What Ingredients Go Into Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Olive oil use for sauteing.
- Lean ground beef I recommend 85% lean ground Angus beef.
- Salt and pepper to season the beef and sauce and highlight its flavors.
- Onion and garlic these build a flavor foundation for the sauce. Always use fresh.
- Canned crushed tomatoes Ive actually done a side by side taste taste with several brands and Hunts is best. If you want to puree a can of San Marzano tomatoes that would be delicious too.
- Tomato Paste this adds lots of tomato flavor and helps thicken up the sauce.
- Fresh basil and fresh parsley this gives the sauce so much fresh flavor. Fresh basil in spaghetti sauce is a must in my book.
- Dried oregano since you wont be using much we go with dried, but feel free to substitute fresh if youve got it .
How Do You Make Jarred Spaghetti Sauce Better
10 Tricks to Make Jarred Tomato Sauce Taste Homemade Build the foundation. Everything tastes better with some sautéed garlic and onions. Spice it up. Give it a kick by adding crushed red pepper to the sauce. Go green. Veg out. Thicken it up. Not all starch is bad. Cheese, please. Carnivore cravings.
Did You Make This Recipe
Please leave a review by clicking on the 5 stars above, in the purple header or tag me on Instagram!
Christinas Cucina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Recommended Reading: How Spicy Are Takis On The Scoville Scale
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add diced onions and saute until they’re translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and any additional add-ins.
- Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, in a casserole, or as a dipping sauce.
How To Freeze Spaghetti Sauce
Let the sauce cool completely. Pour into a freezer safe container and seal. Sauce will keep for 3 to 4 months in the freezer.
To thaw, let the sauce thaw in a sink of cool water. Once thawed, pour sauce into a pot on the stovetop to reheat or in a large microwave safe bowl for the microwave. You can also reheat it from frozen by adding it to your slow cooker and letting it cook for 5 to 6 hours on low.
Don’t Miss: Substitute For Tomato Paste In Spaghetti Sauce
How To Can Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Pour the homemade speghetti sauce, while hot, into hot pint or quart jars, leaving about 1 inch of headspace
- Adjust the bands & lids to fit.
- Process in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure
Its really the best sauce even our picky eaters love it! For dessert, try serving up our favorite easy peach cobbler. Youll have a meal that everyone will love!
Storing And Reheating Instructions:
If we are going to eat the spaghetti sauce in the next few days, we will store in the refrigerator. It stores great in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
To reheat, we simply put in on the stovetop to reheat. You can also reheat in the microwave but heat in 1 minute intervals to ensure that it is heated thoroughly.
Don’t Miss: Best Hot Sauce For Weight Loss
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Ingredients
- Lean ground beef This turns your spaghetti meat sauce recipe into a filling meal, though if youre vegetarian, feel free to omit it.
- Garlic Pull out the garlic press and mince it yourself for the best taste.
- Diced yellow onion A necessary component in any spaghetti sauce.
- Crushed tomatoes Grab a 28-ounce can of these babies that will make the base of your homemade tomato sauce from scratch.
- Tomato paste Helps create richness in the homemade pasta sauce.
- Chicken broth Make the sauce more saucy while adding in another element of flavor.
- Butter Trust in this, it makes your pasta sauce recipe heavenly.
- Spaghetti Sauce Seasoning Youll want fresh chopped basil and fresh parsley. Also, dried oregano.
- Parmesan cheese Whats homemade pasta sauce without a little shredded cheese thrown in for a complex flavor?
- Spaghetti pasta noodles the best spaghetti recipe isnt complete without the spaghetti noodles to showcase your pasta sauce.
Eat the spaghetti to forgetti your regretti.Anonymous
Serve The Sauce On The Spaghetti
If you want to use a colander, reserve some pasta water. Otherwise, use a pasta fork to take the pasta directly from the pot and place into the sauce . Just remember, the spaghetti goes into the sauce, not the other way around. You can have it over very low heat to keep the pasta super hot .
Mix well. If the pasta soaks up the sauce and seems too dry, add a little pasta water.
Add sauce until the pasta is completely coated.
There are two ways to serve spaghetti: twirled , or simply placed as is, into a bowl .
To serve restaurant style, use a large fork, or tongs to twirl the pasta inside a ladle.
Then simply place onto the bowl, or plate.
Top with a sprig of basil, and serve!
Family-style or homestyle, is easier: just place the spaghetti into a plate or bowl.
You can still add that sprig of basil.
However, either way, a good grating of Parmigiano Reggiano, or Pecorino Romano is an added bonus!
You May Like: Spaghetti Sauce Without Onions
Can You Cook Spaghetti In Soup
Once you let the noodles simmer in soup for too long, they become slimy and overly soft and you can suffer from starchy soup due to their digestion problems. The soup isnt going to simmer completely any more, so if you plan on adding it on the re simmer method, let it simmer it for 10 minutes then you can cook the unmounded pasta for 10 minutes or cook it separately at room temperature.
Follow These Steps To Make This Sauce With Meat:
You May Like: Raos Marinara Sauce
Transfer Cooked Pasta To Sauce
There are a couple of ways to get your pasta from the pan to the sauce. The easiest is to grab a set of tongs for long, skinny pasta, or a metal spider to fish out short pasta shapes, and transfer them directly to the pan with the warm sauce. Alternatively, you can drain your pasta through a colander or fine-mesh strainer, making sure to save some of the pasta water.
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce
Here are the steps of how to make this sauce.
How long to cook spaghetti sauce? Similar to a beef stew, the longer the sauce cooks, the deeper the flavors. If youre in a pinch for time, you can certainly get away with cooking it for a short time, but you really want the sauce to simmer for at least 1 hour, and ideally 4.
Also Check: Is Alfredo Sauce Bad For Gout
What Jarred Spaghetti Sauce Best
The Best Jarred Tomato Sauce, According to Chefs Don Pepino Pizza Sauce. Barilla Tomato & Basil and Traditional Premium Pasta Sauce Variety Pack. Classico Traditional Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce. La San Marzano Marinara Pasta Sauce. Michaels of Brooklyn Pasta Sauce. Victoria Marinara Sauce. Hoboken Farms Marinara Sauce.
Doctored Up Spaghetti Sauce
Doctored up Spaghetti Sauce is something that I make almost every single week! It starts with any ol jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce and turns it into a hearty meat sauce and can be used in so many different recipes.
Everyone can admit that a red sauce is always better after it sits for a couple days. Using a jar of sauce just gives the meat sauce that simmered-all-day taste.
Don’t Miss: Shrimp Alfredo With Ragu Alfredo Sauce
What To Serve With Spaghetti And Meat Sauce
We always serve this with a super crunchy iceberg salad tossed with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes and dressed in my favorite red wine vinaigrette and a few slices of buttery garlic bread. If youre looking for a little bit more, here are a few recipe ideas to make your meal.
- 1teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper
- 1pounddried spaghetti noodles
- grated Parmesan cheese
How Long Should You Cook Prego Sauce
Simply pour the sauce into a small saucepan while you re going about boiling your pasta. Let it come to a boil, then reduce the heat so that the sauce gently bubbles. Keep the simmer going for about 10 minutes or so, until you ve noticed that the sauce has reduced and thickened a little, but is still saucy.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Texas Pete Chili Sauce
Suggestions For Spaghetti Sauce With Fresh Tomatoes
- Fresh tomatoes are obviously best, but what if you dont have fresh tomatoes on hand? What if tomatoes are out of season? Dont worry! You can use a couple of 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes.
- If you want to add some extra flavor from your garden, you can add diced red bell pepper, diced green bell pepper, and/or fresh chopped carrots. If you like a chunky homemade garden spaghetti sauce, just chop up any veggies you like and add them while sautéing the onions.
- This sauce is thick, hearty and rich on its own, but you can for you meat lovers, you can add ground beef or chopped smoked sausage to the sauce.
- To thicken your sauce, slow and steady is your ticket. Last time I made this I had it simmering for 8 hours . Trust me, the longer you can let it simmer, the better! If you are finding that the water isnt evaporating as quickly as you would like or it isnt thickening up how you want it to there is an easy fix. Just add some tomato paste, about a tablespoon at a time, until you reach the consistency you are looking for.
- Make a double batch of this glorious sauce and freeze it in a freezer safe Tupperware-type container, a large freezer-safe Ziploc bag or a glass jar. If you do go the glass jar route, make sure to leave an inch or two of space at the top of the jar so the sauce doesnt expand and break. When freezing, make sure to cool the sauce completely in the fridge before freezing.The sauce will stay nice and fresh in the freezer for up to six months.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: You can prepare million dollar spaghetti 1 day ahead of time. Follow recipe instructions up to step 8 . allow it to cool, cover it well with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
To freeze: Prepare recipe right up until the baking step. Cover well with greased aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days, then bake for about 20 minutes covered and then 15-20 minutes uncovered. If baking from frozen, bake covered for about 40 minutes, then uncover and bake 20-30 minutes longer, or until bubbly and warm.
Recommended Reading: Ree Drummond Marinara Sauce
How To Make This Spaghetti And Meat Sauce
Truly fantastic homemade spaghetti sauce is easier to make than youd think, but it does take time.
Brown the beef. Drain off any excess fat, then, throw in the chopped celery, onion, and garlic and cook until the vegetables soften.
Boil and simmer. Dump the rest of the homemade pasta sauce ingredients into the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the spaghetti sauce is boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer on the stove for 3 hours. I know 3 hours sounds like forever, but thats how long it takes to make a rich, flavorful meat sauce. Just do what the Italians do, .
Cook your noodles. Once the homemade spaghetti sauce has had time to simmer, all thats left to do is boiling the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions and dish it up!
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce From Fresh Tomatoes
This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer, Amber Crain. Amber Crain has been a member of wikiHows writing staff for the last six years. She graduated from the University of Houston where she majored in Classical Studies and minored in Painting. Before coming to wikiHow, she worked in a variety of industries including marketing, education, and music journalism. She’s been a radio DJ for 10+ years and currently DJs a biweekly music program on the award-winning internet radio station DKFM. Her work at wikiHow supports her lifelong passion for learning and her belief that knowledge belongs to anyone who desires to seek it.The wikiHow Culinary Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 63,180 times.Learn more…
Many people feel intimidated by the thought of making a fresh tomato sauce from scratch, but its actually quite easy to do. When making a sauce from scratch, the key is to use the freshest, ripest ingredients available. Consider investing in a high quality extra virgin olive oil, since this can also make a big difference in the results. As long as you follow the process as closely as possible, your tomato sauce will have the vibrant, garden-fresh flavor you want.
Recommended Reading: Mumbo Sauce Amazon
Ingredients For Easy Spaghetti Recipe
- Spaghetti: Any pasta will work. I prefer using whole wheat or whole grain because it contains fibre and nutrients. If you use regular white pasta, please note the nutritional information of this delicious spaghetti recipe will change. Gluten-free spaghetti such as brown rice, quinoa, etc. will also work but it does cook faster than wheat. So watch it to avoid a mushy mess.
- Tomato sauce: There are so many tomato products on the shelves these days, in cans and jars, I get lost myself in the aisle too! That is partially why I just buy a 12 case of organic low sodium canned tomato sauce at Costco and use it in all my recipes. The other reason is that other tomato products are expensive. To make good spaghetti, you need a can of cheap, preferably low sodium, tomato sauce that reads tomato sauce. Not spaghetti sauce, not pizza sauce, not pasta sauce, not marinara sauce. Just tomato sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: Pre-grated Parmesan cheese in a shaker contains cellulose as a filler. It is not pure Parmesan cheese. Plus it doesnt taste nearly as fresh. I highly recommend using a block of fresh parmesan and grating your own for this easy spaghetti recipe.
I highly recommend to use fresh and real Parmesan, it not only tastes better, it adds to the restaurant quality of this simple dish!
How To Doctor Up A Jar Of Spaghetti Sauce:
It starts with adding veggies and ground beef. Onion, bell pepper, and garlic add so much flavor! I start a lot of my dishes with this veggie combo for good reason!
I add the vegetables in at the same time as the meat and cook everything together. It flavors the meat and saves on time as well. We usually use ground beef but you can use any combination below.
Read Also: Honey Roasted Chick Fil A Sauce
Watch The Marinara Sauce Video Tutorial:
I hope this Marinara recipe becomes a new favorite go-to recipe for you. P.S. If this video doesnt load right away, give it a few seconds. Youll see a faded horizontal image of pasta sauce then click the play button in the center. To view the video, make sure to temporarily pause your ad blockers on your browser.
Is It Acceptable To Leave Seeds In Tomato Sauce
Never seed tomatoes for this or any other sauce. Much of the tomatoes flavor is contained in its center, in the pulp and gel that surround seeds and even possibly the seeds themselves. Italian cooks make this sauce with unpeeled fresh tomatoes or canned ones, passing it through a food mill once its cooked.
You May Like: Magma Hot Sauce Scoville Units
Recipes To Make Using Pasta Sauce
Aside from the obvious reason , my favorite thing about pasta sauce is that it is so versatile. Here are a few ideas for ways to enjoy it!
- Pour it over the top of cooked noodles of any kind.
- If you have extras on hand, check out these ideas for recipes to make using leftover spaghetti sauce so nothing goes to waste.
- Use in place of store-bought sauce in your next pan of Baked Spaghetti or Baked Ziti!
- Lasagna and Cheesy Manicotti are both sooo good when made with Instant Pot spaghetti sauce!
- Use it as an ingredient to stuff spaghetti squash with!
- Add it to your morning eggs because everything tastes great with eggs.
- Top scrambled eggs with a few spoonfuls!
- Use it as a dip for breadsticks or garlic bread.