Quick Tips For Best Results
- Use a good quality freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I suggest buying a big chunk and grate it yourself. Makes a huge difference!
- I strongly recommend using heavy cream for the best results. For a light version, you can try using whole milk or half-and-half, but know that the sauce may not turn out as thick and you may be disappointed in the taste. You can also try adding some type of thickener if you want the sauce thick with lighter ingredients. See my How to Thicken Alfredo Sauce for more tips if you run into problems.
- Some people like to warm the cream a little before adding it to the pan, but it works ok for me if adding it a bit cold or room temperature. Just be sure to whisk in slowly.
- You can add more/less garlic as well as salt/pepper to your personal preference.
What Is Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo Sauce is a rich, smooth and creamy white sauce perfect for serving with cooked pasta. Authentic Italian Alfredo sauce is typically made with Parmesan cheese, butter, some warm pasta cooking water, and salt. Over the years, its been adapted to include heavy cream I think we can thank the Americans for that one. Lol.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Faq
How should I store homemade alfredo sauce?Alfredo sauce is best served right away. It generally does not reheat well but if you have to store extra, Id suggest storing in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Can I freeze alfredo sauce?No, I would not recommend freezing alfredo sauce. It does not defrost or reheat well.
How long will alfredo sauce last?Again, homemade alfredo sauce is best if served right after making but if you have to refrigerate any leftovers it will last a few days in the fridge.
Substitutions?I dont recommend making any substitutions. Since there are only 4 ingredients please use high-quality full-fat ingredients.
Can I use low-fat ingredients?You can technically use lower-fat cheese, cream, and butter BUT your results will vary a lot and the sauce might not come together.
What else can I add to this recipe?You can change up this homemade alfredo sauce by adding some of your favorite herbs and spices. Basil, Italian parsley, rosemary, and/or oregano would be great additions. A little ranch seasoning would be fun. A little fresh lemon zest would also be a nice touch. You can also add your favorite vegetables and/or proteins. In fall, a little unsweetened pumpkin would be a nice addition.
Can I make this vegan/vegetarian/low carb/gluten-free?Here are some suggestions, but I cant guarantee results. Be sure as always to check particular brands and ingredients if youre following a specific diet or have diet restrictions or allergies.
Read Also: Hot Ones Hot Sauce Pineapple
Tips For One Pot Alfredo
There are three main steps to this recipe. CHICKEN ALFREDO SAUCE PASTA.
- The sauce I use includes wine. I love wine in this but you can leave it out all together if you wish.
- If using wine, please use a good quality dry white wine. I use a $20 bottle of Pinot Grigio in most of my recipes on this site, but a good Sav Blanc or Chardonnay will suit the favours in this creamy sauce.
- You can substitute the heavy cream with half and half or a reduced fat cooking cream to reduce the calories. You can also use evaporated milk depending on your dietary requirements.
- Using freshly grated parmesan cheese enhances the flavour and ensures the cheese melts through the sauce. Please dont use powdered parmesan.
- Remove the pot off of the stove when the pasta is just cooked al dente . The sauce begins to evaporate quickly into the hot pasta while its resting or waiting to be served.
Chicken Alfredo has never been easier!
How To Thicken The Sauce
One of the main keys to getting the perfect consistency is to make sure to simmer the sauce and whisk often. The alfredo will thicken as it cooks.
You also want to make sure you use the correct amounts of cheese and cream . If using milk instead of cream, add a couple of teaspoons of flour to help thicken it up.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Raising Cane’s Sauce
Can You Freeze It
Absolutely! First, let it cool completely before refrigerating. Once cooled, transfer it into airtight containers or closed lidded jar.
Please note, that skin will form on the surface after a while, which will thicken its consistency. This is totally normal. Simply shake or mix with a fork before consuming.
What Goes With Chicken Alfredo
Something green. You need something green to stand up to all these carbs! Salad, broccoli, asparagus, sautéed zucchini, roasted Brussels spouts, green beans, spinach salad, anything green. Or you could try carrots or cauliflower. You could even add some cooked broccoli straight into the pasta.
And fresh bread is always a good idea, like this One Hour French Bread, to mop up all that alfredo sauce!
You May Like: Classico Florentine Spinach & Cheese Pasta Sauce
Alfredo Sauce Recipe Faqs
How can I thicken alfredo sauce?
If your alfredo sauce is too thick, it needs more liquid to thin it out. Try stirring in more heavy cream, a little at a time, until it is the right consistency. Another option is to stir in a little pasta water if you are making the sauce for fettuccine alfredo.
Why is my alfredo sauce so thin?
When the sauce is too thin, keep in mind that it will thicken some as it cools. It is very thin, you can stir in additional shredded parmesan to thicken it. If you dont have more parmesan, try adding some cubed, softened cream cheese, stirring until melted. Or you can add another kind of shredded cheese but it may change the flavor.
What is the best way to reheat alfredo sauce?
A cream sauce like this tends to separate when reheated. The best way to reheat alfredo sauce is in a pot over low heat. Start by stirring it constantly and then switch to whisking vigorously until it comes together again.
Is Alfredo Sauce Keto
Yes! This is totally keto! Crazy, I know! But such good news if you are following a low carb diet this can be a great recipe to enjoy while cutting back on other favorite meals.
Even though it is keto and considered a low carb recipe, it is still full on creamy, thick and rich white sauce. It will be like dessert in your mouth! This easy to make Alfredo Sauce recipe will have you saying MMMMM and AWW, with every bite.
You May Like: How To Make Cheese Sauce
One Pot Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Alfredo
- 1lb| 500 g boneless skinless chicken thighs,
- Salt and pepper,to season
- 2tbspolive oil,divided
- 1/2cup dry white wine,
- 8oz brown mushrooms,sliced
- 2cups chicken broth,or stock
- 1 1/2cups heavy cream, divided
- Extra salt and pepper,to taste
- 8oz dry pasta,penne or fettuccini
- 1 1/2cupsfreshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley,to garnish
How To Make Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
Heat a pan over medium heat, melt your butter then add in the garlic.
Once youve warmed the garlic just until you start to smell it , You can whisk in the flour. This is the making the roux part of this easy homemade alfredo sauce.
I actually love making sauces that start with a roux. I feel like it seems so fancy but its actually so easy and makes amazing sauces!
Once youve cooked the flour/butter for about 2 minutes, you can start adding in the warmed milk , 1/2 cup at a time.
Below shows you the stages that the roux/milk will go through after each addition. Be sure to whisk until smooth after each 1/2 cup.
Once youve slowly added in all of the milk, you can add the cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir everything together and youre done!
Don’t Miss: Classico Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Pasta Sauce
How To Make Fettuccini Sauce:
Creating this master piece does take a little bit of time. We all know that it is worth it! We love making this sauce and it is a quick and easy. It can be made in minutes with these simple ingredients. Enjoy alfredo sauce right when you need it!
- Whisk dairy ingredients together: In a medium saucepan add butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese. Cook over medium heat and whisk until melted.
- Add and whisk seasonings: Add the minced garlic, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Continue to whisk until smooth.
- Stir in cheese: Add the grated parmesan cheese.
- Thicken your sauce: Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Toss with pasta: Toss it with your favorite pasta!
How To Make Homemade & Easy Alfredo Sauce
The traditional/classic way requires some simple ingredients and only a few steps. Also, please watch the quick video attached.
Don’t Miss: Low Carb Sugar Free Bbq Sauce
What Is The Difference Between Alfredo And Carbonara Sauce
Both sauces are to die for but there is a slight difference in the two. Alfredo is a white sauce made with butter, parsley, heavy cream, and garlic. Carbonara, on the other hand, is made with pecorino romano, eggs, black pepper, and guanciale.
Guanciale is an Italian cured meat from a pig. You can substitute Pancetta for it. Alfredo sauce is usually combined with shrimp or chicken.
Homemade Chicken Alfredo Recipe
This sauce is so creamy! Did I say this is creamy?! This pasta dish is made with heavy cream, just like the Italians do it. You will see lots of alfredo recipes that are made with cream cheese, but honestly, heavy cream is where its at!
Using heavy cream makes this recipe so much richer in flavor and it adds a wonderfully silkiness to the dish.
Recommended Reading: Good Pizza Sauce To Buy
Ditch The Alfredo Sauce Jar
I know the jar is tempting but Alfredo sauce is SO EASY to make from scratch and so much better for you.
- The only ingredients you need for homemade Alfredo are milk, a touch of butter, flour, chicken broth, garlic, and Parmesan cheese, plus any other spices you care to toss in.
- The spices I like best in Alfredo are onion powder, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for heat.
Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
This easy homemade alfredo sauce is the only recipe for alfredo youll ever need! Its so creamy, doesnt separate, and is easy to pull together! You can also pair it with SO many different veggies or meats!
This alfredo sauce starts with a roux and Ill explain why I go choose to use a roux in my recipe. It might not be traditional but its there for a reason.
Don’t Miss: What Takes Tomato Sauce Out Of Clothes
Easy Alfredo Sauce Recipe
This outstanding Alfredo Sauce recipe is easy to make with only five basic ingredients. Once you make it from scratch, youll be hooked!
Of all the ways to coat pasta in the world, alfredo sauce is my familys favorite! Its the first sauce I taught my son how to make back when he was in middle school. So if a kid can make it, can you too.
What Can You Use Alfredo Sauce For
When once thinks of Alfredo sauce, the first thing that comes to mind is some kind of pasta and you are right. However, dont limit the creamy sauce just to the pasta, enjoy Alfredo with these other recipes:
How long can the sauce stay fresh?
Once cooled, keep the sauce in a jar refrigerated up to 3 days.
How to make a healthy Alfredo sauce?
For a healthier option, leave out the heavy whipping cream and substitute for milk instead.
Can I use half and half?
You can substitute the milk and heavy whipping cream with half and half for a lighter sauce that isnt so rich.
Can I freeze Alfredo Sauce?
I would not recommend freezing the sauce!
How to reheat the sauce?
When reheating the sauce, do so over low heat. You may need to add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
The secret to the BEST sauce?
You want to make sure to keep the sauce cooking over low/medium heat. If you cook it over high heat, the sauce will separate and you can scorch the bottom.
Once you try this homemade version of the Classic Alfredo Sauce, it will be on repeat in your home!
Read Also: Can You Eat Bbq Sauce On Keto
Creamy Pasta Recipes To Try Next:
If you make this recipe, Id love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
This is definitely a feel good chicken fettuccini alfredo. Its so creamy and satisfying, but light! Since it isnt heavy-cream based, it fills you up without the guilt I cant even count how many times my Mom made this growing up. I hope this becomes a go-to pasta recipe for you as well!
Do you have a favorite food that you loved growing up and now make as an adult? I want to hear all about it in a comment below!
How To Make Classic Chicken Alfredo Pasta: The Easiest Simplest Method
Chicken Alfredo pasta was my favorite fancy restaurant order as a kid luxe sauce clinging to fettuccine topped with crispy chicken. It was about as close to macaroni and cheese and chicken fingers as a 6-year-old could get at any good Italian-American restaurant. Perhaps this is why most takeout Alfredo falls short for me its too entwined in my own culinary memories. Or it could just be that the rich sauce gets too cold and clumpy while waiting for delivery.
Hellbent on enjoying my childhood favorite from the comfort of my own couch, I set out to recreate the Alfredo of my memory . Weve eschewed the authentic no cream Alfredo for a reliable take on this classic thats just as creamy, garlic-rich, and fun to slurp up as you remember.
Equipment You May Need
- Medium Sauce Pan I used a medium saucepan but you can use a large skillet if youd like so you can add other ingredients like pasta, chicken, etc.
- Whisk A good quality whisk will really come in handy for this sauce.
- Rotary Cheese Grater I like to use a rotary cheese grater but you could also use a handheld grater, box grater, or even a food processor.
- Garlic Press You can mince the garlic with a knife or a garlic press is a great idea.
Only 4 easy ingredients in this easy homemade Italian sauce! PLEASE dont substitute the 4 main ingredients or you could have very different results.
Want More Sauce Recipes Try These Next:
This easy homemade Cheese Sauce recipe is smooth and creamy. Use as a dip for croutons and chips or pour over veggies and pasta!
This Stir Fry Sauce recipe can be used for vegetables, chicken, beef, shrimp, and pork. It is super easy to make and totally adaptable. Store in the fridge or freezer for later!
Rich, luscious Chocolate Sauce recipe from scratch thats perfect for ice cream sundaes, cheesecakes, cakes, chocolate milk and hot chocolate.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce is easy to make and is perfect for everything from chicken to fish and veggies to rice.
Also Check: Can I Have Cocktail Sauce On Keto
Your Chicken Alfredo Game Plan
Youll have two pans going at one time a four-quart pot for cooking the fettuccine and a large skillet for cooking the chicken breasts and building the sauce.
- Boil the pasta in a large pot of salted water. Get this going before you start cooking the chicken and you can add the dried pasta right around the same time you start cooking the chicken breast. Save a cup of the pasta water to thin the sauce if needed.
- Cook the chicken breasts in a combination of oil and butter for golden crispness. This is our favorite golden, crispy chicken technique. You can read more about it here. You can cover the chicken breasts with foil while you finish the sauce to keep them warm.
- Pasta is ready, chicken is ready, make your sauce. Once your pasta is cooked and drained, and your chicken is cooked and sliced, the actual Alfredo sauce takes just a few minutes to make in the same skillet you cooked the chicken in.
- Toss it all in the sauce skillet. When the sauce is nice and thick, add the pasta and a splash of pasta water and toss to coat. You can add the chicken here as well, if desired. Serve immediately.
Pro Tips For Making Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce:
- Olive Gardens Alfredo Sauce recipe is made with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses, however you can also incorporate Mozzarella, Gruyere, Gouda, or Asiago. You can also just use Parmesan.
- You can use half and half instead of half heavy cream/half milk.
- If you only have evaporated milk, just use half the amount of milk and replace the other half with water. You wont compromise flavor or consistency by doing this in creamy sauces like this one.
- You can even experiment with different pastas. I like fettuccine because the noodles soak up that thick sauce well, and Tortellini Alfredo with Broccoli is delicious as well!
Don’t Miss: Saffron Road Lemongrass Basil Simmer Sauce