What To Eat And Serve With Greek Tzatziki Sauce
Greek tzatziki sauce can be served as part of a meze platter. I meze platter is a combination of Greek starter dishes like dolmades, meatballs, pita breads and vegetables like plump tomatoes, cucumbers and black olives. Also, slices of Greek cheeses like graviera and feta cheese are a very nice addition to a meze platter.
Tzatziki is also perfect to accompany grilled meat of any kind, chicken, pork or lamb and of course if you serve with some juicy chicken and pork skewers you will have a match made in heaven!
If you are a vegetarian try pairing tzatziki sauce with grilled vegetables like carrots, corn, peppers and green beans or even a delicious Greek lentil salad!
What To Use This Sauce For
I love drizzling this sauce over roasted vegetables. In fact, thats probably my favorite use for it. Its also delicious when served with grilled lemon chicken.
I also love slathering this sauce over an english muffin on breakfast sandwiches! Its great used as a salad dressing, you can definitely get creative with it!
Easy Keto Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
I think sauces are one of the easiest ways to add flavor to any dish. This recipe is a perfect example!
No time to marinate chicken breast? Just throw it on the grill and drizzle on the sauce once its done!
Want a quick dipper for your veggies? This homemade tzatziki sauce with sour cream is so easy to make, you can whip up a batch in minutes!
The options are truly endless. Theres no bad way to enjoy this cool and refreshing Mediterranean-inspired sauce.
FOLLOW ME ON , , AND FOR MORE EASY KETO RECIPES.
You May Like: Gout Tomatoes Good Or Bad
A Cucumber Sauce Thats Actually Quick
This recipe is modeled after the traditional Greek tzatziki, so its a Mediterranean-style or Greek cucumber sauce. Our authentic tzatziki calls for a 1 to 2 hour chill time. Most cucumber sauce recipes call for salting the cucumber for 1 hour to remove moisture, or chilling for 1 to 2 hours before eating. Who has time for that?
Alex and I created this cucumber sauce to be one you can make in minutes: no waiting time required. While we love our tzatziki recipe: the flavor of this one is just as good! And its the one we make on the regular now.
How To Store Homemade Tzatziki
Store your prepared Tzatziki dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You may notice a little separation after a day or two in the refrigerator. If you do, give the sauce a good stir and it should even itself out.
I dont recommend freezing cucumber sauce for later use. In my experience the sauce does not freeze well, because the cucumbers tend to get mushy from freezing and thawing. However, if you really want to, yes you can freeze it. It will not go bad by any means, but it will just not have the same preferred texture.
Recommended Reading: Honey Roasted Bbq Chick Fil A Recipe
What Youll Need To Make Tzatziki
Tzatziki should be made with thick Greek yogurt yogurt. Many recipes call for straining it, but I dont find it necessary.
I like to make tzatziki with English cucumbers, the long, thin cucumbers that come wrapped in plastic. Because their skin is thin and unwaxed, English cucumbers do not need to be peeled makes it easy.
Tzatziki is traditionally made with mint or dill. I prefer the flavor of mint but feel free to substitute fresh dill if you like.
Did You Make This Recipe
Please leave a review by clicking on the 5 stars above, in the purple header or tag me on Instagram!
Christinas Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Read Also: Mcdonald’s Signature Sauce Review
Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
Light, refreshing, creamy, and loaded with fresh dill flavor.
This homemade tzatziki sauce recipe is going to put any restaurant or store bought version to shame.
Dont believe me?
Recently both a popular store-bought brand and my homemade version were in the fridge at the same time.
They obviously had to be compared side by side, and hands down this homemade tzatziki sauce recipe was the best!!
Its made with finely shredded cucumbers, Greek yogurt, and just the right amount of crushed garlic cloves and fresh dill.
Pop all of the ingredients into your food processor and its ready to enjoy in less than 15 minutes.
Helpful Tips Tricks & Equipment
- My favorite sea salt is Redmond Fine Sea Salt.
- If you cook with a lot of herbs, an herb stripper is a handy tool that makes the job quicker .
- For dipping on the go, I like to fill little stainless steel condiment containers with Greek Yogurt Dip and toss em in my kids lunchboxes with cut up veggies like baby carrots, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and/or sugar snap peas.
- While this recipe would work using plain regular yogurt, the tanginess, creaminess, and thickness of Greek yogurt really does make for the best dip.
- To keep fresh herbs from going brown or getting all wilty, be sure to store them properly. Much like you would do with fresh flowers, trim the bottoms of the stems just a bit. Make sure the leaves are dry. And then place the herbs in a glass or mason jar with about an inch of water at the bottom. Loosely cover the glass/jar of herbs with a big plastic bag and store in the fridge.
And there you have it! A fresh, tangy, healthy dip thats perfect for snacking after school or by the pool. Or serving with raw veggies at the dinner table. Or as the perfect accompaniment for that crudité platter at your next party! I hope you enjoy this creamy and delicious Greek Yogurt Dip as much as my family does.
Don’t Miss: Rao’s Sauce Low Carb
Top Results For Recipe For Greek Sauce Tzatziki
Tzatziki Recipe – As Made In Greece – Real Greek Recipes
Copy the link and share
Authentic Tzatziki Sauce Recipe | The …
Copy the link and share
Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe – The Daring Gourmet
Copy the link and share
Tzatziki Recipe – Cookie And …
Copy the link and share
Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe – Lemon Blossoms
Copy the link and share
Traditional Greek Tzatziki Recipe – Eating European
Copy the link and share
How To Make A Garlic Paste Without A Mortar And Pestle
If you dont own a mortar and pestle, theres another way to achieve nearly the same result using a Chefs knife or Santoku and a cutting board. Heres how:
Don’t Miss: What Is Mcdonald’s Special Sauce
Use Just Enough Water To Get It Creamy
Once you mix together this cucumber sauce, youll find that the texture is thick. The final step is to stir in water until it gets to the right consistency. Youll know its done when its perfectly creamy and easy to dollop onto your sandwich. It should be creamy and thick. Resist the urge to add too much water: we added 2 to 3 tablespoons.
The reason the water varies is because each brand of Greek yogurt varies! Some are thicker than others. You might also notice that when youre using a large container, after a while the water will pool at the bottom and the yogurt you scoop out is very thick.
Ingredient List / What Is In It
An authentic Tzatziki sauce recipe requires a few simple ingredients. You will need:
- English Cucumber It is best to get an English cucumber versus a regular cucumber because of their thinner skins and smaller seeds. This way, you can peel and grate the whole cucumber without having to remove the seeds! Regular cucumbers tend to have skins that are too thick and waxy, while the seeds are just too big and bitter.
- Whole Milk, Plain Greek Yogurt A whole milk, plain Greek yogurt will give you a rich and creamy tzatziki dip that is totally worth the extra fat. You can, of course, use a low-fat or fat-free version, but note the dip will not be as creamy.
- Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed lemon juice brightens up this Greek white sauce. White wine vinegar works as a good substitute if that is all you have on hand.
- Garlic This cucumber yogurt sauce includes raw garlic, so use the freshest garlic you can. Mince to the finest texture.
- Salt + Black Pepper Season according to the recipe, then taste and adjust to your liking at the very end.
- Fresh Dill I simply adore fresh dill. Its an herb I grew up with in Turkey since we use it in just about anything. But I find it is not as popular here in America. If you cant find fresh dill or dont enjoy the flavor, you can use an equal amount of fresh mint or parsley.
Also Check: Annie’s Worcestershire Sauce Target
How To Make Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip
Making this dip is as easy as measuring and stirring. Spoon the Greek yogurt into a bowl. Then mix in the herbs, vinegar, and seasonings until everything is nice and combined.
I think its important to sample the dip and tweak the ingredients to your liking as you go. You may need to add a little more salt here or a little extra dill there. However, there are two things to keep in mind:
As indicated above, its very important to chill this dip before serving. So take that extra time into account if youre making it ahead of time as a snack or for party. This recipe simply wont have as much flavor immediately after you make it. The flavor needs a chance to develop as the dip hangs out in the fridge!
And if you find that your Greek Yogurt Dip is too thick once you pull it out of the fridge, you can always thin it out with a little milk until it reaches your desired dip consistency.
Best Yogurt To Use For Greek Tzatziki:
Classic Greek tzatziki is generally made with whole milk Greek yogurt, but its your kitchen , so if youve only got low-fat or non-fat Greek yogurt, thats fine.
Avoid regular plain or nonfat yogurt or European varieties as they are too loose for this cucumber yogurt sauce.
I like to use a mortar and pestle for the garlic and lemon zest. It does a better job of pulverizing the ingredients and releasing their flavors and aromatics.
Recommended Reading: Best Spaghetti Sauce At Walmart
Minute Tzatziki Sauce Alteration
While I wanted to share the way to create this sauce from scratch, there are times you just want to enjoy the flavors without all the work. You need the same ingredients below and just combine, chill for approximately an hour, and serve. The main difference being that your sauce may be more watery than the longer recipe, but still with the great flavors and ready in a pinch.
- Greek yogurt Try to use whole full fat
- English cucumber you could substitute kinds of cucumbers, but make sure you really do squeeze out extra moisture
- roasted garlic puree skip the roasted garlic in the oven and instead use prepped minced garlic
- lemon juice
- fresh dill weed convert to dried if necessary. May also be substituted for mint.
What Goes In Garlic Sauce
Some toum recipes call for mayonnaise, but this traditional recipe, adapted from Maureen Aboods Lebanese cookbook Rosewater and Orange Blossoms is completely vegan, and to me, it tastes far better, while remaining nice and creamy.
It literally takes 5 ingredients to make, one of which is water! Heres whats in this toum sauce recipe:
- Garlic. I used 1 whole head .
- Kosher salt. Just 1 teaspoon
- Neutral-tasting oil. 1 ¾ cup. As much as I love my extra virgin olive oils, for toum, its best to use something like a grapeseed oil or sunflower seed oil.
- Lemon Juice. 1 lemon.
You May Like: Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe
Also Check: Carolina Reaper Hot Sauce Walmart
What To Eat With Tzatziki
Not gonna lie here, I will eat Tzatziki Sauce right off my fingers, but since that is not a societal accepted thing, here are ways to enjoy this sauce without people looking at you funny.
- Pita Bread you can use straight up pita bread to enjoy
- Roasted Veggies I love mixing mine with Roasted veggies Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Tomatoes, Zucchini, all great choices
- Chicken Make some simple grilled chicken and dial it up
- Gyros No matter the meat , Tzatziki works as a great alternative to other condiments and is full of flavor
- Dip in Raw Veggies
Serve As A Dip Dressing Or Sauce
This tzatziki recipe isnt only a dip but a spread and sauce too. It goes well with grilled meats or your favorite Mediterranean inspired recipes.
- As a dip, try it with fresh vegetables, pita chips, baked french fries, crackers, zucchini fries, or even greek meatballs. It makes a great dip for pizza crust too!
- As a spread, serve it with gyros or lamb and veggie kebabs, falafel. Use in place of mayonnaise on sandwiches, subs, or salads!
- As a sauce, pour it over oven-baked chicken breasts, salmon, or use it on a classic potato salad! Its also great on fish because of its mild, creamy flavor.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Walmart
How To Make It Thicker
Although Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt, you can strain it for an even thicker sauce or dip. To do so, simply place a few layers of cheesecloth in a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl, add the Greek yogurt, cover with the ends of the cheesecloth and set in your fridge. Allow it to strain for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Note that the longer you allow the Greek yogurt to strain, the thicker it will become.
Straining the cucumber prior to mixing into the yogurt sauce also produces a thicker tzatziki.
Why Greek Yogurt Is Good For You
Besides being a great healthy option for achieving that creamy tang, adding Oikos Greek Nonfat Yogurt to your diet is always a good idea because of these healthful yogurt facts:
- Greek nonfat yogurt is higher in protein and lower in fat than regular mayonnaise.
- According to the 2015 USDA Dietary Guidelines, 64% of Americans dont meet their daily calcium needs. Each 5.3 oz cup of Oikos Nonfat Yogurt supplies 15% of the daily calcium our bodies need, so eating even one yogurt a day becomes a first step to a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
- Greek yogurt contains active yogurt cultures and the balance and diversity of bacteria in your gut is associate with better health.
- Greek yogurt contains less lactose than regular nonfat yogurt, making it helpful for yogurt lovers who are lactose intolerant.
And those are just a few reasons for using Greek yogurt as a base for any dip is a good thing.
Also Check: Texas Pete Wings Recipe
Read Also: Hot Sauce For Weight Loss
How Long Does Homemade Tzatziki Last In The Fridge
Homemade tzatziki sauce is best consumed fresh. You can freeze it, if you have some leftover, but dont expect the result to be perfect. The cucumbers will become a bit mushy and the sauce a bit more watery.
You can store your homemade tzatziki sauce in the fridge in an airtight container. It will last for about 3 days before it starts going bad. If it has gone bad you can tell by the smell. If it smells sour, like yogurt or milk gone bad, then it is time to get rid of it.
Pro Tips For The Greek Yogurt Dressing Recipe With Honey & Mustard
- use ONLY Greek yogurt for this dressing recipe, yogurts with less fat in the composition tend to become watery in combination with other ingredients and especially vegetables
- prepare the Greek yogurt dressing immediately before use or store it in the refrigerator for a short time
- if you like the hot taste, use a spicy mustard type
- this Greek yogurt dressing sauce has a balanced sweet-sour taste given that the proportion of honey and mustard is equal this can be modified by changing the proportions, respectively adding extra honey for a sweeter taste and extra mustard for a more sour taste
- the amount of garlic can also be changed, I usually add 2 teaspoons of granulated garlic for a stronger garlic flavor
- in addition to parsley, you can use other aromatic herbs such as mint, dill, coriander, or basil
Youre in the right place if youre looking for
Greek yogurt dressing recipes
Recommended Reading: Costco Raos Sauce