Spaghetti Sauce Made Using Tomato Sauce
Transform 2 cans of tomato sauce into a delicious, savory spaghetti sauce thatll fill all the bellies around your table tonight! Pasta sauce has never been easier or more affordable.
Hey, friends! Are you weathering the storms ok? Times are tough right now all around. I think were all feeling it on some level. There is currently some food hoarding going on, which has depleted the grocery shelves a bit. Hopefully, though, you have a few cans of tomato sauce sitting in your pantry because that is all you need to create a delicious and filling spaghetti sauce for tonights dinner!
I truly hope you are doing well and staying healthy during this uncertain time. If there is ever anything you would like me to cover that relates to food or recipe creation, Im all ears! This is a great recipe that my family loves and I hope yours does, too.
Can I Make Spaghetti Sauce From Whole Tomatoes
If you want to make spaghetti sauce completely from scratch using whole tomatoes rather than canned, youll need to peel your tomatoes and remove the stems. The easiest way to peel tomatoes is to blanch them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then immediately place them into an ice bath. The skins can then be easily removed. We also have a different recipe for Fire Roasted Spaghetti Sauce.
Whats In This Homemade Spaghetti And Meat Sauce
While I have several quick and easy spaghetti recipes like my pasta pomodoro or spaghetti carbonara that are ready in minutes, this spaghetti and meat sauce recipe is the ultimate Sunday, long-simmer dinner.
This is the type of pasta dinner recipe you can easily have at the ready thanks to a simply stocked pantry and a few foundation refrigerator ingredients I can always find at my local Smiths Marketplace / Kroger store.
My Moms spaghetti recipe is both Italian in its inspiration and American in its popularity. It doesnt call for anything extraordinary. In fact, its totally basic, and thats what makes it all the better.
Heres whats in this spaghetti and meat sauce:
You May Like: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Make Pasta Sauce With Tomato Sauce Base
10 Minute Spaghetti Recipe with tomato sauce, garlic and Parmesan. I call it a million dollar spaghetti because it is quick and easy but tastes like a fancy Italian restaurant dinner.
Ground turkey pasta, chicken alfredo and Tuscan chicken pasta are other 30 minute meals in our dinner rotation.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Cook Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
1) 600 g/18 oz of spaghetti 2) 100 g/3.5 oz of red onions, chopped3) 2 tbsp of olive oil4) salt and ground white pepper to taste to taste5) 400 g/14 oz of fresh or canned tomatoes, peeled and chopped6) 2 garlic cloves or to taste, chopped7) 700 ml/24 fl oz of tomato broth8) a few fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp of dried basil9) a small rosemary twig or 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary10) fresh juice from a lemon11) 1 tbsp of granulated sugar12) 300 g/10 oz of grated Parmesan cheese
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
About This Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
I use four different forms of canned tomatoes to make this homemade spaghetti sauce: tomato paste, crushed tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes with their juice.
Although homemade spaghetti sauce requires a nice long simmer on the stove, most of that time is hands-off. You could also use a slow cooker to simmer the spaghetti sauce on low for 8 hours.
Why bother making homemade when you can buy a jar of sauce at the grocery store? Once you taste this sauce, youll know the answer to that question! Anything thats freshly made beats canned by a long shot. Plus you can be confident in knowing that the sauce you make is preservative and additive free, and made with love.
Listen for the Grazie thats sure to come your way. The correct response to that is Prego!.
How To Make Tomato Cucumber Salad:
- Slice vegetables. Cut your cherry tomatoes in half and cut your cucumbers into 1/4 coins and add them to a bowl.
- Toss with dressing. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top, toss the salad, and season it will red onion and basil. Its that easy!
Make Ahead Instructions: This salad is easy and freshest when made right before serving, but you can prep it ahead of time if necessary. Cut vegetables and store them separately in the refrigerator. Toss with oil and vinegar when ready to serve.
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Pepper Sauce Recipe
How To Make Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
Everything cooks in one pot. Thats why I love my 6 quart Dutch oven so much!
Why so much salt? Dont worry. You will not eat 2.5 teaspoons salt. It is important to cook spaghetti with salt to prevent pasta from sticking. And to add flavor during cooking.
- Cook spaghetti. Fill large Dutch oven or pot with cold water 3/4 full and bring to a boil. Add 2 tsp salt and spaghetti. Separate pasta with tongs a few times during first 2 minutes of cooking to ensure it does not stick. Keep cooking uncovered for 5 more minutes or until al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta. Taste spaghetti for doneness towards the end by grabbing one strand onto a plate with tongs. Do not overcook until too soft. The key to tasty pasta is firm cooked pasta. Drain in a colander.
- Cook garlic. Return pot to medium heat and add olive oil, 4 garlic cloves and oregano. Cook for 20 seconds, stirring constantly. Garlic cooks fast, so dont walk away and not burn. Turn off the heat.
- Add drained pasta, tomato sauce, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and 1 more fresh garlic clove. Stir gently until warmed through. That 1 clove of fresh garlic at the end is a must!
How To Can Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
If you have loads of tomatoes and you are wanting to can some spaghetti sauce to use later, we have the perfect recipe for you! It is one of the top recipes on our site and one of my favorite canning recipes of all time! Click HERE for our Canned Spaghetti Sauce recipe. Use it in everything from our delicious Spaghetti Squash Lasagna to our Quick and Easy Calzones.
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Reheating And Storage Tips
Leftover spaghetti sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store in a resealable container. Reheat gently in a saucepan on the stove when ready to serve.
Homemade spaghetti sauce is a meal preppers dream. You can make a big batch of this sauce when you have extra time and freeze it in freezer containers indefinitely. Preferably, you should allow time for it to thaw overnight in the fridge before using.
Or, make a big batch of sauce on Saturday or Sunday, and plan meals around it for the rest of the week. Its perfect for more than spaghetti and meatballs. Use it for this easy skillet lasagna, pizza stuffed spaghetti squash, rustic polenta stack, or pizza quesadillas, or as a dipping sauce for air fryer mozzarella sticks or chicken strips.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: You can prepare million dollar spaghetti 1 day ahead of time. Follow recipe instructions up to step 8 . allow it to cool, cover it well with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
To freeze: Prepare recipe right up until the baking step. Cover well with greased aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days, then bake for about 20 minutes covered and then 15-20 minutes uncovered. If baking from frozen, bake covered for about 40 minutes, then uncover and bake 20-30 minutes longer, or until bubbly and warm.
Also Check: Pete Sauce
Ingredients You Will Need
- Spaghetti. Any pasta will work. I prefer to use whole wheat or whole grain because it contains fiber and nutrients. If you use regular white pasta, please note nutritional information of this delicious spaghetti recipe will change. Gluten free spaghetti like brown rice, quinoa etc. will work. Please note it cooks much faster than wheat. So watch to avoid a mushy mess.
- Tomato sauce. There are so many tomato products on supermarket shelves these days. In cans and jars. I get lost myself. That is why partially I just buy a 12 case of organic low sodium canned tomato sauce at Costco and use in all my recipes. Another reason is that other tomato products are expensive. Often for no reason. To make good spaghetti, you need a can of cheap tomato sauce that reads tomato sauce. Preferably low sodium. Not spaghetti sauce, not pizza sauce, not pasta sauce, not marinara sauce. Just tomato sauce.
- Parmesan cheese. Pre-grated Parmesan cheese in a shaker contains cellulose as a filler. It is ground up wood chips. It is not pure Parmesan cheese. Plus it doesnt taste nearly as fresh. I highly recommend to use fresh and real Parmesan. I usually buy a hunk, grate as much as I need and refrigerate in a container for up to 2-3 months. Then freeze remainder in a Ziploc bag. When needed, thaw, grate and use for pasta salad, lentil soup and baked cauliflower. And place remainder of the hunk back in the freezer.
- Extra virgin olive oil and fresh garlic.
- Dried oregano, salt and pepper.
Watch The Video For How To Make This Spaghetti Sauce Recipe:
Check out our collection of& nbsp & lt STRONG& gt & lt A href=”https://www.themediterraneandish.com/category/mediterranean-diet-recipes/”& gt Mediterranean diet recipes.& lt /A& gt & nbsp & lt /STRONG& gt For all recipes, visit us& nbsp & lt STRONG& gt & lt A href=”https://www.themediterraneandish.com/recipes/”& gt here& lt /A& gt .& nbsp & lt /STRONG& gt
JOIN MY FREE E-MAIL LIST HERE.
SHOP OUR ONLINE STORE FOR QUALITY OLIVE OILS, ALL-NATURAL SPICES AND MORE
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Wing Sauce Recipes
Easy Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
My husband Alex called me talented last Friday. I created this amazing spaghetti recipe with nothing in 10 minutes for a quick dinner. We all couldnt stop eating it.
If you think of going to an Italian restaurant to pay $20 for spaghetti with tomato sauce please stop immediately. Take off your shoes and make this yummy spaghetti with tomato sauce and serve with salad. You can do it! At home with canned sauce. Because there is no such thing as fresh tomatoes for tomato sauce October July anywhere.
Or because there is a place for canned tomato sauce on a Friday night after you have been working your butt off all week. It still can be amazing, fresh and delicious! For like $5 instead of 4 x $20 plus tax and tips at a nearby Italian restaurant. With like a $10 glass of wine and turkey meatballs from the freezer or turkey breast roast on Sunday. And by the way, who stops at one glass?!
Yes! It is the best spaghetti ever! The ingredients are equivalent easy to mac and cheese. You will be blown away!
Using Fresh Or Dried Herbs In Pasta Sauce
If you have fresh basil and oregano youll be able to make a lovely fresher tasting sauce. Skip the dried herbs at the beginning, and finely chop about 1 tablespoon of each of the herbs .
Instead of adding them at the beginning of the long simmer, add them for the last 5 or so minutes of simmering. And, as noted, you can also sliver up some extra fresh basil and sprinkle it on top of the plates of whoever wants, along with or instead of the optional Parmesan.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Cook Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
Easy tomato sauce recipe to cook Italian pasta with simple and tasty ingredients like homemade pasta sauce and spaghetti.
Learn in this video how to make spaghetti with tomato sauce from scratch by using a tasty and easy homemade pasta sauce recipe from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade pasta recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY cooking spaghetti at home!
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce From Fresh Tomatoes
This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Amber Crain. Amber Crain has been a member of wikiHows writing staff for the last six years. She graduated from the University of Houston where she majored in Classical Studies and minored in Painting. Before coming to wikiHow, she worked in a variety of industries including marketing, education, and music journalism. She’s been a radio DJ for 10+ years and currently DJs a biweekly music program on the award-winning internet radio station DKFM. Her work at wikiHow supports her lifelong passion for learning and her belief that knowledge belongs to anyone who desires to seek it. This article has been viewed 62,524 times.Learn more…
Many people feel intimidated by the thought of making a fresh tomato sauce from scratch, but its actually quite easy to do. When making a sauce from scratch, the key is to use the freshest, ripest ingredients available. Consider investing in a high quality extra virgin olive oil, since this can also make a big difference in the results. As long as you follow the process as closely as possible, your tomato sauce will have the vibrant, garden-fresh flavor you want.
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
The Difference Between Spaghetti Meat Sauce And Bolognese
Bolognese is a mixture of ground beef and/or pork, tenderized with milk and sautéed with soffrito . While it does have tomatoes, its not as saucy or tomato-forward as spaghetti and meat sauce. A traditional bolognese is more meat-forward, less tomato-heavy, richer and more delicate in flavor than most spaghetti and meat sauce recipes. And in case youre wondering, I love them both equally, dont make me choose!
Why This Recipe Works
One of the easiest meals on the planet to make is a comforting batch of spaghetti. It is super easy to make, it is affordable and its off-the-charts comforting and delicious!
If you ever find yourself in a situation where you either dont have the energy to make a batch of homemade pasta sauce or you do not want to take a trip to the grocery store to grab a jar of sauce, Ive got your back!
All you need is a can of tomato paste and a few other ingredients that are already likely sitting in your kitchen. Dinner has never been easier!
Also Check: Rao’s Marinara Costco
Pasta With Tomato Sauce
This delicious Pasta with Tomato Sauce is so simple and tastes amazing. With flavorful ingredients, you’ll love how this scrumptious dish comes together.
Pasta with Tomato Sauce is a simple dish that’s made delicious by the complex mixing of flavors. To make a really mouthwatering sauce, you need to let the ingredients come together as they cook and release their aromatic properties. Garlicky, salty, and sweet, this pasta sauce has it all.
This recipe for Pasta with Tomato Sauce is an easy, quick meal that can be made any night of the week. And it’s a convenient option because most of the ingredients can be found in your fridge or on your pantry shelves. It’s also very versatile. You can add and subtract ingredients to fit your preferences, so everyone in the family will love it. Let’s see what deliciousness goes into it.
Favourite And Simple Spring Pasta Dish
You May Like: What Alfredo Sauce Is Keto Friendly
What Kind Of Canned Tomatoes To Use In Pasta Sauce
Crushed tomatoes in puree are thicker in consistency than crushed tomatoes in juice, and will simply yield a thicker sauce. If you cant find them, you can certainly use crushed tomatoes in juice if you cook the sauce longer it will reduce and thicken up a bit more. You can also use canned whole tomatoes, and just smush them up with a spoon against the side of the pan as you cook, or pulse them until they are the desired consistency in a food processor before adding them to the pot.
How To Make Pasta With Tomato Sauce
1. Fill a large pot with water and place it on the stove over medium heat .
2. Add the olive oil to a large skillet and drain the oil from the anchovies into it as well. Then add the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and cook until the onions are nicely browned and very soft, about 10-12 minutes.
3. At this point, add the pasta to the boiling water in the pot, season it generously with salt, and cook until al dente.
4. To the skillet with the fried onions, add the anchovies and tomato paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower the heat to low, and add about two ladles of hot water from the pasta to bring the sauce to a creamy consistency.
5. Drain the pasta, but reserve some more of the cooking water for the sauce. Add the cooked pasta and parsley to the sauce, and about 1 cup of cooking liquid. Stir everything well and add more water, if needed. The goal is to have a creamy sauce that is not too thick, and covers the pasta nicely.
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Wings Recipe