How To Make This Easy Alfredo Sauce:
- Make roux: Melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add flour, cook 30 seconds stirring constantly, then add garlic and saute until flour and garlic are golden, about 30 seconds longer.
- Add dairy liquids: While whisking slowly pour in heavy cream and milk. Cook stirring constantly until mixture simmers and thickens slightly.
- Stir in cheese: Remove from heat, stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano. Return to low heat, stir until cheese has melted through.
- Keep warm: Cover and keep warm over warm heat, stirring occasionally, until pasta is finished.
- Toss with pasta: toss sauce with fettuccine or other pasta of choice. As it rests sauce will thicken upon standing, it can be thinned with warm pasta water.
This Is The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce And Budget Friendly
Your family can enjoy a really great meal for very little money. I just know it will be a hit and something tasty to add to your normal menu plan rotation.
We save so much money by meal prepping and making sure we have a plan in place. I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning!
Save that money for a family vacation or maybe just some wiggle room in the budget. It is so nice to eat out when you want to and not when you forgot to take something out of the freezer.
Simple dinners like this are always a hit and it is a great way to get everyone gathered around the dinner table. We make the best memories when we share about our day.
The flavor is wonderful and the Alfredo sauce is better than anything you could buy. I love that you can use any kind of pasta making this even easier to use what is in the pantry!
We have used linguine, spaghetti, penne and even bow tie pasta. It is seriously amazing with anything and makes a great budget friendly meal any day of the week.
Give this a try and let us know how it turns out for you. I think your family will love it!
If You Want To Add Some Variation:
Change up the cheese Asiago is also a great change up because its so flavorful and strong like a Parmesan. Grab a four cheese blend instead of Parmesan to sub it in for a different kind of flavor.
Add additional herbs Here we are using parsley. Its best to use fresh but dry will work too. A few other great add-ins are basil and dill. They are softer herbs and will wilt right into the sauce just like parsley.
Add some spice a pinch or two of cayenne pepper is a great way to add heat without going overboard. A spoonful of cajun seasoning will add some zesty and savory flavors.
Don’t Miss: Mad Dog 357 Plutonium No 9 Hospital
The Best Way To Use Alfredo Sauce
American-style Alfredo can be served with various delicious pasta shapes and recipes, unlike the Italian Alfredo sauce served with fettuccine. In fettuccine Alfredo, substitute spaghetti or bucatini for the fettuccine, or use Alfredo sauce to coat any twisty or hollow pasta shape, such as penne or Gemelli.
Although Alfredo sauce, typically paired with mild proteins , it is delightful with dark green vegetables such as kale and broccoli, whose bitterness balances the richness of the cream sauce. Sauté chopped vegetables separately in olive oil, then combine with pasta and sauce.
How To Make It
This sauce is a very easy sauce to make and will only take about 15 minutes and you can make it while pasta and meats are cooking. Its always best to prepare and measure your ingredients ahead of time, especially in a fast recipe like this one.
Use a medium sauce pot to prepare the Alfredo Sauce. Melt butter over medium heat and once butter is melted, add pressed garlic. Cook garlic until its fragrant and sprinkle flour over it. Stir and then slowly pour in heavy whipping cream.
Gently stir the mixture together and let it heat through. Once heavy cream is hot, whisk in sour cream, Parmesan cheeses, salt, and pepper. Lower heat to medium-low and gently stir until grated cheese starts to melt.
Keep cooking over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Once sauce is ready mix it with cooked pasta.
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Recipes
How To Make Fettuccini Sauce:
Creating this master piece does take a little bit of time. We all know that it is worth it! We love making this sauce and it is a quick and easy. It can be made in minutes with these simple ingredients. Enjoy alfredo sauce right when you need it!
- Whisk dairy ingredients together: In a medium saucepan add butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat and whisk until melted.
- Add and whisk seasonings: Add the minced garlic, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Continue to whisk until smooth.
- Stir in cheese: Add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Thicken your sauce: Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Toss with pasta: Toss it with your favorite pasta!
Tips For The Best Alfredo Sauce
If youre having a bad day, this elegant sauce will definitely make it better. Its totally comfort food! Here are some tips on how to get the best results with your Alfredo sauce so you dont stress while making this easy sauce:
- To Double the Recipe: This sauce will make enough to throughly coat 8 oz of fettuccine. Double recipe if you are making 16 oz of pasta!
- Dont Overheat the Saucepan: Too much heat can burn the butter/garlic and make the cheese clump, so try to keep your heat low and steady as you make this sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese: You want to use freshly grated or fresh parmesan cheese, not the kind in the shaker can.
- Let the Cheese Come to Room Temp: It will melt faster if it comes to room temperature first, which will ensure that your sauce is relatively smooth.
- Use a Whisk: You dont want your sauce to separate, so use a whisk and stir often. This will keep your Alfredo Sauce from separating and stirring it often will keep it from burning.
- Taste It! Make sure you taste it before coating your pasta with the sauce. Make sure it has enough salt and pepper for your liking.
You May Like: Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
How To Make Alfredo Sauce From Scratch
I made this sauce and it was DELICIOUS!!!
How Do You Thicken Alfredo Sauce
The answer is cream. If you are using real, thick cream, thats all you need to get the perfect texture for your sauce. We are using 2 cups of cream. Yes, 2 cups. Dont offend me by trying to make this healthy. Eat chicken Alfredo and skip dessert.
The other thickener is parmesan. Shred your own parmesan cheese. Dont buy pre-shredded cheese, and for heavens sake dont use the powdered stuff. They add anti-caking ingredients to the pre-shredded parmesan that makes it not clump up for packaging and shipping, but if you add it to your alfredo, it inhibits melting and your sauce wont be quite as smooth.
Slowly stir in the parmesan cheese. Dont add it all at once. This will help it melt. In the photo above you can see how much I sprinkle in at a time.
You May Like: Best Rao’s Sauce
How To Make Alfredo Sauce: The Vegan Way
This recipe can teach you how to make alfredo sauce without dairy products. A deliciously rich and creamy sauce for a vegan choice.
Its simple, dairy-free, oil-free, just a few ingredients, and amazingly delicious and savoury sauce for that favourite pasta recipe.
How To Make Alfredo Sauce Without Dairy Products
A notable point here is no use of vegan butter or oil, which are undoubtedly unhealthy. Instead, olive oil along with raw cashews was used which provided the sauce with a perfect creamy flavour and thickness.
Nutritional yeast is used to avoid Parmesan cheese which is the main ingredient of regular alfredo sauce. It provides a cheesy flavour with the sauce. Garlic enhances the taste and aroma. Lemon juice adds a tangy flavour
Thus, vegan alfredo sauce is a delicious dairy-free meal helper which is oil-free too.
Does It Taste Like Alfredo Sauce?
This vegan Alfredo sauce tastes almost like the one made with heavy cream.
How Can I Thicken My Alfredo Sauce
This recipe should turn out plenty thick, but you can take it to the next level. Add a tablespoon of flour to the butter and garlic in the beginning and cook it for one minute, making a roux before following the recipe.
If you decide while its cooking that youd like it a bit thicker, create a slurry by mixing a tablespoon of flour and a couple of tablespoons of water until smooth. Gradually add this to your such until you reach the desired thickness.
Donât Miss: Alabama White Bbq Sauce Recipe
Read Also: Where To Buy Rao Sauce
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
To make this American-style Alfredo sauce recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter: Or you could also substitute olive oil, if you prefer.
- Garlic: Finely-minced or pressed.
- All-purpose flour: To help form a roux and thicken the sauce. If you are making gluten-free Alfredo sauce, however, you are welcome to omit the flour and have a slightly thinner sauce. Or you can use a cornstarch slurry to thicken it .
- Heavy cream and milk: We will use this blend as the base for our sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend freshly-grating your Parmesan cheese so that it will melt more smoothly into the sauce. Also, grated Parmesan cheese can be tricky to measure correctly simply with a measuring cup, so I recommend using a kitchen scale if you own one.
- Sea salt and white pepper: I like to use fine sea salt and white pepper to season this sauce. If you are new to cooking with white pepper, please note that it has a slightly different flavor and is significantly more potent than black pepper, so you do not need to use as much. That said, if you only have black pepper in the house, that will work too.
- Ground nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg is typically used in American-style Alfredo, but you can omit this if you prefer.
Creamy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Go-to comfort food dishes, anyone? Ive got a number of them to choose from on any given night, but Homemade Alfredo Sauce served over a bowl of pasta is always a front-runner in this family!
This creamy sauce may sound like quite a bit of work, but it actually only takes about 15 minutes to make, tops. After that, all you have to do is toss it with some pasta, and dinner is served!
To say this easy pasta dish is a crowd-pleaser would be a massive understatement just in case you were mulling over what to make for dinner tonight.
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Hot Wings Recipe
Faqs About Scratch Alfredo Sauce
Q: What is Alfredo Sauce made of?
A: To make a basic Alfredo sauce from scratch, you just need heavy cream, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Then, season with garlic and salt and pepper.
Q: Does Alfredo sauce contain gluten? What about dairy?
A: None of the ingredients in this scratch Alfredo sauce contain gluten, so its a gluten-free recipe! Some homemade Alfredo sauce recipes made be made using flour to form a roux. In that case, any recipes using flower would not be a gluten-free Alfredo sauce.
Alfredo sauce is nearly entirely dairy ingredients. Anyone with a dairy allergy should not have Alfredo sauce.
Q: How do I store Homemade Alfredo Sauce?
A: Keep your homemade Alfredo sauce stored in an air-tight container in the fridge. It should be used up with 4-5 days from when you make a fresh batch of Alfredo sauce from scratch.
Want another amazing from-scratch recipe? Hop on over to see our Easy Pizza Sauce recipe next!
HEAD OVER TO SEE EVEN MORE FAST AND EASY Breakfast RECIPES THAT WILL BE AN AMAZING PART OF YOUR RECIPE COLLECTION!
- Try this flavorful Potato Kielbasa Skillet thats certain to wow your taste buds.
- Dont forget to give this simple Crockpot Swedish Meatballs recipe a try!
- If you love this fun recipe, youll love Pizza Pasta Bake as a go-to dinner recipe.
CONNECT WITH A MOMS TAKE ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL CHANNEL FOR MORE RECIPES!
You can find us on:
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Vs Store
Sure, you can buy jars or refrigerated containers of Alfredo sauce, and they absolutely get the job done when you’re pressed for time. However, some commercial products use cream cheese or food starches as thickeners, which can mute the sauce’s hallmark butter, cream, and Parmesan flavors. When you make Alfredo sauce from scratch, it will taste fresherand the flavors of those three ingredients will be more vivid. Fortunately, homemade Alfredo sauce recipes take just minutes to prepare.
When you’re in a pinch, try using purchased Alfredo sauce in these recipes for Lemon-Caper Tuna and Noodles, Chicken Alfredo Pot Pies, and Tortellini Alfredo with Roasted Peppers. And, of course, you can always swap in your homemade Alfredo sauce recipe for the purchased sauced called for in each of these recipes.
Now that youre an ace at making Alfredo sauce from scratch, stock up on garlic, butter, cream, and Parm. That way, youll never be more than half an hour away from a cozy, delicious Italian-inspired meal.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Other Uses For Alfredo Sauce
Homemade Alfredo sauce works well wherever a rich, creamy sauce is called for. Here are a few ideas. You can also use Alfredo sauce in recipes :
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Tomatoes: After Step 2 above, stir 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken and 1/4 cup drained oil-packed snipped dried tomatoes into the thickened sauce. Heat through before adding the Parmesan cheese.
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo: After Step 2 above, stir 12 ounces cooked medium shrimp and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil into the thickened sauce. Heat through before adding the Parmesan cheese. A fettuccine Alfredo sauce recipe is not limited to the classic dish shrimp add-ins are a delicious twist.
- Alfredo-Sauced Pizza: Use Alfredo sauce as a pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce, and top with your favourite ingredients.
- Alfredo-Topped Baked Potatoes: Combine Alfredo sauce with cooked vegetables, such as peas, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, and red peppers. Heat through and spoon the sauce over hot baked potatoes.
- Alfredo-Sauced Vegetables: Use as a sauce for cooked broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, or a combination of vegetables.
- Alfredo Meatballs: Combine with cooked meatballs for a luscious appetizer.
This article originally appeared on www.bhg.com
Ways To Use This Easy Alfredo Sauce
What to do with your cheesy Alfredo sauce? Oh, let me count the ways. You can toss it with pasta, bien sur. Use fettuccine if you’re craving fettuccine alfredo, or elbows if you want mac and cheese. The sauce is also great spooned over steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, fish and other seafood, or chicken.
I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. Good thing I still have a few jars stashed away in my fridge. Happy cooking, everyone!
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Walmart
How To Store And Reheat Alfredo Sauce
If you happen to have some leftovers, I recommend storing the sauce in its own airtight container. Do not combine the pasta and the sauce in the same container. I recommend reheating the sauce in a small saucepan over low temperature, when the sauce melts due to the heat, you may need to add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream to thin out the sauce. I typically make fresh pasta the second time I serve the sauce.
How To Make Italian Sausage Pasta:
- For this Italian Sausage Pasta, you will start by cooking your penne pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water according to package directions.
- As soon as you add your pasta to the boiling water, you will heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Then, add in your Italian sausage, minced onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Once your sausage is cooked through, you can drain any excess grease from the pan if necessary. Then, return the meat mixture to the skillet.
- Then, you will turn your heat down to low. Add the cream to the pan and bring to a simmer, and put all of the spinach in the pan. It will take about 3-5 minutes for the spinach to wilt.
- Next, drain your pasta. Add your shredded parmesan and pasta and give everything a good stir to coat.
You guys have spoken and seem to be loving these easy 20-30 minute weeknight meals as much as we do! Iâm happy to say this Italian sausage pasta is one of my personal faves! If youâre looking for more simple dinners, donât miss my Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Riceor my One Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper!
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce