Sweet Italian Sausage Ragu
Wow! Check out this delicious Sweet Italian Sausage Ragu created by Amy Jane from Greedy Guts Food Blog!
Ballymaloe Foods make this Spicy Tomato Stir In Pasta Sauce in small batches using all-natural ingredients. The addition of chili spices up any dish and enhances flavour and its perfect for stirring into hot, freshly cooked pasta.
Our sausage makers craft this Italian inspired sausage using a blend of herbs and spices such as paprika, fennel, basil, oregano, garlic, and more.
Like our Sweet Italian sausage, the Ballymaloe Spicy Tomato Stir In Pasta Sauce is also gluten free.
Try make this delicious sausage ragu dish at home and make sure to share the results with us!
Head over to Greedy Guts Food Blog on Instagram and check out some more amazing food inspiration ideas!
Why This Recipe Is A Keeper
Italian sausage and bell peppers are a match made in culinary heaven. They come together here in a hearty pasta sauce that will rival your favorite homestyle Italian restaurant!
I had too many cans of tomatoes in various forms in my pantry so was happy to find this Slow Cooker Spicy Sausage and Pepper Ragu recipe in The Complete Make-Ahead Cookbook: From Appetizers to Desserts 500 Recipes You Can Make in Advance from Americas Test Kitchen.
Anytime a meal can:
- Simmer away in a slow cooker unattended or while Im away
- Make enough for another meal
- Freeze and reheat beautifully IM IN!!
Slow Cooker Spicy Italian Sausage Ragu is perfect to make now for a meal to enjoy right away and youll have some to put away!
Its also versatile! If youre not into pork Italian sausage, substitute turkey or chicken Italian sausage or simply ground beef or ground turkey.
This Sausage Ragu Gets Its Incredible Flavour From The Italian Sausages And Cooking It Long And Slow
Cooked long and slow, starting with the classic soffritto which might sound fancy but it just refers to sautéing onions, garlic, celery and carrots over low heat to make them beautifully sweet. Its a secret tip to create an incredible base.
This ragu is rich with extra flavour owing to the addition of the Italian sausages. And the MUST DO step to serve this up is tossing the pasta with the sauce in some of the pasta cooking water!! Its an absolute essential, called emulsification, it makes the pasta suck up the flavour and the sauce glossy so it sticks to every strand of pasta. I rant and rave about it in all my pasta recipes so Ill save you the pain of hearing about it again!
Oh wait, I think I just did. Sorry!
See how the pasta is a bit red? Thats because it sucked up flavour while it was being tossed with the sauce. And you see how the pasta has sauce on it? Especially for thick pastas like pappardelle , if you dont do the extra step of tossing the pasta with the sauce, the sauce doesnt stick to the pasta so you end up with big mouthfuls of pasta with not much meat sauce.
In fact, I got SO excited about this ragu, I made it twice and the 2nd time I filmed it to make a video so you can see how easy this is to make!
This is one for the weekend. For lazy Sundays.
This Sausage Ragu recipe makes a lot. Serves 8, maybe even 10. I just didnt feel it was worth making less! Nagi x
Also Check: How To Make Rao’s Sauce
Variations On Sausage Ragu
- If you dont have spicy Italian sausage, you can use ground pork with ½ tsp red pepper flakes in its place.
- Dont have thyme? Use oregano or rosemary instead. Fresh parsley makes a great garnish, too!
- Like things creamy? Just before serving , stir in ¼ cup heavy cream. Itll add a richness that is luscious!
- Out of shallots? Use diced onion instead!
- Instead of polenta, serve over your pasta of choice! Long and thing pastas or shapes that have wholes for catching pockets of sauce are great options.
What To Serve With Ragu Sauce
This sauce would be great on any cooked pasta from spaghetti to elbow noodles and penne. Serve it up as a homemade spaghetti and pasta sauce dinner or use it as a base sauce for Italian flavored soups, casseroles, and more. This sauce tastes great over pasta with a side of green veggies like salad or green beans for delicious italian cuisine.
Don’t Miss: Alfredo Sauce With Oat Milk
Italian Sausage Ragu Sauce
Take your basic meat sauce to the next level with the addition of Italian sausage mince to create an incredible Sausage Ragu Sauce! This pasta is easy, rich and indulgent, and youd pay serious money for this at posh Italian restaurants.
Like Shredded Beef Ragu, cooking this sausage pasta sauce long and slow gives it time to develop deep, complex flavours. Indulge in a full Italian banquet by adding a side of Garlic Bread and a garden salad with Italian Dressing!
Quick And Easy Ragu Sauce
This rich and hearty Ragu sauce is total comfort food! Sausage and beef are simmered together with seasoning and beef broth then tossed with hot, cooked spaghetti for an upscale version of spaghetti and meat sauce!
You can have a wonderful homemade Ragu sauce prepared in 20 minutes and then set to simmer for a while longer. The recipe is very simple which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner, but the layered flavors in this sauce will make it feel like you spent hours painstakingly cooking it to perfection.
Youre going to be happy to know that making your own Ragu pasta sauce is about as easy as opening a jar, and tastes WAY better! This sauce is easy and versatile, which is the best kind of comfort cooking! Once you know how to make homemade pasta sauce, youll never go back to storebought again.
Storing Short Rib Ragu
- Making ahead: If making ahead, fully prepare the short rib ragu and store. Prepare the pasta fresh, when ready to eat.
- To store: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To freeze: Allow the short rib ragu to fully cool and store in a flat layer in a freezer bag. Defrost overnight in refrigerator and heat up in pot till warmed through.
Ragu Sweet Italian Sausage And Cheese Pasta Sauce 677g
This item is non-returnable due to the consumable nature of the product.
However, in the unlikely event of damaged, defective or different/wrong item delivered to you, we will provide a full refund or free replacement as applicable. We may contact you to ascertain the damage or defect in the product prior to issuing refund/replacement.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Peppers Are In Louisiana Hot Sauce
How To Make Ragu Sauce
Tips For The Best Ragu Sauce
- Use a wine thats good enough to drink! When you cook with wine, the flavor concentrates as the alcohol reduces. What this means is that the wine flavor will become more pronounced as it cooks, so use something that you enjoy!
- Do not skip the cinnamon! Its absolutely the secret ingredient that gives this ragu sauce its edge. It adds warmth and just a hint of spice.
- Fresh thyme will have more flavor than dried thyme!
- Best on the 2nd day! We know thats counterintuitive to what you might expect, but most sauces are even more delicious the next day! Make and simmer the sauce, then allow to cool to room temperature completely before refrigerating. Letting the ragu sauce sit overnight will give all the flavors a chance to meld together. Reheat the next day and enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Peter Luger Steak Sauce Walmart
Italian Sausage Sauce With Tomato
The sausage sauce is a classic peasant recipe. It is prepared with some variations, in many parts of Italy. As I said, there are many versions: with peppers, or mushrooms, or simply tossed with pasta and a few tablespoon of whipping cream! Today I decided to combine this tasty sauce with a simple tomato puree, used to be presented frequently at my familys table. The preparation is not difficult, but requires a few precautions. The sausages must be cooked until golden brown, then being dipped into the tomato puree. After that, is mandatory to proceed with a very slow cooking until the meat is extremely soft. The best way to taste the sausage sauce is with a kind of pasta of your choice, in particular fresh pasta, rigatoni or shells.
If you like my recipes, please give me a +1
a simple action to help the growth of this blog
- 1 lb Italian sausages
- cup tomato puree
- 4.5 tbsp cooking salt
What Are Beef Short Ribs
- Short ribs come from the rib portion of cows and contains a piece of the rib and varied thickness of meat over.
- Short ribs are how they are cut in size, about 3 thick and cut across the bone. Other styles are flanken and spare ribs, but for this recipe you want to use short ribs.
- Bone-in vs. boneless short ribs: you can get boneless short ribs, but for maximum flavor and best texture, you want to use bone-in short ribs for this recipe.
You May Like: Remoulade Sauce Whole Foods
Also Check: Slice Of Sauce Net Worth
What Happens If Ragu Pasta Sauce Flavored With Meat Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Dont Replace: For items youd rather not replace, choose Dont replace to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
Tips For The Perfect Spaghetti And Italian Sausage
- Cook Slow and Low. The longer the sauce cooks, the better it tastes.
- Dont forget to stir! Be sure to stir your sauce every half hour or so to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- During the cooking process, if the sauce looks too thick, add a 1/2 cup of water at a time until its your desired consistency.
- If you like your sauce extra thick, you can add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to the sauce to thicken it.
- If the sauce is too acidic you can add a teaspoon of sugar at a time to balance it out.
- If the sauce tastes too sweet, you can add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar at a time to cut the sweetness.
- You can also cook this recipe in a slow cooker Prepare on your stove up to the simmering step, and then throw everything into your slow cooker. Cook on low heat for up to 8 hours.
Recommended Reading: Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce Ingredients
Double Up And Save Time
We know you rarely have time to spend an afternoon cooking. Sometimes on the weekends you have soccer practice or you want to take the family to the zoo. But quality family time outside of the kitchen doesnt mean you cant enjoy bolognese once youre back home.
The sauce can be made a day ahead. Or cook a double batch of this recipe and freeze it for the next weekend. All youll need to do is heat up the bolognese and cook some pasta. Mom magic will put dinner on the table in short order.
See how easy it was to make an incredible, soul-soothing meal?
Now pat yourself on the back, because youre winning at this dinner thing.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- Grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
Serving Short Rib Ragu
You can serve the short rib ragu over pasta of choice, my favorite is pappardelle. I always love serving my homemade roasted garlic bread on the side, to soak up all the delicious juices.
Serve with freshly chopped parsley and freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese. Pecorino Romano cheese is a hard salty cheese made out of sheeps milk.
- 1/3 lb. bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 1/3 lb. bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms reconstituted according to package directions, and chopped
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- Liquid from reconstituting porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
Don’t Miss: Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce Recipe
Ragu Pasta Sauce: Chunky
Ragu Chunky Tomato Garlic & Onion Sauce 14 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 90 Calories, 2g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 460mg Sodium, 16g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Ragu Chunky Sundried Tomato Sweet Basil 23.9 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 90 Calories, 2.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 470mg Sodium, 15g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Chunky Super Vegetable Primavera 23.9 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 80 Calories, 2.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 480mg Sodium, 14g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Chunky Tomato, Garlic & Onion Sauce 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 80 Calories, 2g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 460mg Sodium, 14g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Chunky Mamas Special Garden Sauce 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 90 Calories, 2.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 460mg Sodium, 15g Total Carbohydrate, 3g Protein
Chunky Mushroom & Green Pepper 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 80 Calories, 2g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 470mg Sodium, 13g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Chunky Garden Combination Sauce 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 90 Calories, 2.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 470mg Sodium, 14g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Chunky Parmesan & Romano Sauce 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 80 Calories, 2.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 450mg Sodium, 11g Total Carbohydrate, 3g Protein
Meat & Cheese Creations Plus Cream Sauces
Meat Creations Sweet Italian Sausage & Cheese 23.9 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 90 Calories, 3g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 480mg Sodium, 13g Total Carbohydrate, 3g Protein
Meat Creations Sautéed Onion & Beef Sauce 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 70 Calories, 1.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 480mg Sodium, 12g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Meat Creations Grilled Steak Pasta Sauce 24 Oz
Per One Half Cup: 70 Calories, 1.5g Total Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 480mg Sodium, 11g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Ragu Cheese Creations, Creamy Tomato 16 Oz
Per One Quarter Cup: 90 Calories, 8g Total Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 220mg Sodium, 4g Total Carbohydrate, 1g Protein
Ragu Light Parmesan Alfredo Sauce 16 Oz
Per One Quarter Cup: 60 Calories, 4g Total Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 320mg Sodium, 2g Total Carbohydrate, 2g Protein
Ragu Classic Alfredo Sauce 16 Oz
Per One Quarter Cup: 90 Calories, 9g Total Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 320mg Sodium, 2g Total Carbohydrate, 1g Protein
Ragu Creamy Basil Alfredo Sauce 16 Oz
Per One Quarter Cup: 90 Calories, 8g Total Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 330mg Sodium, 3g Total Carbohydrate, 1g Protein
Ragu Four Cheese Sauce 16 Oz
Per One Quarter Cup: 80 Calories, 8g Total Fat, 20mg Cholesterol, 230mg Sodium, 2g Total Carbohydrate, 1g Protein
Recommended Reading: Best Spaghetti Sauce At Walmart
Recommended Reading: Where Is Texas Pete Hot Sauce Made
How To Make An Easy Sausage Ragu