Tips For The Best Coleslaw Dressing
Here are a few tips for coleslaw dressing success!
- Be sure to heat the vinegar and sugar until all the sugar has dissolved, so the dressing is smooth and completely incorporated.
- Onions will vary from mild to strong in flavor. So start out with a smaller amount of grated onion. You can always add more!
- Store the finished dressing in a jar with a tight fitting lid, or a similar kind of container. This makes it easy to shake the dressing right before folding it into the cabbage.
- And finally, use only the freshest cabbage you can find to make this salad. It would be a shame to dress the salad with sad cabbage thats past its prime! I like to use a pre-shredded mix that includes some purple cabbage and shredded carrots, for added color and flavor.
More Keto Recipes Like This
Whether youre hosting a summer barbecue or need to use up some leftover cabbage, weve got plenty more keto recipes to keep you on track and loving your low-carb diet.
- Egg Roll in a Bowl. Kick your cabbage game up a notch with one of the best staple keto recipes of all time.
- Sugar Free Lemonade. If youre a fan of adding some refreshment to your family BBQs then youre going to need this keto friendly lemonade recipe.
- Keto Fried Chicken. The perfect main dish to pair with your coleslaw and recreate your very own KFC feast!
- Easy Air Fryer Whole Chicken. An ideal low-effort main to serve alongside super easy low-carb side dish.
- No Bake Cheesecake. The newest addition to our list of favorite low carb desserts. If you havent tried this one yet then youre missing out.
Ingredients In This Coleslaw Dressing Recipe
This homemade coleslaw dressing recipe could not be easier to make: it takes just 5 minutes to whip up. Here are the major components of the dressing and how they all work together:
- Mayonnaise. Mayo just has that magic flavorful touch for coleslaw! To give this dressing a healthier spin, theres less mayo than most coleslaw dressing recipes: its just enough to coat the cabbage and bring big flavor. If you eat a vegan diet, you can substitute vegan mayo.
- Apple cider vinegar. The classic coleslaw dressing recipe is all about tang. Apple cider vinegar brings in that classic flavor.
- Maple syrup. To balance it out, coleslaw dressing needs a little sweet. But most coleslaw dressing recipes use a ton of refined sugar! Instead, weve used just a touch of maple syrup to keep it naturally sweet. You can substitute sugar if its all you have.
- Chili powder & dried dill. These spices are not in the standard coleslaw dressing. But they bring the most unique, delicious flavor to this dressing! Youll be kicking yourself that you ever made it another way.
Recommended Reading: Big Mac Sauce Recipe Mcdonald’s Chef
Can I Dry The Coleslaw Mix Without A Salad Spinner
If you dont have a salad spinner, theres no need to run out and get one. You can also dry the coleslaw mix by spreading it onto a paper towel-lined baking tray and blotting it dry with more paper towels. You can also roll the wet cabbage mix in a clean tea towel and then gently squeeze it to soak up the extra moisture.
How To Make Coleslaw Mix
There are tons of way to make your own coleslaw mix and it’s very easy to do, but first you need to decide the type of coleslaw mix you want to make.
The main ingredient in a coleslaw mix is cabbage and it is usually green cabbage. I suggest using at least 75%-80% green cabbage in your mix, but you can make a simple coleslaw with 100% green cabbage.
You can also use different varieties of cabbage, like nappa cabbage, red cabbage and even savoy cabbage.
I like to add some color to my coleslaw mix by adding in shredded carrots and sometimes red cabbage.
You also need to decide if you want a finely chopped coleslaw or a shredded coleslaw. Both are delicious, but I usually prefer a shredded coleslaw.
If you have a food processor that has a shredding or chopping blade, that will be the fastest way to make your coleslaw mix, but if you don’t , no worries.
You can chop or slice everything by hand or if you want a very fine coleslaw, you can use a grater. For the carrots, you can use a vegetable peeler.
I always use my vegetable strip maker from Pampered Chef and was so disappointed when they stopped carrying it. It had large holes on the grating surface and made shredding cabbage so easy! I tried to find something similar on Amazon, but haven’t. You can buy the Vegetable Strip Maker on Amazon, but the prices are outrageous.
The ingredients and ratios I use are:
- 7 cups of shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded purple/red cabbage
- 1-2 carrots shredded
You May Like: Rao Low Carb Sauce
Is Boiled Cabbage As Healthy As Raw Cabbage
In addition to providing the body with more antioxidants than carrots, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, bell peppers, and many other raw or boiled vegetables, boiled carrots contain more carotenoids and ferulic acid than raw carrots, according to Liu. When cooked or steamed, of course, they are delicious.
Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
Since it literally takes 5 minutes to make, this keto coleslaw recipe is my go-to for so many occasions, whether Im at home or not. The sugar-free coleslaw dressing makes it hard to beat. A quick side to accompany a weeknight dinner? Definitely. A way to sneak in veggies that the kids will eat? Yep. A crowd pleasing addition to a get-together? Keto slaw will do it. A work week staple to prep over the weekend? Totally. A perfect solution when youve spent all day dealing with a house project and suddenly realize you have nothing to serve with your chicken for dinner? Yeah, thats how this super simple, paleo low carb coleslaw recipe came about.
After a day-long fiasco of attempting to paint closet doors followed by a panic about unexpected fumes in the house in the middle of frigid January , dinner consisted of chicken from the freezer and this creamy keto coleslaw. At least its a funny story to look back on.
Keto coleslaw dressing does develop its flavors after some time, and tastes best if you make it in advance or at least let it chill for an hour so a little planning ahead is smart. And fortunately, this sugar-free coleslaw keeps very well even for multiple days so its a great option to make ahead or even meal prep. And, it needs just 5 ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes, so it works for any type of meal.
You May Like: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Don’t Miss: Rao’s Pasta Sauce Costco
What Is Coleslaw Dressing Made Of
Coleslaw dressing is made with mayonnaise, a sweetener , apple cider vinegar, celery seeds, salt and pepper. Some coleslaw dressings are made with dairy , but I dont think its necessary and prefer this dairy-free option.
My creamy coleslaw dressing recipe is also low in sugar and calories, compared to what you would get at a store or restaurant. This was by design. But if you want something a little more reminiscent of your favorite KFC coleslaw, add more sweetener.
My sweetener of choice is honey, but maple syrup works great as well. And either of those is better than the processed white sugar used in most traditional coleslaw recipes.
If mayonnaise-based coleslaw isnt your thing, check out my recipe for Vinegar Based Coleslaw. You can also read more about the health benefits of cabbage there. Dont let the mayonnaise fool you, cabbage is an amazing vegetable to have and keep in our diet.
What Youll Need To Make Low
Whether youre using a packet or chopping up your own, you wont need much at all to make this crowd-pleaser recipe.
If you already have a bagged mix, all youll need is:
- A large mixing bowl
- A spoon or pair of tongs for mixing
Chopping up your own fresh greens? Youll need a grater or vegetable peeler for the carrot, a chopping board, and a large, sharp knife. Thats it!
Don’t Miss: Texas Pete Chili Sauce Recipes
What Else Can We Add To Homemade Coleslaw Dressing
After the three main ingredients, youre looking at what type of flavor profile you want to achieve in your homemade coleslaw dressing. You have a few options here.
Turning Cabbage Into Coleslaw
This diner-style coleslaw is the epitome of what a good slaw should be: green cabbage, a few carrots, and a good dressing. Its nothing flashy, but thats as it should be. Slaw is the back-up dancer to flashy barbecue numbers. Its cool creaminess, crunchy texture, and tangy flavor balances out the richness of smoked and grilled meats.
This said, Im not opposed to the occasional riff. Throw in some red or purple cabbage alongside the green that mix of colors is so very pretty on the plate. Ive also been known to toss a few chopped celery stalks or some bell peppers in there. Anything crunchy and fresh will only make the coleslaw better.
Read Also: Zabs Hot Sauce Amazon
How To Serve Coleslaw Dressing
Of course, the best and easiest way to serve this coleslaw dressing recipe is on coleslaw! The basic formula is that this dressing makes enough for about 9 cups of shredded cabbage and carrots. Thats roughly 20 ounces or almost 1.5 pounds of coleslaw mix. Here are some of our favorite slaws to drizzle it on:
- Best Coleslaw Yep, it really is the best! Green and red cabbage, carrots, and the perfect coating of this dressing.
- Red Cabbage Slaw All you need for this slaw is a red cabbage and a red onion. Oh, and this magic coleslaw dressing!
- Broccoli Slaw This spin-off on coleslaw is made with broccoli stems and its truly irresistible!
- Other ways: Drizzle it over a salad, or even use it to spread on bread in a sandwich instead of mayonnaise.
How Do You Make Coleslaw Healthier
Classic coleslaw is full of shredded cabbage and carrots. The dressing, however, is made with mayonnaise and sugar. There is usually about ½ a cup of mayonnaise and usually a couple tablespoons for sugar. That adds up to more calories and more fat than youre probably looking for in a salad.
For this no mayo coleslaw, we use Greek yogurt instead. And although there is still carbs in maple syrup, I recommend it instead of granulated sugar because it has a lower glycemic index. That means its more slowly digested. And thats the kind of ingredient that makes our bodies feel good!
You May Like: Ragu Alfredo Sauce Ingredients
Want To Save This Recipe Create A Free Account To Easily Save Your Favorite Recipes
About the Author: Sabrina Snyder
Sabrina is a professionally trained Private Chef of over 10 years with ServSafe Manager certification in food safety. She creates all the recipes here on Dinner, then Dessert, fueled in no small part by her love for bacon.
Sabrina Snyder is a professionally trained personal and private chef of over 10 years who is the creator and developer of all the recipes on Dinner, then Dessert.
She is also the author of the upcoming cookbook: Dinner, then Dessert Satisfying Meals Using Only 3, 5 or 7 Ingredients which is being published by Harper Collins.
She started Dinner, then Dessert as a business in her office as a lunch service for her coworkers who admired her lunches before going to culinary school and becoming a full time personal chef and private chef.
As a personal chef Sabrina would cook for families one day a week and cook their entire week of dinners. All grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning was done along with instructions on reheating. As a private chef she cooked for private parties and cooked in family homes in the evenings for families on a nightly basis after working as a personal chef during the day.
Sabrina has been certified as a ServSafe Manager since 2007 and was a longstanding member of the USPCA Personal Chef Association including being on the board of the Washington DC Chapter of Chefs in the US Personal Chef Association when they won Chapter of the year.
Sabrina lives with her family in sunny California.
Trishs Tips For The Best Homemade Coleslaw
- Taking the time to shred fresh cabbage will give you the best results. Use a mandoline to make quick work of this task. Dont have the time? No worries, buying pre-shredded cabbage or even a coleslaw mix totally works too.
- Preparing the coleslaw in advance allows the flavors to develop and lets the cabbage and carrots soften just slightly. I like to chill for a good hour or up to 1 day in advance of serving.
You May Like: How To Get Tomato Stains Out
What Is The Best Cabbage To Use
I love using a combination of red and green cabbage when I make coleslaw. It makes the dish really pretty. You can use just one variety, though. Try green cabbage, red cabbage, savoy cabbage or Napa cabbage.
For a different spin, try using broccoli! Heres our easy recipe for broccoli slaw that uses the same dressing as this recipe.
What Our Readers Are Saying
If you dont believe that our recipe helps you achieve the best coleslaw from scratch, take a look at what our readers are saying about the recipe! More reviews are in the comments section below.
This is seriously the best coleslaw I have ever made or tasted. Judy
Wow, fantastic slaw! Bryant
Amazing! I wanted to eat the whole bowl! Caitlin
Recommended Reading: Tomatoes Cause Gout
How To Make Keto Coleslaw
Ready for the easiest keto recipe youll ever make? Set aside just five minutes and get ready to enjoy delicious low-carb coleslaw for days!
Add all dressing ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined.
If using a bag of coleslaw mix, remove and discard the sachet of dressing.
If youre making your own fresh, finely slice some green and red cabbage. Grate one carrot, or use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons.
Add your shredded cabbage to the bowl with the dressing and toss to thoroughly coat. A pair of tongs works best to ensure every bit of cabbage is covered.
Sprinkle with chopped spring onions before serving.
How To Make The Best Coleslaw
This coleslaw recipe is packed with fresh, lively flavors that wake up anything you serve it with. Try this as a topping to sandwiches, served next to ultra-savory meats, like braised beef or pulled pork. Or mound some on top of your next hot dog or hamburger. You wont believe how easy coleslaw is to make at home. Here are my best tips for making it.
Recommended Reading: Mcdonald’s Signature Sauce Recipe
Making The Keto Coleslaw Dressing
A good low-carb coleslaw for keto still needs a tasty dressing.
Add the dressing ingredients, including mayonnaise, vinegar, Swerve, celery salt, almond milk, and crushed black pepper into the same main bowl.Dont worry about throwing in one ingredient time as youre about to mix everything together anyway.
When it comes to the vinegar, be careful not to add too much at once.
I recommend 1 tablespoon, but feel free to go even lower if you don’t like a tangy coleslaw as I do.
You can always add more to your coleslaw dressing later on if it’s not tangy enough for you when you’re finished making it.
Anyways, now you can take a few salad tossing utensils or spoons and toss the salad until the dressing is spread out evenly throughout the mixture.
Good coleslaw should look creamy and uniform in texture, so it might take a few minutes to get things just right.
Why Make Homemade Coleslaw
We are making a very simple homemade coleslaw recipe. I know you can now purchase coleslaw in the grocery store pre-made. You can also make coleslaw from scratch. Why would you want to?
You may want to customize it the way you like. When you make it from scratch you can add more onion if you desire. You could add some shredded carrots or even some shredded apple for a nice change.
You may also want to control the amount of sugar, or even use a sugar substitute in this recipe. Now you have a nice basic recipe to work from.
Read Also: Kikkoman Sauce Recipes