My Wife Made These For Our Dinner Group And They Asked To Take The Leftovers Home That Never Happened Before Great Recipe ~ Toc
Even better, they have a homemade sauceno canned soups here! Not that I have anything against canned soup, but when its this easy to cook without it, why bother?
I do resort to my good friend, the supermarket rotisserie chicken though. Its such a time saver in recipes like this!
You could certainly cook and shred your own chicken though. Although honestly, I prefer the flavor of a store-bought chicken, so thats one shortcut I always take.
This is one of those recipes I use on busy days, because I can make it ahead of time and then pop it in the oven at dinner time. In fact, I actually think these enchiladas taste a little better when I prepare them in advance.
Can This Be Made Ahead
Yes. If you are making this up to one day ahead, fill and roll up the enchiladas and put them in the baking dish. Cover the dish and store it in the refrigerator. Make the sour cream sauce and store it in a separate sealed container in the refrigerator. When you are ready to make it, uncover the baking dish and let it come to room temperature as the oven preheats. Spoon the sauce over the enchiladas and spread it out evenly. Then, cover with cheese and bake. It may take an extra 5-10 minutes to heat through.
If making this 2-3 days ahead of time, dont roll up the enchiladas or the tortillas may get soggy. You can prepare the filling and the sour cream sauce. But, wait to roll up the enchiladas until you are ready to bake them.
White Chicken Enchiladas With Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce Chicken Green Chilies And Cheese Rolled In Floured Tortillas And Smothered In A Creamy Homemade Sauce
My whole family gets excited when these White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce are on the menu! This is probably one of our all-time favorite enchilada recipes.
I love that these enchiladas are so quick and easy to put together, especially with leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Read Also: Are Tomatoes Okay For Gout
Homemade Chicken Enchiladas With Sour Cream White Sauce
These Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream White Sauce are filled with a creamy sauce, tender chicken, and lots of cheese. Your family will fall in love with this recipe!
Chicken enchiladas are supposed to have red sauce arent they?
Not if you went to Sunday dinner at my Grandma Rasmussens!
I have fond memories of eating these delicious chicken enchiladas with sour cream white sauce with my cousins during Sunday dinners at my Grandmas house.
They were basically the only enchiladas I knew growing up .
I always thought they were difficult to make because I would see my Grandma boiling an entire chicken and warming the tortillas in the oven.
However, once I actually made the recipe I discovered how easy it is and how short the ingredient list is!
Variations And Substitutions For The Best White Chicken Enchiladas:
- Chicken: For the shredded chicken, you can boil an entire chicken in a pot or use your Instant Pot, bake it in the oven, or even use Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Cream Sauce: The tartness in the sour cream gives the creamy sauce the perfect balance of flavor. If you are looking for a substitute, you can use Greek yogurt for a similar flavor.
- Red enchilada sauce: You can easily change up the sauce the next time you make these enchiladas by using 1/2 red sauce and 1/2 of the creamy white sauce. The combination of the two sauces is really tasty.
- Cheeses: You can use any of your favorite melting cheeses. Cheddar, pepper jack cheese or a Mexican blend all work great.
- Seasonings: Green chilis provides most of the flavor in this recipe, but if you want a spicier or more robust flavor, feel free to add a little cumin, garlic powder or chili powder to taste. You can even use a packet of taco seasoning for a short cut.
Recommended Reading: Mumbo Sauce Amazon
How To Serve These Easy Chicken Enchiladas
They are absolutely amazing the way they are, but you can serve them topped with a little bit of sour cream, Homemade Guacamole or some pico de gallo.
If you are feeding a crowd, you may want to serve these creamy chicken enchiladas with a savory side dish of black beans, refried beans, Mexican rice or a few tortilla chips.
Simple Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce
Angela / /
My family loves Mexican food, so in addition to our fairly regular taco night I often whip up a batch of these simple Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce.
We also enjoy the more traditional chicken enchiladas with red sauce, but lately this cheesy sour cream version has been our favorite. I dont recall where I first found this recipe. Its simple enough that after you make it once or twice you wont need the recipe, and trust me when I say youll be making this more than once.
Also Check: Chick Fil A Sauce Copycat Walmart
The Chicken In Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce
Most of the time I use rotisserie chicken but one day my local grocery store was out of rotisserie chicken so I bought a whole chicken and roasted it at home.
You can use either one.
If using a whole chicken, sprinkle with chicken seasoning and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and then shred. .
But I have to tell you I prefer easy and the rotisserie chicken is the way to go. There is no shame in doing easy
Chicken Enchiladas Creamy White Sauce
This is too good!!! LOVE this!! Does not use Red or Green enchilada sauce but is quite a winner!!! If my kids know Im making this I have to make 2 pans and they invite friends for dinner
Provided by kzbhansen
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast|
|1 can cream of chicken soup|
|8 ounces sour cream|
|1 green chilies, mild|
|8 -10 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded|
- Dice chicken and brown in a large skillet, remove from heat.
- Add soup, sour cream, yogurt, and chilis and stir til well combined.
- Place about 1/4 Cup of the chicken mixture into tortilla and roll up.
- Place evenly into a 9X13 pan.
- Spread the remaining chicken mixture over the top of the rolled tortillas in the pan making sure to completely cover the top of them.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with shredded cheese and put back into the oven to bake for 10 minutes more or until the cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 597.9, Fat 39.2, SaturatedFat 22.6, Cholesterol 165.7, Sodium 986.8, Carbohydrate 14.3, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 5.1, Protein 46.7
Read Also: Texas Pete Wing Sauce Recipe
Why We Love This Recipe:
- Mild flavor: Preparing a meal the whole family can enjoy is always a bonus. The flavors in this recipe arent too spicy making it a great recipe for the kiddos. Even your picky eaters will be asking for seconds!
- Easy recipe: This recipe calls for basic ingredients and is ready for the oven in only 10 minutes!
- Homemade white sauce: The best part of this recipe is the decadent homemade white sauce you pour over the top of the enchiladas. It gives them a delicious authentic flavor that you just cant get from any store-bought sauce.
How To Make These Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
Be sure to scroll to the bottom for the full recipe
In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, enchilada sauce, cheese, green chiles and onion. Then fill each tortilla, roll them up and place in a baking tray.
Make the cheese sauce in a pan by melting butter and whisking in flour. Then pour in the chicken broth, whisk to combine and allow to simmer. Stir in the sour cream, and when bubbling, stir in the cheese and stir until melted.
Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and bake for 25-30 mins.
Garnish and enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Remove Bbq Sauce Stain
Corn Vs Flour Tortillas Enchiladas
I think this comes down to a personal preference. I personally like flour tortillas, however if youre looking for a bit healthier meal, then I suggest going with corn tortillas because flour tortillas may contain refined flours and lard.
The texture of the enchiladas can also differ based on which tortillas you use. Flour tortillas can made the enchiladas have a more doughy texture, which doesnt bother me. So use whatever you prefer.
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
If you love enchiladas, youll love these Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas! Tex Mex at its finest with shredded chicken and tortillas smothered in a creamy white sauce!
For years, my go to enchilada recipes have been my Easy Beef Enchiladas and Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. I make a few other variations as well, but these two always remain our fav!
Last week, I had planned on making my Sour Cream Enchiladas, but when I went to grab the sour cream, I realized I didnt have enough.
Since I was having a lazy day, I didnt feel like going to the grocery store just for sour cream, so I improvised.
You May Like: The Last Dab Hot Sauce Scoville
Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce Recipe Ingredients
This creamy chicken enchiladas recipe ticks all the boxes.
Kid-Friendly Mexican Inspired Super Easy Recipe
The key to this recipe is to make sure the chicken is pre-cooked before starting the recipe.
Ingredients you need to make the best chicken enchiladas with white sauce:
- 2 cups shredded cheese
Can Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Be Frozen
Yes. But, as with many things that are frozen, the texture wont be quite as good as when it is fresh. The tortillas will be softer.
Assemble the entire dish. Let the sauce cool completely. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Store in the freezer for up to three months.
Transfer the dish to the refrigerator the day before you plan to make it. Uncover the baking dish and let it come to room temperature as the oven preheats. Bake it. It may take an extra 5-10 minutes to heat through.
Don’t Miss: What Is Mcdonalds Secret Sauce
What To Serve With White Chicken Enchiladas
When serving Tex-Mex enchiladas you cant go wrong with chips and dip. Whether you choose a restaurant style salsa, a classic queso, or a Mexican street corn dip, its all about those tortilla chips. And the perfect side dish has to be the classic Mexican Rice served with either refried or black beans.
Make This Recipe In Advance
Make ahead: If youd like to make these ahead of time, prepare them to the point of baking and then freeze or store in the fridge, so you can bake when youre ready to serve.
Storing: You can store leftover White Chicken Enchiladas in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or individually in the microwave.
Freeze: Freeze them by filling the baking dish with the enchiladas along with the white sauce on top, but dont bake them. Instead, wrap the entire baking dish with plastic wrap, then with foil, and place them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge.
Don’t Miss: Ree Drummond Marinara Sauce
Best Side Dishes To Serve With White Chicken Enchiladas
You dont need too many extra side dishes because chicken enchiladas are super filling! But sometimes we just crave a full meal.
More side dish ideas for your Mexican fiesta at the dinner table:
Our heartfelt thanks for visiting our recipe blog! We hope you and your family enjoy this savory recipe. Was there anything you did differently or added? Let us know what you guys think of the white chicken enchiladas recipe in the comments.
We are also open to your changes and feedback for this recipe on this blog.
How To Cook Tortillas
There are a couple of ways to reheat the tortillas. Place the tortillas in foil and reheat in the oven until just warm. In a kitchen towel in the microwave or simply on a skillet until browned.
Some folks do differently, some reheat tortillas in a dry pan and some like to add a little bit of oil just enough for the tortillas to crisp up but still remain foldable
You May Like: Is Tomato Sauce Bad For Gout
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce
A perfect blend of creamy chicken, cheese, and a little spice make this a comfort food with zest!
Provided by SKBrown617
|1 small red bell pepper, diced|
|2 cans chicken breast chunks, drained|
|1 package taco seasoning|
|1 can condensed cream of chicken soup|
|1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles|
|½ cup plain Greek yogurt|
|¼ cup milk|
|¼ cup green hot pepper sauce|
|1 tablespoon lime juice|
|10 flour tortillas|
|1 cup Cheddar cheese|
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper cook and stir until onion has browned, about 5 minutes. Add drained chicken breast and flake it apart with a fork. Stir in taco seasoning and cook until until vegetables have softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix condensed soup, diced tomatoes, Greek yogurt, milk, hot pepper sauce, lime juice, oregano, chili powder, and cumin together in a saucepan bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F .
- Wrap chicken mixture in tortillas and arrange in a 9×13-inch baking pan. Pour sauce on top and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 322.4 calories, Carbohydrate 21.5 g, Cholesterol 60.4 mg, Fat 15.7 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 22.3 g, SaturatedFat 5.7 g, Sodium 1205.9 mg, Sugar 2.7 g
How Do You Make White Chicken Enchiladas
You May Like: Chick Fil A Sauce Uses
Easy White Chicken Enchiladas Make Ahead Tips
If you meal prep at the beginning of the week, these can easily be prepared several days in advance. Store the stuffed and rolled enchiladas in a covered baking dish. Keep the white sauce separate until you plan to cook the enchiladas. This will cut down on soggy tortillas.
If youre making the sauce in advance, it may get a bit too thick when its cooled and reheated. This is easy to fix. Add whole milk or chicken stock, one tablespoon at a time, during reheating to achieve your desired thickness. Be sure to stir or whisk thoroughly to maintain the creaminess of the sauce.
Tips For Making Enchiladas Rojas:
- Traditional Enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. Corn Tortillas need to be heated up before they are rolled or else they will tear. You can warm them up in the microwave or you can gently heat them in a pan on the stovetop with a little oil in the pan. Or, place some enchilada sauce in a pan over medium heat and dip the corn tortilla in the enchilada sauce to soften it up and then fill with chicken mixture.
- This is a great recipe for leftover chicken or turkey. You can also purchase a cooked rotisserie chicken and cut and shred the chicken. This adds a lot of flavor to the recipe.
- This enchilada recipe is also amazing with my CROCK POT MEXICAN SHREDDED BEEF RECIPE. Give it a try – it is outstanding!
- Your favorite store bought red enchilada sauce can be used but I think you will love this version homemade enchilada sauce.
- A Mexican blend of cheeses can be used in place of the cheddar cheese.
- If cilantro isn’t your thing, just leave it out.
Also Check: Ragu Chicken Alfredo Recipe