Doctored Up Spaghetti Sauce
Doctored up Spaghetti Sauce is something that I make almost every single week! It starts with any ol jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce and turns it into a hearty meat sauce and can be used in so many different recipes.
Everyone can admit that a red sauce is always better after it sits for a couple days. Using a jar of sauce just gives the meat sauce that simmered-all-day taste.
Read Also: Kraft Sweet And Sour Sauce
Classic Spaghetti Sauce With Ground Turkey
The best flavorful spaghetti sauce made with San Marzano Tomatoes, fresh herbs & spices, ground turkey, and sausage. The recipe that will make you ditch the jarred tomato sauce for good! This classic spaghetti recipe is easy to make with less than 20 minutes of prep time, and sure to be an instant family favorite.
Sheet Pan Hidden Veggie Turkey Meatballs
- prep time:10min
- calories:01 serving
These homemade turkey meatballs taste like theyve been slow-simmered, but theyre actually baked on a sheet pan in the oven, then coated with Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce. This super simple meatball recipe uses lean turkey instead of beef, and bakes in just 20 minutes. Once you know how to make these easy, slimmed-down sheet pan turkey meatballs, youll find they work in so many different recipes: saucy hot sub sandwiches, spiralized vegetable noodle bowls and more!
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Green Pepper Sauce
Shortcut: Quick And Easy Bolognese
Okay, I know I’ve been harping on the idea that bolognese is a low-n-slow kinda sauce, but someone out there is looking for a quick and easy bolognese recipe. So, if you must, here is a shortcut for those busy weeknights.
This shortcut uses marinara sauce I adapted it from Giada De Laurentiis. You basically omit the milk, wine, and tomatoes and a couple other items used in the original sauce recipe. And here’s what you do:
I will say, if you have the time, make bolognese the classic way and store it for later use.
Is Prego Or Ragu Better
When you compare the nutrition facts of Prego vs Ragu, there are not any major differences. Ragu is slightly better nutritionally with less calories, total fat, carbs, and sugar. However, we would suspect that the small difference in nutrition is not a major factor to select one brand over the other for most consumers.
Read Also: Is Rao’s Pizza Sauce Gluten Free
How To Make Ground Turkey Pasta Casserole
- Cook pasta to al dente in a pot as per package directions, but undercooking by 4 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
Why undercook pasta? This is an important step to remember. The pasta will continue to cook while its baking in the oven, so undercooking it a bit will help to avoid overcooked, mushy pasta. This is also important if you are planning to use this as a freezer meal.
- Prep: Spray a 9×13 baking dish, preheat oven to 350 F degrees and find a large skillet for sauteing.
- Cook veggies and turkey: Saute the onion and garlic for 2 3 minutes. Add oregano, rosemary, basil, a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring a few times. Add the ground turkey and cook for another 5-7 minutes, breaking meat into pieces and stirring occasionally.
- Make meat sauce: Add the tomato sauce, honey, balsamic vinegar, and pasta water. Stir, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add kale and stir to combine. Now, add cooked pasta and stir to combine even more.
Leafy greens like kale, spinach, collard greens, and swiss chard wilt in residual heat. They dont need much time to cook which is why they tend to be added in last in recipes.
- Combine pasta with meat sauce: This is why cooking everything in a large skillet makes life easier. Its a lot! Transfer half of the mixture to the baking dish, sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese, add remaining mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups cheese.
- Bake: Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Serving With Spaghetti Squash:
You can serve over traditional spaghetti noodles. BUT, My favorite way to serve spaghetti is over spaghetti squash. This lightens up the recipe A LOT!!! Plus, it allows me to fill my belly without feeling overly full as I do with pasta.
I make my spaghetti squash by heating my oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the spaghetti squash around the equator. Scoop out the seeds and sprinkle with sea salt. Place spaghetti squash flat side down on a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, then use a fork to pull out the spaghetti squash strings.
You May Like: What Is Rao Sauce
When Life Hands You Lemons
you grab the salt & tequila or if, like me, youre allergic to tequila, then you make a prego sauce
Those of you that have been following me on twitter and Facebook might have noticed that I love my prego rolls. In fact as far as on-the-go braai food goes its right up there with a boerie roll.
So, when a friend suggested I try make my own chilli/prego sauce I had to give it a bash.
The sauce itself is actually very simple, youll need:
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- and the zest of a lemon fortunately life just handed you one
Mix all the ingredients together, except the sugar, in a blender and blend until it becomes like a paste. Pour the paste and the sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
So I did all of this. However, my lemon was either too big or I got a little excited on the lemon zest part and grated half the lemon into the blender. The end result was a prego sauce that is full of promise, but slightly overbearing on the lemon-vibes. #Fail
Ive had some cool suggestions on Facebook and Twitter like adding honey , but I think the best suggestion came from a twitter friend who happens to be a chef , that I might simply need to let it chill out for a day or two. In many recipes lemon can be overbearing and will eventually become more subtle as the sauce rests over time.
P.S. Please also visit the braai recipes for more of my favourite braai time recipes.
Still Searching For What To Cook
- 1 packageFresh basil chopped
- 1 largeOnion chopped
- 1 8 oz packagesliced bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 packageJennie-o Italian seasoned ground turkey
- 1 small containerMrs. Dash garlic& herb or generic brand
- 1 small containerGarlic powder
- 1 small containerItalian seasoning
- 1 jarPrego 3 cheese sauce
- 1 jarPrego tomatoe basil & garlic
- 1 candiced tomatoes drained
- 1 small jarsundried tomtoes chopped
- 2-3 tablespoonsSugar to taste
Chop basil set aside
Drain can of diced tomatoes
1. Place ground turkey, chopped onions, chopped garlic in large pan and cook until turkey looks cooked/no longer pink.
2. Season with Mrs Dash, garlic powder, italian seasoning
3. Add mushrooms
4. Reduce heat to medium
5. Add both Prego sauces
6. Add can of diced tomatoes drained
7. Add 2-3 large tablespoons of sun dried tomatoes
8. Add fresh basil
9. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar
10. Simmer for 1 hour
You May Like: Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipes
Easy Classic Lasagna Recipe
113 People Used
DIY homemade ragu or prego spaghetti sauce
Fast Quick Easy Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe with Prego…
Prego Pasta Sauce Pizza Bowls
Prego Spaghetti Sause Real Homemade Taste 1983 TV…
Grant Writers Urging More To Apply For Funding Aimed At Combatting Violence, Helping Youth ProgramsYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
5 Considerations When Developing Your Retirement Income Game PlanYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
Senior Center Menus for July 26-30Your browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
A bumper crop! How do you like them apples?Your browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
‘Top Chef’ winner shares her recipe for perfect Southern biscuitsYour browser indicates if you’ve visited this link
How to Make Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef | Beef…
DIY homemade ragu or prego spaghetti sauce – YouTube
How To Make Spaghetti with Prego Sauce! – YouTube
Inquiries Related to homemade prego sauce That People AlsoAsk
Users searching homemade prego sauce will probably have many other questions relatedto it. Currently, there are 20 results released and the latest one isupdated on 03 Dec 2021. The above search results can partly answer users’ queries,however, there will be many other problems that users are interested in. We list themost common ones below.
How do I save recipes? Where can I find them?
One Pot Ground Turkey Spaghetti
Meaty and delicious, this healthy ground turkey spaghetti is a delicious cozy comfort food meal perfect for any busy weeknight. Lightened up with a meat sauce made of ground turkey then cooked in a savory sauce this simple pasta is cooked all in one pot for a fast and easy dinner. Everyone will love this great recipe.
Who doesnt love an easy and delicious meal that can be made quickly? This healthy ground turkey spaghetti recipe is easy, fast, and tasty. It makes it a really easy weeknight dinner that I know the family will love.
*This post may contain affiliate links to products we love. If you purchase something after clicking one of our links we make a small fee. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.See our affiliate policy here.
Recommended Reading: Costco Rao’s
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 In a 12-inch skillet, cook 1 pound lean ground beef with the onion, garlic and bell pepper over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Place a strainer or colander in a bowl line with a double thickness of paper towels. Pour the beef mixture into the strainer to drain. Return beef mixture to skillet discard paper towelsand any juices in the bowl. Continue with step 3.
- tip 2 The sauce may look ready to eat after heating to a boil. However, the longer cook time over low heat is necessary to develop the flavors.
- tip 3 A tightly held bundle of spaghetti, about the diameter of a quarter, weighs about 4 ounces.
Other Easy Recipes You Will Love
Bruschetta Chicken Pasta Full of fresh tomatoes, delicious garlic chicken and tons of flavor. This thrity minute pasta dish is another reader favorite.
Baked Ravioli This cozy casserole can be made with refrigerated or frozen ravioli. A cheesy bowl of baked pasta that takes less than 30 minutes to make, yum!
Easy Classic Baked Ziti A classic cheesy baked pasta dish full of coziness, the perfect dish for the family or to share with friends.
Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta This bright and flavorful pasta dish is packed full of tender chicken, lots of cheesy ricotta cheese and plenty of tender chicken.
Read Also: How To Make Texas Pete Hot Sauce
How To Freeze Meat Sauce:
Meat sauce will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To store it longer, transfer meat sauce to a freezer-safe container, leaving just a slight amount of headroom at the top. We prefer freezing meat sauce in freezer ziploc bags because it lays flat in the freezer and can be quick-thawed under running water.
Also Check: Hellmannâs Real Ancho Chipotle Sauce
Ingredients For Your Shopping List
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey Lean ground beef can be swapped in this recipe. See the notes in the recipe card at the bottom for more details for how to swap beef.
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup onion diced
- 3 cups marinara sauce- You can also use a 24 ounce jar of sauce. Its close enough for this recipe you can simply use the whole jar.
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar Dont skip the balsamic vinegar, it brings so much flavor to the dish.
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley Can use dried parsley, use 1 teaspoon.
- 8 ounces dried spaghetti noodles Break the noodles in half for this recipe. This is half of a one-pound box of dry spaghetti noodles.
- Salt and pepper
Also Check: Rao Spicy Sauce
How To Make Spaghetti With Ground Beef
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash And Turkey Meat Sauce
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Meat sauce is an easy and healthy meal to put together.
Mind you I have never had spaghetti squash, I didnt realize how much I would enjoy this. Maybe the cooking time was just right to make the spaghetti squash noodles not mushy. My daughter couldnt believe that spaghetti comes from squash, she thought it was a miracle! My husband and I had a good laugh about that. It was a fun thing to make for dinner that is actually healthy too.
See the squash below? When I plated dinner, I didnt think there would be enough for leftovers. Then after dinner, I went back and scraped the squash with a fork and more noodles came out, the noodles go all the way to the skin.
This meal can be served right in the spaghetti squash if desired. I actually made this plate up for leftovers, it slipped right into a round Tupperware
Kudos to whoever first did spaghetti squash in the slow cooker, best idea ever. Ill be making this often!
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Chili Sauce Recipes
How Do You Cook Down Spaghetti Sauce
Reduce by cooking at a low boil or simmer. Reduction is the most natural and easy way to thicken a spaghetti sauce. Heres how you do it: Bring your tomato sauce to a boil and slightly reduce the heat, allowing it to simmer uncovered to the desired consistency. Stir the sauce often to prevent burning.
Read Also: Raos Marinara Costco
How Much Does Instacart Delivery Or Pickup Cost
- Delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35.
- Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
- Tipping is optional but encouraged for delivery orders. Its a great way to show your shopper appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper who delivers your order.
- There may be a pickup fee on your pick up order that is typically $1.99 for non-Express members. Express membership waives this like it would a delivery fee.
- Pick up orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
You May Like: Costco Raos Sauce
Don’t Miss: Raos Sauce Recipe
What Other Kind Of Meat Can You Add To Spaghetti Sauce
- Ground beef
- Ground turkey
- Italian sausage
Once your meat and veggies are seasoned and cooked, you can add the jar of your favorite sauce, tomato paste, the canned tomatoes and remaining seasonings. The sauce then gets simmered for 20 minutes and then you can toss in a handful of parmesan cheese for even more yumminess!
Tricks To Making A Great Sauce Even Better
Even the best store-bought spaghetti sauce might taste just a little bit better if you enhance it with a few extra ingredients, so dont be afraid to add a pinch of this or a dash of that to help make the flavor better.
- Sugar. Is the sauce bitter? Try adding just a pinch of sugar in the mix to help neutralize the acidity.
In Italy, typical homemade tomato sauce known as conserva di Pomodoro or passata di pomodoro is quite simple and plain. You remove the tomato skins, use a food mill to grind the tomatoes, add some basil and olive oil, and cook. Thats it.
Other ingredients are added later, once the sauce has been canned and then re-opened for use. Many add in salt, pepper, onions, garlic and any preferred spices.
- Garlic & Onions. Onions and garlic in powder form or even pressed is a good way to add some pizzazz to a sauce, but make sure you sautÃ© them on low heat for a few minutes to prevent them from causing heartburn.
Before you add the sauce, pour in about a Tablespoon or so of water and turn the heat up to let it evaporate this is done by many in Italy to help make the onions and garlic more digestible.
- Spices. Add some of your favorite spices to the mix such as oregano, salvia, chili powder or thyme.
- Meat. Browned meat will turn that sauce into a ragu, which is what tomato sauce with meat is called in Italy.
Recommended Reading: Salsa Raos
Whats The Healthiest Tomato Sauce To Use
Some jarred tomato sauces do have extra sugar added but there are healthier options. Look for a pasta sauce that has simple ingredients, doesnt include meat or cheese already in the sauce and is low in sugar and salt for a lighter sauce. This list of healthy pasta sauces is a great resource to check if you are looking for a healthier pasta sauce.