How Long Does Homemade Buffalo Sauce Keep In The Fridge
This homemade buffalo sauce recipe should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. So if you arent making your buffalo wings right away, or if you just have extra buffalo wing sauce, you can keep it for up to 1 week.
Now that you know how to make buffalo sauce, you can start making this Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe for all of your buffalo wings and buffalo chicken inspired recipes. Youre going to love the simple and hot flavor of this buffalo wing sauce!
See recipe card below for details on how to make buffalo sauce at home. Enjoy!
If you like this buffalo sauce recipe, try some of my other favorite sauces and dips:
How Long Is Wing Sauce Good For
If you can, its best to use this sauce as soon as its made. However, if making it in advance, be sure to store it in a microwave-safe container. The reason for this is that the butter in the sauce may separate and harden along the top of the sauce once chilled. If this happens, all you need to do is microwave the sauce for 20 seconds, stir, and then repeat as necessary.
When stored as directed above, wing sauce should remain good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Whats The Spice Level
As written, this recipe is moderately spicymedium, mild. Its tangy with a spicy kick at the end, but its not overpowering.
The beauty of making this sauce from scratch is that you can easily adjust the spice level to fit your needs.
If you want it less spicy, add less hot sauce to the butter. In this case, Id recommend starting with 1/2 cup hot sauce and working your way up as you taste test.
Looking for even more spice? Add in cayenne pepper or additional hot sauce.
Remember, you can always taste test and adjust the spice level as needed, just start with less and work your way up.
What if you added too much spice? Melt in a couple of tablespoons of additional butter to mellow it out a bit. Easy aswell, easy as making homemade buffalo sauce!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Velveeta Cheese Sauce
Tips For The Best Wings
- Gather all the ingredients before cooking. Ensuring everything you need is within reach will speed up the cooking process.
- Make sure the wings are dry so that they crisp up nicely. After washing, pat them dry with a piece of dry cloth.
- For even more flavor, bake the wings again after coating for about 10 minutes. The sauce caramelizes during baking, making the wings a hundred times more delightful.
- Adjust the heat by adding your choice of seasonings.
- Dredge the wings lightly with baking powder or flour before baking for crisper skins. Dont worry, the wings wont taste starchy at all.
- Bake the wings on a rack so that the fat from the chicken is drained properly. If the fat has nowhere to go, it stays in the pan and prevents the skin from crisping up.
- Instead of baking, you can also deep-fry the wings at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- For a sweeter sauce, throw in a bit of honey into the mix.
- Do not reheat leftover wings in the microwave as they get too mushy. Instead, bake them in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes. Dont go beyond that or theyll turn rubbery.
Better Than Store Bought
Sure, you can purchase Buffalo sauce from the store, pre-made, but this is fresher and tastier and DANG if it isnt CRAZY good. I was lucky enough to visit the original Anchor Bar in New York, and this is the real deal sauce.
Of course I personally like to REALLY spice mine up with ghost powder, but you really dont have to. Thats a bit crazy, and I dont always use it, but sometimes I want REALLY SPICY.
Sometimes I just want it awesome like it is on its own, as you will see below. Ghost pepper flakes = optional.
Im serious! Only if you like it REALLY spicy.
You May Like: Gluten Free Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
Ingredients To Make Homemade Buffalo Sauce
All you need is five ingredients to make this easy homemade buffalo sauce.
- Franks Red Hot Original Sauce: We swear by using Franks original sauce as the base for this recipe because it is made simply from dried cayenne red peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, and garlic powder
- Ghee: This wonder ingredient is simply clarified butter, where all of the impurities and milk solids in butter have been strained out. Using ghee makes for a nice clear buffalo sauce that is cleaned up and less greasy. We like the Organic Valley Ghee, or you can check out our recipe for how to make homemade ghee
- Coconut Aminos: You can use low-sodium soy sauce, shoyu, or tamari however, for gluten-free, sodium sensitivity, or Whole30, we do recommend using coconut aminos since it is lower in sodium and made from just two ingredients
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Or you can use distilled white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Garlic Powder: This helps create that familiar garlic flavor undertone in buffalo sauce
- Cayenne Pepper: This ingredient is optional, but if you want to get the spiciest kick in your buffalo sauce, be sure to include it
How To Make Frank’s Redhot Buffalo Wings Nachos
Toss chicken and FRANKS RedHot Buffalo Wings Sauce to coat. ARRANGE chips on large shallow baking pan or pizza pan. Layer with chicken mixture and cheese. BAKE 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve with desired toppings, such as sour cream, salsa, guacamole, sliced black olives or sliced jalapeños.
Recommended Reading: What Is Mcdonald’s Special Sauce
Whats The Difference Between Buffalo Sauce And Hot Sauce
Some people confuse hot sauce with Buffalo sauce. You can use them interchangeably, based on your own flavor preferences. However, they are different because of the butter. Buffalo sauce tends to be thicker and smoother than hot sauce. Its more silky in texture from the butter addition. Richer, too.
Some use oil instead of butter. This is why this homemade Buffalo sauce recipe is so much better.
Whisk in that butter, my friends! And other ingredients, of course. For the flavor.
Most people consider it a buffalo wing sauce only, though you can use it to spice up many different foods. Try buffalo chicken dip. Such a great recipe.
Whats In Buffalo Sauce
Buffalo wing sauce can be made with a simple combination of just two ingredients: hot sauce and butter. The only hot sauce I recommend for homemade buffalo sauce is Franks RedHot Original Cayenne Hot Sauce.
Usually made with a ratio of 2 parts hot sauce to 1 part butter, some recipes are made with additional ingredients including garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, white vinegar, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
For a sweeter wing sauce, try adding a little honey or maple syrup.
You May Like: Famous Dave’s Texas Pit Bbq Sauce
How To Adjust The Spice Level In Buffalo Wing Sauce
Heat tolerance can vary per person, so its important totailor this recipe to exactly what you want. To make the sauce spicier, simplydouble the cayenne pepper included.
If you prefer a milder version of this recipe, you can halfthe amount of cayenne pepper used. You can even omit it if you prefer. Thiswill minimally affect the taste of the sauce and help you lower that spicelevel.
How Do You Make Buffalo Sauce Vegan
To make a vegan and gluten-free buffalo sauce you need to use vegan butter instead of dairy and vegan Worcestershire sauce.
Once you have those two ingredient substitutes, you can make your own buffalo sauce.
Recommended Reading: Pizza With Sauce On Top
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
Hot Sauce: In order to make the buffalo sauce, you need the perfect Hot Sauce to start a solid base.
Butter: Grab 1 stick of butter do NOT substitute with margarine, it is not the same. When using butter for this recipe, you also want to make sure your butter is hot. If it is not hot, it will not mix together well.
Honey:Honey helps the sauce get thick and sticky perfectly to your wings.
Brown Sugar:Brown Sugar does the opposite of what you may think. It does not make your sauce sweet, instead, it balances some of the acidity.
Ingredients For Buffalo Sauce Recipe
Just a few ingredients make up this incredible homemade buffalo sauce. Do not skimp on the butter, it is meant to be in there.
- Franks Hot Sauce: Every good buffalo sauce starts with a good hot sauce, use your favorite.
- Butter: Adds the richness and depth you want in a buffalo sauce.
- White Vinegar: Adds a bit of acidity for impeccable flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: You want to use this for a perfect umami flavor.
- Cayenne: More heat.
- Garlic: Adds flavor besides heat.
You May Like: Cattlemen’s Smoky Bbq Sauce
What Is Buffalo Sauce
Yes, there is a difference between buffalo sauce and hot sauce. Hot sauce is basically just hot peppers, salt, and vinegar. Add some whisked melted butter to your hot sauce, and you have created buffalo sauce.
Buffalo sauce is smoother than hot sauce, and I find it to have a way richer flavor. The butter creates a spicy and silky sauce that tastes restaurant quality, but at home!
Fun fact: if you buy buffalo sauce at the store, it is usually made with oil. Homemade it is made with melted butter. Thats why it tastes so darn good!
Delicious Ways To Enjoy Homemade Whole30 Buffalo Sauce
In addition to using our easy Whole30 Homemade Buffalo Sauce in recipes like those shown above, we also love to enjoy this pungent, spice-forward sauce over
- roasted vegetables and sautéed greens
- grilled meats and shredded chicken
- scrambled eggs and egg salad
- baked sweet potatoes and oven fries
- stirred into our Ranch Dressing for an awesome dairy-free dip
Recommended Reading: Is Ragu Alfredo Sauce Gluten Free
Tips For The Best Buffalo Sauce
There are several variations of buffalo sauce out there. Some only use the hot sauce and butter. I prefer this homemade recipe that rounds out the flavors better and creates a beautiful rich deep sauce.
- Franks Hot Sauce: It is highly touted everywhere that this is the only hot sauce you should use to make Buffalo sauce. It is even said that the original buffalo sauce that originated in Buffalo NY, was made with Franks. Whether that is true or not, you cannot go wrong with Franks. It is the perfect hot sauce to create this buffalo sauce with. If you have a different hot sauce that you love, by all means use it. If you are not sure what to use, go with Franks.
- Control The Heat: Everyone has their different tolerance for heat. If you want it spicer double or even triple the cayenne pepper. If you want it more mild, reduce or eliminate the cayenne all together. Adjusting the cayenne is how you will control the heat.
- Add Sweet Heat: If you want more of a sweet buffalo sauce, try adding honey to the recipe. It adds flavor and a touch of sweet. Start with a teaspoon or two and add more to taste.
Why Do They Call It Buffalo Sauce
The name has nothing to do with buffalos! The sauce was invented in 1964 by a family-owned business called Anchor bar located in Buffalo, New York.
While the original buffalo sauce has never been published, we know for sure that buffalo sauce is specifically made with Franks Red Hot Original sauce. I have made it so many times, and heres the closest recipe to what you can get at a NY sports bar.
Read Also: How To Remove Spaghetti Sauce From Clothes
What Are The Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
Buffalo Sauce is a simple recipe and it only contains a few ingredients. While people may switch things up and get creative, typically all buffalo wing sauce will consist of the following.
Buffalo Sauce Ingredients:
- Hot Sauce
- Melted butter
Im also adding in dark brown sugar for a hint of sweetness, and you can add in Tabasco sauce for a bit more heat if you prefer.
Whats To Love About This Recipe
- Its super simple! Combing the ingredients is all there is to it! It takes less than five minutes to prepare, requires just eight ingredients and very few kitchen items, and no special tools. If that doesnt convince you to make it rather than purchasing the less than desirable store bought stuff, I dont know what will.
- Its made with fresh unprocessed ingredients and no added sugar! One of the things that really irks me about bottled dressings is that nearly all of them contain sugar and often times lots of it. Why!?! Making it yourself means you can leave out the unnecessary added sugar and use fresh unprocessed ingredients. It not only tastes better this way but is much healthier.
- There are so many uses for it! As I mentioned above, here in the Midwest we put ranch on everything. If I could get away with it, Id probably just drink it. You can use it as a dip, as a dressing, and incorporate it into casseroles, among other things.
Recommended Reading: Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Chili Sauce
How To Make This Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Combine the Franks Red Hot sauce, butter, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder into a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Whisk frequently.
You can use another kind of hot sauce if you prefer something to Franks, but I personally recommend Franks Red Hot to get the best desired taste.
STEP TWO: Allow mixture to come to a simmer. The butter should be completely melted. This takes about 5 minutes. Taste the sauce and add salt as needed.
STEP THREE: Take off the heat and allow itto cool. The sauce will start to thicken as it cools.
How Do You Thicken Buffalo Sauce
The main thickening agent in buffalo sauce is butter. The milk fat and solids help to create an emulsion that clings to foods. You just need to gradually whisk in the butter piece by piece after simmering the hot sauce mixture. This ensures that the fat is properly incorporated into the liquid so the oil doesnt separate leaving a greasy unappealing sauce.
Pin this recipe to save for later
You May Like: Making Chicken Alfredo With Bertolli Alfredo Sauce
Creating A Cozy Life Group
Since you clicked on this post for how to make buffalo sauce from scratch, Im guessing you like all things cozy living. I created a Facebook group called Creating a Cozy Life with over 43,000 like-minded souls.
Its a group where we share recipes, pictures of things that leave you in awe, and ideas on how to make your life just a little bit more snug. Join here to be part of the virtual cozy cabin.
How To Make Buffalo Sauce With Tabasco
Learn How to Make Buffalo Sauce to make your buffalo wings even tastier! This Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe is super easy and quick to make. Its hot and tasty, and its going to take your buffalo wings to the next level. You can also use this delicious buffalo wing sauce on other recipes, or use it as a dip for your favorite appetizers!
Also Check: Herr’s Hot Sauce Chips
How To Make Buffalo Wing Sauce:
To get started, melt a half stick of unsalted butter in a saucepan:
You can also melt it in the microwave instead, if thats easier for you.
Next add Franks, and the exact one you want is Franks Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce.
They sell quite a few varieties, but its this original one that you want in particular:
Next add worcestershire sauce. Only a little bit is needed:
Then add ground cayenne pepper to the buffalo sauce:
When you want more heat, always add more ground cayenne pepper instead of extra Franks sauce. Otherwise youll throw off the balance of acidity.
Whisk this all together until its emulsified:
If you havent tried chicken wings baked instead of fried, its one of my most popular recipes since 2012 and many people like them more than fried wings.
One more note on the sauce: it will change in consistency as it cools off, because butter tends to firm up as it chills. For that reason, we make the sauce while the wings are cooking. You can reheat it as needed.
Can you make buffalo sauce ahead? Yes, just reheat on the stove or in the microwave and whisk together to combine.
Also, we dont add any salt to the sauce, as there is a substantial amount in the Franks. But you can adjust to taste if youd like.
For more Buffalo Recipes and Game Day food, this Buffalo Chicken Dip is another favorite .
What Can You Make With Vegan Buffalo Sauce
Oh the fun you can have with this spicy sauce!
- You can mix it with macaroni and cheese.
- Add some to our Spicy Cauliflower Poppers, or use it as a dipping sauce.
- Coming soon – Vegan Buffalo Chik’n Dip!!!
Make our spicy buffalo sauce and let us know what you think. We love to hear from you! And, dont forget to take a picture of your gorgeous creation and tag us
Lets connect on and. Youll get a peek into our everyday lives in our stories and see what were sharing in our feed.
And, dont forget to to the blog so you never miss a recipe. Scroll below the recipe or in our side bar to become a Veganosity subscriber.
Recommended Reading: Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Chili Sauce