How Long To Cook A Meatloaf Recipe
The cooking time will vary based on the size. For our dish, we use 2lb beef, which needs to be cooked at 400°F for about 45 minutes. Then, spread a little more sauce on top and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the glaze is nice and sticky.
Below you can find the general oven cooking time for a 2lb meatloaf:
- If baked at 350 degrees F, go with about 55-65 minutes.
- If baked at 375 degrees F, go with about 50-55 minutes.
- At 400 degrees F, the cooking time should be about 45-50 minutes.
Remember, to check the internal temperature of the loaf with a meat thermometer. This is the best way to ensure an accurate reading. Fully cooked, it should have an internal temperature of 160°F. Lastly, let your meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to absorb into it. Also, resting will ensure not to fall apart.
Tips For Making The Best Meatloaf With Brown Gravy
Onions. Onions people. Onions are what makes this meatloaf recipe taste as good as it does.
Not undercooked crunchy onions, but tender, super sweet onions that practically melt into the meatloaf. SO make sure in the first part of this recipe you take the time to really cook the onions down.
Super sweet onions are really a big part of why this meatloaf recipe is the best.
The other trick to giving this meatloaf the best flavor and texture is not over mixing the meat. Just mix the meat well enough to get all your ingredients combined and walk away.
Its all going in the same spot anyway.
Lastly, you have to make sure that you season your meatloaf properly before you go through all the trouble of shaping it into that loaf and cooking it. Take a small ball of the meat after youve mixed it and fry it up really quick in a pan.
Taste it to make sure its seasoned to your liking then move on to your loaf shaping.
How To Make Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce:
1. In a large deep pan or dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté until softened . Add minced garlic and 1/2 cup parsley and stir 30 seconds or until garlic is fragrant. Transfer to a slow cooker.
2. In the same pan , add ground beef, season with 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and sauté until cooked through and no longer red . For a leaner sauce, you can spoon off and discard excess oil at this point keeping 3 Tbsp oil in the pan. Add 1 cup white wine and sauté on med/high heat until wine has completely evaporated Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Add 1 cup milk, 1 bay leaf, 1 Tbsp sugar, and both cans of tomatoes with their juice. Stir to combine.
4. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. If it it seems too liquidy, let it cook with the lid off for the last 30 minutes. See how clean it is after I took out the bag? I just wiped the condensation with a paper towel. Easy peasy!
5. Season with more salt to taste . Serve generous amounts of bolognese sauce over your favorite pasta, topped with cheese and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
You May Like: World’s Strongest Hot Sauce
Why Does Meatloaf Fall Apart
- You may not have used enough binding ingredients. This recipe calls for plenty of breadcrumbs.
- It may be over baked. Fifty five minutes is all it takes.
- Or, you may have sliced into it while it was still too hot. I always let my meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing into it.
Ive been playing around with this recipe for the past few months, making it many times. And, I didnt mind the repetition at all because I do believe I ended up with the best classic meatloaf recipe ever.
More Comfort Food Recipes:
What Youll Need:
Large skillet or dutch oven, slow cooker and Reynolds® Slow Cooker Liner
*I know many chefs esteem Imported Italian whole plum tomatoes, but if you cant find them in your grocery store , the best quality you can buy will do!
Hold the phone! Have you tried these Reynolds slow cooker liners? They are so handy. Im particularly fond of them for slow cooker meat dishes because those are the ones that need the longest cooking times and you otherwise have to soak or scrub your slow cooker for awhile. Youll see below when I removed the liner it was clean clean!
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Freeze It
It’s always nice to have a prepared meatloaf in the freezer, especially when you don’t feel like cooking!
The best way to freeze a cooked meatloaf is to allow it to cool after baking , wrap the whole meatloaf in plastic wrap, then again in foil. Don’t slice it.
When ready to serve, remove foil and place in fridge to thaw.
Once thawed, remove plastic wrap, cover meat with foil and bake t 325 or 350ºF till the center reaches 150ºF.
Remove it from the oven, add the tomato sauce mixture, then put it back in the oven for 15 minutes or so, until it thickens and the internal temperature is 160ºF.
I do not recommend freezing raw meatloaf due to the uncooked eggs. Eggs don’t freeze very well and the texture and structure of the classic meatloaf changes.
Serve meatloaf with tomato sauce with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans! If you have any leftover, which I never do, you can always make a mean meatloaf sandwich!
How To Make The Best Meatloaf With Traditional Pasta Sauce
August 6, 2019 By: Katie
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are my own because I love giving you helpful tutorials!
Make the BEST Meatloaf Recipe that your kids will ask to eat for dinner! Made with Heinz Classico Pasta Sauce.
There is no longer a reason to dread Meatloaf for dinner! My kids love eating meatloaf and you will too once you try this totally awesome yummy recipe. It will quickly become one of your family favorites, just like it is one of ours.
It all starts with Heinz Classico Family Favorites line of sauces. There are lots of great combinations of flavors, but for my meatloaf, I prefer the Traditional.
You can find Heinz Classico Family Favorites Pasta Sauce at Walmart in the Spaghetti Sauce Isle. But dont let it fool you. This sauce isnt just for spaghetti.
You May Like: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Walmart
Tips On How To Make The Best Meatloaf:
- DO NOT OVERMIX which can result in a tough/dense meatloaf
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper with edges hanging over the pan for easier removal of meatloaf.
- Keep the juices from the pan and pour over the sliced meatloaf before serving.
- Chop the onion finely, allowing it to cook through
- Gently press meat into the pan so it holds its shape.
- Rest meatloaf for 10 minutes before slicing
What To Serve With Meatloaf
Dollop of ketchup, a leafy salad or steamed greens with dressing and you have yourself an epic plate of home cooked comfort-food bliss, with the added bonus of meatloaf sandwiches to enjoy tomorrow! Nagi x
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Why Does My Meatloaf Always Fall Apart
- As stated above, it is important to use leaner meat but mixed it with milk and panko breadcrumbs. Usually, if fatty ground beef is used, especially with too much liquid, when cooked, the fat gets out, and the dish could fall apart.
- To avoid this problem, use leaner ground beef, but balanced it out with eggs, milk, and bread crumbs. These are key ingredients for a perfect meatloaf. It will also help keep the dish together and give it a correct balance.
- Similarly, you could add some cheese to the mix. This will also help it keep its form while maintaining a puffy look.
Can I Bake Meatloaf On A Baking Sheet
For crispier edges, bake meatloaf on a baking sheet. Out of foil, create a self-made pan with edges to keep the drippings from the meatloaf as its baked. Shape meatloaf and place into the foil. Continue with baking instructions. NOTE: Baking time may slightly vary, depending on the shape and thickness of the meatloaf.
You May Like: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Why Meatloaf With Brown Gravy Is One Of Our Favorite Recipes
Meatloaf night is big at our house we are a meatloaf loving family. This Brown Gravy Meatloaf recipe is one we make very often, too.
Its a perfectly seasoned meatloaf covered with a homemade brown gravy that only takes minutes to make! it seems like youre either a meatloaf with brown gravy person or a classic meatloaf with tomato glaze person.
Homestyle Meatloaf With Brown Sugar Glaze
Posted on Last updated:
Make ahead dinners are more than freezer food and slow cooker soups. This homestyle meatloaf with brown sugar glaze can be tossed together the night before and baked after you get in from work. Itll be done before the news is off.
I guess Im going to have to castrate my own cow. I told my husband over dinner a couple of nights ago.
Most men would have choked on their dinner, but my husband never broke his chewing stride.
Do you know how to castrate a cow? He asked.
(This is where most men would say something like Honey Ill help you or I dont want you to get hurt, Ill make sure it gets done but not my husband. Hes totally willing to let me go it on my own.
Well I dont know how to do it your way but I do know one We went on to discuss topics that dont belong on a food blog, but lets just say I am no further in my quest for fresh beef than I was when I started. We have black Angus cattle in the pasture right outside, but Im still buying my meat at the grocery. Why?
Mostly because by the time Jeremy decides we might make a beef the calf is 400 pounds and almost looking us in the eye. Its too late then folks. I have had too many bruises to name from my husbands big cattle working ideas and I dont need any more.
Chop your veggies small, or leave them big if thats your style and dont leave off the brown sugar glazeits a sweet flavor punch you cant miss.
Also Check: Where Was Texas Pete Invented
How Long To Cook Meatloaf
A meatloaf made with 2 pounds of ground beef will take about 1 hour to fully cook through. However, the meatloaf cook time may vary depending on how much beef you are using and the method you use to cook your meatloaf. For example, meatloaf baked on a baking sheet will take less time to cook than meatloaf housed in a loaf pan.
When in doubt, use a thermometer to ensure it is properly cooked before removing it from the oven to serve. FoodSafety.gov recommends cooking ground beef to a minimum temperature of 160° before serving. Keep in mind your meatloaf will continue to rise in temperature a few degrees as it rests.
Dairy Keeps Meatloaf Moist
Milk and other dairy products, like heavy cream and buttermilk, contain both water and fat, adding two types of moisture to our meatloaf. There’s a long-held theory that milk can tenderize ground meat, and this is the reason often cited for cooking ground meat in milk to make a Bolognese-style ragù. I’m pretty skeptical about this. Milk is mainly water, with some milk fat and a few proteins thrown in. What could cause it to tenderize meat?
Some sources claim that adding milk limits the cooking temperature to 212°F , which keeps meat from overcooking. What? Limiting temperature to 212°F? What good does that do? Meat toughens at temperatures a good 70 to 75°F below this threshold. Besides, plain old water will perform that function just as well. Indeed, cooking three batches of meat side by side, one simmered in milk, one simmered in water, and one allowed to simmer in its own juices, left me with three batches of meat that were equally tough. Fact of the matter is, milk does not tenderize meat. The only way to guarantee tender meat is not to overcook it. And that’s a simple matter of using a thermometer when you bake the meatloaf.
Milk does, on the other hand, add moisture and fat and is worth including for that fact alone. Heavy cream works better. Better still is buttermilk, which has a unique tang that adds depth and complexity to the finished dish.
Read Also: What Alfredo Sauce Is Keto Friendly
Meatloaf With Bbq Sauce
Recipe may contain gluten, milk, fish, shellfish and soy.
Disclaimer: This recipe is a member recipe. It has not been tested by the taste.com.au team.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Coles Instant Coffee Powder
- 30g butter
- Remove meatloaf from oven, carefully pour off any surplus fat. Pour BBQ Sauce over meatloaf, return to oven and bake for further 45 minutes, basting frequently with sauce.
Did you make this?
Recipe by taste member, LyndyLou
Why This Meatloaf Recipe Works
Never results in a soggy or oily meatloaf
The type of pan you use, as well as the ratio of eggs to breadcrumbs and meat is what makes this recipe work perfectly every time ! The ratio is roughly: 2 parts ground beef, 1 part breadcrumbs, 2 eggs per pound of beef.
The chopped onion and bell pepper add bulk to the meatloaf, resulting in a deliciously seasoned meatloaf that is tender, yet firm enough to slice with a knife.
- It is probably the quintessential “comfort food” of all time..side of mashed potatoes, please?
- The leftovers are awesome the next day
- Easy to make and easy clean-up! One mixing bowl and one baking pan
- Really nice flavor and texture
Read Also: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Make Meatloaf
Hunts Meatloaf Sauce Copycat Recipe
288 People Used
How to make classic meatloaf with seasoned tomato…
Meatloaf recipe and with homemade tomato sauce, Easy…
Tomato Sauce Meatloaf Recipe in our Volume One Cookbook
AIR FRIED MEATLOAF in INSTANT POT DUO CRISP or NINJA…
Hunts Pasta Sauce Meat Flavored How To Hotdish Recipe…
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Wings Sauce Recipe
Tips And Commonly Asked Questions:
- What to serve meatballs with? Serve the meatballs with gravy over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or your favorite pasta.
- Can the meatballs be baked? Yes. Line the baking sheet with foil. Bake the meatballs at 400°F, 12-15 minutes or until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers at 165°F.
- Can I freeze the meatballs? Yes. One the meatballs are cooked and cooled, arrange them on a baking sheet and freeze. Then transfer frozen meatballs to a freezer bag. Thaw overnight and continue with the recipe.
- Uniform in size- Youll want to be sure to shape the meatballs so they are uniform in size for even cooking. Tip: Use a small ice cream scoop for even meatballs.
How To Make A Homemade Meatloaf Recipe From Scratch
This is a simple classic dish that should be ready in no time. For a quick reference, please watch the recipe video in the recipe card. But the general steps are as follows:
Recommended Reading: What Alfredo Sauce Is Keto Friendly