Best Sloppy Joes Recipe:
In under 30 minutes, you can have this quick easy dinner idea that your family will love. You can probably cook this in 20 minutes! Homemade sloppy joes are so delicious and our family loves this recipe. They are really easy to modify for what you have on hand and so versatile.
We have even added a tiny bit of worcestershire sauce and garlic powder to the ground beef mixture. You can try using chili powder, red pepper flakes, bbq sauce, olive oil or whatever you prefer. It really is such a great recipe and we all love sloppy joe meat! It never gets old and we enjoy this recipe so much. Try toasted buns next time! It is really good!
Pro Tips For Making Homemade Sloppy Joes:
- Before you get started, toast your buns. Toasting the bun makes ALL the difference, and only takes a few minutes. Crank up the heat under the skillet to high, and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the buns, then place the buns cut side up on a cooling rack after theyre toasted.
- Watch the sauce so that it doesnt reduce too much. When too much of the sauce reduces, it gives you a dry sloppy joe mixture. Everyone likes theirs a little differently, but for me, I cook it down so that I can see the bits of meat, and when I drag my spoon through the sauce, it leaves a trail where the sauce is parted. If the sauce immediately flows back into that trail, its too liquid-y. I want a few seconds before the sauce covers the trail, which gives me a saucy consistency thats not too liquid.
- Choose your favorite type of bun. I usually go for either a pretzel bun , or a brioche bun.
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
I’ve got nothing against store-bought Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce, but these homemade Sloppy Joes are so much tastier — and almost as easy as popping open a can! The old-fashioned recipe is a classic American comfort food that dates back to the early 20th century, and it’s no surprise that the sweet-and-savory sandwiches have been loved for generations.
In fact, Marilyn Brown, the Director of the Consumer Test Kitchen at H.J. Heinz, suggests that Sloppy Joes originated with the “loose meat sandwiches” sold in Sioux City, Iowa in the 1930s. Those sandwiches were , which might explain today’s term for the simple recipe, Sloppy Joes. These sandwiches consist of a combination of ground beef in a tomato-based sauce, piled high on hamburger buns. What’s not to love?!
Also Check: What Is In Mcdonald’s Special Sauce
Make Ahead Sloppy Joe Filling
The filling is, in fact, even better when you make it a day or two ahead and reheat it heat the buns right before you serve. This is a good recipe to remember if you are going to have an onslaught of teenagers coming over. The filling also freezes well for up to 3 months, well sealed.
Sloppy Joes: The slightly sweet and tangy sauce, the soft buns, the glorious messiness of itwhats not to love?
Manwich Sloppy Joe Recipe
The classic sloppy Joe, as we know it today, is mostly associated with Manwich, but it was actually born from Loose Meat Sandwiches, popular in Iowa. It is said that a cook, appropriately named “Joe”, added tomato sauce to a loose meat sandwich, and a new classic was born!
This homemade sloppy Joes recipe recreates much of what I love about Manwich, while taking these classic sandwiches to the next level! The sauce bursts with a deeper, richer, flavor that I absolutely love! Most importantly, you probably have all of the ingredients for it already in your kitchen!
Plus, let’s be honest, we all feel a bit lazy dumping Manwich from a can and calling it dinner. If you make my homemade Manwich recipe, it not only tastes better, but you get the satisfaction of making something from scratch!
You May Like: Rao Sauces
How To Make The Old Fashioned Way
What Is A Mississippi Pot Roast
If you havent heard of this internet sensation, heres the breakdown. You add a chuck roast, packet of ranch dressing mix, packet of au jus mix, pepperoncini peppers , and some butter to a crockpot and cook it on low until its fork tender . It has a phenomenally savory and tangy flavor, similar to my Shredded Italian Beef!
Recommended Reading: Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce Costco
Why Are Sloppy Joes Called Sloppy Joes
There are many origin stories of the sloppy joe. One is that it was born in 1918 at a bar in Havana, Cuba, owned by José Abeal y Otero. He changed the name of his establishment after his American friends gave him the nickname Sloppy Joe. He had sandwiches on his menu, but they werent much like the sloppy joes we enjoy today.
Another story goes that a second Sloppy Joes Bar was christened in 1933 in Key West, Florida. Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway was a regular at the bar, and suggested that the owner rename it after the popular bar in Cuba. This is where the sandwich was crafted into the more recognizable version we know today.
Most people, however, believe that sloppy joes appeared first in the 20s from a cook at Ye Old Tavern in Sioux City, Iowa, by the name of Joe. He combined tomato sauce with seasoned ground beef in a loose meat sandwich, and the first recipe for how to make sloppy joes was created.
While the master chef behind this beloved sandwich is still up for debate, the most important fact remainsthey are so good to eat.
All The Savory And Tangy Flavors Of A Classic Mississippi Roast In A Quick
Last week I shared the absolute BEST homemade sloppy joes and you guys are already going crazy for it! Im SO happy, because its one of my favorites! The idea for this twist on traditional sloppy joes literally came to me as I was driving down the road , and I immediately pulled into a parking lot so I could write the idea down.
I LOVE the flavors in the famous Mississippi pot roast, and Ive been working on perfecting a recipe to make it from scratch for you all. Traditionally its made with a packet of au jus mix and a packet of ranch dressing, which I always found made it too salty for my tastes. That from scratch recipe is in the works, but I wanted to bring some of those flavor elements into a quick-cooking weeknight dinner recipe.
My friend Sabrina is the QUEEN of unique sloppy joe recipes , and Im totally not trying to take over her place so this rounds out my sloppy joe recipes but I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as I did!
Recommended Reading: Kikkoman Garlic Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
Ingredients For Super Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Ground Beef
- Sandwich buns
Step 1: Brown Meat
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain.
Step 2: Whisk Together Sauce
Whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the sauce.
Step 3: Add Sauce to Skillet
Add the sauce to the ground beef mixture in the skillet and stir to combine.
Step 4: Simmer
Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until it reaches the desired consistency.
Step 5: Serve on Buns
Spoon the mixture onto hamburger buns and serve warm.
The Very Best Sloppy Joe Recipe
The VERY BEST Homemade Sloppy Joe recipe is not only delicious, but it’s quick and easy to make using real ingredients. Hundreds of rave reviews agree!
There aren’t many dinners that you can get on the table faster than whipping up Sloppy Joes. And while the store-bought sauce that rhymes with San-wich might make this meal even quicker, it’s got some less-than-ideal ingredients. After all, I tend to avoid high fructose corn syrup in my sweets, much less my dinner.
So what’s a Sloppy Joe-lovin’ family to do? Why, put together your own quick and easy, all-natural sauce, of course! Once you make this amazing homemade Sloppy Joe recipe, y’all, you won’t go back.
Don’t Miss: Philadelphia Pasta Sauce
What Is The Difference Between A Sloppy Joe And Manwich
Manwich is the brand name of a canned seasoned sloppy joe sauce. It came to market in 1969 and was pitched as a quick, easy meal for the entire family, because you simply add it to cooked ground beef in a skillet. Ive actually never had it, so I cant compare my recipe to that sauce. But I do know that anything from scratch is going to be better than anything from a can.
The thing is, homemade Sloppy Joes are just as easy, so why not go with real ingredients and an end result that will taste amazing!
Ingredients For This Recipe
The sloppy joe sandwiches I ate growing up used just 3 ingredients for sloppy joe sauce — brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard. That is how I continued to make them after moving out and getting married. They lacked in flavor so we rarely craved them for dinner. But, ever since I created THIS sloppy joe recipe, we want them all the time! Gather these ingredients:
Grocery List for Sloppy Joes
- Ground beef
- Tomato paste
- Dijon mustard
This isn’t super spicy, but it can be a little spicy for kids. I wait to add the chili powder until after serving theirs.
If you cannot find Mexican stewed tomatoes then you can substitute with a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes instead. Make sure you drain it first. I can easily find the Mexican stewed tomatoes at one grocery store, but for some reason never at another.
Read Also: Rao’s Sauce Where To Buy
How To Make This Recipe
How To Make Homemade Sloppy Joes With Tomato Sauce
The VERY BEST Homemade Sloppy Joe recipe is not only delicious, but its quick and easy to make using real ingredients instead of a store-bought can of sauce. Hundreds of raving reviews agree!
There arent many dinners that you can get on the table faster than whipping up Sloppy Joes. And while the store-bought sauce that rhymes with San-wich might make this meal even quicker, its got some less-than-ideal ingredients. After all, I tend to avoid high fructose corn syrup in my sweets, much less my dinner.
Read Also: Rao Marinara Sauce Costco
How To Freeze Sloppy Joes:
You can freeze them in a freezer bag. Then reheat in a crockpot or in a pan for an even faster dinner idea! Try sloppy joe recipe slow cooker version and come home to dinner ready to enjoy! This is great for reheating what you put in the freezer and makes dinner so simple.
We also like to freeze them in silicone cupcake pans, Then pop them out and place in a freezer bag. Now you can have a lunch or dinner for 1 in no time! This is such an easy dinner idea, but when you freeze them it makes it an even faster dinner idea.
How To Turn Spaghetti Sauce Into Sloppy Joes
Recipe 1: Leftover Spaghetti and Meat Sauce Sloppy Joe’sIngredients:
- 2 cups prepared spaghetti meat sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns split open
Recipe 2: jar of pasta sauce and fresh ground hamburger Sloppy Joe’sIngredients:
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 cups prepared pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns,split open
Don’t Miss: Are Tomatoes Ok For Gout
Sloppy Joe Sauce Recipe Ingredients:
To make this sloppy joe sauce recipe, you will need:
- Spices: We use a combination of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, sugar, and black pepper.
- Bell pepper: We love adding them when we can but you can totally omit them if you don’t like them.
- Tomato puree: The base of the sauce.
- Beef broth: Use vegetable broth if you are vegetarian.
- White vinegar: Needed for the classic sloppy joe flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce: We felt like something was missing so we added a couple of tablespoons. Perfection!
Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce
We have one sloppy Joe recipe up but the sauce isnt homemade and as decadent as this one! Add this to your ground turkey, chicken or beef! We enjoyed this on a Daves Killer Brand bun like a burger and over a bed of mashed sweet potatoes but it could even be eaten alone for a lower carb option and still be delicious! Pair with a side of roasted veggies or side salad!
- 1 lb can of diced tomatoes in paste
- 6T Low Sodium Ketchup
- 200g Yellow Onion, diced
- 2T Mustard Seed Powder
- Sautee onion & garlic over medium-high heat in a small amount of oil
- Add your protein until browned
- Combine canned tomatoes with the rest of the spices and ingredients
- pour over meat and let simmer for 10 minutes
Weigh your entire batch of sauce and divide by number of ounces to get per-ounce macros.
Read Also: The Modern Gourmet Hot Sauce Scoville
Need To Know How Much To Make
When cooking for a crowd, it can be hard to figure out how much food to purchase– especially meat!
This recipe makes six good-sized sandwiches. So, if you need to make sloppy joes for 50, you’ll need to multiply the recipe by 8 and buy 8 pounds of ground meat.
One good rule of thumb is is to estimate about 2 and a half ounces of raw meat per person when dealing with ground meat.
Why This Recipe Works
The tricky part about sloppy joe sauce is balancing the flavors. It should be sweet and tangy but still let the flavor of the meat shine through. This recipe has a perfect blend of those sweet and tangy notes and an additional depth of flavor created by adding diced green chiles and Worcestershire sauce for a perfectly balanced taste.
You May Like: Texas Pete Recipes
Sloppy Joes Recipe Variations
This sloppy Joe recipe is the way I love it, but can easily be modified to suit your taste buds.
- Health conscience? Use ground turkey instead of beef.
- Swap out the ketchup for BBQ sauce.
- Too sweet? Cut back on the brown sugar.
- Like it spicier? Stir in some chopped jalapeños.
- Want it richer? Use beef or chicken broth instead of the water.
- Hate vegetables? Omit the onion and bell pepper.
- Fill a hollowed out bun with sloppy Joe meat, top with cheese, and stick it under the broiler for a couple minutes.
- Instead of a bun, top a baked potato with the sloppy Joe mixture! Yummy!
- Have a crowd or want leftovers for the next day? Easily double the recipe.
How To Make Sloppy Joes:
1. Brown the beef. Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender and translucent.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and allow everything to simmer together for 30 minutes. .
3. Serve. After letting the sloppy joe mixture simmer, serve it warm on a toasted hamburger bun!
Also Check: Lethal Ingestion Hot Sauce Scoville