How To Make Cream Cheese Pasta Step By Step
Gather all your ingredients. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Fill and boil the kettle so you have hot water to cook the pasta in.
Step One Melt the butter in the oil in a large pan over a low heat, and sauté the garlic until it is fragrant. Add the cream cheese and stir until it is melted.
While you are doing this, fill a large pan with the freshly boiled water, add a teaspoon of salt, bring back to a rolling boil and start to cook the pasta.
Step Two Once the pasta is nearly cooked, scoop out a cup of the pasta water.
Step Three Add about a third of a cup of the pasta water to the cream cheese sauce. Then bring to a simmer, stirring all the time, to make a thick coating sauce.
Step Four Drain the pasta, give it a good shake and fold into the creamy cheese mixture, with half the grated parmesan, and a generous seasoning of freshly ground black pepper and salt. Give it a all a good toss to mix. Check the consistency of the sauce and add some more pasta water to loosen it if necessary.
As the pasta cools, the sauce will thicken make it slightly runnier than you think it needs to be.
Step Five Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan, serve and eat immediately. A simple green salad dressed with pesto dressing would be perfect with this.
Making Perfect White Sauce
In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter thoroughly. Once it is melted add the flour all at once.
Whisk constantly for just a couple of minutes, just to give the roux a chance to develop some flavor and encourage its thickening properties, while preventing it from getting any color.
In a separate pan, gently warm the milk, being careful to not let it heat or come to a complete boil. At this point, carefully add just a small amount of the warm milk to the pan with the roux, stirring constantly to create a smooth, lump-free mixture.
Once this is achieved, you can add more milk gradually, continuing to stir until all of the milk is added.
Continuing over low heat, cook the sauce for about 5-8 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken until it is shiny and leaves a trail behind the spoon in the bottom of the pan.
Alternately, dip a spoon in the white sauce & draw a finger on the back of the spoon. If it is done perfectly, it leaves an open space meaning it is of the right thick consistency.
Finish your sauce with salt and the seasonings of your choosing and you are on your way to a really great meal!
Tips For Perfect Pasta Sauce
- The key to a great sauce is making it super smooth! Make a thicker cheesy pasta sauce by stirring in heavy cream or sour cream, or make it thinner by stirring in some milk. Avoid using water as it will dilute the flavor.
- To speed up the cooking process and get a smooth sauce faster, set the cream cheese out about 30 minutes before using it.
Also Check: The Source Hot Sauce Death
Why Isn’t My Cheese Sauce Smooth
One reason may be that the rouxthe melted butter and flour mix that thickens the white saucemight be overcooked or burnt. The recipe’s recommended heat and cook times should prevent that. It’s also important to add the dairy slowly and stir constantly while doing so. The cheese may be a factor as well. Freshly shredded cheese works better than packaged shredded cheese. When adding it, the heat should be low to avoid breaking the cheese, which will cause a grainy sauce. Try adding half of the cheese and stir that in until it melts, then add the rest. You can also remove the pan from the heat during that step, heating it only if needed to aid melting.
Cheesy Pasta In Sour Cream Sauce
Looking to cook a quick and delicious meal? Try this cheesy pasta in sour cream sauce!
I love me some pasta whenever Im strapped for time and its lunch time! pasta is really easy to cook and if you find the right sauce to pair it with, youll have yourself a perfectly delicious quick meal!
Ive tried cooking many sauces over the years, but somehow the ones that have the most cheese are also the most delicious!
For this recipe, youll need only few ingredients and even fewer patience. Seriously, while the pasta boils, I assure you the sauce will be ready.
Also Check: Chick Fil A Honey Barbecue Sauce
A Little Bit Of Strategic Cheating Is Okay
I wont deny it: after destroying my twelfth batch of cheese sauce, Ive seriously considered buying sodium citrate and making this nightmare go away. Both sodium citrate and sodium phosphate are chemicals and emulsifiers that can be found in things like ice cream, jams, and processed cheeselike Kraftswhich prevents the fats and waters found in cheese from separating. Its what makes American cheese slices so gooey in grilled cheeses and can keep nacho cheese smooth. The emulsifying salt doesnt have much flavor, but can save those of us doomed to wreck cheese sauces over and over again.
I asked Arevalo if its okay to cheat a little, and she was perfectly supportive. Honestly, I feel like people should feel free to cheat. I have two boys and Im not embarrassed to say Ive made them Annies mac and cheese sometimes, she says. I think whatever gets you in the kitchen and cooking is totally fine! I wouldnt call it cheatingits just another way of doing it.
So if you keep stumbling with yet another gritty cheese sauce and want to try a different method, mixing a bit of sodium citrate with your sauce can do the trick. But if youre ready to brave the waters of yet another cheese sauce, you can also try this recipe from Arevalo:
Easy Cream Cheese Pasta
Creamy, cheesy and so moreish, a plate of Philly pasta is one of my favourite suppers, especially good when you are craving carbs.
Fuss free, and effortless, it is a go-to for midweek meals, eaten curled up on the sofa with a box set and a glass of wine.
This creamy cheese pasta is endlessly adaptable, so you can add in all sorts of flavours. It is equally good with bacon or ham, mushrooms or a different cheese.
If you are feeling grand, fold through some rocket, or make it with black squid ink pasta for a restaurant quality date night meal.
As every Italian knows, the secret to a silky smooth pasta sauce is to add some of the starchy pasta cooking water. This will make your cream cheese pasta sauce go further, and helps it cling to and coat the pasta.
I was taught this trick by a chef in a restaurant kitchen in the back streets of Venice many years ago, and it has now become a habit to scoop out a cup of the cooking liquid from the nearly cooked pasta.
Trust me, it will elevate every single pasta dish you make to the next level!
Recommended Reading: Kikkoman Sweet Umami Teriyaki Sauce
Using The Cheese Sauce
While mac n cheese is the obvious choice, this cheese sauce is also an amazing dip or drizzle for vegetables, especially broccoli. Or how about pouring it over a baked potato and crumbling some bacon on top?
Its so good you can even just dip bread or crackers in it. Go for it!
Id love to hear all the ways you find to enjoy this.
- 1 tsp. Dijion mustard
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
Tips For Making Cheesy Spaghetti
- You can use any type of pasta that would be good with a cheese sauce like bowtie, penne, linguine, or radiatore.
- Use good quality sharp cheddar and white cheddar cheese. It really does make a difference.
- I use 2% milk but in a pinch I have used skim and whole with good success.
- This recipe requires frequent whisking for a nice smooth sauce.
- If the sauce becomes too thick simply add a couple tablespoons of milk or low sodium chicken broth.
- You can add cooked rotisserie chicken, cooked bacon, sauteed onions and garlic, cooked peas, steamed broccoli, or sauteed asparagus.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Also Check: Costco Rao’s Marinara Sauce
Make White Sauce Pasta
7. Use a steel pan for making the sauce. Add 2 tablespoons butter.
8. As soon as the butter melts, add 1 teaspoon grated garlic and fry for 30 to 40 seconds. Then immediately add 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour.
9. Turn down the heat to low to medium. Saute well until the flour loses the raw smell, for about a minute. Make sure the color of the flour does not change. This step is very important. Since this is a small quantity, the roux can become dry and clumpy. Its just fine.
10. Lower the flame completely and slowly pour ¼ cup milk .
11. Begin to incorporate the roux into the milk using a whisk or a spatula.
12. Dissolve the flour completely to a creamy sauce. Ensure the flame is low at this stage.
13. Once you see a smooth sauce, free of lumps, pour the rest of the milk in 2 batches and stir. Simmer until the white sauce thickens. Keep stirring & scrape the sides for a uniform sauce.
14. To check if the white sauce is done perfectly, dip a spoon or a spatula into the sauce. It must coat the back of the spoon well as seen in the picture below. Alternately You can draw a line with your finger on the back of the spoon, you should see it clean with a space. This means it is thick enough.
15. Add 2 to 3 tbsps cheese , pepper and oregano. You can also add a pinch of ground nutmeg if you want. I used cream cheese here. You can use parmesan or cheddar.
17. Add vegetables and cooked pasta to the white sauce. Mix everything together.
More Pasta recipesRed sauce pasta
How To Make Cheese Sauce
Also Check: How To Get Tomato Stains Out
Why Make Pasta With Cream Cheese
- It is seriously easy, using just a few everyday ingredients.
- Creamy cheesy pasta is FAST ready in the time it takes the spaghetti to cook.
- My classic Italian pasta sauce trick delivers restaurant quality.
- It is adaptable easy enough for a simple family supper but also smart enough for date night.
- Satisfies all your carb cravings but lighter than a cream based sauce.
- It is frugal nothing fancy and expensive here, unless you want to buy artisan pasta!
Instant Pot Velveeta Mac And Cheese
You May Like: Raos Homemade Sauce
Cold Milk Vs Warm Milk
Expert chefs always suggest using cold milk as hot milk can end up with lumps of roux in the white sauce. With cold milk you get enough time to incorporate the roux into the milk before it begins to simmer. So no lumps.
However cold milk can end up with instant splatters when added to the very hot roux. So bring down the temperature of the roux slightly before adding cold milk or warm up the milk slightly before stirring it to the hot roux.
There is no one way to make perfect smooth white sauce. In this recipe, it is warm roux + warm milk = no lumps. So if you 2x or 3x this recipe, do follow this as it makes a lot of difference when made in larger quantities.
How To Make Mac And Cheese Sauce
Step 1: Make Roux by this point, you already know the ins and outs of a roux and how to make it , so were going to skip to step 2.
Step 2: Whisk in Milk slowly add milk to the roux, whisking constantly so it doesnt burn. Continue to whisk for around 4-6 minutes, or until things begin to thicken.
Dont rush this process. we PROMISE things will thicken!
Step 3: Remove from Heat once things are thick, turn the heat off.
Step 4: Whisk in Shredded Cheese then, add shredded cheese, garlic, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and whisk until the cheese melts.
Give your cheese sauce a taste and add more hot sauce, as desired.
Step 5: Enjoy! mix mac and cheese sauce with macaroni noodles and serve immediately.
Read Also: Tomatoes And Gout
Mac And Cheese Variations
- Pumpkin mac and cheese stir in 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- Green chile mac and cheese stir in 1 small can of chopped green chiles
- Cheeseburger mac and cheese stir in 1 lb of seasoned browned ground beef, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Taco mac and cheese stir in 1 lb of seasoned browned ground beef, 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, and 2 chopped tomatoes. Top with Mexican 4 cheese blend.
- Bacon mac and cheese sprinkle on crispy bacon
- Tuna mac and cheese stir in 2 cans of drained tuna and 1 cup of frozen green peas
- Green mac and cheese stir in 2 tablespoons pesto, and 2 cups cooked chopped broccoli
Broiling Will Make Mozzarella Cheese Bubble
Broiling will make mozzarella cheese bubble. Put all the cheese on the 1 pizza in tiny globs, so at least the cheese was still well dispersed. Or, make pretzel bites to dip into this amazing homemade cheese sauce. This may be the best cheese sauce ever! This recipe shows you how to make delicious mozzarella cheese from scratch. It will create a beautifully crisp, cheesy golden crust over the baked chicken. Press meat around the piece of cheese, fully enclosing it. I have tried many and failed. Cheese giant kraft also gained one of our top spots in this test. Italian bread is spread with a cream cheese mixture, then topped with meatballs, spaghetti sauce If you are looking for a great cheesy appetizer, try mozzarella sticks. Kraft’s mozzarella was a bit firmer than others in our test, which makes it great for grating. Cook pasta shells according to package directions for al dente, about 9 minutes. Take a golf ball sized piece of the ground beef mixture and place a piece of mozzarella in the middle. Both ingredients are popular in italy and in the mediterranean region.
CHEESY BAKED TORTELLINI CASSEROLE WITH MEAT SAUCE from kitchmenow.com
Don’t Miss: Best Spaghetti Sauce At Walmart
Mozzarella Cheese Sauce Recipe For Pasta
This cheese also had a nice level of salt, and it reminded a mozzarella cheese sauce recipe for pasta. The best part of this recipe is a bubbly melted mozzarella cheese on top of the baked chicken. Cook pasta shells according to package directions for al dente, about 9 minutes. Repeat until all meat is used.
Made in a Day from madeinaday.com
I have tried many and failed. This cheese also had a nice level of salt, and it reminded a Cook pasta shells according to package directions for al dente, about 9 minutes. Since mozzarella is a soft cheese, it works better to freeze the cheese first before frying and it thaws perfectly without leaking. If you are looking for a great cheesy appetizer, try mozzarella sticks. Put all the cheese on the 1 pizza in tiny globs, so at least the cheese was still well dispersed. Repeat until all meat is used. Using your hands, mix until fully combined.
Why Youll Love It
We arent joking when we say this baked ravioli is going to be a family favorite and heres why.
Its made with cheese ravioli, cheesy sauce, and a tasty cheese mixture. The more cheese the better
You can include your kiddos when assembling this baked ravioli.
Choose your favorite store-bought ravioli when youre in a pinch for time.
Read Also: Chick Fil A Sauces Honey Bbq
Selecting The Right Cheese And Pasta
In addition to not scorching your roux, something that helps prevent breaking your sauce is knowing which types of cheese to put into it. You need a cheese that melts really well and you need a cheese that has a really strong flavor. If you use mild cheddar, its going to just taste like cream sauce. Youre going to taste maybe flour and the butter, youre not going to get that cheesiness. Arevalo suggests an aged cheddar and likes to mix hers with Monterey Jack, which has great meltability. I also really like adding a salty cheeseso either pecorino or a parmesan cheese. It doesnt melt so well but it does give it this extra dimension of flavor, Arevalo says.
Once the cheese sauce is silky and ready, youre also going to need the right pasta shape to help carry all of that flavor. There is a method to the elbows madness. The cheese sauce works really well with a pasta that has ridges and thicker walls. If the pasta is too thin, it just falls apart and gets mushy, Arevalo explains. Thats probably why its common to see rigatoni, elbows, shells, and cavatappi in cheese sauces. What you have to do is cook the pasta once, maybe rinse it off to cool it down so it doesnt overcook, and then you cook it again in the cheese sauce so you want something thats thicker and is not going to break down. If youre using fresh pasta, which is what Arevalo serves at Pasta Louise, the pasta doesnt need to be precookedyou can toss it in the cheese sauce and bake it straight away.