How To Make Bbq Sauce
Chapter 2: Introduction
Nothing beats a good barbeque without its essential component which is the sauce. The taste of the meat cannot be fully appreciated unless a mixture of flavors has been added to the cooked meat. The secret behind a great tasting barbeque is the amount of herbs and spices combined together to make basting material, with an attitude.
Some of us are fond of holding parties at home and the most exciting and fun way to party is to have a night in the backyard pool and enjoy several kinds of barbequed, grilled goodies. The quality of the sauce used in creating barbeque dishes greatly impacts the outcome of the food in general. Knowing how to make a good BBQ sauce can definitely help your party guests enjoy your backyard culinary creations and get lots of compliments in return.
Donât Miss: Rao Sauce Where To Buy
How To Make The Best Bbq Sauce
First The Basics Of Bbq Sauce
You can make pretty much any sauce using one of two methods. Method one involves taking something thick — like a premade powder or the burnt stuff at the bottom of the pan — and add fluids to it until its thin enough. The other method involves taking something thin and cooking it to reduce out the water until its thick enough to call a sauce.
You can, technically make barbecue sauce using method one, but if you do that the barbecue police will come to your house and beat you with Texas and Louisiana state flags. Dont do that. Use method two.
Now that we’ve got that sorted, it’s time to think about how you want your soon-to-be-famous sauce to taste. Keep in mind this is for a classic red barbecue sauce. If you want to get fancy, there are other options, but well start here. Its what most people think when they think barbecue.
A solid barbecue sauce is made up of six parts.
1. Something sweet. This can be honey, cola, molasses, preserves, brown sugar, or syrup. This caramelizes as you cook, brining those smoky, sugary flavors. This will make up about 1/2 of your core ingredients, depending on what you use.
2. Something tangy. Think vinegar, mustard, citrus, or citrus preserves. This is what brings the zing to your sauce, and makes up about 1/4 of your core ingredients.
One last thing: While its cooking, keep about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and your salt shaker nearby. Taste-test every 10 minutes or so , and add some pinches of one or the other if it tastes off.
Recommended Reading: Is Ragu Classic Alfredo Gluten-free
How Can I Add Smoky Flavor
If you like smoky BBQ sauce, you can double the amount of smoked paprika and/or add 1 or 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke along with the other ingredients. I left the liquid smoke out of the main recipe because I wanted to keep it simple, since liquid smoke is an ingredient that you may not have on hand.
Can You Add Vinegar To Sweet Baby Rays Bbq Sauce
Can I Add Vinegar To Sweet Baby Rays? The mixture is mixed smoothly by adding Coca-Cola, Sweet Baby Rays Original Barbecue Sauce, a combination of steak sauce and ketchup, ketchup, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar to it. Once the meat is well coated, melt the butter mixture.
Did Jack Daniels stop making BBQ sauce?
Jack Daniel was known far and wide for his annual summer BBQs. Of course the secret ingredient back then was Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey. Today, were continuing that fine tradition with our new line of authentic Jack Daniels BBQ sauce in a handsome glass bottle.
How much whiskey is in Jack Daniels BBQ sauce?
How Much Whiskey Is In Jack DanielS Bbq Sauce? Add 1 1/2 cups Jack Daniels, 1 1/2 cups onion, and 1 clove of garlic to a large sauce pan. The onions should have become translucent after about 7 minutes of cooking. Until the 2 tablespoons of Jack Daniels whiskey is incorporated, stir in all remaining ingredients.
You May Like: Can You Buy Chick Fil A Honey Roasted Bbq Sauce
Also Check: Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce Ragu
The Steps To Bottling And Selling Your Own Bbq Sauce
If you have a barbecue sauce recipe you love, how do you actually get it bottled and sold?
Go Behind the Smoke with Shawn Walchef as he digs into what it takes to create and bottle your own barbecue sauce.
Our Cali BBQ Media video captures a conversation between Cali BBQ culinary director Gene Goycochea and Steve Miller, owner of Miller & Son BBQ Sauce Brewing Co., about bottling and selling BBQ sauce.
Steve Miller brews his craft BBQ sauce from the Rock Creek Lakes Resort. After starting small and learning the ropes, his small-batch sauce and spice rub company now has products in more than 30 shops.
Selling BBQ sauce is never easy. In fact, its notoriously difficult.
Watch the Cali BBQ Media video to learn about how Steve Miller and Cali BBQ had to work hard to get their brands sauces bottled.
Making our Cali Comfort BBQ sauces was a pain in the ass. Theres nothing easy about bottling BBQ sauce for sale.
There are a few basic steps to first consider when attempting to make and bottle your own barbecue sauce.
Step 1: The Recipe
You should first make a BBQ sauce that will knock peoples socks off.
Make sure youre proud of your recipe before you rush to bottle it. Chances are if youve made it this far, youve already mastered this step!
Step 2: The Bottle
Steve Miller bottles his small-batch BBQ sauce with his own hands.
Then he has custom-made labels that he attaches to the bottles.
As we say at Cali BBQ Media: Remember your ABBs. ABB stands for Always Be Branding.
What Makes A Good Sauce
It depends where you come from, some prefer tang from vinegar and others prefer some heat or more mustard. Then others just like that sweet tasting sugar hit over everything.
So I say why dont we combine the lot?
When I went about creating this BBQ sauce, I wanted something that stood out from the crowd. Yes, I wanted that sweetness I come to expect from most BBQ sauces but I also wanted to have that extra layer of tang in the flavor profile.
Last but not least I wanted a nice little but of heat at the end. Nothing to burn my throat, just enough to make me sit up and pay attention.
So after a few batches were made and tweaked, we now have what all my family and friends refer to as Schueys Sauce. By all means, it can now be yours and you can adjust the flavors quite easily to accommodate your taste.
Read Also: How To Make Alfredo With Ragu Sauce
Read Also: Freddy’s Burger Seasoning Recipe
Stone House Seasoning Ingredients
- Kosher Salt Kosher salt is the preferred salt in this recipe. When testing, I tested using regular table salt as well as sea salt, but found that I greatly preferred the kosher salt in this recipe. If you substitute with another salt, please be sure to consult salt conversions and realize that it is not a 1 to 1 ratio with kosher salt.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper I prefer to use my own freshly ground black pepper in my seasoning blend, but you can of course use store-bought ground black pepper for this recipe as well.
- Granulated Garlic while I prefer to use granulated garlic in this recipe, if you are in a pinch and only have garlic powder, you can use it as well. The flavor will change slightly, but it will still work. I provide the amount in the recipe below.
It only takes a few moments to blend together the salt, pepper, and garlic but saves so much time in the long run!
Just add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir until well combined. Then, transfer to an airtight spice jar or divide into multiple spice jars if youd like to share with friends and family!
Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe
|*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our classic, homemade BBQ sauce is sweet, tangy, and smoky, making it the perfect sauce to brush over ribs, brisket, chicken, or chops. The simple list of ingredients makes it a fast preparation and it’s ready in about 25 minutes, start to finish.
Barbecue sauce isn’t just for brushing on ribs, chicken, or beef. Serve it as a dip for chicken wings or nuggets, onion rings, fries, or meatballs. It’s also an excellent sauce option for sandwiches, pizza, burgers, pulled pork, and tacos. Or drizzle homemade sauce over a grilled or BBQ chicken salad or steak salad.
BBQ sauce keeps well, and you’ll want to have a jar ready to go in your fridge at all times. Luckily, it’s quick and easy to make and tastes so much better than the bottled stuff.
This BBQ sauce is smoky, tangy and flavorful with just enough sweetness to create that perfect balance. Its so easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. I used it for some BBQ cauliflower wings and it was a hit!Bahareh Niati
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Store And Freeze Barbecue Sauce
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Since it is not loaded with preservatives, homemade barbecue sauce will go bad faster than store bought barbecue sauce.
- To Freeze. Yes, you can freeze barbecue sauce! Place the sauce in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
How To Make Homemade Bbq Sauce:
1. Combine ingredients. Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and mix together until smooth.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or up to one hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools.
3. Serve. Slather this stuff on just about anything or store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Double it? I love to make this sauce and keep it in the fridge for several weeks. Depending on your family size you could double the recipe to make a bigger batch. Its delicious for dipping/marinating grilled chicken, spooning on hamburgers or ribs, or dipping as a sauce. Its my go-to when I dont have a dinner plan.
- water as needed for thinning
Recommended Reading: Rao’s Alfredo Sauce Costco
How To Make Barbecue Sauce From Scratch
Full recipe with detailed steps in the recipe card at the end of this post.
You might notice that the sauce smells a little vinegary when bubbling in the pan, but the vinegar smell and taste mellows beautifully as the sauce cools
Spicy Mustard Bbq Sauce
For as long as I remember, Ive always loved my Mamas Coca-Cola BBQ sauce. It is what I grew up on her chicken, meatloaf and so many other dishes. But then, on a trip to South Carolina after my husband and I were married, I ventured over into the other side of BBQ sauces away from the red and sweet to the yellowish orange and tangy. While I wont say that it replaced the BBQ sauce that Ive loved since I was a little girl, I readily admit that when I now love to make all sorts of BBQ sauces at my house depending on what Im planning to serve. I also like to make a selection so that guests have an option.
If you are looking for another BBQ sauce to add to your line up for an upcoming party or just to try something a little different from your usual sauce that you serve, you might want to make this to try as an option. It is one that I certainly enjoy!
Heres my Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Also Check: Texas Pete Chili Sauce Walmart
How Do You Make Homemade Bbq Sauce
This barbecue sauce starts with ketchup as the base. Look for ketchup that is organic or conventional ketchup that is not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. The ketchup is combined with apple cider vinegar, an array of spices, a dash of hot sauce and brown sugar to make up this intensely flavored condiment. All you have to do is throw everything in the pan, let it simmer for a bit, and youre done!
Adaptable Homemade Barbecue Sauce
The beauty of this sauce base is that you can change it if youre in the mood. You can use brown sugar or molasses instead of honey, you can use Dijon mustard instead of the regular yellow mustard, you can use tomato sauce for some of the ketchup, there are lots of ways to vary the base. And then you get to add other ingredients to deepen it more, things like Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, or smoked paprika, or all of the above! Really the options are endless. Soooo good. Youre going to love making this easy staple and doctoring it up in new ways.
The reason this simple sauce works is because of the flavor balance. You have salty and sweet flavors in the ketchup, more sweet from the honey and then a good tang from the mustard. Its also great because the sugar content in the sauce makes it caramelize on food when its cooking.
Read Also: Is Tomatoes Good For Gout
Key Ingredients In This Recipe
- Ketchup The base of my BBQ sauce recipe is ketchup which adds body and provides a bold flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar The addition of apple cider vinegar helps to thin this sauce as well as balance the sweeter elements. It adds a tangy flavor without overpowering the sauce like white vinegar would.
- Brown sugar Brown sugar is added as a sweetener to this sauce. The sauce is simmered until the sugar dissolves.
- Worcestershire The fermented condiment adds depth of flavor and a bit of salt to the recipe. Worcestershire is made from a mix of vinegar, molasses, anchovies, garlic, tamarind extract and chili pepper.
- Molasses While some recipes use either brown sugar or molasses to develop the sweet flavor, I use both. I love the honey-like texture and complex flavor it adds.
- Dijon While some BBQ sauces focus heavily on mustard, it is a background ingredient, used to add depth of flavor and balance the sweetness.
- Spices I use a combination of black pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder with a touch of cumin and cayenne to add flavor to this BBQ sauce recipe.
Easy Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe
How to make the best easy homemade BBQ Sauce from scratch! This is the BEST BBQ Sauce recipe and it only takes 15 minutes to make!
Barbecue sauce is hands down my favorite condiment. I always ask for a side of BBQ sauce when I order a burger at a restaurant. Is there anything better than the tangy, sweet, smokey, spicy taste of BBQ Sauce? When it comes to condiments, I think not. And even though I make tons of my own sauces from scratch, I never make my own BBQ sauce! If I had known how easy it was, I would have started making homemade BBQ sauce a long time ago.
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Walmart
You May Like: What Is Rao’s Sauce
Ways To Use Bbq Sauce:
There are so many great ways to put a batch of homemade BBQ sauce to delicious use! Some of our faves include:
- Traditional bbq meat: Grilled or pulled chicken, pulled pork, ribs, burnt ends, etc.
- Baked beans: BBQ sauce is a simple and delicious way to flavor a batch of baked beans.
- Burgers: Use it as a spread on your favorite burgers.
- Pizzas: Use it in place of pizza sauce.
- Soups/salads: Mix it into broths to flavor soups, or use the sauce as a dressing for your salad.
- Tacos/quesadillas/burritos: BBQ sauce is a great way to give your favorite Mexican dishes a different twist.
- Dipping sauce: And of course, its always a great dipping sauce for everything from chicken nuggets to veggie sticks to cocktail meatballs and more!
Is Bbq Sauce Healthy
The first ingredient in store-bought BBQ sauce, lets take the most popular Sweet Baby Rays, is high fructose corn syrup. If its #1 on the label, it also means thats what is mostly in that bottle. Do you see where Im going with this? Any store-bought BBQ sauce is 98% GMO processed sugar with a sprinkle of spices, liquid smoke, caramel colour and preservatives.
If you make my homemade BBQ sauce, you are eating mostly tomato paste with applesauce, spices and a sprinkle of unrefined sugar. It contains 4 times less sugar and 2.5 times less sodium than store-bought.
Recommended Reading: Raos Sauce Costco
How Store Homemade Bbq Sauce
While store bought barbecue sauces will usually have preservatives in them that allow you to keep them in your fridge for months, homemade sauces dont quite have the same shelf life.
Your best bet is to allow your sauce to cool slightly before pouring it into a clean, tight fitting jar to store in your fridge.
Thanks to the preservative properties in vinegar, salt and sugar you should be fine to store your bbq sauce for several weeks, potentially up to a few months.