How To Make Homemade Mac And Cheese Step By Step Photos
Start by shredding an 8oz. block of sharp cheddar. Its very important to shred the cheese yourself instead of using pre-shredded cheese. For more information on that, see the section above the recipe titled Avoid Pre-Shredded Cheese.
Next, boil 8oz. of macaroni according to the box directions . Drain the macaroni in a colander.
You can start the cheese sauce either while the macaroni is boiling, or wait until its draining and just make it in the same pot to save on dishes. Add 3 Tbsp butter, 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour, and ½ tsp onion powder to the pot.
Place the pot over medium heat and allow the butter to melt. Whisk the butter, flour, and onion powder together as the mixture begins to get bubbly and frothy. Cook and whisk for about one minute after it becomes bubbly.
Whisk 2 cups of milk into the butter and flour roux. Continue whisking as the milk begins to heat .
Allow the milk to come up to a gentle simmer, at which point it will thicken to the consistency of heavy cream or gravy. Turn the burner off at this point.
Season the sauce with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp hot sauce, or the seasonings of your choice .
Begin adding 8oz. shredded cheddar to the pot, one handful at a time, whisking until it is completely melted before adding more. If the sauce cools down too much to continue melting the cheese, you can put it over low heat briefly, but avoid allowing the sauce to simmer again. Overheating cheese sauces will cause them to break and become grainy and oily.
Keep These Tips In Mind When Cooking With Cheese:
- Shred, crumble, or finely dice the cheese before heating to ensure quick, smooth melting. The colder the cheese is, the easier it will be to cut.
- The less you heat cheese, the better. When making soup, sauce, or fondue, add the cheese last then heat it only as long as it takes to melt. If it gets too hot it will get tough. Often, you can remove the pan from the burner the residual heat will melt the cheese.
- Allow the shredded cheese to come to room temperature before adding it to a hot mixture.
- Starch will keep the cheese from curdling. If using all-purpose flour, add it to the mixture before the cheese it needs to be cooked for a few minutes to remove the starchy taste.
- Adding an acidic ingredient such as wine or lemon juice will help prevent the cheese from becoming stringy. This is why most cheese fondue recipes have a base of white wine. Simply sprinkle some lemon juice over the shredded cheese before heating it.
- Reduced-fat cheeses melt differently than regular full-fat cheeses. Reduced fat cheese will take longer to melt and will not have the same velvety consistency in the sauce. Be sure to shred reduced-fat cheese very finely, and allow it to melt over very low heat while stirring constantly.
Why This Is Our Favorite Homemade Mac & Cheese Ever
Hello, my name is Holly and I am obsessed with Macaroni and Cheese. I love all kinds from crock pot mac & cheese to baked mac and cheese, or even out of a little blue box. Of all of the cheesy macaroni recipes, *this* recipe right here is the best mac and cheese recipe ever and always gets rave reviews!
- The sauce is from scratch and easy to make.
- This recipe is extra saucy.
- The pasta doesnt get dry, its still nice and creamy even after its baked in the oven.
- Its got great flavor, especially when using sharp cheddar cheese.
- And most importantly, its the best homemade mac and cheese youve ever had.
Also Check: How To Get Sauce Out Of White Shirt
How To Make Mac And Cheese
If youve never made homemade mac and cheese before, it can seem a bit daunting. But dont worry, well break it down and take it step by step!
- Boil the pasta, drain.
- Make the cheese sauce by combining a fat , and starch , then whisking in the milk products.
- Cook the sauce until its nice and thick.
- Add in shredded cheeses, stir well.
- Combine cheese sauce with cooked pasta.
- Transfer half of the mac and cheese to a baking dish, sprinkle with more shredded cheese.
- Top with the rest of the mac and cheese, top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake and prepare to thoroughly enjoy!
Stir In A Tablespoon Of Cream Cheese For A Smooth Texture And Flavorful Zing
To lend a creamier texture and a hint of acidity to your boxed mac and cheese, look no farther than cream cheese.
“Start by adding one tablespoon of cream cheese,” says founder and food blogger Michelle Adenle of My Morning Mocha. Stir until it’s incorporated into the sauce and macaroni. If the single tablespoon gets you the thicker and richer mac and cheese you crave, feel free to stop there. But if you want even more cheesiness, go ahead and add another tablespoon.
Read Also: How To Make Freddy’s Fry Sauce
Easy Stovetop Mac And Cheese
Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese is the easiest and most delicious Mac and cheese ever! Ready in just 15 minutes, this is an amazing weeknight dinner for busy families!
Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese is the easiest and most delicious Mac and cheese ever! Ready in just 15 minutes, this is an amazing weeknight dinner for busy families!
Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Is it because we have fond memories of the Blue Box as a kid? Possibly. Is it the irresistible cheesiness? Most definitely. While the Blue Box was great back in the day, our tastes have matured to move away from the store-bought mac and cheese. If youve never had made-from-scratch mac and cheese, you are in for a serious treat. We know parents and kids will agree that the real cheddar cheese in this creamy sauce just cant be beat.
Cooking Tips For Baked Mac And Cheese
- Boiling the pasta cook the pasta less than you normally would. I like to boil my elbow pasta for between 4 and 5 minutes. The pasta will continue to cook in the oven, and you dont want it to get mushy.
- Use room temp liquids if you can cold liquids generally take longer to thicken than warmer ones. I usually set my milk and half and half out while the water for the pasta is coming up to a boil.
- The cheeses use your favorites! Our personal favorites are the cheddar and gruyere used in this recipe, but you can be very creative with the cheese selection here. Mozzarella, gouda, smoked gouda, swiss, monterey jack, colby jack, colby. There are plenty of reader comments down below the recipe that talk about the cheeses they used!
- Shred your own I know its a pain, and its SO tempting to use the pre-shredded cheese in the bags. But those bags of cheese contain a starchy substance that keeps the cheese from clumping which also prohibits it from melting as well as it should.
Don’t Miss: Ragu Chicken Alfredo Recipe
The Best Stovetop Mac And Cheese Recipe
I should probably say right now that this recipe is the real deal. Because on the special occasions when I indulge in creamy mac and cheese, Im not interested in healthy shortcuts. Gimme all the carbs + all the cheese, please. ?
Lets talk about this delicious recipe thats ready to go in about 20 minutes from start to finish and only requires one pot.
For most of my homemade mac and cheese making life, Ive always done the two-pot method one for cooking the pasta, and one for making the cheesy sauce which totally works! But dishes have always been the bane of my existence. AND when I started posting on Instagram about my macaroni and cheese recipe experimenting this month, I heard from many of you who recommended the one-pot method. Because apparently cooking the pasta in the sauce itself releases all of those starches into the saucewhich makes it extra creamyand also helps bind the sauce to the pasta even better. Also, the entire process only takes about 15 minutes to cook. And also, no need to wash the extra pan.
Sounded like a win-win-winwinwin to me.
Sure enough, after testing a few batches, Im now a total convert to the one-pot camp. Works like a cheesy charm! ?
Also, lets talk about your cheese options here.
Also, if you want an even creamier mac and cheese, youre welcome to use half cheddar, and half gouda or fontina . But 99% of the time, I keep things simple with straight cheddar and never regret it.
The skys basically the limit here.
Making Al Dente Macaroni
Aside from following the instructions listed on the pastas packaging, you can figure out whether a pasta is truly al dente by tasting it as it cooks. You will know a pasta is completely al dente when you feel a firm but soft consistency when you try biting the pasta.
Another thing you can check for when cooking pasta, is the color of the pasta itself. A truly al dente pasta should have an even color all throughout. You can check this by simply slicing a piece of pasta in half, and checking whether its insides have the same color as its outside.
Did you like the mac and cheese you ended up with? I hope you had a great and easy time cooking this dish as much as I did. You can use this recipe if you are preparing for a childrens party, or if you are trying to impress a date, or if youre simple craving for a cheesy dish of mac and cheese.
If you would like to read more cooking tutorials like Can You Freeze Parmesan Cheese?, or how to make chicken alfredo sauce?, kindly leave us your feedback in the comment box below. If you like this article, please feel free to share this with your friends and family. Until next time, enjoy!
Also Check: How To Get Out Tomato Sauce Stains
Extra Cheesy Homemade Mac And Cheese
I have several flavored macaroni and cheese recipes on Budget Bytes already, but I realized I didnt have one single plain, classic homemade mac and cheese recipe. Like, nothing fancy or unique, just straight up creamy, comforting, cheesy goodness! So thats what I have for you today. Its a classic stovetop macaroni and cheese recipe made with a classic roux-based cheese sauce that will satisfy all of your cheesy pasta cravings. Its amazingly delicious on its own, but Ive also included a list of fun add-ins and other ways you can customize your mac and cheese and make it unique.
What Can I Add To Stove Top Mac And Cheese
Of course, theres still plenty of room for customization here. Thats the fun part!
- Try pepper jack or chipotle cheese to make a spicy mac.
- Substitute mozzarella for Monterey Jack for a milder flavor
- Add blue cheese, Ranch, and buffalo sauce to make this Creamy Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese.
- Stir in cooked peas or broccoli florets to up the veggie content. It would also be great with Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower.
- Top with breadcrumbs and bake to make this Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese with Panko Crumb Topping.
- Try adding shrimp and scallops for a fancy pants Seafood Mac and Cheese.
The possibilities are endless, so if youre looking for an awesome base recipe that you can make for any occasion, this is the one!
Don’t Miss: What Is Rao Sauce
What Makes It Extra Cheesy
For this extra cheesy homemade mac and cheese, I did use slightly more roux and added about 30% more cheese than I generally do to my simple stovetop mac and cheese recipes. And Im not even sorry about it. The thicker sauce and extra cheese made this mac and cheese so lusciously creamy and cheesy that I couldnt stop sneaking forkfuls between photographs. AND the best part is that it even stays smooth and creamy when reheated in the microwave. Mac and cheese heaven!
Variations Of Mac And Cheese
- Bacon if you love bacon, feel free to add some crispy, crumbled bacon to the topping, or even inside the mac and cheese as well!
- Stovetop if youd prefer not to bake this mac and cheese, you dont have to! Make sure you boil your pasta until al dente , and youll only need about 3 3 1/2 cups of cheese total. No need to layer the pasta and cheese, just add all the cheese to the sauce, then combine with the pasta.
- Different Toppings Im a huge fan of the cheese layer on top, since it gets nice and crispy, but we also love tossing 1 cup of panko with 2 Tbsp of melted butter and using that as a topping. 1 cup of crushed Ritz crackers with 2 Tbsp of butter work amazingly well too!
- Different Baking Times the recipe calls for a lower baking temperature and time, but most of the time I find myself adjusting that based on my familys tastes. I like to bake this mac and cheese at 350 F degrees for 30 minutes, then broil for 2-3 minutes to get that glorious cheesy crust.
Read Also: Roas Sauce
Whats The Difference Between Manwich And Sloppy Joes
Technically Manwich is a pre-made sauce thats used to make sloppy joes. Im not sure exactly whats in it, and have never tried it myself, so I cant say that my recipe tastes similar or not. Manwich is marketed as a easy way to make sloppy joes but in reality, homemade sloppy joes are JUST as easy to make!
Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
The Chunky Chef03/23/2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is ultra creamy and rich with a velvety smooth sauce! Ready in about 20 minutes, its always a family favorite. Perfectly cooked, every time, and no need to babysit the pasta, or even drain it! Made with no canned milk and no Velveeta.
This Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is the perfect comfort food! Recipes like my Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa and Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup are great for when you want an ultra-comforting family meal thats ready incredibly fast. This is one of my Pressure Cooker recipes youll definitely want in your recipe box!
INSTANT POT MAC AND CHEESE
Youve been asking for it, and Ive been working on it this is the Instant Pot Mac and Cheese that will make your mouth completely water, and have you reaching for seconds.
The lusciously creamy cheese sauce, enveloping every noodle so full of flavor, yet so simply made.
This mac and cheese is just as easy as making that macaroni in the blue box but is SO much better for you. No preservatives and other hard to pronounce ingredients. Just pure cheesy goodness!
When I was developing this recipe, I used cheeses that I found melted really well, and gave a good classic mac and cheese flavor, however, Ill also be detailing different cheeses you can use if you prefer another mixture.
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Sauce Recipe
Storage And Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through. You may need to add a scant amount of water to the saucepan to thin out the sauce.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other macaroni and cheese recipes:
Experimenting With Homemade Mac And Cheese
For me, boxed mac was the gateway drug that led to years of experimentation. Steps on my journey included:
- Adding different real cheeses to boxed mac .
- Toying with the ratio of milk, butter, cream, and salt in my own early recipes.
- And while my fellow teens were having a goth phase, I was having a Velveeta phase.
Im glad those days are history, because now that were grown-ups, we dont ever have to settle for anything less than the Creamiest Mac and Cheese ever again.
Also Check: Freddy’s Fry Seasoning Recipe
Make Creamy Mac And Cheese Like A Pro
Your loved ones shouldnt have to settle for less either. At least from you. Because this BBQ/Potluck season, youre NOT going to be that guy who brings a crock-pot full of easy mac to the gathering.
Ive done the homework for you on this one learning about different types of cheese, the construction of the perfect bechamel, and what type of noodle to use. After much debate, I finally decided to try a recipe from the ladies behind Homeroom restaurant, an Oakland, CA eatery devoted entirely to macaroni and cheese.
This is quite simply the best macaroni and cheese recipe Ive ever made. It is so full of supremely creamy, rich, cheddary noodles that it is sure to be your go-to mac and cheese recipe. This is the recipe I take to family reunions, the one I make on cold nights when Im craving comfort food, and the one I serve alongside Air Fryer Hot Dogs and Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.
Ive included all the tips from the Homeroom Restaurant below, so you can make amazing creamy mac and cheese at home!
Easy Ingredients For Creamy Cheese Sauce:
With just 4 simple and familiar ingredients, you can make a cheese sauce that is so tasty you will want to drizzle it on everything! Basic ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry and fridge will combine easily and make a creamy sauce everyone will enjoy.
- Butter: Gives the sauce rich flavor.
- Flour: Thickens the sauce.
- Milk: Thins the sauce out a bit and adds sweet flavor.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: Freshly grated cheese will melt better and give a stronger flavor than the coated shredded cheese you can buy in a bag at the store.
Also Check: Rao Tomato Sauce