How To Make Homemade Alfredo Sauce With Milk
- 1 lb box of fettuccine noodles, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Â½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of milk
- Â½ to Â¾ a cup of grated Parmesan cheese or a parmesan cheese blend
To make the Alfredo sauce:
How To Thicken Homemade Alfredo Sauce
They key to thickening Homemade Alfredo Sauce is to simmer it until it reaches the desired consistency. Cream will gradually thicken as you cook it. To test for doneness, you can dip a spoon into the sauce and if it coats the back of the spoon, its ready.
Just keep in mind two things:
The more you cook this recipe, the more youll start to recognize the best consistency. I can tell just by how the sauce feels as Im stirring it.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
To make this American-style Alfredo sauce recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter: Or you could also substitute olive oil, if you prefer.
- Garlic: Finely-minced or pressed.
- All-purpose flour: To help form a roux and thicken the sauce. If you are making gluten-free Alfredo sauce, however, you are welcome to omit the flour and have a slightly thinner sauce. Or you can use a cornstarch slurry to thicken it .
- Heavy cream and milk: We will use this blend as the base for our sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend freshly-grating your Parmesan cheese so that it will melt more smoothly into the sauce. Also, grated Parmesan cheese can be tricky to measure correctly simply with a measuring cup, so I recommend using a kitchen scale if you own one.
- Sea salt and white pepper: I like to use fine sea salt and white pepper to season this sauce. If you are new to cooking with white pepper, please note that it has a slightly different flavor and is significantly more potent than black pepper, so you do not need to use as much. That said, if you only have black pepper in the house, that will work too.
- Ground nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg is typically used in American-style Alfredo, but you can omit this if you prefer.
Recommended Reading: Does Mcdonalds Sell Big Mac Sauce
Other Sauce Recipes You May Enjoy
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce A classic spicy sauce with a secret ingredient!
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Another easy homemade sauce just like the restaurants that you can make at home.
- Boom Sauce A great all-purpose fry dip as well as burger and sandwich sauce.
Hope you enjoy this authentic from scratch Homemade Alfredo Sauce recipe! Tell me in the comments what you thought!
Can You Freeze It
Absolutely! First, let it cool completely before refrigerating. Once cooled, transfer it into airtight containers or closed lidded jar.
Please note, that skin will form on the surface after a while, which will thicken its consistency. This is totally normal. Simply shake or mix with a fork before consuming.
Also Check: Can I Have Cocktail Sauce On Keto
Ways To Use This Easy Alfredo Sauce
What to do with your cheesy Alfredo sauce? Oh, let me count the ways. You can toss it with pasta, bien sur. Use fettuccine if you’re craving fettuccine alfredo, or elbows if you want mac and cheese. The sauce is also great spooned over steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, fish and other seafood, or chicken.
I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. Good thing I still have a few jars stashed away in my fridge. Happy cooking, everyone!
Creamy Cheesy And Comforting: This Easy Alfredo Sauce Is Everything You Want In A Pasta Sauce
Growing up, pasta was my familys go-to option for easy weeknight dinners, but we never really made anything from scratch. I know an easy Alfredo sauce only takes a few minutes to pull together, but we were more of a box of pasta, jar of sauce and a vegetable side dish kind of family.
Then, when I went to culinary school, I learned that a classic Alfredo sauce is nothing more than butter, cream, garlic and Parmesan cheese.
You dont even need the jar of sauce! This Alfredo sauce recipe is simple and creates a creamy, cheesy and super flavorful sauce that comes together in a flash. It almost takes longer to cook the pasta than the sauce. Dont believe me? Read on to learn how to make Alfredo sauce thats restaurant-worthy.
You May Like: How To Make The Best Barbecue Sauce
How To Make Homemade Creamy Garlic Alfredo Sauce
Its creamy easy to make this homemade creamy garlic sauce. Like we mentioned above, we created this recipe using milk with flour to thicken the sauce. Grated parmesan cheese also thickens the sauce as well. If you want to use heavy cream, you can totally do that! Just eliminate the flour part and add the heavy cream to replace the milk. This sauce is perfect for fettuccine alfredo or with your favorite pasta. Watch our step-by-step photos below to guide you through the process. All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Check out all our variations of Fettuccine Alfredo Recipes:
How To Make Alfredo Sauce From Scratch:
Before I dive into the instructions, Id like to go over a few items that could be extremely useful. A good pot or deep pan is a great start. Also be sure to have a whisk on hand. You will be doing a lot of stirring during the cooking process and do not want the cream and cheese to separate.
TIP: If you are using a coated pan opt for a silicone coated whisk to avoid any damage to the surface.
Recommended Reading: Best Way To Get Tomato Sauce Out Of Clothes
Creamy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Go-to comfort food dishes, anyone? Ive got a number of them to choose from on any given night, but Homemade Alfredo Sauce served over a bowl of pasta is always a front-runner in this family!
This creamy sauce may sound like quite a bit of work, but it actually only takes about 15 minutes to make, tops. After that, all you have to do is toss it with some pasta, and dinner is served!
To say this easy pasta dish is a crowd-pleaser would be a massive understatement just in case you were mulling over what to make for dinner tonight.
Faqs About Scratch Alfredo Sauce
Q: What is Alfredo Sauce made of?
A: To make a basic Alfredo sauce from scratch, you just need heavy cream, butter, and Parmesan cheese. Then, season with garlic and salt and pepper.
Q: Does Alfredo sauce contain gluten? What about dairy?
A: None of the ingredients in this scratch Alfredo sauce contain gluten, so its a gluten-free recipe! Some homemade Alfredo sauce recipes made be made using flour to form a roux. In that case, any recipes using flower would not be a gluten-free Alfredo sauce.
Alfredo sauce is nearly entirely dairy ingredients. Anyone with a dairy allergy should not have Alfredo sauce.
Q: How do I store Homemade Alfredo Sauce?
A: Keep your homemade Alfredo sauce stored in an air-tight container in the fridge. It should be used up with 4-5 days from when you make a fresh batch of Alfredo sauce from scratch.
Want another amazing from-scratch recipe? Hop on over to see our Easy Pizza Sauce recipe next!
HEAD OVER TO SEE EVEN MORE FAST AND EASY Breakfast RECIPES THAT WILL BE AN AMAZING PART OF YOUR RECIPE COLLECTION!
- Try this flavorful Potato Kielbasa Skillet thats certain to wow your taste buds.
- Dont forget to give this simple Crockpot Swedish Meatballs recipe a try!
- If you love this fun recipe, youll love Pizza Pasta Bake as a go-to dinner recipe.
CONNECT WITH A MOMS TAKE ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL CHANNEL FOR MORE RECIPES!
You can find us on:
Don’t Miss: How To Make Ramen Sauce
Which Other Recipes Can I Use With This Pasta Sauce
This easy recipe makes a very generous portion of Alfredo sauce but uses the entire brick of cream cheese. Even if you don’t think you need all the sauce for one meal, go ahead and make the full recipe.
You can use leftover sauce in:
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Casserole
- Ham and Peas Pasta Alfredo
- Chicken Alfredo Rice Casserole
If youve tried this easy homemade alfredo sauce with cream cheese or any other recipe onPeanutBlossom.com please dont forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you!FOLLOW along on Instagram as well as on and .
Why This Recipe Works:
- Only four ingredients are needed
- The garlic is cooked low and slow into the butter to really infuse the incredible flavor into every bite
- The infused garlic will also turn a beautiful golden brown and give your finished alfredo sauce a gorgeous color
- This recipe will make enough sauce for one pound of dried pasta and the recipe can easily be doubled if you need more
Don’t Miss: World’s Best Pasta Sauce
What Goes Good With Chicken Alfredo
Grilled chicken strips are perfect with chicken alfredo, but you can also use shredded chicken pieces from a rotisserie chicken as Ive done in mine. Quick and simple alternative. Try adding meatballs for another variation with your alfredo sauce. Try adding bacon crumbles too. More variations could be cooked shrimp, add some vegetables such as asparagus and broccoli.
How Do You Make Homemade Alfredo Sauce
All you need is six ingredients, plus some salt, pepper and fresh parsley for garnish. It all starts with olive oil, butter, and fresh minced garlic. When a dish starts with those three things, you know its going to be good.
Next, you whisk in heavy cream and lemon zest and let it thicken just a bit. Then stir in Parmesan cheese and season with salt & pepper. The last step is to stir in your cooked Penne pasta and garnish with chopped, fresh parsley.
This quickly became a family favorite and I swear it gets better and better every time I make it.
Read Also: Noble Made Classic Bbq Sauce
Tips On Selecting Ingredients
Alfredo sauce only contains a handful of ingredients. Everything counts, but the cheese is really the most important factor to making this sauce shine. Its really important to opt for the highest-quality cheese you can afford.
In addition to Parmesan cheese, we added Romano cheese to our recipe. It has a sharp, slightly tangy flavor that adds a level of depth to the sauce. If you just want to use one cheese for simplicity, go ahead and use Parmigiano Reggiano. Its made in Italy and has a deep, rich, nutty flavor. The cheese labeled Parmesan isnt authentic. It might have a similar flavor, but its saltier and more acidic than the real deal.
No matter what you cheese choose, try to avoid the pre-grated stuff. It doesnt melt as well, and it may contain anti-clumping agents like plant cellulose.
When it comes to cream, stick with heavy cream. We knowits not super healthybut using it is the only way to get Alfredo sauce to thicken naturally. If you swap in half-and-half or milk, youll need to add flour or cornstarch to get it thick enough to coat the noodles.
Tips For Making Easy Alfredo Sauce
People are often intimidated and unsure how to make Alfredo sauce. This is an easy recipe, but here are some tips for first-timer success!
- When you first start whisking the warm milk into the roux, it will clump up and look an awful lot like you’ve made a horrible mistake. Never fear — those clumps will thin out as you continue adding the milk. First, they’ll take on the consistency of mashed potatoes, then pureed cauliflower, and then a sauce. Just keep calm and carry on adding the milk a little at a time while whisking.
- Also, don’t wait for the milk to thicken up completely before adding the cheese since the cheese will thicken it even more. You want to add the cheese just at the point when the milk is thick enough to coat the spoon and the sides of the pan in a thick milky layer. If you’re starting to wonder if it’s time to add the cheese, it probably is.
- If the sauce seems too thin after you’ve added the cheese, just let it simmer for a few more minutes on low heat until it’s as thick as you like. Conversely, if the sauce seems too thick , just whisk in a splash of milk, broth, or water to thin it out again.
- Don’t limit yourself to just using Parmesan for this Alfredo sauce recipe. You can really use any cheese you like — cheddar, Swiss, gruyere, gouda… You get the idea. Use the best quality, and best tasting, cheese you can find. It’s the main ingredient, so it makes a big difference in the tastiness of your finished sauce.
You May Like: No Salt Added Spaghetti Sauce
Equipment You May Need
- Medium Sauce Pan I used a medium saucepan but you can use a large skillet if youd like so you can add other ingredients like pasta, chicken, etc.
- Whisk A good quality whisk will really come in handy for this sauce.
- Rotary Cheese Grater I like to use a rotary cheese grater but you could also use a handheld grater, box grater, or even a food processor.
- Garlic Press You can mince the garlic with a knife or a garlic press is a great idea.
Only 4 easy ingredients in this easy homemade Italian sauce! PLEASE dont substitute the 4 main ingredients or you could have very different results.
What Good Stuff Can You Add To The Alfredo Sauce
Everyone seems to have their favorite add-ins when it comes to Alfredo sauce. I love it so much I will eat it any way I can get it.
Some people love to add grilled chicken and broccoli. Some people love to add crispy bacon and mushrooms.
Some people just love to smother their pasta with a rich and creamy alfredo sauce that clings to the pasta and is sprinkled with a little extra cheese on top.
No matter how you like your Fettuccine Alfredo you are going to love this easy Alfredo sauce that is silky smooth and full of flavor.
If you love easy & amazing recipes join the Flour On My Face Newsletter and get each of my new recipes delivered right to your inbox.
Homemade Fettuccine Alfredo
Recommended Reading: Sauce Toss Vs Hockey Sauce
How Do You Reheat Leftover Alfredo Sauce
Creamy sauces have a tendency to break when reheated. To prevent this, warm up the sauce slowly and gently over low heat. If you do find that your sauce breaks, dont worry! It can still be saved. Add more cheese, butter, and cream as needed and whisk until the sauce comes together again. If you find that youve added a lot more cheese, butter, and cream, it may have dulled down the flavor. In this case, taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed.
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce
Here are the steps of how to make this sauce.
How long to cook spaghetti sauce? Similar to a beef stew, the longer the sauce cooks, the deeper the flavors. If youre in a pinch for time, you can certainly get away with cooking it for a short time, but you really want the sauce to simmer for at least 1 hour, and ideally 4.
Read Also: Low Sodium Pasta Sauce Brands