Can I Make Shrimp Tacos In Advance
The most time consuming part of this easy Shrimp Tacos recipe is not the shrimp but rather the other components. To cut down prep work you can: 1) Defrost your Shrimp 2) Toss you Shrimp with Spices and 3) Make Mango Salsa all in advance so your shrimp tacos come together lighting fast at dinner time
Make Your Own Crispy Shrimp
Start with raw frozen shrimp, peeled, de-veined and tail off. Dip in corn starch and then make a batter by mixing together all purpose flour, salt, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt and black pepper. Then add cold club soda. Mix just enough to combine. Coat the shrimp in the batter and then fry in canola oil at about 350 degrees for 2 minutes. Cook in batches.
Making Shrimp Taco Recipe In Advance
Expecting company or want a 10 minute dinner tonight? Make shrimp taco recipe ahead of time. Refrigerate seasoned shrimp and sauce separately for up to 2 days. Cook tacos and assemble slaw right before serving.
Store leftovers: Refrigerate leftover cooked shrimp and slaw in separate airtight containers for up to 24 hours. Cabbage slaw will leak a bit, drain and stir before serving.
To reheat: Place previously cooked shrimp on well preheated ceramic non-stick skillet with a bit of cooking spray or oil. You want skillet to be hot, cook shrimp for 1 minute max per each side, just to heat through and not overcook. It doesnt need much more than that.
Enjoy this 15 minute shrimp taco recipe! I swear, its the easiest dinner I ever made besides smoked salmon salad.
Don’t Miss: Authentic Mexican Enchilada Sauce Recipe
Video: How To Cut Cilantro
Ever wondered the best way to chop cilantro? Youll need to finely chop cilantro for this shrimp taco sauce recipe, and this method for cutting cilantro is slick and simple. Also, have you ever had issues with cilantro going bad in the plastic bag from the grocery store? We share our favorite herb keeper, too. Heres our step by step guide for how to cut cilantro, including a video of me cutting cilantro in our kitchen.
Make Shrimp Taco Seasoning And Sauce
Shrimp taco seasoning: We combine enough taco seasoning with garlic powder to season raw shrimp for 5 minutes while you are making the sauce and pre-heating the skillet. You want shrimp to be a little spicy so assembled tacos do not taste bland.
And no salt added because shrimp contains a lot of sodium, and so does taco seasoning .
Shrimp taco sauce: Most shrimp taco recipes are heavy on mayo. I used yogurt and some mayo because these healthy shrimp tacos wouldnt be real shrimp tacos without creamy mayo slaw. It is a version of this healthy coleslaw recipe.
Combine with lime juice, more taco seasoning and a pinch of cayenne. And it will be the most simple and tasty shrimp taco sauce ever. We will use it for the slaw and to drizzle on tacos.
Remember, easy! Set aside.
Adding a touch of mayo with yogurt reduces fat/calories but still gives these shrimp tacos with slaw a more authentic taste!
Recommended Reading: Crosse And Blackwell Steak Sauce
Minute Shrimp Tacos Recipe With Slaw
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This 15 Minute Shrimp Tacos Recipe makes a weeknight meal or last minute entertaining a breeze. Spicy juicy shrimp topped with creamy cilantro lime slaw and wrapped in warm corn tortilla, these shrimp tacos have the best taste and texture.
Love shrimp and healthy taco recipes? Try our air fryer shrimp, shrimp ceviche or shrimp tostadas. So easy and good!
Can I Make Mango Salsa Ahead Of Time
Your Mango Salsa can be made up to 24 hours ahead of serving your Shrimp Tacos and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Although the Mango Salsa is just a quick chopping of fresh mangos, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and a splash of lime juice, sometimes its nice not to have any chopping at all come dinner time. I also like making Mango Salsa in advance because I think the flavors get better over time.
Don’t Miss: La Victoria Medium Taco Sauce
Did You Make This Recipe
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on
In support of this small business, ¡Hola! Jalapeño earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño . This income allows me to run the site. Thank you for reading!
How To Toast Tortillas For Tacos:
- Over a Gas Stove Flame We love this method for authentic lightly charred edges. Toast the tortilla directly over a medium/low open flame on a gas stove. Use tongs to rotate the tortilla about every 5 seconds. Flip as soon as the tortilla is lightly blackened on the edges and repeat with the second side. Keep your eye on that tortilla and adjust the flame as needed because they can burn quickly.
- On a Griddle This is our favorite way to make a bunch of tortillas at once. Preheat a dry griddle to medium/high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 15-30 seconds per side until golden brown in some spots on each side.
- On a Skillet – Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 15-30 seconds on each side until golden and hot on each side.
Keep these Shrimp Tacos in mind for your next Taco Night and make a taco bar out of it.
Don’t Miss: Best Sauce Pots And Pans
Tips For Perfect Shrimp Tacos:
- Use frozen shrimp and thawed shrimp . Most shrimp sold at the grocery store is actually previously frozen and thawed and you never know how long its been sitting there, plus you likely wont be cooking it up right away so it tastes better if you thaw yourself.
- Take the weight of the shrimp after thawing so youll have enough. You lose some water weight once thawed so youll actually need more with frozen weight.
- Use lots of spices! The spice blend here paired with the cilantro lime crema is what gives these tacos so much flavor.
- Be careful not to over-cook the shrimp. Key to any good shrimp recipe. If over-cooked they take on a bouncy rubbery texture.
- Add some textural contrast with toppings. Serving with crunchy cabbage and creamy avocado does just that.
Can I Use Frozen Shrimp
I recommend using fresh shrimp for these tacos. However, because in this recipe youll be tossing the shrimp with a spice rub and then theyll be nestled in a taco with other components you could use frozen for this recipe. To prepare the frozen shrimp. I recommend thawing in a bowl of cold water. Do NOT use hot water, it will start to cook the shrimp. Then all you do is completely peel the shrimp and devein.
Don’t Miss: How To Start A Sauce Business
Ingredients To Make Shrimp Tacos
Shrimp We like to use medium-sized shrimp for this recipe. Whenever possible, buy shrimp that are MSC or ASC-certified to ensure that they were harvested or raised with minimal negative effects on the ocean.
Taco seasoning The best way to season shrimp for tacos is to use homemade taco seasoning. Of course, you can use a storebought package, but homemade is so much better.
Cooking oil and salt We use avocado oil and sea salt. If you only have table salt, use half the amount.
Shrimp taco sauce Blending cilantro, sour cream, mayo, pickled jalapeños, green onion, garlic, and salt is all it takes to make this sauce. It’s such a great recipe that it has a shrimp taco sauce post of its own but for convenience, we’ve also included it in the recipe here.
Cabbage For the best results, slice the cabbage thin and then tossed it in some of the shrimp taco sauce to make a simple slaw.
Tortillas Either corn or flour tortillas will work, although our preference is for white corn tortillas.
Toppings Tacos are made for extra toppings. Our favorites on these tacos are sliced or mashed avocados, cojita or feta cheese, minced red onion, and pickled jalapeños.
Ingredients For Shrimp Tacos:
- Shrimp We used large 21-25 count shrimp, but the medium or even small shrimp would work well. Keep in mind smaller shrimp will cook faster.
- Red Cabbage the color and flavor is perfect for tacos, but you can sub with green cabbage or even a coleslaw blend
- Cheese Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is the traditional cheese for Mexican tacos. I found cotija at the grocery store next to the refrigerated tortillas.
- Toppings avocado, red onion, and cilantro are our go-to toppings for tacos.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Burger Sauce
How To Season Shrimp For Tacos
When Im making tacos I expect to have it popping with flavor. So for these shrimp tacos I used a blackening type spice rub and added a little bit more ancho chili powder to give it some heat. I also used garlic powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. With shrimp specifically you want to be careful with how much salt you add because they usually are higher in sodium as is. So Id just use maybe 1/8 teaspoon of salt, if that.
How To Peel And Devein Raw Shrimp
For shrimp tacos, you’ll want to completely peel and devein the shrimp. No one wants to bite into a shrimp tail!
To peel raw shrimp, first gently twist off the head then wedge your thumb inside the shell, just above the legs. Grasp the shell between your thumb and forefinger lift and turn to detach the shell down to the tail segment. For shrimp with the tail intact, hold the peeled shrimp near the tail and gently pull to release the shrimp completely.
To devein, use a sharp paring knife to cut a shallow slit down the center of the back. With the tip of the knife, gently lift the vein out and discard . Repeat with remaining shrimp.
Recommended Reading: Hellmann’s Classic Burger Sauce
Ingredients You Will Need
Lets start with simple and best shrimp tacos ingredients you always buy:
- Raw shrimp: Fresh or frozen. To thaw shrimp, place in lukewarm water for an hour or so or in the fridge overnight. Make sure shrimp is very well drained and dry. This will ensure it gets a char on instead of releasing a lot of water. P.S. I forgot to remove the tails.
- Tortillas: We prefer small corn tortillas around 6 inch in diameter. You can use flour tortillas as well.
- Store bought coleslaw mix: Saves a lot of time.
- Plain yogurt: I do not recommend to use 0% yogurt because slaw will lack flavour. We already reduced a lot of fat by cutting back amount of mayo.
- Mayo: A little bit makes taco sauce legit.
- Seasonings:Taco seasoning, garlic powder, lime and cilantro. Thats it!
Frequently Asked Questions: Shrimp Tacos With Slaw
Are shrimp tacos better with slaw?
We think so! The good thing about this recipe is that the slaw is little more than thinly sliced cabbage and a dressing that does double duty as a shrimp taco sauce. So easy + so good!
What kind of shrimp should I use?
We like to use medium-sized shrimp which are often sold as 41/50 the numbers indicate how many shrimp per pound. Look for shrimp that are labeled MSC or ASC-certified. Both certifications promote sustainable fishing practices.
How to season shrimp for tacos
We love using our homemade taco seasoning to season shrimp for tacos. It’s a blend of chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.
How to cook shrimp for tacos
The best way to cook shrimp for tacos is in a pan with a little oil. Shrimp cook very quickly so you’ll only need to cook them for 2-3 minutes. Once they turn into a c-shape and turn light pink in color, they are cooked. Do not overcook them or they’ll turn rubbery.
Can I substitute the cilantro?
Cilantro has a unique flavor to the sauce. If you’re not a fan of it, you can replace it with parsley.
How can I make my shrimp tacos spicier?
To make this shrimp taco recipe spicier, you can add some cayenne pepper when you cook the shrimp. You can also add hot sauce when you’re assembling the tacos.
How long will the shrimp last in the fridge?
Cooked shrimp will last for 3-4 days in your fridge when stored in a covered container.
You May Like: Bertolli Marinara Sauce With Burgundy Wine
Why This Recipe Works
- Quick and easy – A lot of the components of this recipe can be prepared ahead. This makes these tacos super easy to throw together for a quick dinner or lunch. Make the sauce, pickled onions, cabbage slaw, and pico de gallo the night before and just cook the shrimp before serving!
- Great both grilled and sauteed – To cook the shrimp on a grill, thread them on skewers and grill for 2 minutes per side. I usually sautee them to have extra sauce I can drizzle on the tacos but both ways are delicious!
Expert Tips For Making This Recipe
- Toppings: Sliced Avocado, tomato, fresh herbs like cilantro and a squeeze of lime are wonderful.
- Different Protein: Fish can be used in these tacos, tilapia is great.
- Heat: Up the heat with your favorite pepper or pepper sauce.
- Alternate cooking method tip: Air Fry your shrimp in the air fryer to make a healthier dish or even oven bake.
- Different taco Shell: Feel free a different taco shell such as a hard taco or an egg wrap, or cheese wrap.
- Cheese: top with your favorite mexican blend or Queso Cotija.
Recommended Reading: Is Sweet Baby Ray’s Bbq Sauce Keto Friendly
Shrimp Taco Recipe Faqs
How do you season shrimp for tacos?
We love to use low sodium taco seasoning with garlic powder, it gives just enough spice to make the shrimp shine in the tacos! Combined with the cilantro lime coleslaw and creamy taco sauce, you will have a very flavorful seafood shrimp taco.
What can I substitute cilantro with?
Substitute cilantro with fresh parsley if you do not love cilantro. The taste definitely will be different though.
Is it better to use fresh or frozen shrimp for tacos?
You can use either for this easy shrimp taco recipe! Since you are seasoning the shrimp, it is fine to use frozen. Thaw raw shrimp overnight or place in colander in a bowl with cold water, thaws in 15-20 minutes. Pat dry the shrimps.Readers have had good luck with precooked frozen shrimp as well after thawing let sit with seasoning for 20-30 minutes then warm up in skillet .
Can you use 0% fat yogurt for shrimp taco sauce?
Readers have used 0% fat with great results, I like to use 2% as it gives it more flavor, same goes for healthy shrimp salad.
How To Defrost Shrimp For Shrimp Tacos
I love shrimp because its so convenient, you dont have to chop any raw meat, and it cooks super quickly. If you keep frozen shrimp on hand, then you can make these Shrimp Tacos any night of the week! Once your shrimp is defrosted then it will cook up in minutes literally.
- There are two options for defrosting your shrimp. To quickly defrost, place the frozen shrimp in a fine-mesh sieve or colander. Place this sieve in a large bowl of cold tap water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, replace the water in the bowl with new cold tap water and resubmerge the shrimp. Let shrimp sit an additional 10- 20 minutes. At this point the shrimp should be completely defrosted.
- The easier way to defrost your shrimp if you remember in advance is to remove your frozen shrimp to a covered bowl and let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- Whatever you do, resist the urge to use warm tap water as this will cause the shrimp to defrost and cook unevenly.
Also Check: Prego Garlic And Italian Herb Sauce
What I Love About This Recipe:
- Packed with flavor: Youll think youre eating at a coastal Mexican restaurant! Every time I make these I cant help making yummy noises with every bite I take! They are just that good.
- Quick and easy: These tacos should take less than 30 minutes to make, and you can make the slaw and marinade in advance to get them on the dinner table even faster!
Saute Shrimp And Make Cabbage Slaw
Cook shrimp for 4 minutes in a hot ceramic non-stick skillet. Shrimp cooks fast and its ready when no longer gray and starts to turn pink. For more browned look, flip once and press on shrimp with spatula.
Make slaw by literally just dumping a 14 oz bag of store-bought cabbage slaw, cilantro, salt and almost all of the taco sauce. I like to reserve some of the dressing for drizzling on shrimp tacos. But you dont have to. Just looks good and tastes better!
Reserve some of the shrimp taco sauce for drizzling on the finished shrimp taco recipe this adds extra creaminess and gives it a restaurant-worthy presentation quality!
Recommended Reading: Store Bought Keto Teriyaki Sauce