What Goes In Shrimp Tacos
How to make Spicy Shrimp tacos?
Step-1: Add chili powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper powder, chopped garlic and salt to shrimp.
Step-2: Toss everything together.
Step-3: Cook in a skillet with oil, on both sides.
Step-4: Make cilantro lime sauce.
Step-5: Add shredded cabbage, carrot, cilantro, red onion and sliced jalapeños in a bowl.
Step-6: Add honey and some cilantro lime sauce. Toss well.
Step-7 & 8 : Assemble tacos Pile slaw, spicy shrimp, sauce, tomatoes, chopped cilantro and jalapeños.
Toppings for shrimp tacos :
Any tacos toppings are delicious for shrimp tacos like avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado crema, lettuce, cabbage, cilantro, jalapenos, squeeze of lime, Cotija cheese and Queso fresco.
After years of taste testing , I found that Cabbage , carrot, cilantro, jalapeños and chopped tomato made ONE delicious topping to a spicy tacos recipe.
Dont Miss: Where To Buy Raos Sauce
How To Peel And Devein Raw Shrimp
For shrimp tacos, you’ll want to completely peel and devein the shrimp. No one wants to bite into a shrimp tail!
To peel raw shrimp, first gently twist off the head then wedge your thumb inside the shell, just above the legs. Grasp the shell between your thumb and forefinger lift and turn to detach the shell down to the tail segment. For shrimp with the tail intact, hold the peeled shrimp near the tail and gently pull to release the shrimp completely.
To devein, use a sharp paring knife to cut a shallow slit down the center of the back. With the tip of the knife, gently lift the vein out and discard . Repeat with remaining shrimp.
How To Make This Shrimp Tacos Recipe
STEP ONE: Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, dried basil, and cayenne pepper. Use this mixture to thoroughly coat all the shrimp.
PRO TIP: If youre not entirely a fan of spicy food, feel free to remove the spicy elements such as the chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno, and hot sauce!
STEP TWO: In a skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Add in the shrimp, lemon juice, and soy sauce. Cook the shrimp until pink on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
PRO TIP: You will know when the shrimp is cooked when it is pink and no longer gray or translucent, and the shrimp curls slightly. Shrimp usually takes about 1 to 3 minutes to cook on either side depending on the size of the shrimp used. Dont spend more than 4 to 6 minutes cooking the shrimp or it will be overdone and rubbery.
STEP THREE: Make your spicy cilantro lime sauce.In a food processor or blender, blend together the sour cream, buttermilk, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, hot sauce, garlic powder, and salt. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: To assemble the tacos, warm the corn tortillas and then start with a layer of homemade or store-bought guacamole and spread it on the bottom center of each tortilla. Then layer it with a small bunch of green cabbage followed by the cooked shrimp. Drizzle some of the cilantro-lime sauce over each taco and then top with a squeeze of lime juice, feta cheese, and chopped cilantro.
STEP FIVE: Plate and enjoy!
Also Check: Alfredo Sauce Philadelphia Cream Cheese Recipe
Ok Now We Are Going To Make The Garlic Butter Shrimp
Slightly increase the heat to medium and add in the raw shrimp. Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until the shrimp are fully cooked.
Remove the shrimp from the heat and stir in the dried parsley. Set aside until ready to assemble the shrimp tacos.
How Do You Make Spicy Old Bay Shrimp Tacos
Wondering how to create a super satisfying and crave-worthy seafood dinner? No problem, here is how you can make these shrimp tacos at home:
- You will want to buy a pound of raw, deveined shrimp. I recommend medium-sized shrimp. Some bags of raw shrimp come with the tails already peeled, or you may see a label on the bag that statesEZ Peel. It means just that. The tails are easy to pull off yourself: either way, both bags of shrimp work. Just make sure you DO peel the tails off. You wouldnt want crunchy tails in your tacos. Yuck!
- Now, you need a bag of shredded cheddar cheese, soft taco shells, and old bay seasoning. Once the shrimp has thawed, pat dry with a paper towel. Add old bay seasoning to the shrimp, and toss it in a large pan with butter. Cook the shrimp until done when its a light pink color. Then you can assemble your tacos! You can assemble your tacos however you want. If you want to know exactly how I assembled my tacos, look at the recipe card below!
Recommended Reading: Freddys Sauce
Shrimp Taco Recipe Faqs
How do you season shrimp for tacos?
We love to use low sodium taco seasoning with garlic powder, it gives just enough spice to make the shrimp shine in the tacos! Combined with the cilantro lime coleslaw and creamy taco sauce, you will have a very flavorful seafood shrimp taco.
What can I substitute cilantro with?
Substitute cilantro with fresh parsley if you do not love cilantro. The taste definitely will be different though.
Is it better to use fresh or frozen shrimp for tacos?
You can use either for this easy shrimp taco recipe! Since you are seasoning the shrimp, it is fine to use frozen. Thaw raw shrimp overnight or place in colander in a bowl with cold water, thaws in 15-20 minutes. Pat dry the shrimps.Readers have had good luck with precooked frozen shrimp as well after thawing let sit with seasoning for 20-30 minutes then warm up in skillet .
Can you use 0% fat yogurt for shrimp taco sauce?
Readers have used 0% fat with great results, I like to use 2% as it gives it more flavor, same goes for healthy shrimp salad.
Tips For Perfect Shrimp Tacos:
- Use frozen shrimp and thawed shrimp . Most shrimp sold at the grocery store is actually previously frozen and thawed and you never know how long its been sitting there, plus you likely wont be cooking it up right away so it tastes better if you thaw yourself.
- Take the weight of the shrimp after thawing so youll have enough. You lose some water weight once thawed so youll actually need more with frozen weight.
- Use lots of spices! The spice blend here paired with the cilantro lime crema is what gives these tacos so much flavor.
- Be careful not to over-cook the shrimp. Key to any good shrimp recipe. If over-cooked they take on a bouncy rubbery texture.
- Add some textural contrast with toppings. Serving with crunchy cabbage and creamy avocado does just that.
Also Check: Cfa Bbq Sauce
How To Make Baja Shrimp Tacos At Home:
A Few Tips For Cooking Perfect Shrimp:
- When shrimp is raw the flesh is a grayish color. As it cooks, the protein turns to an opaque whitish-pink color. Shrimp cook VERY quickly about 2-3 minutes per side so dont take your eyes off of them while theyre cooking.
- The shrimp should curl up into a loose C shape when properly cooked. If they have curled up into a tight O shape, then the shrimp is probably overcooked.
- Cook the shrimp right before serving, so the shrimp dont dry out while preparing the other components of this dish.
You May Like: Are Tomatoes Bad For The Gout
How To Make It
To assemble the Baja Shrimp Tacos: Heat up the tortillas in a skillet.Spoon some of the cabbage into the center of each tortilla and top with 2 fried shrimp.Sprinkle with jalapenos, pickled red onions, cilantro and queso fresco.Drizzle with the Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Mayo.Serve tacos with lime wedges.Enjoy!
Minute Shrimp Tacos Recipe With Slaw
This 15 Minute Shrimp Tacos Recipe makes a weeknight meal or last minute entertaining a breeze. Spicy juicy shrimp topped with creamy cilantro lime slaw and wrapped in warm corn tortilla, these shrimp tacos have the best taste and texture.
You May Like: Texas Pete Chili Sauce Recipes
How To Toast Tortillas For Tacos:
- Over a Gas Stove Flame We love this method for authentic lightly charred edges. Toast the tortilla directly over a medium/low open flame on a gas stove. Use tongs to rotate the tortilla about every 5 seconds. Flip as soon as the tortilla is lightly blackened on the edges and repeat with the second side. Keep your eye on that tortilla and adjust the flame as needed because they can burn quickly.
- On a Griddle This is our favorite way to make a bunch of tortillas at once. Preheat a dry griddle to medium/high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 15-30 seconds per side until golden brown in some spots on each side.
- On a Skillet – Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 15-30 seconds on each side until golden and hot on each side.
Keep these Shrimp Tacos in mind for your next Taco Night and make a taco bar out of it.
What Ingredients Do You Need For Shrimp Tacos
- Shrimp I like to use medium shrimp here but large will work too.
- Spices youll need chipotle chili powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Its the perfect Mexican seasoning blend to compliment shrimp.
- Olive oil youll only need a little to saute the shrimp. Vegetable oil will work too.
- Toppings the best toppings here are cotija cheese, avocado and cabbage.
- Tortillas I prefer corn tortillas here but flour tortillas will work too.
Don’t Miss: Pioneer Woman Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
The Best Tortillas For Shrimp Tacos:
- Corn tortillas are best for making shrimp tacos. Either yellow or white corn tortillas will do but we love the flavor and texture of white corn tortillas best. Also, corn tortillas are naturally gluten-free which is always appreciated by those with food sensitivities.
- Flour tortillas will work if that is what you have on hand, but corn tortillas are the traditional and more authentic choice for Mexican tacos.
How Can I Control The Spice Level/heat In Cilantro
Some like it hot, and others dont. It is easy to adjust this recipe to your own personal taste preferences. For those who enjoy heat, this recipe is a good medium heat. To decrease the spice level, either reduce or omit the red pepper flakes from the cilantro-lime sauce, and reduce or omit the serrano pepper. To increase the spice level, use a spicier pepper, or double the amount of serrano and red pepper flakes.
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Walmart
How To Make Shrimp Taco Sauce
Alex came up with the idea for this tasty shrimp taco sauce: he modeled it off of our Healthy Ranch Dressing recipe. If you havent made that healthy ranch dressing, run dont walk over to that recipe and make it now! The combination of using yogurt for a healthy spin and a little bit of mayo for richness makes the ranch taste both light and satisfying at the same time. And the spices are the perfect blend to make even just crisp romaine lettuce taste AMAZING. Its honestly one of my favorite recipes that weve created, and we make it constantly.
All that to say, of course a taco sauce thats like ranch? Its bound to be an instant hit in our household: and it was! This shrimp taco sauce is just like our healthy ranch recipe, but it uses fresh cilantro instead of dill and adds cumin for a Mexican-style vibe. Pair with juicy, savory shrimp and its out of this world good! And another plus: it takes only 5 minutes to make. You dont even need to dirty a blender for this one!
Heres how to make shrimp taco sauce:
And thats it! Store it refrigerated until its ready to use. If youre wondering if this shrimp taco sauce can be made without mayo: sorry, but no! The mayo adds just the right savory richness and its only 2 tablespoons, so its a relatively low amount per serving.
How To Defrost Shrimp For Shrimp Tacos
I love shrimp because its so convenient, you dont have to chop any raw meat, and it cooks super quickly. If you keep frozen shrimp on hand, then you can make these Shrimp Tacos any night of the week! Once your shrimp is defrosted then it will cook up in minutes literally.
- There are two options for defrosting your shrimp. To quickly defrost, place the frozen shrimp in a fine-mesh sieve or colander. Place this sieve in a large bowl of cold tap water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, replace the water in the bowl with new cold tap water and resubmerge the shrimp. Let shrimp sit an additional 10- 20 minutes. At this point the shrimp should be completely defrosted.
- The easier way to defrost your shrimp if you remember in advance is to remove your frozen shrimp to a covered bowl and let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- Whatever you do, resist the urge to use warm tap water as this will cause the shrimp to defrost and cook unevenly.
Also Check: Raos Spaghetti Sauce
Shrimp Taco Sauce For Life
Honestly, this is the best sauce for shrimp tacos. It’s super flavorful and creamy with a little hint of spice. It’s a cilantro lime sauce with an extra special ingredient.
We LOVE to blend pickled jalapeños into our shrimp taco sauce. They’re not overly spicy and they have the best flavor. Without them, this recipe is good. But with them, it’s truly next level.
It’s the shrimp taco sauce recipe that we make again and again, because once you’ve tried it, there’s no going back.
What Toppings To Use For Shrimp Tacos
You can use any toppings you want for your tacos. I always use red and white cabbage. The red cabbage adds such great color to the tacos. Green onions are a must, as is cilantro and red peppers. Onion and avocado are another option. Dont forget a lime wedge to squeeze over the top.
I sometimes put pico de gallo on, but more often I use freshly sliced cherry tomatoes. They add a bit of acidity that works well with the fried shrimp.
Don’t Miss: Pete Sauce
Ingredients For Shrimp Tacos:
- Shrimp We used large 21-25 count shrimp, but the medium or even small shrimp would work well. Keep in mind smaller shrimp will cook faster.
- Red Cabbage the color and flavor is perfect for tacos, but you can sub with green cabbage or even a coleslaw blend
- Cheese Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is the traditional cheese for Mexican tacos. I found cotija at the grocery store next to the refrigerated tortillas.
- Toppings avocado, red onion, and cilantro are our go-to toppings for tacos.
Video Result For Shrimp Taco Sauce With Mayo
CHIPOTLE SHRIMP TACOS
SHRIMP TACOS | Cheesy Crispy Shrimp Tacos | TAJIN LIME…
Easy Shrimp Tacos in 15 minutes | Chili Mayo Sauce and…
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa and Sriracha…
Baja Shrimp Tacos with Homemade Baja Sauce | EASY & …
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
Cinco De Mayo Shrimp Tacos
FRIED SHRIMP TACOS with Homemade Flour Tortillas…
Old Bay Shrimp Tacos – Shrimp Tacos Cilantro Lime…
Festive Shrimp Taco with Gochujang Sauce
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos With Creamy Cilantro Sauce -…
EASY SHRIMP TACOS IN THE AIR FRYER WITH THE BEST TACO…
How to cook & prepare Mexican Baja Style Crispy Shrimp…
Best Ever Shrimp Tacos Recipe – How to make easy…
Grilled Shrimp Tacos | Tacos De Camaron
How to make Shrimp Taco || Spicy Shrimp Taco || Easy…
How To Make The BEST Shrimp Tacos with Buttery Salsa & …
Shrimp Tacos + Creamy Cilantro Avocado Sauce! Quick…
Mango, Salmon, and Shrimp Taco Recipe | Happy Cinco De…
BANG BANG SHRIMP TACOS – Easy Dynamite Shrimp Recipe
Easy Baja Shrimp Tacos Recipe
THE BEST SHRIMP TACOS RECIPE YOU WILL EVER HAVE
Stupid Easy Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
Easy SHRIMP TACOS with Best Shrimp Taco Sauce
You Gotta Try These Grilled Shrimp Tacos Once! Easy…
COCONUT SHRIMP Tacos
Easy SHRIMP TACOS with Best Shrimp Taco Sauce
Shrimp Tacos | How To Make The Best Mexican Shrimp…
EASY 15 Minute Shrimp Tacos | Better Than a Food…
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Slaw
How To Make Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos | THE BEST SHRIMP…
Don’t Miss: Removing Tomato Stains