of the sauce before using it. If it has passed the other tests, the worst that could happen is that it will simply taste a little lackluster. At this point, though it is most likely safe, there is no real point in using it as it wont add any flavor to the overall dish that you are cooking.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Wings Recipe
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
as of December 1, 2021 3:41 am
- One 1 gal jug of Lea and Perrins The Original Worcestershire Sauce
- Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce will enhance your dish and make your taste buds crave for more
- The oldest commercially bottled condiment in the United States
- Made of molasses, tamarind extract, white vinegar, chili pepper extract and sugar
- Cholesterol free, fat free and gluten free with 5 calories per serving
Is Kroger Worcestershire Sauce Vegan
Kroger Worcestershire Sauce is generally considered vegan. It does not contain anchovies or other fish ingredients.
Heres the full ingredients:
Kroger Worcestershire Sauce Ingredients:Water, distilled vinegar, molasses, salt, citric acid, dextrose, caramel color, natural flavors, malic acid, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic.
Recommended Reading: Classico Florentine Spinach & Cheese Pasta Sauce
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Wing Sauce Recipes
What Is Worcestershire Sauce Made Of
Heres the fun part. And by fun, I mean potentially disturbing. Remember when I said that the first barrel of Worcestershire sauce was aged for years? Well, beyond a couple different types of vinegar , molasses, sugar, and salt, the most prominent ingredient isanchovies.
Yes, Worcestershire sauce is in large part aged, fermented fish paste. But thats why it has that lovely umami bite. If that fact freaks you out, there are several vegan and vegetarian options on the market that, while not Lea & Perrins, come pretty close.
Beyond those ingredients, Worcestershire sauce contains tamarind, a fruit that has a sweet and sour tang underscored by an earthiness, plus garlic, onion, and spice and flavorings.
For over a century, no one knew what the spice and flavorings were, but then in 2009, a company accountant came across a diary from the 1800s that had been discarded in a dumpster. In that diary were the contents of the secretly guarded spices and flavorings: cloves, soy, essence of lemons, peppers, and pickles.
Add these together in the proper proportions, let them sit for 18 months, and when youre done, youll have a sauce that starts out sweet and acidic, but finishes with a peppery bite and mouth-watering, umami sensation.
What Is Worcestershire Sauce
Worcestershire sauce was first manufactured by chemists Lea and Perrins from Worcester, England, way back in the early 19th century. The sauces recipe is as complex as its name is hard to pronounce. Basically, everything is fermented, blended, then fermented again. The intensity of flavors comes from this long maturing and fermenting process.
The main ingredients in Worcestershire sauce are vinegar, red onions, garlic, molasses, tamarind paste, salt, sugar, and the dreaded anchovies that make it unfit for vegan consumption. Theres also a variety of other spices included to season the sauce, like mustard seeds, pepper, cloves, or coriander.
Worcestershire sauce is praised for its complexity of flavor, as well as the tangy balance between sweet, savory, and salty. It also has this thing called umami, the fifth of the basic tastes, that amateur cooks and chefs alike look to create in their dishes.
Read Also: Kraft Sweet And Sour Sauce
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
What Brands Of Worcestershire Sauce Are Vegan
After checking fifteen brands of Worcestershire sauce, I found that eleven were vegan. Or at least they are close enough that I would call them vegan.
For the purposes of this study, I did not count sugar or natural flavor as non-vegan. However, if youre a strict vegan who excludes those ingredients, you can choose an organic brand, since organic sugar is not filtered with animal bone char.
Heres the full list of which brands of Worcestershire sauce are vegan:
|Brand of Worcestershire Sauce|
What Brands of Worcestershire Sauce Are Vegan?
Now that youve seen the overview, lets take a look at each specific brand in detail!
Use It To Make Bbq Glazed Tempeh
I also love using this BBQ sauce for my BBQ Glazed Tempeh LINK. Its a fantastic way to take nutrient-rich tempeh from meh to amazing. You can serve the BBQ tempeh in a sandwich . Or in an epic grain bowl/salad with vegan ranch dressing!
You can serve BBQ tofu or BBQ tempeh at your next cookout. Its fantastic paired with this Herbed Potato Salad! Or, if its winter time, try pairing either with this Crispy Baked Mac and Cheese or Miso Butter Mashed Potatoes.
Thats all you need to know to make this easy but delicious vegan Barbecue Sauce! Enjoy xo.
Recommended Reading: Rao Sauce Costco
Montofresh Worcestershire Sauce Umami
as of December 1, 2021 3:41 am
- PACKS A BIG SAVORY PUNCH: MontoFresh Worcestershire sauce adds a subtle complexity to your favorite dishes and transforms them into a mouth-watering meal your family cant get enough of. With its tangy, umami-rich flavor, a splash can elevate any bland marinade & sauce into a unique flavor.
- ALL-PURPOSE GOURMET SEASONING: Worcestershire sauce can create exceptional depth with its salty savoriness, making it perfect for braises, stews, barbecue, burgers, dressings and soups. Works great as an alternative to soy sauce or fish sauce if you want to change things up!
- BOLD FLAVOR ENHANCER FOR THE HEALTH CONSCIOUS: This complex savory condiment makes it easy to turn any bland recipe into a healthy wholesome meal in no time. Kosher parve, vegan, and made with non-GMO ingredients, you can feel good knowing your meals are being prepared with the best of the best.
- AN ESSENTIAL EVERY WELL-STOCKED PANTRY SHOULD HAVE: From making delicious caeser salad dressings to bloody marys, you’ll want to stock up on bottles of MontoFresh Worcestershire Sauce so youre always prepared for any impromptu recipe. Comes in a convenient resealable bottle to retain freshness.
- PERFECT FOR USE IN VEGAN RECIPES: Most worcestershire sauce contains anchovies, but not us! MontoFresh Worcestershire Sauce achieves that coveted umami flavor with a blend of spices for a vegan friendly pantry staple that can be used in place of high sodium soy sauce.
Two More Recommendations For Your Vegan Journey
1. This is the best vegan multivitamin Ive found in 13 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kinds multivitamin here .
2. This is the best vegan starter kit I know of. Its a bundle of 9 beautiful e-books that help you transition to a healthy plant-based dietthe right way. The advice is spot-on, and it has print-outs and checklists that make it easy to implement. Read my full review of Nutriciously here.
I bet youre making at least one of these 8 vegan nutrition mistakes
Download my FREE 1-page cheat sheet with 8 commonvegan nutrition mistakes!
THRIVE on a plant-based diet with my ongoing email guidance!
Recommended Reading: Costco Rao Sauce