Tips For The Best Cocktail
Here are a few tips for making the best Bloody Mary Cocktail, as well as a few ways to customize the drink.
- Customize the spice level and flavor. The great thing about Bloody Marys is that they are 100% customizable. If theres an ingredient you dont like, you can easily leave it out.
- Make it spicy. For a spicy version, use spicy horseradish and add some extra hot sauce. You can even add some seasonings like chili flakes if desired.
- Tomato juice alternatives. While a classic Bloody Mary is made with tomato juice, you can also use V-8 or clamato juice for an extra kick.
- Add the garnishes on skewers. Bloody Mary garnishes, especially when youre adding a lot of them, are typically served on skewers across the top of the drink or in the drink. It makes them easier to snack on than adding them directly to the glass.
- Serve cold. Bloody Marys are one cocktail you want to serve ice cold, so be sure to add a generous amount of ice to the glass.
Instructions For Making Bloody Marys
Once the mix is made the rest is easy!
How To Make Bloody Mary Vodka Sauce
Heat up some oil and saute a bit of garlic and red pepper flakes. Add the good stuff the Vodka . Then stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, season it up with salt and pepper, celery salt, Tabasco, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce . A squeeze of lime and a garnish of green olives, and there you have it Bloody Mary Vodka Sauce. Pour over penne and youve got a complete meal. Nice.
Recommended Reading: Rao Pasta Sauce Costco
Let’s Talk Tips For The Best Bloody Mary Bar
Is it just me or is brunch the best meal of the day?? Hosting friends or family for brunch is seriously the best, and everyone needs to do more of it. Not only is brunch food amazing, but everyone gets a free pass to day drink! That’s a win in my book! ð What also makes brunch great: BLOODY MARY BARS!
You can not have a bloody without garnishes, even if it’s a few olives or a pickle. There is nothing better than getting a little tipsy and snacking at the same time, and a Bloody Mary gives you all that!
To setup a Bloody Mary bar, I recommend mixing together a large pitcher of Bloody Mary mix, including everything except the horseradish to accommodate for those who don’t like it. I think it adds just the right touch of heat, without an overpowering horseradish taste, but I know some people strongly dislike it. Instead, set out a small dish with horseradish and a spoon for scooping and your guests can add their own. I also recommend setting out a bottle of hot sauce for those who like a spicy bloody!
Set out a bottle of vodka and shot glass so everyone can pour their own without going overboard!
As for the garnishes, I think adding each garnish to it’s own short mason jar is cute way to display the garnishes. But, you can also just leave them in the jars they came in for easier cleanup. Don’t forget the toothpicks!
Here are some of my favorite garnishes:
Are You Loving The Weck Glass Jar In The Pic Click Here
Really? Sugar in spaghetti sauce huh yuppers.
Its hidden in freaking everything. Start looking and youll see.
It may take some time in the aisle to scan through one brand by brand, sauce by sauce. Its worth it when you find one that you love to have in your arsenal for those night I dont want to futz with something from scratch.
If your not feeling the homemade vibe right now one of my favorites on the fly is RAOS, the roasted garlic style, AND its Whole30 complaint. Options, its all about options.
Im working on an awesome appetizer to go with this party pleasing dipping sauce stay tuned for Baked Spicy Olive Stuffed Keto Meatballs with Bloody Mary Marinara Sauce!! Heres a preview of whats next.
Did you make the sauce? and lets see what you can do in your kitchen you just might see a shout out or two come your way. I love to see you get creative
If you have any Garlic Confit with Olive Oil in your pantry use it instead of the fresh garlic and butter to change things up in the recipe.
Read Also: Hot Ones Sample Box
How Do You Make Bloody Mary Mix From Scratch
- Tomato Paste:
I use tomato paste instead of tomato juice as the base because it gives the mix a richer flavor. I like the ability to add water to the paste and make it as thick or loose as I want. For every 6-ounce can of tomato paste, add about 3.5 cups of water to create the base for the mix. I whirl mine in a blender but you can easily whisk it or shake everything in a container.
- The Spices:
This is where the fun really begins because you can tailor to your own taste. My recipe is pretty classic so use these must-have ingredients as your guide and finesse it from there.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Minced fresh garlic or garlic powder
- Hot sauce: I like Tabasco or Cholula Hot Sauce
- Celery Salt
Bloody Mary Vodka Sauce The Ultimate Pasta Sauce
Yall like your Bloody Marys! And Im with you on that! Theres not much more satisfying than a rich, flavorful, tomato-y, spicy Bloody Mary, complete with a few green olives for good measure. So of course, I had to figure out how to enjoy that same fabulous flavor later in the day. Introducing my Bloody Mary Vodka Sauce!
Rich and tangy, bold and spicy, smooth and comforting thats the way I like my Bloody Mary. And thats the way I make my Bloody Mary Vodka Sauce. Its filling and satisfying and a great way to warm up from the inside out this fall and winter season. And the best part is how easy it is to make!
Don’t Miss: Does Oxiclean Remove Tomato Sauce Stains
Why Do They Put Celery In A Bloody Mary
Bloody Marys are traditionally garnished with a stick or two of celery. The story goes, in 1970 a bartender from Chicagos famous Pump Room couldnt find a straw for the drink and added a celery stick instead. Now the celery stick is basically a required garnish for this The astringent and crunchy properties of the celery help cut through the thickness of the tomato juice. Not to mention it complements the other savory elements of the drink.
A Bartender We Know Locally Makes Her Special Spicy Bloody Mary On Saturdays Only Saturdays
Each Bloody Mary that Shelly makes is a labor of love. Shelly is the one who stops for the cocktail shrimp to grace each Bloody before she gets to work and then she crafts each one individually. I have had 3 during a visit once or twice, they are just that good!
Once one person orders one of Shellys Spicy Bloody Mary drinks, usually a few heads turn and a then instantly a few more orders get put in.
Shelly has wrecked me, my husband, my sister and so many others because usually, now any other Bloody Mary lets us down. Especially when you ask for a Spicy Bloody Mary. So many bartenders just add a bunch of Tabasco to the drink. Noooo, no! Thats just awful, its like you are drinking Tabasco. No thank you.
In my opinion, horseradish is the key to making a great Bloody IMO, and Kelchners is the BEST!!. Pickle juice is a great addition too especially if its from spicy pickles, mmmm! Is it Saturday yet??
Recommended Reading: Philadelphia Pasta Sauce
Bloody Mary Recipe: How To Make It
Horseradish makes this the best Bloody Mary recipe we’ve tasted. Without the horseradish, you’ll have a more traditional Bloody Mary, and without the alcohol, you’ll have a Virgin Mary. Serve with a stalk of celery, dill pickle spear or olives. Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Provided by Taste of Home
Total Time 10 minutes
- Using water, moisten rim of a highball glass. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon celery salt on a small plate dip rim into salt. Discard remaining celery salt from plate. Fill a shaker three-fourths full with ice. Place remaining ice in prepared glass. , Add vodka, juices, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish if desired, pepper, remaining celery salt and pepper sauce to shaker cover and shake until condensation forms on exterior, 10-15 seconds. Strain into prepared glass. Garnish as desired.
CLASSIC BLOODY MARY RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
BASIC SPICY TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
HOMEMADE BLOODY MARY MIX RECIPE – SIMPLYRECIPES.COM
10 BEST CHILI WITH TOMATO JUICE RECIPES – YUMMLY
HOMEMADE BLOODY MARY MIX RECIPE – SIMPLYRECIPES.COM
10 BEST CHILI WITH TOMATO JUICE RECIPES – YUMMLY
HOMEMADE TOMATO SAUCE I RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
FRESH TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
If You Enjoy Fun Cocktails Check Out A Few Others That I Am Known For:
- 1tsppepperoncini juice optional
- A few shakes black pepper
- 1TBSOld Bay seasoning
- 4-6ouncesof good quality vodkaor more
- Garnish ideas: Pickle spear celery stalkgreen olives , shrimp, pepperoncini, lemon slice or a lime slice
- Additional Garnish: I also like to serve some homemade spicy cocktail sauce on the side for dipping the shrimp I then will toss some in my Bloody tooit is SO good!
Read Also: Pioneer Woman Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Taste Test: The Best Hot Sauce For Bloody Marys
A properly made Bloody Mary can fix a lot of things — a bad night before, a very good night before, brunch hanger and a hankering for hot sauce. We all have a favorite hot sauce for our Bloody Mary, but we needed to test our loyalty. We set out on a blind taste test expedition, to determine once and for all the best Bloody Mary hot sauce of all.
We started with a standard homemade Bloody Mary mix: tomato juice, horseradish, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and vodka. We used Smirnoff, not because it’s our favorite vodka , but because it miraculously won our vodka taste test many moons ago.
With a big pitcher of Bloody Marys mixed up, we poured them into individual cups laced with 10 different hot sauces. We wanted to use the hot sauces you are most likely to find in your local grocery store, as you set out to make your very own Bloody Mary bar. No, there is no ghost pepper sauce. There is no Ass-Incinerating-Hellfire-Mash or whatever your cousin Dave makes in his garage. These are the hot sauces you’re most likely to encounter in the wilds of the American convenience store.
We absolutely cannot express how surprised we were by our winner. To be 100 percent honest with you, we only included the winning hot sauce in the taste test because we knew people would complain if it wasn’t there. That it emerged victorious has absolutely blown our minds.
Bloody Mary Mix: Tips
The key to a flavorful Bloody Mary is time and a few key ingredients. Heres a few tips to help you along!
- The mix tastes best if left to meld for at least 24 hours.
- Ice will help keep it chilled. While I would tell you that most cocktails should be shaken, you dont want to water down your Bloody Mary. Stir, do not shake, this drink.
- An immersion blender or a food processor will do the job if you dont have a blender.
- Canned diced tomatoes have fewer seeds .
- Canned whole or crushed tomatoes can be used, but you may need to strain some of those seeds out. Crush the whole tomatoes to release its juices and seeds. A slotted spoon will hold the larger pieces of tomatoes while allowing the seeds to remain in the liquid. Then you simply fine strain the liquid through a sieve to catch all the seeds, which can be discarded.
Simply Recipes / Elana Lepkowski
Recommended Reading: Substitute For Tomato Paste In Spaghetti Sauce
How Do I Rim A Glass
Big Batch Bloody Mary Mix
Whether you’re serving guests or just want a pitcher waiting in the fridge for a quick drink, it’s easy to increase the recipe. The make-ahead bloody mary works out best if you hold the vodka because it gives you the option of pouring another liquor or enjoying a nonalcoholic drink.
- For a bloody mary pitcher that will serve eight drinks, combine four cups of tomato juice, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon each of Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, celery salt, and black pepper, and about two teaspoons of horseradish in a pitcher. Stir well, taste and adjust the seasonings, and refrigerate for up to one week.
- When ready to serve, pour 1 1/2 ounces of vodka in an ice-filled glass and add the Bloody Mary mix.
- To spike the entire pitcher, add two cups of vodka.
Read Also: Is Tomatoes Good For Gout
Garnish At Your Own Risk
The Bloody Mary is the Pizza Hut salad bar of the cocktail world: Its easy to go overboard with toppings and mix-ins. What starts as a perfectly balanced brunch drink can quickly transform into a Frankensteins monster of a cocktail. If you get too crazy with your garnishes, it interferes with sipping the cocktail, says Brian Bartels, the author of The Bloody Mary. While we respect your right to top your Bloody Mary with anything from a speared olive to an entire roast chicken, we advocate at least starting with the classic: a blend of vodka, tomato juice, citrus, celery salt, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish, garnished with a crunchy celery stick. After you have mastered this classic formula, go ahead and experiment with the myriad of alternative ingredients in your Bloodylike Sherry, fish sauce and watermelonor a bevy of garnishes.
Making Homemade Bloody Mary Mix:
Every great Bloody Mary starts with a perfect Bloody Mary Mix!
I bought a store made mix for years so when I made it at home the first time I was surprised how easy and economical it was to put together. Now, I always make my own and you can too!
Bloody Marys always remind me of girls weekends, lazy beach days and fun brunches. The trend right now is to add lots of fun garnishes to your bloody. This includes everything from bacon, shrimp, pickled beans and baby cheeseburgers!
Its so much fun to build a Bloody Mary Bar for parties because the choices are endless and everyone can add their favorite garnish.
Bloody Marys with celery and bacon
After experimenting with many different versions I came up with an easy mix. You can use this as a base and add or subtract as much spice as you would like.
Don’t Miss: Is Alfredo Sauce Bad For Gout
Ways To Spice Up Your Bloody Mary Mix
Think of your Bloody Mary as a delicious blank canvas. Here are a few variations to adjust your cocktail to your taste.
- Spicy: Add 2 tablespoons of hot sauce or a whole jalapeño .
- Seafood: Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup clam juice and a cooked shrimp garnish.
- Smoky: Garnish it with a crispy strip of bacon and liquid smoke. Start with a drop or two and taste before adding more!
- Vodka is traditional, but you can use tequila for a Bloody Maria or aquavit for a Nordic spin. The caraway and fennel in the aquavit compliment the tomato and Worcestershire sauce.
Who Created The Bloody Mary
The popular story of the bloody mary’s origin gives credit to bartender Fernand “Pete” Petiot around 1924 at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris. Petiot brought it to the U.S. after Prohibition’s repeal in the ’30s when he was hired on at the St. Regis Hotel in New York City. For a few years, it was called the red snapper , particularly when made with gin instead of vodka.
Don’t Miss: Remove Spaghetti Sauce From Clothing
Tips For Making The Best Bloody Mary
Have skewers on hand that are long enough to fit the size of your trimmings for maximum load-ability. You dont want your guests to feel shortchanged on the garnishes.
Have plenty of ice on hand. Bloody Marys are best when refreshingly cold. Top the glasses to the rim with ice, and refrigerate the Mary mix before serving.
Create different flavored salts to rim your glass by combining kosher salt with different chile powders or herbs. Pour salts on small plates that just fit the rim of your glass. To coat, pour a small amount of water on a small plate. Roll the rim of the glass in the water and then in the salt.
The Classic Bloody Mary Recipe
We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
This classic Bloody Mary recipe probably dates back to the 1920s. Ever since then, bartenders have been working to improve it, and there are some fantastic variations out there. This is the simple, no-frills classic version of the recipe.
Some people would tell you the Bloody Mary is all about the garnish. And you can and should have a ton of fun with the garnish. You can add meat and veggies of all sorts.
But the original just called for a stalk of celery, and theres something classic about the look of it.
Fancy garnish really is so much fun for this drink. But before you play with the garnish, you want to master the flavor of the actual tomato juice mix.
Here it is, pictured with celery, bacon, a gherkin pickle, an olive, a cherry tomato and a celery salt rim. Which almost makes it lunch.
The taste of this drink is really all about how you season the tomato juice. Thats what you want to get just right.
This classic Bloody Mary is pretty straightforward. Its the best recipe to start with, and from there, you can tweak it to make your own signature version of it.
Read Also: Rao’s Alfredo Sauce Costco