Storing Homemade Alfredo Sauce
If you dont want to serve it immediately and/or you have leftovers, store them in a covered container in the refrigerator and use within 5 days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.
Subscribe to my Newsletter, follow me on , , and for all my latest recipes and videos.
This post, originally published Kevin is Cooking on Apr 27, 2020, was last updated with new content on Oct. 27, 2021.
What To Make With The Best White Sauce:
Alfredo sauce is a family favorite over here. I know that I can make so many delicious recipes with this sauce. Simple and basic recipes to a little more complex, this Alfredo Sauce recipe just does the trick! Make this a complete meal with a few vegetables, garlic bread and a side salad.
What Can You Use Alfredo Sauce For
When once thinks of Alfredo sauce, the first thing that comes to mind is some kind of pasta and you are right. However, dont limit the creamy sauce just to the pasta, enjoy Alfredo with these other recipes:
How long can the sauce stay fresh?
Once cooled, keep the sauce in a jar refrigerated up to 3 days.
How to make a healthy Alfredo sauce?
For a healthier option, leave out the heavy whipping cream and substitute for milk instead.
Can I use half and half?
You can substitute the milk and heavy whipping cream with half and half for a lighter sauce that isnt so rich.
Can I freeze Alfredo Sauce?
I would not recommend freezing the sauce!
How to reheat the sauce?
When reheating the sauce, do so over low heat. You may need to add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
The secret to the BEST sauce?
You want to make sure to keep the sauce cooking over low/medium heat. If you cook it over high heat, the sauce will separate and you can scorch the bottom.
Once you try this homemade version of the Classic Alfredo Sauce, it will be on repeat in your home!
Also Check: Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe With Ragu Sauce
How To Reheat Alfredo Sauce:
- Place the alfredo sauce in a microwave safe dish
- Microwave for 30 second intervals stirring in between each 30 seconds
- If the sauce is thicker than youd like, you can add a little bit more milk until it reaches your desired consistency
Since you can store and reheat this alfredo sauce, it makes for great weeknight meals. Our favorite things to top the alfredo pasta are this easy grilled shrimp and this !
- 2large garlic cloves
- 1/4cupall purpose flour
- 3cupswhole milk
- 2cupsfreshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2teaspoon eachsalt, and pepper
- 2tablespoonsfresh chopped parsley
How To Make Alfredo Sauce
This sauce is so easy to make in only a few simple steps.*Dont miss the complete printable recipe card and video tutorial below.
Also Check: Pioneer Woman Marinara Sauce Reviews
Why Use A Roux In Alfredo Sauce:
- No heavy cream! This is already a rich sauce so it makes me feel a little better about myself to use milk instead of cream.
- The sauce will be so creamy and have the perfect thickness to it for coating the noodles and not being runny.
- The sauce wont separate. Weve all had the alfredo sauce that separates into a greasy mess and nobody likes it.
- You can store and re-heat this sauce. Traditional alfredo sauce breaks when reheated but this one makes great leftovers.
What Other Seasonings Can I Add
We only added garlic powder and black pepper but there are many other seasonings you could add. Try stirring in a pinch of nutmeg, red pepper flakes, dried basil, dried oregano, or dried parsley. You can also add salt if needed but taste the sauce first to make sure. Only add a little at a time, tasting after incorporating it before adding more.
You May Like: Kikkoman Teriyaki Beef Jerky
Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
This easy homemade alfredo sauce is the only recipe for alfredo youll ever need! Its so creamy, doesnt separate, and is easy to pull together! You can also pair it with SO many different veggies or meats!
This alfredo sauce starts with a roux and Ill explain why I go choose to use a roux in my recipe. It might not be traditional but its there for a reason.
Storage And Reheating Tips
If you happen to have some leftover, youll want to store the pasta and sauce separately if possible. If its already mixed together, dont freeze it, but you can keep in the fridge for a few days and reheat using the instructions below.
- Refrigerator: If you happen to have leftover sauce, you can reheat it but proceed with caution. Add a teaspoon of two of milk to the pasta and sauce, then simmer it over low heat or heat in the microwave at 50% power, stirring often, until warmed through. Reheat slowly and stir frequently or the sauce can break and create a greasy mess.
- Freezer: Freeze Alfredo sauce in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 6 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight, then place the sauce in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until heated through to avoid breaking the sauce . Freeze the sauce without the pasta. Make fresh pasta when youre ready to use the sauce
Also Check: Philadelphia Cream Cheese Sauce
Tips On Selecting Ingredients
Alfredo sauce only contains a handful of ingredients. Everything counts, but the cheese is really the most important factor to making this sauce shine. Its really important to opt for the highest-quality cheese you can afford.
In addition to Parmesan cheese, we added Romano cheese to our recipe. It has a sharp, slightly tangy flavor that adds a level of depth to the sauce. If you just want to use one cheese for simplicity, go ahead and use Parmigiano Reggiano. Its made in Italy and has a deep, rich, nutty flavor. The cheese labeled Parmesan isnt authentic. It might have a similar flavor, but its saltier and more acidic than the real deal.
No matter what you cheese choose, try to avoid the pre-grated stuff. It doesnt melt as well, and it may contain anti-clumping agents like plant cellulose.
When it comes to cream, stick with heavy cream. We knowits not super healthybut using it is the only way to get Alfredo sauce to thicken naturally. If you swap in half-and-half or milk, youll need to add flour or cornstarch to get it thick enough to coat the noodles.
Creamy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
Alyssa RiversJump to Recipe
Creamy Garlic Shrimp Alfredo Pasta is such a classic meal that is brought to its BEST with Shrimp. This meal takes little effort and is so creamy and delicious the entire family will go crazy for!
This Homemade Alfredo Sauce is one of the top recipes on the blog. We make so many delicious recipes with this sauce including,Chicken Alfredo Roll Ups. Serve it with some homemade garlic bread to complete your meal!
You May Like: Rao Spaghetti Sauce Where To Buy
Easy Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Did you know its really easy to make Alfredo sauce? In the time that it takes you to cook the pasta you can make an amazing Alfredo sauce. Dont buy the sauce from the jar, you can make Alfredo sauce that tastes just like it came out of a restaurant at home.
You can learn how to make this creamy cheese sauce for a very tasty plate of pasta at home.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Today I am going to show you just how easy this homemade Alfredo sauce recipe is. You are going to be shocked how quick and easy it is. Its one of my favorite easy recipes. Plus, it tastes much better than anything from the grocery store.
Im very excited for this post today to share with you this crazy good and easy alfredo sauce recipe.
Don’t Miss: Hottest Takis Ranked
What To Serve With Roasted Garlic Alfredo:
- Perfect for serving with chicken breasts for an easy meal of chicken fettuccine alfredo.
- You can also add grilled shrimp to make shrimp alfredo.
- Use it as the sauce for a white pizza.
- Try a steak fettuccine alfredo by adding thinly sliced steak.
- It works well as a lobster ravioli sauce, or to serve with cheese ravioli.
- Add cooked ground beef for a creamy beef pasta.
- Change up your chicken parmesan, and use roasted garlic Alfredo sauce instead of .
- Make lobster fettuccine alfredo by adding in some chopped lobster tails.
- Add in extras to the sauce like sautéed spinach, mushrooms, roasted broccoli, or roasted red peppers.
Ingredients For Alfredo Sauce
- Butter, garlic & flour – These are the 3 ingredients used as the base for the sauce to make the roux that will thicken and flavor the alfredo.
- Half and Half – Half and half adds a rich, creamy flavor to this sauce, without it being too heavy. For a lighter sauce, opt to use milk, and for an extra rich sauce, use heavy cream.
- Cheese – Parmesan cheese is the traditional cheese used in alfredo sauce. For a different flavor, try asiago, pecorino romano or grana padano.
- Spices – Salt, pepper and bit of nutmeg are used to flavor the sauce. For a more plain alfredo, the pepper and nutmeg can be omitted. Crushed red pepper flakes can also be added to spice things up a bit!
- Pasta water – This is used to thin out the sauce to the desired consistency, but also adds extra creaminess and helps the pasta bind to the sauce. Milk or vegetable broth can be used as an alternatives if needed.
Also Check: Chick Fil A Sauce Uses
How To Make Homemade Alfredo Sauce
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, volunteer authors worked to edit and improve it over time. This article has been viewed 348,997 times.Learn more…
Alfredo sauce comes from Rome, and involves a velvety blend of butter, parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Stores market Alfredo sauce in cans, jars and refrigerated containers, but you can make your own fresh version with a few ingredients and precious little time at the stove. Make homemade Alfredo sauce by gathering your ingredients, cooking the sauce and serving it over your favorite food.
Cream Cream And More Cream : Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ingredients 101
Now that youre basically an expert in all things alfredo, youll know by simply skimming our alfredo sauce ingredients list that our alfredo recipe is more American-style than authentically Italian. And yet, it yields the hands-down best bowl of fettuccine alfredo you can find on either side of the Atlantic! Authentic or no, its exactly what we crave when were hankering for alfredo and we know youre going to love it, too. Pick your favorite pastafettuccine noodles are the classic choiceand get cooking! Heres everything youll need to make the best alfredo sauce recipe ever:
How To Thicken Alfredo Sauce 5 Ways
Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
This easy homemade alfredo sauce recipe is made from scratch and is the perfect pair to your favorite pasta. Made in just 10 minutes, this thick and creamy sauce will help you make a simple weeknight meal or cozy Sunday dinner with family.
This post was originally published in January 2021 and has been updated for content.
There is nothing like a good homemade alfredo sauce slathered all over freshly cooked pasta. This recipe is not only quick to make, but it’s packed full of amazing flavor.
Alfredo sauce is a creamy white sauce, that is traditionally made from only butter, cheese and a little bit of pasta cooking water. More americanized versions will include heavy cream, cream cheese or half and half.
This recipe uses a roux, which is equal parts fat and flour, to make a super creamy and thick sauce that is great for pasta, pizza and more!
Read Also: Does Oxiclean Remove Tomato Sauce Stains
What To Make With Alfredo Sauce
Once youve mastered this easy Alfredo sauce recipe, use it to make any number of delicious pasta dishes. Its great with chicken and shrimp . You can also add any number of vegetables, like spinach or kale, broccoli, spring peas, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini and more. Check out these recipes that start with Alfredo sauce.
Skinny Fettuccini Garlic Alfredo
A lightened up garlic alfredo sauce that is delicious and creamy and coats the pasta perfectly! Half of the calories and you wont even be able to tell!
Carbs. Oh man. Carbs are my WEAKNESS. When I am trying to watch what I eat, chocolate and sweets do not tempt me at all. Its the carbs. I dream all day of a big bowl of pasta and carbs sitting right in front of me. Along with a couple of slices of warm bread. I just love my carbs.
Well stuffing your face with carbs is not the best way of losing weight. And because I count macros, I can only can have 40% in my diet to reach my daily goal. So I decided to take my favorite alfredo sauce and change the ingredients and combine it with whole wheat pasta.
This alfredo sauce is the best out there. I changed out some of the ingredients to reduce calories and used low fat milk and reduced fat cream cheese. I was able to cut the calories in half and it was absolutely amazing!
This is just one of the recipes that you will want to continue making though out the year. I am such a huge believer in keeping things delicious but swapping out for healthier ingredients to keep your goals throughout the year practical and achievable.
And I still gotta have my carbs. My reward meal each week usually consists of going with the family to the spaghetti factory and loading up on their famous Brown Butter Mazithra Cheese Spaghetti.
You May Like: Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce Ragu
Quick Tips For Best Results
- Use a good quality freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I suggest buying a big chunk and grate it yourself. Makes a huge difference!
- I strongly recommend using heavy cream for the best results. For a light version, you can try using whole milk or half-and-half, but know that the sauce may not turn out as thick and you may be disappointed in the taste. You can also try adding some type of thickener if you want the sauce thick with lighter ingredients. See my How to Thicken Alfredo Sauce for more tips if you run into problems.
- Some people like to warm the cream a little before adding it to the pan, but it works ok for me if adding it a bit cold or room temperature. Just be sure to whisk in slowly.
- You can add more/less garlic as well as salt/pepper to your personal preference.
Alfredo Sauce From Scratch Recipe
My whole family prefers white sauce over red with our pasta. But buying jarred sauce just doesnt fill the craving from that restaurant quality taste.
Plus, making your own Alfredo sauce from scratch is surprisingly easy and quick and uses just 4 everyday ingredients.
Affiliate links are used in this post.
- 8 oz unsalted butter, room temp
- 5 oz shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
Step 1: In a small sauce pan or skillet melt butter with added roasted garlic.
Step 2: Whisk while slowly pouring in the heavy cream. Continue to whisk until everything is blended.
This set of 3 whisks is perfect, and you cant beat the price!
Step 3: Remove the sauce pan from the heat. Add and whisk in the cheese until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4: If mixture is too thick add more heavy cream until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Spaghetti Sauce Stains From Clothing