What Are The Best Tomatoes For Tomato Sauce
The best tomatoes to make tomato sauce are paste tomatoes. Paste tomatoes are varieties that are meatier and less juicy than other classes of tomatoes, making them perfect for sauces, salsa, canning and dehydrating.
Because they are less juicy, their flavor is more intense as it is not diluted in a lot of water!
Heres some popular varieties:
- San Marzano My absolute favorite! Theres nothing like the flavor of a San Marzano. Its flavor is dense and sweet, making it perfect for sauces! Technically, to be called a San Marzano, this type of tomato has to be grown in Valle del Sarno, in Italy, but Ive seen seeds to sell here in the United States.
- Roma Way easier to find in the U.S., they are not as sweet as San Marzanos or similar heirloom tomatoes, like Amish Paste. It is the variety I use the most though, as they are widely available near me!
- Amish Paste Oval shaped, they are similar to Roma tomatoes but sweeter with a fresher flavor.
- Opalka and Polish Linguisa These Polish heirlooms are meaty and rich.
- Big Mama, Jersey Devil and Jersey Giant These are larger varieties, meaning you will have to peel and chop fewer tomatoes to get the same amount of sauce.
Fresh Tomato Sauce From Scratch
Making tomato sauce isnt hard, but its definitely labor-intensive. Even the relatively small amount that were making here just enough for a few special mid-winter meals will take you a solid afternoon of work from start to finish. If you want to make a larger batch, give yourself more time for the project and think about recruiting some extra hands to help.
If youve never made tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes before, this is a good place to start. The amount isnt overwhelming, but youll make enough to justify the afternoon. Its also a small enough amount that you can freeze the whole batch if you dont feel like canning it.
Bottom line: Grab yourself some tomatoes and make yourself some tomato sauce this weekend. You wont regret it.
What Are The Best Tomatoes To Use
The best spaghetti sauce is made using San Marzano tomatoes. San Marzano is a variety of plum tomatoes. These tomatoes have a stronger flavor and are sweeter and less acidic. You can find canned San Marzano tomatoes at your grocery store. The label should make it very obvious that the tomatoes are this variety.
Don’t Miss: Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
Why Is This The Best Marinara Sauce
Six reasons to love this recipe:
- This marinara sauce recipe requires 5 basic ingredients and yields rich, authentic marinara flavor.
- Its super easy to makeno chopping required.
- Unlike most store-bought sauces, this marinara is free of added sugar.
- You can load up your pasta with as much of this wholesome sauce as youd like. Tomatoes are good for you!
- The recipe yields two cups of sauce and freezes well, so you might as well double the recipe. Just cook it in a bigger pot.
- This marinara also makes an incredible pizza sauce. I made pizza with it and my friend remarked that it tastes like real-deal Italian pizza.
Please let me know in the comments how you like this sauce! Its a new staple in my kitchen, and I hope it becomes a go-to recipe for you as well.
Craving more classic Italian recipes? Dont miss these:
The Tomato Sauce Time Machine
I hadnt realised how much tomato sauce had changed over the years until I sampled Nana Lings tomato sauce recipe. A recipe shed jotted down in her beautiful handwriting back in 1941.
One tiny taste and I was immediately transported back to my familys dinner table in the 1980s.
I could see our old dinner table covered with a seersucker tablecloth. I could also see Mums hanging pot plant stand in the corner of the dining room . And on the table was a glass bottle filled with deep red tomato sauce.
These days, tomato sauce seems brighter and thinner.
And it may be in a super convenient squeeze pack now, but the taste just isnt quite the same. It doesnt pack a tomato punch the way the good old-fashioned tomato sauce did.
If you want tomato sauce thats thick, full of tomato flavour and can even take you back in time, keep scrolling for Nana Lings Tomato Sauce Recipe.
Recommended Reading: Rao’s Marinara Keto
Buying Tomatoes For Sauce
If you have the space and the time to care for plants, I highly recommend planting your own tomatoes! Its really rewarding to eat tomatoes that you planted and harvested yourself.
There are lots of seeds to choose from and you can plant even the rarest varieties!
However, if you dont have that opportunity , buying at the supermarket is okay too, but your options will be limited.
Try to buy local, if you can, as they are more likely ripened on the vine, which means theyll taste much better. Florida and Mexico are the major tomato growers and shipper, but if you dont live in these areas, that means the tomatoes were picked green and shipped in their un-ripened form.
If you can buy directly from a farmer or shop at a farmers market, even better! That way you know you are getting local grown tomatoes that are riper than any tomato you can get at the supermarket.
The Way To Make The Right Flavor From Tomato Paste
You may make the proper tomato sauce with different flavors from tomato paste by following these steps:
Fry the onion and garlic in a medium saucepan. Fry the onion and garlic in medium heat until the onion turns translucent. Take care not to brown too much, as browning will interfere with the sauces flavor.
Add the right proportion of tomato paste and water blend correctly till well incorporated.
Bring all ingredients together to a mild simmer, adding some salt and a little sugar as you continue to stir constantly. A nicely combined tomato sauce should complement each taste, not too much sugar and not excessive salt.
Keep simmering lightly for approximately 15 minutes. For the flavor to mature, take time to simmer on low heat. As you stir, you may notice the sauce thickening, and it starts to coat the wooden spoon and blobs. You may add some water or vinegar if it becomes too thick.
You may modify your seasonings earlier before turning off the heat.
To enhance the finished sauces flavor and texture, you could add in a few more substances. Tomato sauce crafted from tomato paste makes a superb pizza sauce. All you want to do is simmer a bit longer this makes it have a thicker sauce.
You May Like: Rao Sauce Where To Buy
Sign Up For The Ak Back To Basics Series
In this FREE series, well be walking you through a new kitchen tutorial or cooking hack to help you gain confidence in the kitchen. Well release a brand new Back to Basics post every Sunday morning to kick off your week. Check out all of our latest ones here!
Be sure to join the AK VIP list so that you get each new post as soon as it goes out. Follow Ambitious Kitchen on , too, for more fun videos and tutorials to go with each weeks theme.
Have a cooking issue youve always wanted help with? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post and well add it to our list!
How To Make Roasted Tomato Sauce
Read Also: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Store This Homemade Tomato Sauce
I like to make as much homemade tomato sauce as I can at once. This is especially true when using garden tomatoes. This process takes some time so it is always nice to have the hard part done. Now, the next time you are craving a homemade tomato sauce, the time-consuming part will be done.
If you are canning your homemade tomato sauce you can add in lemon juice to help preserve it. If you want to store the sauce and use it throughout the week be sure to use airtight containers. Also, be sure to refrigerate the tomato sauce until ready to use unless you are canning.
You can also store the sauce in freezer bags which will keep for about 6 months. Whenever I make homemade tomato sauce, I always make more than I need. This is a great way to save time in the future when you want a quick meal but still want to enjoy the delicious flavors of fresh Roma tomatoes.
More About This Recipe
- Using Tomato PasteGrowing up, I could always find petite cans of tomato paste in my grandmother’s cupboard. She would use it in sauces and stews. These days, you can always find a couple cans of paste in my cupboard as well. This versatile ingredient is a great go-to for fast meals.What is Tomato Paste?Tomato paste is a highly concentrated puree of tomatoes. It’s made by cooking peeled, seeded tomatoes for several hours, thereby cooking out much of the liquid. It offers a high concentrate of tomato flavor in a thick, compact form.It can be purchased premade in cans or tubes, or made at home and frozen for future use. A good recipe can be found in Preserving Summer’s Bounty.What Can Tomato Paste Be Used For?Tomato paste is a great ingredient for adding tomato flavor to a variety of dishes, from sauces to soups. It’s a very thick and thus should be combined with water to cook with. This loosens it into a sauce.One fabulous use for tomato paste is to use it to make a fast marinara sauce, such as my Easy, Fast Tomato Marinara. This sauce is perfect with pasta, ravioli and more. Use it on chicken parmigiana or for dipping mozzarella sticks, as well. It makes a smooth sauce, which is perferrable for some people. You can also add some chunkiness to it by combining a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste in a pan with seasonings. Bring to a boil, simmer and serve.More Tomato Paste RecipesLooking for more great ideas for tomato paste? Try these:Fresh Tomato Soup
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Ways Of Preserving Tomatoes
There are various ways of tomato preservation:
Applied in salads
Tomatoes paste is very targeted to make tomato sauce. Its a good choice if you had numerous tomatoes. That is one way to lessen the quantity and to hold the tomatoes. Tomatoes may be frozen or made into tomato ketchup. The making of tomato paste is likewise a manner of preserving tomatoes.
How To Make Sauce From Fresh Roma Tomatoes
This post sharing how to make sauce from Roma tomatoes contains affiliate links which means that if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will receive a small portion of the sale at no additional cost to you.
Whether you are growing fresh tomatoes in your garden or have picked up a good supply of Roma tomatoes from your local farmers market, you will love making your own homemade tomato sauce This easy recipe will have you well on your way to making your own spaghetti sauce as well as a pizza sauce or pasta sauce that you can use in many recipes.
There is nothing quite as delicious as a homemade sauce in my opinion and I think you will agree after trying this easy homemade tomato sauce.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Thicken Spaghetti Sauce
Why is this homemade spaghetti sauce rich and just the right thickness even though it is meatless? Here are a few things that make a difference:
- Add finely chopped or grated vegetables. This is another great reason why I love adding finely grated carrots. Not only do they add natural sweetness to the tomato sauce, but they also thicken the sauce and give it a nice body.
- Use the right kind of canned tomatoes. Many recipes will use tomato sauce. That’s fine, but if you’re after thicker consistency, canned crushed tomatoes will give you a better result. And like I said earlier, something I don’t always add is a couple tablespoons of tomato paste which could also help.
- Do not add too much liquid. In this recipe, I use about ½ cup water earlier on to get things going. Later, I watch the sauce as it simmers and I add a little bit more if needed .
- Simmer the sauce. You’ll notice that once the sauce boils briefly, I turn the heat down and let it simmer a good 20 minutes. If I’m not in a hurry, I leave it a few extra minutes, watching the consistency and adding liquid if it turns too thick.
- Other ways to thicken the sauce. Not used in this recipe, but you can also use a little bit of corn starch or even add an egg to thicken the sauce . I don’t use either of these methods in my recipe because it is just the right thickness for me.
How To Make The Perfect Tomato Sauce
A good tomato sauce is one of the first things that any cook should learn to make it is almost infinitely useful, keeps pretty well, and the ready-made version is outrageously overpriced. Indeed, Marcella Hazan writes in The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking: “No other preparation is more successful in delivering the prodigious satisfactions of Italian cooking than a competently executed sauce with tomatoes.”
I have made any number over the years to toss with meatballs and spaghetti, to coat cannelloni and to top pizzas, and they have rarely disappointed but not one has knocked my socks off. You might fairly observe that knocking one’s socks off isn’t the point of a simple tomato sauce, but it ought to be good enough to need no further adornment. No parmesan, or minced beef, or spinach and ricotta a simple pasta al pomodoro, well made, is a beautiful thing.
Recommended Reading: Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
Follow These Steps To Make This Sauce With Meat:
Simple Steps To Avoid An Acidic Sauce
Use quality tomatoes: as stated above, this is the first step to ensure your sauce is less acidic. Use quality San Marzano Italian tomatoes for your sauce to be rich and sweet in flavor!
Add a carrot to simmer in the sauce: this is something my mother always did and is very traditional in Italian sauces. The sweetness of the carrot releases its flavor and naturally absorbs any acidic flavors from the tomatoes. How to: remove the stem, peel the carrot skin off, and place the whole carrot into the sauce to simmer. Remove carrot once the sauce is finished.
Use stainless steel: whenever making tomato sauce, its important to choose the right pot. My top recommendations for sauce are stainless steel. Any other pot like non-stick or cast iron can cause the acid in the tomatoes to mix with the metal and results in an unpleasant metallic taste.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
My family’s secret homemade spaghetti sauce is easy to make using a few staple ingredients you may already have on hand! Perfectly thick and packed with flavor, you’ll be ditching that store bought pasta sauce!
You can make this quick vegetarian pasta sauce ahead and freeze it for later use! And I’ve included a spaghetti meat sauce option for meat-lovers. Be sure to watch the video and grab all my tips below.
I call this my any-time spaghetti sauce. It’s easy. Unfussy. You can make it any night of the week.
And it takes just a few staple ingredients most of us have on hand: canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots, plus a couple spices and fresh herbs for flavor.
Savvy Italian nonnas don’t necessarily wait for tomato season to conjure up the perfect homemade spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce, and neither should we. Quality canned tomatoes from the pantry will do the trick just fine.
While many pasta sauce recipes call for 3 to 4 different kinds of canned tomatoes, I found that crushed canned tomatoes provide the perfect consistency for this tomato sauce. Simpler the better!
You’ll love this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe. Just the right thickness and so much flavor. So let’s get to it!