Sloppy Joe Sauce Variations
This recipe is for a traditional Sloppy Joe, but you can vary the recipe a bit.
- Want a sauce that is a bit smoky? You can add some chipotle or liquid smoke.
- Want a little heat? A teaspoon or two of your favorite chili powder will be perfect in it.
- I have added a teaspoon or two of mustard into the sauce. You can use either Dijon or regular yellow mustard.
The possibilities are endless to the sauce.
Recipe For Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce
How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce Step-by-Step Brown ground beef in large sauce pot or skillet with pepper and onion. Drain grease. Add all other ingredients, mix well. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. That’s it. You can serve on whatever bread you perfer. Printable Recipe Card About Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce
This super simple homemade Sloppy Joe sauce recipe is one of them! It doesnt taste anything like store bought Manwich, but it is SO much better. A bit of sweetness is the perfect addition to the traditional taste of Sloppy Joes. SIMPLE HOMEMADE SLOPPY JOE SAUCE RECIPE. 1 lb. ground beef. 1 onion, diced.
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe Without Ketchup
Pan-fried chicken in a lemon butter and white wine sauce was the poultry of the moment in restaurants around the country. Brown the ground chuck and onion in a large deep skillet.
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes My Homemade Roots Recipe Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe Homemade Sloppy Joes Sloppy Joes Recipe
Sloppy Joe Sauce Variations:
There are quite a few ways you can doctor up this sloppy sauce recipe.
- Add chopped onion: Cook finely chopped yellow onion with the bell peppers. You may find it best to omit the onion powder when using fresh onion.
- Add jalapenos: Remove the seeds and ribs of 1-2 jalapenos then chop them and cook them with the bell pepper.
- Add cayenne pepper: This will add a good bit of heat to the sauce. Stir in ¼-1/2 teaspoon when you add the black pepper.
- Add yellow mustard: Stir in 2-3 teaspoons of yellow mustard when you add the tomato puree.
Can You Freeze Sloppy Joes
The short answer to this questions is yes, you can freeze homemade sloppy Joes. You will want to completely cool your Sloppy Joe mix in the refrigerator before sealing in airtight containers or heavy duty freezer bags. If it is properly stored, it will last 3 to 4 months in the freezer.
When storing your sloppy Joes, you can store it in individual serving sizes to easily thaw or you can store it all in one container.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Remove Tomato Sauce Stains From Clothes
Why Are Sloppy Joes Called Sloppy Joes
There are many origin stories of the sloppy joe. One is that it was born in 1918 at a bar in Havana, Cuba, owned by José Abeal y Otero. He changed the name of his establishment after his American friends gave him the nickname Sloppy Joe. He had sandwiches on his menu, but they werent much like the sloppy joes we enjoy today.
Another story goes that a second Sloppy Joes Bar was christened in 1933 in Key West, Florida. Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway was a regular at the bar, and suggested that the owner rename it after the popular bar in Cuba. This is where the sandwich was crafted into the more recognizable version we know today.
Most people, however, believe that sloppy joes appeared first in the 20s from a cook at Ye Old Tavern in Sioux City, Iowa, by the name of Joe. He combined tomato sauce with seasoned ground beef in a loose meat sandwich, and the first recipe for how to make sloppy joes was created.
While the master chef behind this beloved sandwich is still up for debate, the most important fact remainsthey are so good to eat.
How Long To Simmer Your Sauce
This Sloppy Joe recipe is flexible and turns out tasty whether you need to make it in a flash or you have extra time to allow it to simmer.
At a minimum, you should let the mixture simmer long enough to heat through once you’ve stirred the sauce into the meat. I’d recommend 10 minutes of simmering, if possible.
However, if you have the time, the flavors will really meld and develop if you allow your mixture to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes . Just keep the heat low and stir occasionally to prevent sticking or burning. And if the sauce starts to get too thick, stir in a little bit of water to buy you more simmering time.
One trick I sometimes use is to make this recipe on the stove and then transfer it to a slow cooker just before I go pick up my kids from school. When it’s time to eat that evening, dinner is already ready and the flavor is extra yummy…double win!
Also Check: Hellmann’s Drizzle Sauces Walmart
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
Ive got nothing against store-bought Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce, but these homemade Sloppy Joes are so much tastier and almost as easy as popping open a can! The old-fashioned recipe is a classic American comfort food that dates back to the early 20th century, and its no surprise that the sweet-and-savory sandwiches have been loved for generations.
In fact, Marilyn Brown, the Director of the Consumer Test Kitchen at H.J. Heinz, suggests that Sloppy Joes originated with the loose meat sandwiches sold in Sioux City, Iowa in the 1930s. Those sandwiches were , which might explain todays term for the simple recipe, Sloppy Joes. These sandwiches consist of a combination of ground beef in a tomato-based sauce, piled high on hamburger buns. Whats not to love?!
Also Check: What Is In Mcdonalds Special Sauce
How To Eat A Sloppy Joe
The nutritional info for this sloppy joe recipe is just for the meat. Below are some ideas for serving them.
- Sandwich Serve on a whole wheat roll or potato roll, which is my familys favorite way to eat them. Just make sure to have plenty of napkins on hand!
- Sliders If youre feeding kids, use slider buns for a smaller sandwich.
- Over Veggies Make it gluten-free and serve it over baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, or roasted spaghetti squash.
How To Make This Recipe
Sloppy Joes Recipe Variations
This sloppy Joe recipe is the way I love it, but can easily be modified to suit your taste buds.
- Health conscience? Use ground turkey instead of beef.
- Swap out the ketchup for BBQ sauce.
- Too sweet? Cut back on the brown sugar.
- Like it spicier? Stir in some chopped jalapeños.
- Want it richer? Use beef or chicken broth instead of the water.
- Hate vegetables? Omit the onion and bell pepper.
- Fill a hollowed out bun with sloppy Joe meat, top with cheese, and stick it under the broiler for a couple minutes.
- Instead of a bun, top a baked potato with the sloppy Joe mixture! Yummy!
- Have a crowd or want leftovers for the next day? Easily double the recipe.
Read Also: Rao’s Spicy Marinara Sauce
Whats The Difference Between Manwich And Sloppy Joes
Technically Manwich is a pre-made sauce thats used to make sloppy joes. Im not sure exactly whats in it, and have never tried it myself, so I cant say that my recipe tastes similar or not. Manwich is marketed as a easy way to make sloppy joes but in reality, homemade sloppy joes are JUST as easy to make!
How To Make Sloppy Joes:
1. Brown the beef. Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender and translucent.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and allow everything to simmer together for 30 minutes. .
3. Serve. After letting the sloppy joe mixture simmer, serve it warm on a toasted hamburger bun!
Read Also: Tomato Juice Stain Removal
The Best Sloppy Joe Recipe
Saucy, beefy and so satisfying. Were convinced this is the BEST recipe for a homemade Sloppy Joe. Ground beef in a hearty tomato sauce served on toasted hamburger buns is a great idea for lunch or dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This delicious sloppy joe recipe is such a simple recipe and so inexpensive to make, a budget-friendly family dinner. The tender and juicy ground beef are sauteed with green peppers and onion then cooked in a hearty tomato sauce.
Having some go-to ground beef recipes like Cheeseburger Sliders, Taco Salad, or Sloppy Joes will make dinner time a breeze. If you have some ground beef in the freezer and need an easy meal idea, this is a must-try.
Frugal Tip For Ground Beef Sloppy Joes:
Did you know that you can mix ground turkey in with your ground beef? With my big family of 8, this is is a nice money saver. Ground turkey is about half the cost of ground beef, but when you mix it with ground beef the turkey actually takes on the flavor.
Since this meal is so easy to change or adapt to what you have on hand, it will save you time and money. In fact, I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning!
Save that money for a family vacation or maybe just some wiggle room in the budget. Easy recipes like this keep my family happy and my grocery budget in good shape. Plus, being able to throw this together quickly and easily really helps to avoid the temptation of getting take out. Everyone is much happier with a delicious home cooked meal anyway.
Don’t Miss: Rao’s Sauce Costco Price
Video Result For Sloppy Joe Recipes Food Network
Garam Masala Sloppy Joes with Bev Weidner | Mom Wins |…
Grad-Party Eats: Mini Sloppy Joe Baked Potatoes Rosé…
Tyler Florence’s Ultimate Sloppy Joes | Tyler’s…
Sloppy Joe Tacos: Daily Dinner Day 3 | Daily Dinner…
Kardea Brown’s Country Sloppy Joes with Fried Onions…
Kate Lee Makes Lentil Sloppy Joes in Quarantine | What…
The Best Sloppy Joe Quesadillas on the Blackstone…
How to Make Rachael’s Sloppy Joe and Macaroni…
Guy Fieri Eats a Sloppy Jacques | Diners, Drive-Ins…
Bacon Beer Cheese Sloppy Joe Recipe | Episode 674
Taco Sloppy Joes Recipe Dinner time made easy
Budget Keto Low Carb Sloppy Joe Dinner Recipe
Easy Sloppy Joes Recipe
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes Recipe | Episode 626
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe Recipe, OMG I LOVE this…
Healthy Sloppy Joe Dinner Recipe | Episode 228
Sloppy Joe Sandwich Recipe
Sloppy Joe Egg Rolls Recipe | Episode 559
Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole Recipe | Episode 570
Sloppy Joe Casserole
How to make manwich/sloppy joe
Aarti Party FULL EPISODE: My House with Aarti Sequeira…
Vegan Sloppy Joe
How to Make a Sloppy Joe, Ground Beef Dinner Recipes…
How To Make Sloppy Joe Dip | Game Day Appetizer Recipe…
Spicy Sloppy Joe’s
How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes
Instant Pot Sloppy Joe Quick and easy Instant Pot meals
Super Easy Manwich Casserole
The Best Homemade Classic Sloppy Joe Recipe | With…
Sloppy Joe Recipe With Brown Sugar
Sloppy Joe Mac | Delish
Tips For The Best Sloppy Joes
Although some may not be familiar with how and why sugar is included in a Sloppy Joes recipe, its because sugar helps neutralize the acidity of all the tomato-based ingredients, including the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and ketchup.
Its akin to why many Italian cooks will add a pinch of sugar to their tomato-based sauces, like marinara or pomodoro sauces.
Therefore, I recommend definitely adding the brown sugar for classic Sloppy Joes flavor.
And if youre like me who remembers Sloppy Joes as a childhood favorite, I guarantee that those jarred and canned sauces that you probably ate, are full of sugar.
So dont be shy if you like your Sloppy Joes sauce to read a little sweeter, add another tablespoon or so of brown sugar.
Because the meat mixture keeps so well with Sloppy Joes, feel free to make a double batch and freeze half for those nights when you know youre not going to have time, or desire, to cook!
Also Check: Hot Ones Eye Of The Scorpion Scoville Units
The Best Sloppy Joe Tips And Variations
One of the best things about a meal that is messy, is you do not have to worry about how this looks, just how it tastes. And I have you covered on that one.
- Hamburger: Essentially you can use any fat ratio you would like but the leaner the meat the less grease you will have. If you use a greaser beef, drain it before adding the onions to saute. This will eliminate most of the greasy mess.
- Onions: If you do not want large chunks in your sandwiches, be sure to finely chop the onions or even grate them into your meat mixture. This will still impart flavor without leaving chunks.
- Green Peppers: If you like a bit of texture to your sloppy joes, dice half a green pepper and saute with the onion.
- Mustard: If you like a bit of depth to your mixture try squirting a long squeeze of mustard into the mixture. The acidity also balances out the sweetness and gives a nice rich flavor.
- Make-Ahead: This is one of those dishes that gets better as it simmers. Once the flavors are added and have mixed and simmered for a bit you can turn it down and cover it and leave it to simmer for an hour or two. You will need to check it to make sure it isnt losing moisture. I like to transfer the mixture to a crockpot and let it simmer and keep warm till ready to serve.
- Double it: Make extra and freeze the other half for another meal. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
What To Serve With
There are plenty of amazing sides you can serve with your classic homemade sloppy joes. You can’t go wrong with any of these delightful yet straightforward recipes
- Coleslaw, Macaroni Salad, and Potato Salad pair perfectly with sloppy joes. These creamy sides are the ultimate side dish.
- French fries, potato chips, tater tots, sweet potato fries, and baked potatoes give this homemade sloppy joe recipe something starchy.
- Garden Salad, Corn on the cob, Grilled bell peppers give some contrast to the sloppy joe sauce and look fantastic next to the overflowing hamburger buns.
Also Check: Honey Bbq Sauce Chick Fil A
Can I Freeze Sloppy Joe Meat
Yep! Make sure the cooked meat mixture is completely cooled, then add to freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
These easy Sloppy Joes, along with my Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes, and Chopped Cheeseburgers are requested all the time by my family and a testament to how much we love a loose meat sandwich. Meaty, messy, and delicious in every bite!
What Is In A Sloppy Joe
Sloppy joes are usually cooked ground beef mixed with onions, ketchup or tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and other seasonings. This recipe also includes some tomato paste for depth, a bit of brown sugar for sweetness, and mustard and a splash of vinegar for tanginess. The seasonings are a blend of chili powder and minced garlic. My family cant get enough of these.
Don’t Miss: Removing Spaghetti Sauce From Clothing
Why This Recipe Is The Best
I realize that’s saying a lot, but I have the experience to make such a bold statement. I had a food truck for a few years, and this Sloppy Joe recipe was on the menu from day one. It was by far our biggest seller, so I’m just saying all those people can’t be wrong.
This spicy, full of flavor recipe matches everything I crave about sloppy joes sweet, savory, tangy, and a bit of mess. Trust me, you won’t buy that canned Manwich sauce anymore, and why would you, given how easy this is to make. Forget about the mess you’ll love this sloppy joe recipe.
Make Ahead Sloppy Joe Filling
The filling is, in fact, even better when you make it a day or two ahead and reheat it heat the buns right before you serve. This is a good recipe to remember if you are going to have an onslaught of teenagers coming over. The filling also freezes well for up to 3 months, well sealed.
Sloppy Joes: The slightly sweet and tangy sauce, the soft buns, the glorious messiness of itwhats not to love?
Also Check: Rao Tomato Sauce Costco