What Ingredients You Need
- Plain Greek Yogurt The creamy base with a marvelous tangy flavor.
- English CucumberThis adds a bit of texture to your gyro sauce.
- Lemon Use both the zest and the juice for a bright fresh flavor.
- Olive Oil To add depth of flavor, and a silky quality.
- Dill A bold herby note.
- GarlicAdd a little or a lot: You can always add more if you like extra garlicky flavor.
- Salt & Pepper Add to taste.
Variations For Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip
Using Greek yogurt and walnuts as your base, you can change up this yogurt dip to use what you have on hand:
- Use different herbs. In this recipe, I used parsley and dry mint, but basil, dill, or oregano would also work.
- If you dont have spinach, you can try another dark leafy green . You can follow the same method for blanching the greens.
It Is Also Served With Meats Or With Pita Bread Accompanying A Beef Lamb Fish Or Chicken Sandwich
If you would like to strain the yogurt to make a thicker tzatziki , add 2 cups plain greek yogurt to a large rectangle of cheesecloth. It is used in greek dishes such as gyros or greek salads as a dressing as opposed to other condiments. Tzatziki is a mediterranean or greek sauce or dip that is traditionally made with strained yogurt and cucumbers.
Read Also: How To Make Italian Sauce
Best Tips For Making Tzatziki Sauce
Here are the most important tips and tricks I picked up in class:
Make sure your grated cucumber is well-drained. If you have time, you can drain it in cheesecloth or a fine mesh sieve overnight. I prefer the sieve as you can use it over and over. If you need one of these, snag it on Amazon from one of the two links below:
If youre in a rush, you can use your hands to squeeze the liquid out of the cucumber.
The longer the garlic rests in the yogurt, the less sharp bite it will have and the better it will taste.
For best results, combine all of the ingredients except for the cucumber and dill, then let it rest overnight in the fridge while your cucumber is draining.
Add the dill at the last minute so it doesnt overwhelm the rest of the flavors.
Also, if you are looking for a vegan tzatziki sauce or a dairy free tzatziki sauce recipe, then just use coconut milk yogurt instead of Greek yogurt.
Do You Peel Cucumber To Make Tzatziki
Short answer: you dont have to! To make the Worlds Best Tzatziki recipe youll need a cup of cucumber . If yours has seeds, get those outa there before anything. I like to leave the peel on for more nutrients and fiber !
Sprinkle with a touch of salt then lay the cucumber out flat on a few layers of paper towels and let sit while you prepare the other ingredients. The salt helps to draw out moisture from the cucumber!
Recommended Reading: Robert Rothschild Roasted Pineapple And Habanero Sauce 40 Oz Costco
Read Also: World’s Best Pizza Sauce
Ingredients: What Youll Need To Make This Easy Feta Dip
- A block of feta cheese use an 8-ounce block of feta in the brine, if possible. As mentioned earlier, I dont recommend using pre-crumbled feta.
- Cream cheese Take the cream cheese out of the fridge about 30 to 45 minutes before putting together the dip. This will give it some time to soften and will make it easier to work with. You can also use store-bought or homemade labneh.
- Extra virgin olive oil I love our Early Harvest EVOO in this feta dip. With its rich, pungent flavor, it complements the other bold components of this recipe.
- Honey One teaspoon of honey is used for subtle sweetness to balance the tangy feta and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Persian or English cucumber A bit of chopped cucumber adds crunch and body.
- Jalapeno You need just 1 chopped jalapeno , but if youd rather not have any spice, you can leave it out!
- Sun-dried tomato bits Chopped sun-dried tomatoes brighten this cheese dip with a bit of sweetness and delicious tang!
- Fresh basil Peppery basil brings in some bright color and subtle hints of anise and mint.
- Chives Chopped chives have a very mild oniony taste without being too sharp or overwhelming.
Cook Or Reduce The Sauce
If your sauce is too thin, it will not stick well to chicken wings. Another way to ensure your sauce sticks to chicken wings is to cook it before adding it to the wings. This will help to thicken the sauce and make it more likely to adhere to the surface of the chicken. Simply simmer the sauce on the stovetop until it has reduced thickened slightly, then brush it onto the wings.
You May Like: Organic Caramel Sauce For Coffee
How To Prep Greek Chicken Kebabs
Whether its for your weekend meal prep or youre trying to get a head start on dinner preparation heres what I recommend for both scenarios.
- Weekend meal prep: follow the recipe as written. After grilling kebabs, remove the chicken and veggies from the skewers and store in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store the Tzatziki Sauce in a mason jar or container for up to 3 days. To serve, see best way to enjoy leftovers below.
- Dinner prep: the day before, prep the veggies, cube the chicken, make the marinade, and make the Tzatziki Sauce. The chicken can marinate up to 24 hours. Store the veggies in a container in the fridge and the Tzatziki sauce in a mason jar or container with a lid in the fridge until ready to assemble/serve.
You NEED to learn how to make tzatziki sauce. Yes, its that important. And good news for you, my Greek tzatziki sauce recipe is beyond easy and can be used in so many different ways. Youll want to dip, slather, and top just about everything with this easy tzatziki sauce. Seriously, its so delicious and so, so versatile.
So, are you in? Are you ready to make your own homemade tzatziki sauce?
YES! Im so glad youre still here and ready to make tzatziki sauce yourself. Ill walk you through all of the steps below.
Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
Once you learn how to make this authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe, then youll have the perfect topping for any and ALL Mediterranean dishes. Simply combine Greek yogurt, shredded cucumber, fresh dill, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor for quick and easy flavor. Enjoy this homemade sauce on a gyro, kabob, or falafel.
Light, refreshing, creamy, and loaded with fresh dill flavor.
This homemade tzatziki sauce recipe is going to put any restaurant or store bought version to shame.
Dont believe me?
Recently both a popular store-bought brand and my homemade version were in the fridge at the same time.
They obviously had to be compared side by side, and hands down this homemade tzatziki sauce recipe was the best!!
Its made with finely shredded cucumbers, Greek yogurt, and just the right amount of minced garlic cloves and fresh dill.
Pop all of the ingredients into your food processor and its ready to enjoy in less than 15 minutes.
You May Like: How To Make Hot Wing Sauce
How To Make Tzatziki
Tzatziki! Tsaht-ZEE-kee! Otherwise known as that yogurt and cucumber sauce you love at Greek restaurants but worry about mispronouncing .
Tzatziki is made simply with yogurt, drained cucumber, olive oil, fresh herbs , garlic, lemon juice and salt. Its a refreshing chilled sauce, dip or spread.
I traveled to Greece last fall and ordered tzatziki at every restaurant. Im serious. I enjoyed tzatziki with every single meal, even breakfast. This recipe tastes just like authentic tzatziki.
I tend to associate tzatziki with Greek food, but youll find it served across the Mediterranean and Middle East, sometimes under different names or in slightly different forms.
Tzatziki is often served with grilled meats and gyros, but I cant think of a grilled or roasted vegetable it wouldnt play nicely with. You can also serve up some tzatziki with your next appetizer spread. Lets make some already!
The Trick For The Best Tzatziki Sauce
Greek yogurt is thick and creamy. You can make your own Greek yogurt by lining a colander with a clean towel and pouring plain yogurt in it. Set the colander over a bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Discard the whey that drips to the bottom and you will be left with thick Greek yogurt.
My mom makes tzatziki with a combination of Greek yogurt and sour cream. The sour cream adds an extra level of richness. Its really delicious this way, but if you dont like it with the sour cream, you can just use all Greek yogurt.
Don’t Miss: Buy Chick Fil A Sauce In Bulk
How To Make The Sauce Stick To Wings
If youre anything like me, you love getting your hands on some delicious chicken wings. But whats not so enjoyable is when the sauce slips right off the wings and onto your plate. In this blog post, I will share tips on making the sauce stick to your chicken wings like glue! Try them out and see for yourself how much better they turn out. Youll be glad you did!
So, how to make the sauce stick to wings?Heres a quick answer. In addition to sealing the juices, a light coating of flour or cornstarch aids in absorbing the sauce and prevents it from sliding off. Nonetheless, your sauce wont stick to the flour without first getting the flour to stick to the chicken. You should apply a thin coating of flour to the chicken while its still wet once the flour dries, it will form a nice, sticky surface that will hold the sauce in place.
The key is to create a sticky base for the flour to adhere to. You can do this by marinating the chicken wings in a mixture of buttermilk and some hot sauce for at least 60 minutes or, ideally, overnight. This will give the wings a nice flavor and make them extra tender.
Once the chicken wings have been marinated, dredge the chicken wings in the flour mixture. If there is any excess flour on the chicken wings, shake it off before frying or baking them. The sauce will have difficulty sticking to the wings if theres too much flour.
Ingredients For The Greek Chicken Kebabs
For the marinade & skewers:
- Red pepper flakes for just a tiny bit of kick.
- Chicken breasts boneless, skinless is what we use. You could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Vegetables a mix of zucchini, sweet bell pepper , and red onion.
- Skewersmetal skewers or wooden skewers soaked in water for 30-minutes before assembling kebabs.
For the tzatziki sauce:
- English cucumber grated and squeezed to remove water. Not all of the water needs to be removed, just a little bit so that the cucumber isnt extremely watery. Check out this grater.
- Plain Greek yogurt any plain greek yogurt will work . For a dairy-free or Whole30 Tzatziki, try our Paleo Tzatziki Sauce.
- Lemon juice we like to use fresh lemon juice. Check out this manual juicer here.
For 10% off of all Primal Kitchen products use code: REALFOODRDS
Recommended Reading: Fontana White Chocolate Sauce Ingredients
What Pan Should I Use
You will need two different pans for this recipe :FOR THE CHICKEN-Use: a well seasoned cast iron skillet so it can get smoking hot to char the chicken. You may also use a grill pan. -Dont use: a nonstick skillet or it will ruin the finish. FOR THE SAUCE-Use: a nonreactive, large braiser like enameled cast iron , or a large Dutch oven. Enameled cast iron stays chemically stable even when cooking acidic foods, like this tomato-based sauce. -Dont use: reactive cookware like aluminum, cast iron or nonstick pans.
How To Make Spinach Dip With Greek Yogurt
This quick and nutritious spinach dip recipe literally takes two simple steps:
- Blanch the spinachDrop the spinach in a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds, then quickly transfer them to a bowl of iced water for a couple of minutes to stop cooking .
- Mix the spinach with the Greek yogurt, walnuts and seasoningDrain the spinach very well and wring out all the liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the spinach with Greek yogurt, chopped walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, fresh parsley, dried mint and a good pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix everything until well combined.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Asian Zing Sauce
For The Chicken Marinade
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are the best choice for the juiciest, most flavorful chicken that melts in your mouth. Chicken thighs are dark meat and therefore able to be charred at high heat while still remaining incredibly juicy.
- Plain yogurt: The calcium and lactic acid work together to break down the protein in the chicken, leaving it super tender. It also creates a thick coating which insulates the chicken from drying out while searing. Plain yogurt or full fat Greek yogurt will work.
- Lemon juice: You may use fresh or bottled. The citrus helps tenderize the chicken by breaking down lean muscle fibers and helps cut through the earthy seasonings.
- Aromatics: Garlic and ginger add crucial pungent flavoring to the chicken. Fresh is best but you may use 1 teaspoon each garlic powder and ground ginger in a bind.
CAN I Use Chicken Breasts?
Please do NOT use chicken breasts. The high temperature required to char the chicken will overcook it and cause it to dry out.
What Else Can You Serve Tzatziki Sauce With
Here is a list of some other amazing dishes that go perfect with Tzatziki.
This easy tzatziki sauce recipe is perfect for Mediterranean food lovers. Its simple to make, and you can enjoy it as a quick snack, lunch, or dinner. All you need is yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill and lemon. If you want to spice things up a bit, feel free to add in some chili flakes or fresh herbs like parsley or mint. Give this sauce a try next time you need a quick and delicious meal!
Bottom line, we all need a kick ass Homemade Tzatziki recipe that we can use 365 days a year. And Ive got just the one for you.
Read Also: Remove Soy Sauce Stains From Clothing
Tzatziki Nutrition & Yogurt Notes
Nutritionally speaking, tzatziki is a creamy but light sauce. You can dollop it generously on your food without adding a lot of calories . Its made mostly with Greek yogurt and cucumber, after all.
I havent found a noticeable difference in texture whether I use whole-milk yogurt, low-fat or non-fat, so any of those will work. Traditional Greek tzatziki is made with strained goat or sheeps yogurt, but its hard to find those here. The Greek yogurt sold here in the U.S. is strained yogurt , so I use that.
As always, please let me know how you like this recipe in the comments! Im excited to hear how it turns out for you and how you serve it.
How Long Does Homemade Tzatziki Last
Homemade tzatziki sauce will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Because it includes fresh vegetables , they begin to lose a lot of moisture and make the Greek tzatziki sauce runny.
This easy tzatziki sauce recipe makes 1 1/2 cups, so you can always cut it in half if you wont eat it within a few daysbut I dont think that will be a problem!
Recommended Reading: Daves Ultimate Insanity Sauce
You May Like: Is Cranberry Sauce Good For Diabetics
Easy Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
This easy tzatziki sauce requires just 7 ingredients:
- Full-fat Greek yogurt Make sure you grab plain yogurt! If you cant find full-fat, plain Greek yogurt, buy the highest fat content you can find. Using the full-fat gives the dip more flavor and gives it an even creamier taste.
- Extra virgin olive oil Were using extra virgin here so that the olive oil doesnt overpower the bright flavors of the easy tzatziki sauce.
- Lemon juice Tzatziki dip shines with a hit of acid and thats just what the lemon does here.
- Fresh dill The classic Greek tzatziki sauce flavors. Dont skip it!
- Fresh parsley The addition of parsley helps to add a bright, herby flavor.
- Garlic Not that we need a reason to add garlic to anything, but here it adds a pungent, savory flavor.
- Sea Salt Add sea salt to taste until the homemade tzatziki sauce is just right.
- Cucumber Adds vegetables, and cool, green cucumber flavor.
What Do You Eat With Tzatziki
Creamy cucumber tzatziki is one of the most versatile dips you can make! At the very least, serve it with some carrots, bell peppers, and other fresh veggies of your choice, but you can use it in many more ways with everything from the obvious gyros to pan-seared salmon, lamb rack, all sorts of kebabs including vegetable skewers, or even to top your baked potato! I love adding it to dinner bowls with keftedes and a salad!
Don’t Miss: Walden Farms Honey Bbq Sauce