Spaghetti With Crispy Zucchini: Faqs
Yum! How can I make this gluten-free?
Just sub your favorite gluten-free pasta and use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Can I add meat to this?
Sure can! Some delicious store-bought meatballs would be a really SOS-friendly option here.
Does this save well as leftovers?
The zucchini might not stay as crispy as when you first make it, but if youre still rocking that work-from-home life, you could pop the zucchini crispities in the oven to reheat for a few minutes the next day and pop them on top of your noodles.
How To Make Zucchini Spaghetti Bake Step By Step
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add a little bit of olive oil and cook the turkey sausage until no longer pink. Remove to a plate.
Add few more tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and cook the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the spaghetti in salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain the rest.
While the spaghetti is cooking, finish the pasta sauce: to the mushroom mixture, add cooked sausage, pasta sauce, and roasted peppers. Stir to combine. Then add reserved pasta water and 1 cup of cheese.
To assemble the zucchini bake: combine the spaghetti and zucchini noodles in a 9X9 baking dish. Spoon the sauce over the noodles and toss to combine.
Cover and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Garnish with basil before serving.
Fresh Zucchini And Garden Vegetable Sauce For Spaghetti
What do you get when you mix zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and lots of Italian seasoning?
A delicious and healthy meal that will have everyone begging for more, thats what.
You might think that preparing such a meal is complicated with a whole bunch of steps. However, its quite the contrary.
This super easy meal is something anyone can make. That is, anyone who is tall enough to see the countertop and mature enough to handle a knife.
Some folks might think that a simple meal has to be bland or maybe even tasteless. However, that cant be further from the truth.
All you have to do is chop up a bunch of vegetables, open a few jars or cans, and toss it all into the pot.
Turn on the slow cooker, walk away, and come back later to one of the best meals ever.
You can actually use whatever vegetables you have on hand. Since I picked up some zucchini that was on sale at Aldi, thats the star of this recipe.
Add diced onions, peppers, and garlic to get even more vegetable goodness.
Sprinkle in some seasonings for flavor, spoon it over pasta, and you have a meal fit for royalty.
I also had some chicken tenders in the freezer that needed to be cooked. So I cut them into bite-size pieces and tossed them in with the rest of the ingredients.
You May Like: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
How Do You Make Zucchini Noodles
There are a few ways you can make zucchini noodles. The first way is to use a vegetable spiralizer like this one.
However, if you do not have a vegetable spiralizer you can simply use a vegetable peeler to cut the zucchini into long thin ribbons and then stack them together and use a knife to cut the ribbons into thin noodles.
Another option would be to simply cut the zucchini into long strips/matchsticks. Heres a really great video on more ways to cut the zucchini noodles.
Real Pasta With Creamy Zucchini Sauce Not Zoodles
If you landed here expecting one of those low carb zucchini pasta zoodle recipes, youre going to be sorely disappointed because this is about as far as you can get from a health food trend.
Its real spaghetti all the way, in all its carb loaded glory, and the zucchini pasta sauce is swimming in cream.
Low carb? Absolutely not. Low fat? Nope.
100% delicious? YES!
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Lower Carb Zucchini Noodle Spaghetti Bake
This delicious pasta bake is packed with tons of zucchini and just a little bit of pasta making it a great lower carb dinner option!
We finally got some rain here! Well, at least it smelled like rain and I think I saw a few sprinkles, but it cooled down the temps and it actually feels somewhat bearable outside.
The summer monsoons are one of my favorite parts about living in Arizona and Im going to be really sad if they dont get their act together soon! Another favorite thing about this summer is my spiralizer. I know Im a little slow to catch onto the trend, but Ive been using it so much lately and really loving it.
I didnt go full zucchini noodle in this recipe because I wanted to add some regular spaghetti to make it a bit more filling, but theres 3 full zucchini and only 2 ounces of pasta, so it makes it great for a lower carb meal.
Its cheesy and comforting but also packed with tons of veggies that are easy to hide if your trying to sneak them in
Baked Zucchini Pepper Onion Garlic In Tomato Sauce Firin Sebze
Baked zucchini , peppers, onion and garlic in tomato sauce Firin Sebze
This baked vegetables in tomato sauce with olive oil, Firin Sebze, is a delicious, easy and healthy vegetarian course that we turn to often. Beauty of this dish is that you can use whatever vegetables you have in hand zucchini , peppers, onions, peas, carrots, beetroots, aubergines, beans, potatoes especially work well. In Turkish cuisine, we use tomato based sauces a lot in our casseroles, stews and baked dishes you can use juicy, ripe tomatoes when they are in season. If you cant get hold of ripe tomatoes, a good quality canned chopped tomatoes also work very well.
For a more substantial vegetarian course, you can add cooked chickpeas to the vegetable mixture here and bake all together. It is a delicious and gluten-free vegetarian course that complements any grills and pasta beautifully you can also serve this vegetable bake as part of a mezze spread.
You can prepare this dish ahead of time and keep in the fridge or freezer. If left in fridge, reheat at the preheated oven at 200 C / 400 F for 15 20 minutes. If kept in freezer, reheat at the same temperature for about 30 minutes.
Baked vegetables with olive oil in tomato sauce easy, healthy and gluten-free
I hope this delicious baked vegetables with olive oil inspires for easy, healthy, delicious home cooked meals for you all.
Also Check: Where To Buy Rao Sauce
Make Zucchini Pasta Your Keto Best Friend
Zucchini spaghetti, zucchini pasta, zoodles, courgette noodles call them what you will, but theyre a great low-carb substitute for noodles and pasta on the Keto diet. And theyre no less delicious. First things first: you dont need any special equipment to make them. Before I invested in a hand-held spiralizer, I used my vegetable peeler to make the pasta, so this is more appropriately called zucchini fettuccine, but whats in a name? This zucchini casserole recipes is low on carbs, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegetarian as well. With its crisp, golden cheesy crust on top, layers of meat and veg and more cheese inside, its a great dinner staple and your kids will love it too.
If you dont fancy a bake, and youd rather have a pasta/noodle dish, take a look at our pesto zucchini spaghetti and our keto alfredo fetuccine for more zoodle ideas youll be surprised how versatile this fruit can be. Thats right, did you know zucchini is a fruit?
Roasted Tomato Dipping Sauce
You cant make these baked zucchini fries and not have some sort of sauce to go with them.
Im more of a tomato sauce than ketchup person, so I use my favorite jarred marinated roasted tomatoes to make a super simple sauce.
All I do is puree the tomatoes with garlic, olive oil and a little Parmesan.
Its so good with the fries!
Recommended Reading: Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
How To Make Zucchini Noodles With And Without A Spiralizer
Zucchini noodles are spaghetti-like strands of zucchini. You can make them a variety of ways. Heres how to make them:
The easiest way to make zucchini noodles is to use a spiralizer. They make long, curly noodles in minutes. This is a great tool to add to your kitchen. We purchased ours on Amazon for less than $30. There are a variety of brands and price points to choose from. Some food processors come with a spiralizer attachment now, too.
No spiralizer, no problem! You can also use a julienne vegetable peeler. These come in at under $10 and might even be hiding in your kitchen gadget drawer right now.
Most mandoline slicers will make noodles, too.
You can also use a standard vegetable peeler and make wide noodles.
Depending on where you shop, you might even find that you can buy previously spiralized zucchini. Ive seen them for sale in Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and even some Safeway stores.
Once youve got noodles, youre ready to cook them.
Should You Salt Zucchini Before Cooking
- Zucchini is 95% water. Salting them extracts a lot of this moisture which gets absorbed by paper towels on the top and bottom of the zucchini rounds.
- This makes a huge difference between having firm, sturdy bites of zucchini, vs. a limp and watery consistency.
- Let them sit for at least 30 minutes after salting to allow the maximum amount of moisture to get extracted. I usually let them sit for 1.5 hours if time allows.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Walmart
How To Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats
The full recipe follows, but here is a quick overview of the steps.
Baked Zucchini Casserole – Organized Island
Saturday 24th of July 2021
Zucchini Boats. Made with ground beef, a tomato-based sauce, and cheese, these are delicious and flavorful!
Friday 23rd of July 2021
Oh yum! This is a perfect summer dinner. I bet my family will love this. I’m saving the recipe! )
Thursday 22nd of July 2021
Loved these! They were easy to make and tasted great. Will definitely make again!
Wednesday 21st of July 2021
I really enjoy these zucchini boats. They’re so delicious and a life saver when I run out of time.
Wednesday 21st of July 2021
Thanks a lot for sharing this zucchini boats recipe! Will surely have this one again, really easy to make and tasted amazing!
Wednesday 21st of July 2021
Thank you! Great to hear Allyssa!
Zucchini And Roasted Tomatoes With Pasta And Dried Olive Flavor Shake Recipe
Deeply flavored zucchini and roasted tomatoes are the star of this dish pasta just plays a supporting role. Slow-cooking garlic and rosemary infuses olive oil with flavor that fills the entire bowl, while a dusting of our Dried Olive and Miso Shake gives it over-the-top savory flavor.
Why this recipe works:
- Roasting the tomatoes at high heat concentrates their flavors.
- Slow-cooking garlic and rosemary in olive oil infuses it with flavor that permeates the whole finished dish.
- Folding in the Dried Olive and Miso Shake at the end and sprinkling more on top gives it a huge umami flavor boost.
Rate & Comment
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry tomatoes, split in half
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
- 2 large zucchini , split in half lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh rosemary leaves, stems reserved
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
- 12 ounces fresh or 8 ounces dried short tubular pasta such as rigatoni or penne
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 recipe Dried Olive and Miso Shake
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Wings Sauce Recipe
Our Best Tips For Cooking Zoodles So That They Are Delicious And Not Soggy
Zucchini is mostly made up of water so cooking it can be tricky. Here are our tips for cooking it well and making sure its not soggy.
- Dont peel the zucchini. Peeled zucchini noodles are mushy and have little crunch. Plus, it adds a step and were looking for dinner on the table fast.
- Dont salt the zucchini ahead or time or while it cooks in the pan. Salt draws out water from the zucchini. This will make it less crunchy when its cooked. Since salt makes things taste good, we prefer to salt the sauce and not the zucchini.
- Dont overcook. The noodles should be cooked to al dente . This means they will look wilted, but still have a crunch.
Since zucchini has a tendency to become watery, we do our best to reduce this as much as possible in our recipe. Even so, you will still find some water left at the bottom of the serving bowl. This is okay with us. The liquid mixes with tomato, garlic, cheese, and olive oil, so its delicious. By the way, if you are looking for more ways to use up zucchini, heres our parmesan basil zucchini chips recipe for you. They are addictive.
Zucchini Casserole Recipe Ingredients
Heres what youll need to make this delicious zucchini casserole recipe:
- Fresh zucchini, of course! I actually like to use a mix of yellow squash and zucchini in this recipe, but just one or the other would work fine too.
- Yellow onion It gives the veggies a savory depth of flavor.
- Basil pesto I toss it with the zucchini and onion for richness and fresh, nutty flavor.
- Tomatoes+basil are a match made in heaven, so I couldnt resist adding tomato sauce to this dish! It helps make the middle of the casserole saucy and bubbly as it bakes.
- Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese Together, they create a crispy, savory topping for the saucy squash and onions. I like to turn the broiler on for the last few minutes of baking to get them brown and crisp!
Toss the zucchini slices and onions with the pesto, and cover the bottom of a casserole dish with the tomato sauce. Pile in the veggies, and smooth them into an even layer. Sprinkle the panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese on top, and add a pinch of red pepper flakes and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the squash is tender. Enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Also Check: Plutonium Hot Sauce Ingredients
Italian Baked Zucchini Is Not Just For Summer:
For obvious reasons, this dish is best made in the summer months when zucchini is abundant but I will make this all year long, even in the winter. For me, this dish is a substitute for Chicken Parmesan and we would eat that all year long so why not zucchini. It is quick to make and delicious
You can find zucchini all year in the grocery stores so you do not have to wait for summer. It is going to be healthier than the chicken version and less expensive.
I hope you give this a try and see just how delicious this dish is! If you are looking for ways to use zucchini or an easy dish, this is it. This may become your new favorite quick weeknight meal.
Zucchini Spaghetti With Homemade Meat Sauce
This Zucchini Spaghetti with Homemade Meat Sauce is a delicious and hearty meal your family will LOVE! Its low carb, grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free if you omit the cheese. The meat sauce is cooked up quickly and is served over lightened up zucchini noodles making for a healthy weeknight dinner!
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Make Spaghetti With Crispy Zucchini
To make this happen youre going to have two main spots youre working on :
And with minimal effort, look at what youre eating for dinner: a hot, twirly bowl of spaghetti loaded high with cheesy zucchini crispities and fresh basil. Add some extra lemon juice or red pepper flakes to wake it all up and this is not a sad dinner situation.
I have lost track of how many times my husband AND my toddler have gone back for seconds on this. The table just falls silent in delight as we slurp, twirl, and crunch, which, in my life right now, is the best kind of SOS dinner.
Squash Casserole Recipe Tips
- Slice the zucchini as evenly as possible. The more evenly you slice the zucchini, the more evenly it will bake. You dont want thin slices to become mushy before thicker ones cook through! I recommend using a mandoline to make sure that your slices are all the same width.
- Pat the zucchini dry. Zucchini can release a lot of water as it cooks! In order to keep your zucchini casserole from becoming watery, pat the zucchini dry before you toss it with the pesto. Better yet, set the sliced zucchini on a kitchen towel to drain while you prep the other ingredients.
- Smaller squash = better squash. This cheesy zucchini casserole comes out best when its made with small, firm summer squash. Large zucchini have a tendency to be seedy and watery, so I dont recommend using them here.
- Make it vegan. This zucchini casserole is a great recipe to make vegan. Replace the traditional pesto with vegan pesto, and use my vegan Parmesan in the topping. Trust me, you wont miss the cheese one bit!
You May Like: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce