What Is The Secret To This Tasty Barbecue Sauce Recipe
While Texas barbecue is legendary, so is Dr Pepper. That classic soda born in Waco, Texas has been a favorite for years. That beverage is the key to this barbecue sauce.
Given that Dr Pepper has 23 flavors in that beverage, all those different notes make the barbecue sauce even better. Whether it is the various fruits to the spices, one beverage can replace a myriad of other ingredients.
Dr Pepper shared this recipe for Spicy Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce. Do you think that it will spice up your next barbecue?
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of smoked ghost pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Reduce sauce until desired consistency . Adjust seasonings to taste.
One tip when making this barbecue sauce recipe. It is important to slowly reduce the sauce. That process will help to get the right consistency.
Also, the seasonings can, and should, be adjusted to taste. If your family likes flavors to be even spicier, add a pinch more cayenne, or other spice notes.
Like any good recipe, making it your own is part of the joy of cooking. Time to head to the kitchen.
Do you have a secret to a great barbecue sauce recipe? Do you know a great cooking or recipe tip to share?
How To Store Bbq Sauce
You can make this sauce and use it right away or store it for later. Without all the preservatives that are added to store-bought sauce, homemade sauce will spoil faster.
To Store: Allow sauce to cool completely, then pour into a quart-size mason jar with a tight-fitting lid or an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. It will keep up to 1 week.To Freeze: Pour sauce into an airtight freezer safe container or freezer safe plastic bag. It will keep up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before using. Another option is to freeze in individual ice cube trays, then once solid, transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe bag and use a couple at a time for smaller meals.
Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe Ingredients
This BBQ Sauce comes together quickly with just a handful of ingredients that I generally have in my refrigerator or my pantry and is one that I think you all will fall in love with as well. Ive had friends ask me to please make extra for them to take home and if Id bottle it, theyd surely buy it.
To make this homemade BBQ Sauce, youll need:
Recommended Reading: Is Prego Alfredo Sauce Keto
Tips For The Best Bbq Sauce
- Add a blend of various ingredients to build lots of flavor. Here we use a fair amount that all come together and pair perfectly.
- Dont omit all the sweeteners or sauce will be very sour and unbalanced.
- Let it simmer and reduce to thicken. The simmering not only helps meld the flavors but it thickens the sauce since some of the liquid evaporates.
- Wait to add bbq sauce to chicken or ribs until the last 5 10 minutes of grilling or baking so it doesnt burn excessively and dont cook over high heat once added, use a medium heat.
- If its been in the fridge dont forget to let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes so you arent serving it cold with warm food .
Newfangled Bbq Sauce Recipes
I respect tradition as much as the next person, but some of my favorite recipes for grilling riff on the classics with unexpected ingredients. Like these.
Brewed coffee and espresso powder. Molasses and maple syrup and brown sugar. Chipotle chili powder and dry mustard and smoked paprika. Tomato sauce and tomato paste. This gorgeous barbecue sauce doesnt hold back when it comes to bold flavors. Adding bourbon at the end, when its off the heat, gives it a nice, boozy punch.
Don’t Miss: Chipotle Chiles In Adobo Sauce Walmart
Spicy Mustard Bbq Sauce
For as long as I remember, Ive always loved my Mamas Coca-Cola BBQ sauce. It is what I grew up on her chicken, meatloaf and so many other dishes. But then, on a trip to South Carolina after my husband and I were married, I ventured over into the other side of BBQ sauces away from the red and sweet to the yellowish orange and tangy. While I wont say that it replaced the BBQ sauce that Ive loved since I was a little girl, I readily admit that when I now love to make all sorts of BBQ sauces at my house depending on what Im planning to serve. I also like to make a selection so that guests have an option.
If you are looking for another BBQ sauce to add to your line up for an upcoming party or just to try something a little different from your usual sauce that you serve, you might want to make this to try as an option. It is one that I certainly enjoy!
Heres my Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
How To Make Bbq Sauce
It will take you less time to make BBQ sauce from scratch than it will to fold a load of laundry! Heres a brief summary:
Don’t Miss: Bulls Eye Original Bbq Sauce
Spicy Mustard Bbq Sauce Recipe
Camping 15 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce adds the right amount of spice and tang to whatever you serve with it. This mustard BBQ sauce makes a great addition to your BBQ!
This Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce is a delicious combination of spicy and tangy. Its so delicious on so many meats and foods, but I especially love to eat it with chicken or pork. I make this to serve alongside my other bbq sauces when I have a cookout with friends and family. It has just that perfect amount of zest and everyone always loves it!
How To Use Your Bbq Sauce:
- BBQ Marinade: Marinate grilled chicken, pulled pork, and ribs or spread it on top of any bbq meats during the grilling process.
- Condiment: Spread it over the top of your homemade nachos, salads, tacos, meatloaf, or on the bun of your juicy hamburger or chicken burger.
- Dipping sauce: dip meats and vegetables in it or stir a couple tablespoons into your homemade ranch for a BBQ ranch twist.
- Pizza sauce: spread it over bbq chicken pizza crust or create your own favorite pizza and drizzle it over top.
Don’t Miss: How To Heat Up Prego Sauce
Homemade Bbq Sauce Ingredients:
To make this homemade bbq sauce recipe, you will need the following ingredients :
- Tomato sauce: One can of plain tomato sauce .
- Apple cider vinegar: To add some tang to the sauce.
- Honey: I really prefer the taste of honey as the natural sweetener in this bbq sauce. But you could also sub in brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Tomato paste: To intensify the rich tomato flavor in this sauce.
- Molasses: A must in Kansas City bbq sauce!
- Worcestershire: If making this sauce vegan, be sure to use a vegan brand of Worcestershire.
- Liquid smoke: To give the sauce those important smoky notes.
- Spices: A combo of smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder and salt. Plus a few optional pinches of cayenne, if you would like to give the sauce some heat.
How To Make Barbecue Sauce From Scratch
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
You might notice that the sauce smells a little vinegary when bubbling in the pan, but the vinegar smell and taste mellows beautifully as the sauce cools
Don’t Miss: Prego Creamy Vodka Italian Sauce
Ran Out Of Bbq Sauce Make Your Own This Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe Requires Just 4 Ingredients And Its Ready In Minutes
Ive been a little bit lazy about dinner lately. Ive been busy
Theres been a rush in the shop for end of the year teacher stationery and Ive been working nearly every afternoon/evening in the garden trying to get everything built so I can get everything planted, too! So, obviously, between work, the garden and well, sleepI havent had a whole lotta extra time.
But, I decided this week Id try to get dinner made every night at a decent hour . Sunday, I thought Id make BBQ Chicken and Homemade Parmesan Garlic Potatoes. Of course, the fates were against me and I found that someone had used all the BBQ sauce. So, the husband suggested I just whip some up. Funny guy, right?
Onlyhe was right! I was actually rushing while I was putting together dinner, because I wanted to go back outside to the garden, so I just threw a few ingredients into the pot and let it simmer while I went out to finish planting.
And it turned into the best homemade BBQ sauce Ive ever made. Ever.
All I did was dump it over some chicken and then, baked it for about 25 minutes. It was awesome!
Personally, I liked it better than store-bought sauce and my oldest daughter, who hates BBQ sauce, absolutely loved it. Score!
Now to figure out how to can it so I can make a whole bunch at a time
So, heres the recipe for this amazing homemade BBQ saucegive it a try and let me know if you love it, too!
How To Make Homemade Bbq Sauce:
1. Combine ingredients. Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and mix together until smooth.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or up to one hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools.
3. Serve. Slather this stuff on just about anything or store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Double it? I love to make this sauce and keep it in the fridge for several weeks. Depending on your family size you could double the recipe to make a bigger batch. Its delicious for dipping/marinating grilled chicken, spooning on hamburgers or ribs, or dipping as a sauce. Its my go-to when I dont have a dinner plan.
Don’t Miss: 2 Oz Stainless Steel Sauce Cups
About This Bbq Sauce Recipe
This BBQ sauce recipe is packed full of sweet heat and is great on chicken, pulled pork, ribs, barbecue chicken pizza, and anything else that youd normally sauce up with BBQ. It has a touch of smokiness from chipotle chili powder, and like many of my recipes, its customizable so you can make it perfect for you.
This Delicious Recipe Fuses A Unique Blend Of Quality Ingredients And Spices For A Sweet Bbq Sauce You Will Love
This unique blend of quality ingredients and spices combines for a thick, tangy bbq sauce that is great for ribs, burgers, chicken, pork and all your favorite . Create unlimited regional and ethnic flavors with open pit barbecue sauce. This unique blend of quality ingredients and spices combines for a thick, tangy bbq sauce that is great for ribs, burgers, chicken, pork and all your favorite . Open pit’s blue label sauce has a unique flavor that people enjoy right out of the bottle or as the foundation for their own secret sauce recipe. Browse our wide selection of barbecue sauce for delivery or drive up & go to pick up at the . Great for ribs, burgers, chicken, pork and all . This unique blend of quality ingredients and spices combines for a thick, tangy bbq sauce that is great for ribs, burgers, chicken, pork and all your favorite . Lay ribs in single layer. From asian to american, latin classics to island favorites, open pit barbecue . Please visit our website at www.openpit.com . Ingredients · 2 cups white vinegar ·½ cup brown sugar ·¼ cup white sugar · 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce · 1 tablespoon lemon juice ·½ tablespoon salt · 1 . Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 to 1/2 . Pour barbecue sauce over ribs, then water, then honey.
Don’t Miss: Can You Eat Yum Yum Sauce On Keto
Ways To Use Bbq Sauce:
There are so many great ways to put a batch of homemade BBQ sauce to delicious use! Some of our faves include:
- Traditional bbq meat: Grilled or pulled chicken, pulled pork, ribs, burnt ends, etc.
- Baked beans: BBQ sauce is a simple and delicious way to flavor a batch of baked beans.
- Burgers: Use it as a spread on your favorite burgers.
- Pizzas: Use it in place of pizza sauce.
- Soups/salads: Mix it into broths to flavor soups, or use the sauce as a dressing for your salad.
- Tacos/quesadillas/burritos: BBQ sauce is a great way to give your favorite Mexican dishes a different twist.
- Dipping sauce: And of course, its always a great dipping sauce for everything from chicken nuggets to veggie sticks to cocktail meatballs and more!
What Are The Main Ingredients In Bbq Sauce
The exact ingredients used in a recipe will vary. However, you can almost always count on ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar being part of the recipe.
Of course, the style of barbecue sauce will also determine the ingredients. For example, there are mustard-based sauces. Alabama even has a mayonnaise-based barbecue sauce.
Recommended Reading: Best Hot Sauce For Bloody Mary
How To Store And Freeze Barbecue Sauce
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Since it is not loaded with preservatives, homemade barbecue sauce will go bad faster than store bought barbecue sauce.
- To Freeze. Yes, you can freeze barbecue sauce! Place the sauce in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
How To Make Coca Cola Bbq Sauce Recipe
Heres how my Mama makes her BBQ sauce.
Add ketchup to a small sauce pan over low to medium heat.
Next add in your Worcestershire sauce , along with your Stone House Seasoning. If you do not have Stone House Seasoning on hand, you can simply combine 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder for this recipe.
And of course some delicious Coca-Cola, or Coke.
Next comes the brown sugar.
And a few dashes of hot sauce for that bit of spicy kick.
This sauce works great with any meats, but is especially good with chicken and pork.
While it may not be like your Mamas BBQ Sauce, I dont think your Mama would mind so much if you give it a try. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
You May Like: Mussels In White Wine Sauce
Favorite Ways To Use Bbq Sauce
- Chicken Use on baked chicken for a flavorful meal or drizzled over shredded chicken for a BBQ Chicken Sandwich.
- Pork Delicious with ribs, brisket and definitely with pulled pork. Hello, best pulled pork sandwich ever!
- Burgers Delicious on hamburgers in place of ketchup for a tasty BBQ Burger.
- Pizza Use in place of pizza sauce for a BBQ Chicken Pizza or a Pulled Pork Pizza. Yum!
How Do You Make Homemade Bbq Sauce
This barbecue sauce starts with ketchup as the base. Look for ketchup that is organic or conventional ketchup that is not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. The ketchup is combined with apple cider vinegar, an array of spices, a dash of hot sauce and brown sugar to make up this intensely flavored condiment. All you have to do is throw everything in the pan, let it simmer for a bit, and youre done!
Read Also: Vegan Pesto Sauce Whole Foods
How To Make The Best Barbecue Sauce
Not only is making your own barbecue sauce from scratch infinitely more delicious than anything youll find at the store, it is EASY.
While this isnt one of those 3 ingredient BBQ sauce recipes , it is still super simple and its flavor is a dead ringer for the barbecue sauces Ive tried at legit BBQ joints.
Lets break it down, BBQ-style.
Open Pit Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
Open Pit Barbecue Sauce Ingredients – Nelson’s Port-a-pit Barbeque Sauce | Barbeque sauce, Sauce. This unique blend of quality ingredients and spices combines for a thick, tangy bbq sauce that is great for ribs, burgers, chicken, pork and all your favorite . Please visit our website at www.openpit.com . Lay ribs in single layer. Create unlimited regional and ethnic flavors with open pit barbecue sauce. Pour barbecue sauce over ribs, then water, then honey.
This delicious recipe fuses a unique blend of quality ingredients and spices for a sweet bbq sauce you will love. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 to 1/2 . Pour barbecue sauce over ribs, then water, then honey. This unique blend of quality ingredients and spices combines for a thick, tangy bbq sauce that is great for ribs, burgers, chicken, pork and all your favorite . Browse our wide selection of barbecue sauce for delivery or drive up & go to pick up at the .
Recommended Reading: Lawry’s Enchilada Sauce Mix
Heres How You Make It
How to make the best BBQ sauce for ribs? Ill tell ya: