Tomato Paste Instead Of Tomato Sauce
If you have a can of tomato paste in your pantry, you are in luckthis is the best substitution for tomato sauce. All you need is the tomato paste and water.
Mix together 1 part tomato paste and 1 part water until well blended. Then, season your “sauce” to taste. Tomato sauce is typically seasoned with herbs, garlic, and onion. You may even find the sauce benefits from a drizzle of olive oil or a pinch of sugar.
For the most authentic tomato sauce taste, cook the garlic and onion in oil until they’re soft, add the tomato paste and water mixture, and heat through. Taking the time to add a few extra ingredients will greatly enhance the flavor and texture of your finished sauce.
Can I Make Spaghetti Sauce From Whole Tomatoes
If you want to make spaghetti sauce completely from scratch using whole tomatoes rather than canned, youll need to peel your tomatoes and remove the stems. The easiest way to peel tomatoes is to blanch them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then immediately place them into an ice bath. The skins can then be easily removed. We also have a different recipe for Fire Roasted Spaghetti Sauce.
What Is The Difference Between Tomato Paste And Tomato Sauce
The major difference between tomato sauce and tomato paste lies in the concentration and the liquid content. Tomato paste is a rich concentrate made of tomatoes that have been cooked to lose all the moisture, while tomato sauce is not as concentrated and contains briefly boiled tomatoes in a fair amount of liquid. The details of the differences are given below:
You May Like: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Which One Is Healthier
Tomato paste has a higher nutritional value than tomato sauce. Not only is it denser and more concentrated but it also contains higher levels of lycopene.
This is an antioxidant that is known to deliver many health benefits such as improved skin health and heart health and protection against some forms of cancer. While this particular antioxidant is present in all tomatoes, there are higher levels of it present in processed varieties such as tomato paste.
A single serving of tomato paste also tends to have more calories and carbohydrates. Ultimately, in terms of nutritional value, tomato paste provides a healthier option than tomato sauce despite being used in smaller quantities.
What Does Tomato Paste Do In Sauce
Tomato paste is a fairly thick tomato-based flavor additive that helps to make your sauce thicker. This is because its basically thick tomato sauce already. When you add it to your spaghetti sauce, youre increasing the amount of tomato solids without increasing the amount of liquid by as much, therefore thickening the sauce.
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Spaghetti Sauce Made Using Tomato Sauce
Transform 2 cans of tomato sauce into a delicious, savory spaghetti sauce thatll fill all the bellies around your table tonight! Pasta sauce has never been easier or more affordable.
Hey, friends! Are you weathering the storms ok? Times are tough right now all around. I think were all feeling it on some level. There is currently some food hoarding going on, which has depleted the grocery shelves a bit. Hopefully, though, you have a few cans of tomato sauce sitting in your pantry because that is all you need to create a delicious and filling spaghetti sauce for tonights dinner!
I truly hope you are doing well and staying healthy during this uncertain time. If there is ever anything you would like me to cover that relates to food or recipe creation, Im all ears! This is a great recipe that my family loves and I hope yours does, too.
Why Is This The Best Marinara Sauce
Six reasons to love this recipe:
- This marinara sauce recipe requires 5 basic ingredients and yields rich, authentic marinara flavor.
- Its super easy to makeno chopping required.
- Unlike most store-bought sauces, this marinara is free of added sugar.
- You can load up your pasta with as much of this wholesome sauce as youd like. Tomatoes are good for you!
- The recipe yields two cups of sauce and freezes well, so you might as well double the recipe. Just cook it in a bigger pot.
- This marinara also makes an incredible pizza sauce. I made pizza with it and my friend remarked that it tastes like real-deal Italian pizza.
Please let me know in the comments how you like this sauce! Its a new staple in my kitchen, and I hope it becomes a go-to recipe for you as well.
Craving more classic Italian recipes? Dont miss these:
Don’t Miss: Strongest Hot Sauce
Tips For The Best Spaghetti Sauce
Since spaghetti has long been one of my favorite foods Ive picked up on lots of different things here and there to perfect it. Heres my tips:
- Really brown the beef. Dont add it all in one thin layer and toss and turn it constantly. Instead add it in large clumps, let the bottom really sear and brown then start to break it up.
- Use crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce or puree. It has a better, more tomato-y flavor.
- Dont be skimpy with the garlic, and add a fair amount of onion. These really build flavor here.
- Preferably use fresh basil.
- Allow time to simmer. This will offer time for those flavors to meld and compliment each other and time for the sauce to reduce and thicken a bit.
- Stir parmesan right into the sauce. Again we are building flavor and even though its only 1/4 cup it gives it special something.
How To Freeze Spaghetti Sauce
This pasta sauce recipe can easily be made a head of time. Prepare sauce as directed above and allow to cool completely. Label a gallon size freezer bag and pour sauce into bag. Seal tightly removing all the air and place flat in the freezer for up 4-6 months. To use, place frozen sauce in a large pot and reheat until warm.
You May Like: Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce
Ingredients In Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- Olive Oil: choose a high-quality olive oil to brown the meat and sauté the onions and garlic. This will only add to the flavor.
- Ground Beef: the type of ground beef is entirely up to and you can also switch out the ground beef for ground sausage.
- Yellow Onion: the onion brings a mild bite to the sauce that is a key flavor in spaghetti sauce.
- Garlic Cloves: these minced cloves bring the most powerful flavor that is so common in Italian recipes. Using freshly minced garlic will also bring about the best flavor.
- Tomato Paste: adding the tomato paste helps to thicken the sauce, but it also brings a strong flavor that is heightened when stirred in and cooked after the onions and garlic are cooked.
- Diced Tomatoes or Crushed Tomatoes: for a smoother sauce use crushed tomatoes and for a chunkier sauce go with diced tomatoes. Either one makes a delicious sauce.
- Water: this helps to bring the sauce together and you can use more or less to thicken it.
- Dried Oregano: this classic spice adds a peppery flavor to the sauce.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Adding parmesan cheese is optional, but strongly suggested for that delicious cheesy flavor.
- Fresh Basil: the fresh aroma of this peppery flavored leaf also adds a small hint of mint.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: You can prepare million dollar spaghetti 1 day ahead of time. Follow recipe instructions up to step 8 . allow it to cool, cover it well with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
To freeze: Prepare recipe right up until the baking step. Cover well with greased aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days, then bake for about 20 minutes covered and then 15-20 minutes uncovered. If baking from frozen, bake covered for about 40 minutes, then uncover and bake 20-30 minutes longer, or until bubbly and warm.
Recommended Reading: What Alfredo Sauce Is Keto Friendly
Can I Make This Spaghetti Sauce In The Instant Pot
Yes. To make this easy spaghetti sauce in the Instant Pot,
- Push the sauté button to heat the olive oil. Brown the meat and use a slotted spoon to remove the beef.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and then sauté the onions for 4 minutes and then add the garlic to cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the parmesan and basil.
- Cover and seal the lid. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and move the valve to vent.
- Remove the lid and stir in the grated parmesan.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
This Easy Baked Spaghetti combines a simple tomato meat sauce, spaghetti, cheese, and a creamy pesto layer.
Our readers have said that our Meaty Lasagna Recipe is the best theyve ever made. We combine beef, sausage, and a homemade sauce.
This Easy Fettuccine Alfredo features a silky smooth sauce made with butter and parmesan cheese, cooked sausage, and lightly wilted spinach.
For a lighter take on spaghetti, try our Fresh Veggie Spaghetti. The sauce is simple, vegetarian, and made 100% from scratch.
Don’t Miss: Rao’s Sauce Costco
How Much Tomato Paste Equals A Can Of Tomato Sauce
The average can of tomato sauce is around 14 ounces or 400 grams. If you want to make your own tomato sauce using a paste then you will want to make an amount equal to this.
So to do this you will need to mix around 4 tablespoons of tomato paste with one and a half cups of water You should also add one and a half tablespoons of flour and one and a half teaspoons of sugar. This will be a fairly watery substance however when you add it to a dish such as bolognese it will thicken as it cooks.
This mixture will only take about three minutes to thicken into a standard sauce-type consistency. This will add up to being an equal amount to a standard can of tomato sauce. If you pre-make a load of this mixture then it can be a fantastic way to prepare for meals in the future, jar and store your own tomato sauce for the future.
Spaghetti Sauce From One Can Of Tomato Paste
Delicious Spaghetti Sauce from One Can of Tomato Paste
In a pinch, a delicious homemade spaghetti sauce can be pulled together from a single can of tomato paste and some pantry spices. While you might have a tried and true spaghetti sauce recipe, this is a good one to have up your sleeve just in case!
1 can tomato paste2 cups of water¼ cup water + 1 tablespoon corn starch
1. Combine tomato paste, 2 cups water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and thyme in a saucepan. Bring to a low bubble, then reduce to a simmer. Allow simmering for 20 minutes to an hour, depending on your timeline. The longer it simmers, the better-seasoned it will taste.2. Stir in sugar, if using. This is optional, but will result in a flavor closer to the jarred varieties.3. Combine ¼ cup water and corn starch in small bowl or cup. Add to sauce in the pan and stir well. Allow to simmer a few more minutes until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
Read Also: Texas Pete Wing Sauce Recipes
Can You Substitute Tomato Paste For Tomato Sauce
Tomato paste can be substituted for tomato sauce but you need to carry out some amendments to make this substitution work better. As tomato sauce is concentrated than tomato sauce, so you need to dilute it with water first.
Also, tomato paste is slightly acidic. So, if you are using it instead of tomato sauce, use an ingredient that can balance out the acidity. A pinch of sugar or a small amount of vinegar can work well for this purpose.
More Tomato Sauce Substitutes
The following substitutes won’t stand in for tomato sauce if you’re making a pasta dish, but they will give you satisfactory results if the tomato sauce is being mixed into a crockpot recipe, casserole, or something similar that just needs that touch of tomato taste. Here are a couple of options to try.
- Ketchup: Use 1 cup of ketchup in place of 1 cup of tomato sauce. Add spices to tweak the flavor as needed. A bit of basil is a good choice.
- Tomato Soup: Add a 10 3/4-ounce can of tomato soup. Then, cut one of the wet ingredients in the recipe back by 1/4 cup to account for the extra liquid. Tomato soup tends to be sweeter than most tomato sauces, so you may need to make some flavor adjustments.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Is Tomato Paste Healthier Than Tomato Sauce
The major health benefit provided by tomatoes is due to their antioxidants. The antioxidant found in tomatoes is known as lycopene and it helps to prevent cell damage, maintain heart health, and reduce the risk of many types of cancers.
It is said that lycopene in the tomato paste absorbs better, making this ordinary cooking ingredient a powerful source of an important antioxidant. Thus, as far as the antioxidant contents go, tomato paste overshadows fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce that is cooked very little.
Pasta With Tomato Paste Sauce Recipe
Pasta is such a versatile meal staple and can be combined with so many different ingredients to create a variety of tasty family meals. For a classic Mediterranean style dish combine tomato paste with your favorite style of pasta, fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
Make sure you have the following ingredients on hand for a quick and tasty meal:
- Tomato paste
- Fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
If you dont have a store bought tomato paste in your pantry you can easily make your own from fresh or canned tomatoes. Its simple and when you make your own you know exactly what the ingredients are. An advantage of making your own tomato paste is being able to cut down on added salt and sugar in your diet.
Heres a quick recipe for making your own tomato paste to use as a pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes, allow 2 to 3 hours to create the perfect tomato paste.
Top Tip: Using canned tomatoes will shorten the cooking time to just 10 minutes.
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Favourite And Simple Spring Pasta Dish
How Do You Make Tomato Sauce From Tomato Paste
You can use tomato paste to make tomato sauce and the process is actually much easier than you may think. Ratio-wise, for each cup of paste you will need to balance it out with one cup of water. Of course, you will need to do this according to your recipe requirements.
Adding too much water and paste may otherwise affect the taste of the final dish. You will then need to season it and this can be done using some onions or garlic adding the amount that you feel compliments the rest of the sauce.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
Making Tomato Sauce Out Of Canned Tomatoes
To make your own tomato sauce out of a can of tomatoes, you can use whatever type of canned tomatoes you have on hand, whether they be whole, stewed, diced, or crushed.
First, drain off the liquid in the can and put it aside. Then give the tomatoes a quick whirl in your blender or food processor. If the resulting purée seems wetter than a typical tomato sauce, just drain off some of the excess liquid, or cook the mixture down until you reach the desired consistency. If using crushed tomatoes, cook down until it thickens a bit.
Some canned tomato products have added seasonings and some don’t. Taste your sauce and tweak the flavor if needed, adding salt, oregano, basil, or whatever spices you prefer. Cook your sauce just long enough to warm it through for a fresh tomato sauce, or cook it until it develops a dark color and thick texture if you want more of a jarred sauce consistency. If the sauce gets too thick, add some of the reserved liquid.
Recipes To Make Using Pasta Sauce
Aside from the obvious reason , my favorite thing about pasta sauce is that it is so versatile. Here are a few pasta dish options that feature it!
- Pour it over the top of cooked noodles of any kind.
- Use in place of store-bought sauce in your next pan of Baked Spaghetti or Baked Ziti!
- Lasagna and Cheesy Manicotti are both sooo good when made with Instant Pot spaghetti sauce!
- Use it as an ingredient to stuff spaghetti squash with!
- Add it to your morning eggs because everything tastes great with eggs.
- Top scrambled eggs with a few spoonfuls!
- Use it as a dip for breadsticks or garlic bread.
Read Also: Costco Raos Sauce