Vegetable Lasagna With White Sauce
This vegetable lasagna is so incredibly delicious!
The white cheese sauce has tons of flavor from the parmesan cheese. Its thick and creamy and holds everything together.
The vegetables are perfectly cooked. I love tasting the combination of broccoli, spinach, zucchini, and corn in every bite.
That final layer of the crisp melted cheese tops everything off perfectly. Youll never want to buy a frozen vegetarian lasagna again after eating this one!
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Vegetarian lasagna made with cheese provides an excellent source of protein and calcium.
- tip 2 Lasagna or casseroles prepared with dry, uncooked pasta have a slightly drier texture than those made with cooked pasta.
- tip 3 Prepare the lasagna up to 24 hours in advance. Cover with foil as directed and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake lasagna as directed in recipe.
- tip 4
Veggie Lasagna Recipe Variations
One of the things I absolutely love about this veggie lasgana recipe is that it is so easy to adapt to what we have in the house .
You will need 4 to 5 cups of chopped vegetables to make this meatless lasagna. Here are some suggestions for vegetables you can use:
- Zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, chopped
- Mushrooms, chopped or torn into small pieces
- Spinach, kale or other greens
- Winter squash like butternut or delicata squash would be excellent for a fall-inspired lasagna. Id peel and cube them.
- Carrots, chopped or shredded
- Bell peppers, fresh or roasted
- Eggplant thats been cut into cubes
For a gluten-free vegetable lasagna, use gluten-free noodles or use vegetables to make the noodle layer. Layer long, thin slices of eggplant or zucchini in place of the noodles. I prefer to partially cook the slices by roasting or grilling first so they dont add too much moisture to the lasagna.
For a dairy-free vegetable lasagna, swap the ricotta cheese and egg for almond ricotta. You can make it yourself or buy it . I also like swapping the cheese called for in the recipe for a generous sprinkling of nutritional yeast.
For a creamy vegetable lasagna, use our creamy chicken lasagna recipe, but swap the chicken sausage for sautéed vegetables.
Read Also: How To Get Pizza Sauce Out Of White Shirt
Easy Vegetable Lasagna With Alfredo Sauce
By Author Angela G.Posted on Last updated: April 11, 2022
This vegetable lasagna with white alfredo sauce is easy yet so good! With layers of vegetables, cheese and noodles, theres a lot to love.
This vegetable lasagna with white alfredo sauce is easy yet so good! With layers of vegetables, cheese and noodles, theres a lot to love.
Make Two Because Yes You Can Freeze This Vegetable Lasagna
This recipe makes two 8 x 8 pans, so its great if you plan to share with friends and family. Think freezer meals for new moms or new neighbors. Yes, people still do this and certainly appreciate it. Be that person!
Or if youre in a stage of life where youre just struggling to get dinner on your own table, I get you! You could serve one lasagna for dinner that night and freeze the other one for a quick and easy weeknight meal another day.
My sister-in-law and I made this alfredo lasagna together and it was so easy that we actually made three others at the same time. We ate two and then I took two home and froze them, uncooked.
If you freeze yours, then when youre ready to eat it, just put the lasagna dish into a cold oven to let it warm up as the oven warms. This will prevent the casserole dish from cracking. Still use caution, especially if using glass because glass can shatter if it changes temperature too quickly. It will need to cook for about an hour or until the center is nice and hot if youre starting with it frozen.
Don’t Miss: Campbell’s Garlic Butter Sauce
Watch How To Make Vegetable Lasagna
- Add vegetables of your choice.
- Use cheese of your choice. I have used a mixture of cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Use ready oven lasagna. If you don’t have any, boil the lasagna sheets before layering them. You boil them for 8-10 minutes.
- Use ricotta or paneer as filling along with the vegetables.
- Have at least 3 layers.
- Don’t bake the lasagna without covering it. It will become dry.
- Remove the foil after baking the lasagna for 20-25 minutes so that the cheese can melt well and the top becomes brown.
- For that extra golden brown top, broil for 2-3 minutes on high.
White Or Black Pepper Which One Is Best
Both work in my opinion. I like the idea of white pepper when I make white sauces because it looks cleaner. But then sometimes I like the look that pepper ads. Theres a flavor difference too though.
The difference between the white and black pepper is that black pepper has its outer shell. Whereas, white pepper is just the inside seed of a peppercorn. Since black pepper contains for the seed and shell, it can add a slightly more complex flavor.
My advice is to go light if youre using white pepper. Because it doesnt have the the shell like black pepper does, you are working with just the powerful, peppery inside. So you actually need less of it.
Recommended Reading: Ragu Alfredo Sauce Walmart
Vegetable Lasagna With White Sauce Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my disclosure policy for details.
This Vegetable Lasagna with White Sauce is the best way to use up all of your garden vegetables! The cheesy vegetarian lasagna is layered with lasagna noodles, bechamel sauce, and garden veggies.
What Vegetables Are Good In Lasagna
Lasagna is a classic Italian casserole. While a traditional recipe includes layers of lasagna noodles, red sauce, cheese and meat, you can also switch it up with a vegetable-packed meat-free recipe, Italian sausage, chicken, or white sauces such as Alfredo. The options are truly endless!
For our favorite healthy vegetable lasagna recipe, I bulk up the marinara sauce with a combination of sweet bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, diced onion, diced zucchini and minced garlic. The good news is that you can mix it up and modify the recipe to include any of your family’s favorites. Corn, diced eggplant, or spinach would all be great additions. In the fall, I’ll probably go with some butternut squash and kale!
Don’t Miss: How To Remove Bbq Sauce Stain
How To Store Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Refrigerate leftover lasagna within 2 hours in a covered container and consume within 3 days.
- To freeze the lasagna, cut it into individual servings and arrange it on a baking sheet. Freeze until solid then transfer the portions to zip-close freezer bags. Label the bags with the name and date and freeze them for up to 2 months. Defrost frozen butternut squash lasagna in the refrigerator overnight.
- To reheat, place the lasagna in a baking dish and cover it with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for about 25 to 35 minutes, until hot.
Ingredients Required For Vegetable Lasagna
For The Béchamel Sauce Or White Sauce:
- Olive Oil I like to use a mixture of olive oil and butter to roast the flour for the sauce.
- Butter optional. Can use butter only, use a bit of butter and oil like I do or use just oil.
- Flour can use all purpose flour or wheat flour.
- Milk I prefer to use 2% -3% milk.
- Nutmeg Powder I like adding nutmeg as it lands a lovely flavour.
- Salt add according to your taste. Remember, as it is a milk sauce you really dont need too much salt.
For The Vegetable Tomato Sauce /Filling
- Lasagna Pasta I have used oven ready lasagna pasta or sheets. If you dont get oven ready ones, then you have to boil the sheets in water till they are partially cooked.
- Cheese use any cheese of your choice. I have used a mixture of cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Chilli Flakes optional. Adds a bit of kick to the dish.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Freddy’s Fry Sauce
The Best Vegetable Lasagna
Five reasons to love this recipe:
The end result is a super flavorful, nutrient-dense, veggie-packed lasagna. This lasagna might not be the quickest weeknight option around, but it is a reasonably simple recipe that will absolutely satisfy your comfort food cravings.
Enjoy, and please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! Your feedback is so important to me.
Craving more vegetable-packed casseroles? Here are more of my favorites:
- Total Time:1 hour
- Yield:8 servings 1x
4.9 from 980 reviews
Seriously the best veggie lasagna! This lasagna recipe is packed with bell pepper, zucchini and carrots, sautéed until golden and tender on the edges. Recipe yields one 9-inch lasagna, enough for 8 slices.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 ounces baby spinach
How To Make Healthy Vegetable Lasagna For A Lighter Choice
If you’re looking to lighten up the dish and make it even healthier, there are a few swaps that you can easily make:
- Whole Wheat Pasta: you can purchase whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles. If using the whole wheat noodles, check the cooking instructions on your package. Most whole wheat pasta requires a slightly different cooking temperature and time .
- Cottage Cheese: use small curd cottage cheese in lieu of the ricotta. For this recipe, you will need a 16 ounce container of small-curd cottage cheese .
- Reduced-Fat Mozzarella: look for a lighter shredded mozzarella to reduce fat and calories.
- look for a high-quality store-bought marinara sauce that doesn’t include added sugar. We love Rao’s brand, but any similar sauce will work.
Read Also: Mcdonald’s Signature Sauce Recipe
Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
Love Lasagna AND Fettuccine Alfredo? We sure do at our house! So we did a little bit of a mash-up of our two favorite recipes and boy is it AMAZING!! This Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna is quite literally the best thing to hit our house in a while.
If you enjoy recipes using alfredo sauce, then you will love this easy fettuccine alfredo recipe or this alfredo pizza recipe. Both are perfect for quick and easy weeknight dinners! For another recipe mash-up, I think you will love this penne rosa with its creamy marinara sauce.
Ingredients In This Zucchini Lasagna
Gather these core ingredients and lets rock & roll. Dont skip anything, as each ingredient contributes something important in the flavor department!
- Zucchini: Kick things off with 5 medium-sized zucchinis. Youre welcome to use yellow squash here as well, which will mimic the color of pasta!
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms add bulk and savory flavor to this lasagna youll need 16 oz, sliced.
- Spinach: Next, youll need 10 oz of frozen spinach. This is a great way to sneak in the greens!
- Ricotta: Use 15 oz of ricotta to get that classic lasagna taste.
- Mozzarella: Use 1 heaping cup of shredded mozzarella . Divide it for using at two points in the lasagna and to top it!
- Parmesan: Include 1 cup of fresh grated parmesan .
- Egg: 1 large egg will help bind the ricotta mixture together.
- Oregano: For extra flavor, add ½ tsp of oregano.
- Alfredo Sauce: Where traditional lasagna uses bechamel, were keeping this a gluten-free lasagna by using alfredo sauce instead. Use 15 oz of your favorite store bought brand.
Read Also: Are Tomatos Bad For Gout
Can You Freeze Veggie Lasagna
You can freeze a whole pan of lasagna or you can freeze individual servings. Keep the lasagna in an airtight container or baking dish. When you are ready to serve the lasagna, thaw it in a refrigerator and reheat it. You can also reheat the lasagna from frozen, just add another 20-30 minutes to the baking time.
This veggie lasagna is full of flavor from all the delicious vegetables. This savory dish is hearty enough to please friends and family, even the dedicated meat eaters. Do yourself a favor and give this recipe a try.
How To Make Vegetable Lasagna
Just like when making classic lasagna, the method for our recipe is pretty simple. Heres an overview of how to make our vegetable lasagna :
Cook your lasagna noodles OR skip this step and use no-boil noodles. Even though we use regular lasagna noodles in our video, I actually prefer the texture of no-boil noodles and bonus, its easier!
Make the simple tomato sauce, which takes about 20 minutes. If youre going to be short on time, the sauce can be made up to three days in advance.
Combine ricotta cheese, egg, and a bit of salt together. Choose a high quality ricotta for this. Unfortunately quite a few brands miss the mark when it comes to great tasting ricotta. I like BelGioioso Ricotta con Latte Whole Milk, Sorrento, and if I can find it, freshly made ricotta from our local cheese shop.
Assemble the lasagna by layering the vegetable sauce, noodles, the ricotta mixture, and shredded cheese.
The lasagna bakes in the oven for about 35 minutes. I like to bake it covered for 20 minutes, and then uncover it so the top and cheese get some color.
Recommended Reading: Remove Spaghetti Sauce From Clothing
We Honestly Think This Is The Best Lasagna Recipe
I know that saying that this is the best lasagna, ever is a bold statement, but we truly believe it. I love lasagna in all its forms. Weve shared a variety of them including a meaty beef and sausage lasagna, this five cheese lasagna, our extra easy no-fuss lasagna and even this creamy chicken lasagna with white sauce and while they are all delicious, its this easy vegetable lasagna that truly has my heart.
- This veggie lasagna is easy to make, made from scratch, and calls for simple ingredients.
- The recipe is adaptable based on the vegetables you have available to you. In our photos, weve used zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers, and onions, but a variety of veggies can work in their place.
- You can make this lasagna gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Check our notes below for suggestions.
How To Make Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
I’m going to walk you through making this alfredo lasagna recipe step by step so you will see how easy it is to make. We’re going to start with prepping the pasta, ricotta, and sauce. Then I will show you exactly how to layer the lasagna perfectly.
Step 1: Heat salted water to boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook just until al dente. When they’re ready, remove from the water, drain and rinse with cold water.
Step 2: Combine the lightly scrambled egg with the ricotta cheese and pesto in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside until ready to layer the lasagna.
Step 3: Make the homemade alfredo sauce for lasagna. In a small sauce slowly melt your butter and add in your minced fresh garlic
Let them melt and heat together for a minute or two to allow the garlic flavors to infuse into the butter. Keep the heat on low, med-low. You don’t want to brown your butter.
Step 4: Add your cream, cheese, fresh ground nutmeg, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. DO NOT SKIMP!
On medium heat stir these together until the cheese is completely melted. Then you are ready to layer your lasagna.
Step 5: Now that everything is prepped you’re ready to layer the chicken lasagna with alfredo sauce. There’s a certain order to how to layer this lasagna!
Step 7: Add one final layer of mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of parsley!
Recommended Reading: Raos Marinara Costco
Tips For Vegetable Lasagna
- Cut the vegetables into small pieces so that they wont fall out of the layers when you slice your lasagna.
- I recommend using whole milk ricotta and mozzarella cheese for the best flavor.
- Use freshly shredded cheese, not the bags of pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese contains anti-caking agents and stabilizers and doesnt melt smoothly.
- Pick your favorite brand of marinara sauce I typically use Newmans Own or Classico.
- This lasagna can be assembled up to 6 hours before you plan to bake it. Cover it and store it in the fridge until youre ready to put it in the oven. You may need to add more baking time to compensate for starting with a cold dish.
- You can store the baked lasagna in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- The vegetable marinara sauce can be made up to 2 days before you plan to use it. Sometimes I even make a double batch and freeze some for another night.
So Then What Vegetables Go In Vegetable Lasagna
You can truly use any vegetables in this veggie lasagna but my favorite blend is layers of:
Fresh spinach leaves,
Thinly sliced yellow squash,
and thinly sliced zucchini.
I really enjoy Stouffers vegetable lasagna and this is the combination of vegetables that is in their recipe, so thats what I like to use. You can experiment though and see what tastes best to you!
Also Check: Raos Spaghetti Sauce