More Italian Sauces To Try:
I have a wealth of Italian Sauces for you to dive deep in to. Here are a few of my favorites that I think youll really enjoy.
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Creamy Alfredo Sauce
- Fresh Basil Pesto Sauce
Youre going to have dinner on the table in a breeze with this quick and easy Spaghetti Sauce recipe!
I cant wait for you to give it a try!
Why Is This The Best Marinara Sauce
Six reasons to love this recipe:
- This marinara sauce recipe requires 5 basic ingredients and yields rich, authentic marinara flavor.
- Its super easy to makeno chopping required.
- Unlike most store-bought sauces, this marinara is free of added sugar.
- You can load up your pasta with as much of this wholesome sauce as youd like. Tomatoes are good for you!
- The recipe yields two cups of sauce and freezes well, so you might as well double the recipe. Just cook it in a bigger pot.
- This marinara also makes an incredible pizza sauce. I made pizza with it and my friend remarked that it tastes like real-deal Italian pizza.
Please let me know in the comments how you like this sauce! Its a new staple in my kitchen, and I hope it becomes a go-to recipe for you as well.
Craving more classic Italian recipes? Dont miss these:
How To Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Using Fresh Tomatoes:
If using fresh tomatoes, you would need about 12-15 medium-sized tomatoes.
There is definitely more work involved when using fresh tomatoes, but it is worth it. Especially if your tomatoes are fresh off the vine from your own garden.
Here is how:
Recommended Reading: Wingstop Atomic Sauce For Sale
You Add The Pasta To The Water Before It’s Boiling
If you’re crunched for time, you may think you can get away with adding dry pasta to water that is just simmering – but you may regret it. “Make sure the water is at a rolling boil before adding the pasta. The rapid bubbles will keep the pasta from sticking or settling, as well as cook the dough quicker and more evenly,” says Underbrink. The boiling temperature will also properly set the pasta starches for the right texture, he adds.
How To Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Also Check: John Boy And Billy Grillin Sauce
Family Spaghetti Sauce Recipe For The Win
I combed over her recipes meticulously several times hoping I was in there but with no luck. Well one day when my husband joined me in looking through her recipes for her lemon pound cake, guess what we found???
Her homemade spaghetti sauce recipe!!! My heart dropped! How in the world did I miss that?? I smiled and said thank you mama! because I couldnt help but feel like shed snuck that in there for me.
I made it for dinner the same day and my boys said, can we have this spaghetti sauce every time we have spaghetti? lol It seemed like just yesterday that I was sitting at my grandmas table doing homework and eating this spaghetti sauce and now here I am serving it to my own kids.
Time flies. Passed-down recipes are such a blessing.
Homemade Spaghetti Is A Crowd Pleaser
Yes we do the traditional grilling out or a large pot of chili when we have friends and family over. But we also love serving this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe. Everyone loves it and is very budget friendly.
We love making a large pot of this spaghetti sauce and then having different types of pasta. We also add in bread and salad and your meal is complete.
So next time you are planning a large gathering, serve a spaghetti bar. Trust me you can go wrong when serving this easy comfort food.
Recommended Reading: Texas Pete Sweet Chili Sauce
Should I Sear Meatballs Before Baking
Some baked meatball recipes will call for you to sear the meat before baking. Weve decided to keep things simple and have omitted this step completely. We find that if we let them bake for the full 30 minutes, they crisp up really nicely on their own. If you like an extra crispy meatball, leave them in the oven for 35 minutes just make sure that they dont burn.
What To Do With Leftover Spaghetti Sauce
We love leftover spaghetti sauce and bank on their being some the next day. Here are a few great ways to use it:
- Make some homemade garlic bread instead of pasta and mop up the sauce with it!
- Top some roasted spaghetti squash with it for a delicious low-carb option.
- Swap out some of the ingredients in this American Goulash recipe for a scoop or two.
You May Like: Annies Homegrown Organic & Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
How To Thicken Spaghetti Sauce
Why is this homemade spaghetti sauce rich and just the right thickness even though it is meatless? Here are a few things that make a difference:
- Add finely chopped or grated vegetables. This is another great reason why I love adding finely grated carrots. Not only do they add natural sweetness to the tomato sauce, but they also thicken the sauce and give it a nice body.
- Use the right kind of canned tomatoes. Many recipes will use tomato sauce. That’s fine, but if you’re after thicker consistency, canned crushed tomatoes will give you a better result. And like I said earlier, something I don’t always add is a couple tablespoons of tomato paste which could also help.
- Do not add too much liquid. In this recipe, I use about ½ cup water earlier on to get things going. Later, I watch the sauce as it simmers and I add a little bit more if needed .
- Simmer the sauce. You’ll notice that once the sauce boils briefly, I turn the heat down and let it simmer a good 20 minutes. If I’m not in a hurry, I leave it a few extra minutes, watching the consistency and adding liquid if it turns too thick.
- Other ways to thicken the sauce. Not used in this recipe, but you can also use a little bit of corn starch or even add an egg to thicken the sauce . I don’t use either of these methods in my recipe because it is just the right thickness for me.
Best Ever Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
This homemade spaghetti sauce recipe was passed down from my Sicilian grandma. It has been used for generations, and you cant mess it up! It is really easy and tastes SO much better than the store-bought sauce. I love that you can make this in a crock-pot, too no need to spend hours babysitting the stove making sure it doesnt burn.
In fact, its one of our favorite dump recipes!
Homemade sauce is not as hard as you may think! It is actually pretty simple and tastes so much better than store-bought sauce! You can either make it on the stovetop, crockpot, or pressure cooker.
Making homemade sauce makes me feel like a super mom, even though I typically make it in the crockpot
You May Like: Hot Sauce Bottle Label Design
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce From Fresh Tomatoes:
If you would rather use fresh tomatoes rather than canned tomatoes, you can easily make the switch in this recipe.
- First thing to do with your fresh tomatoes is to peel the tomatoes and remove the stems.
- To easily peel the potatoes you will need to blanch them by putting them in boiling water. You will boil them for about 1-2 minutes.
- Once you remove them from the boiling water immediately place in a ice bath for a water bath.
- The skin can easily been removed.
- You will then chop and cook as the recipe indicates.
Can You Freeze Spaghetti Sauce
I often make a few batches of this spaghetti sauce to keep in the freezer for later use.
To freeze pasta sauce, again be sure it is cooled completely. Transfer to freezer-safe containers, leaving enough room for the sauce to expand as it freezes. Cover tightly and be sure to label the container clearly with content and date.
Thaw the sauce in the fridge overnight. Warm up over medium heat, stirring as needed.
You May Like: Killer Hogs Bbq Sauce Gallon
To Freeze Spaghetti Sauce
Simply place the sauce in a freezerproof container and freeze. Will keep well in the freezer for up to a month. Defrost in the fridge, then reheat in a pot, and add the pasta as directed in the recipe.
I truly hope that you try this simple recipe with my suggested ingredients and that you will never buy jars of pre-made spaghetti sauce from the store in future. Thats my goal, so please let me know if you try it!
Make the Spaghetti Sauce
How To Store Pasta Sauce
This recipe isnt approved for canning, but it will last in the refrigerator for five to seven days. Its best to store the sauce in glass jars or containers, because the tomatoes are very acidic and could stain your plastic containers. Keep the sauce covered with plastic wrap or close it tightly with a lid.
You May Like: Philadelphia Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce
Follow These Steps To Make This Sauce With Meat:
Tips For Best Results
- If you like a thinner sauce, you can add it to the food processor and puree into your desired consistency or if you like a thicker sauce, just skip this step.
- This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated for two days.
- If you dont have fresh herbs on hand, they can be substituted for dried. Dried parsley has next to no flavor so I suggest using oregano in its place.
- Baking soda neutralizes acidity. To save bitter tomato sauce, add a pinch of baking soda at a time until the acidity disappears.
You May Like: How To Make Potsticker Sauce
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce
Here are the steps of how to make this sauce.
How long to cook spaghetti sauce? Similar to a beef stew, the longer the sauce cooks, the deeper the flavors. If youre in a pinch for time, you can certainly get away with cooking it for a short time, but you really want the sauce to simmer for at least 1 hour, and ideally 4.
Ingredients For Making Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Olive oil I used olive oil, but you can use any other cooking oil of your choice.
- Ground beef I prefer using 85% lean ground beef because it has less fat.
- Salt and pepper Use these to your taste.
- Onion and garlic Dont skip these two because they help to build the flavor for the sauce. Always use fresh.
- Canned tomato sauce This is one of the main ingredients, so I try to use a very good sauce brand.
- Fresh herbs I used fresh parsley. This helps to give the sauce a fresh flavor. You can also use fresh basil or a combination of basil and parsley.
- Dried oregano Gives the sauce a little more oomph!
- Sugar? I dont use it because the sauce will not be sour if its well cooked. However, you may add a hint if you choose to.
Don’t Miss: Michaels Of Brooklyn Pasta Sauce
You Ignore The Portion Sizes
“Pasta gets a bad reputation for being too high in carbs, but in fact, it can be part of a balanced diet,” says Ginger Hultin, MS, RDN, CSO, and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. “A serving of pasta is two ounces or one cup, which equals about 75 to 100 calories.”
Many people eat much more than that and will often also add in French bread and several servings of high-fat meat like ground beef or sausage with cheese, she says. “This can create a high calorie meal that exceeds saturated fat recommendations,” she explains. So, keep portions in check to avoid making this health mistake.
Ingredients For The Best Spaghetti Sauce Ever Recipe
- 1 package of Italian sausage. If you like heat, you can use spicy Italian sausage, but if not stick to the sweet Italian sausage.
- 1 package of ground beef NOTE: the photos of this recipe do not have beef in them.
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 2 28 oz Cans of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 6 oz Can of Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seed!!
FennelSeed is the secret ingredient in my spaghetti sauce! You may think its a bit strange, but fennel takes your spaghetti sauce to an authentic Italian level. Your guests will wonder what you put in it to make it sooo good. and its just Fennel seeds! Trust me! If you are super apprehensive to add it, Id say start by adding 1/4 teaspoon and build it from there! You will want to add more each time .
Recommended Reading: How To Make Ramen Sauce
Ways To Use Leftover Spaghetti Sauce
Using it over pasta is a given, but what about those times you’re completely out of pasta or are just plain tired of it? Switch it up and use that leftover spaghetti sauce in these deliciously different ways!
- Use as a base in a homemade Italian soup
- Eggplant pizzas
- All the casseroles pizza, tortellini, ravioli, lasagna, etc.
Don’t let your leftover spaghetti sauce go to waste! As you can see, there are plenty of ways to reuse it that will feel like a brand new meal to you. All of these ideas use varying amounts of sauce. Only a few tablespoons can go a long way, so don’t get rid of a single, delectable drop!
About This Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
I use four different forms of canned tomatoes to make this homemade spaghetti sauce: tomato paste, crushed tomatoes with their juice, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes with their juice.
Although homemade spaghetti sauce requires a nice long simmer on the stove, most of that time is hands-off. You could also use a slow cooker to simmer the spaghetti sauce on low for 8 hours.
Why bother making homemade when you can buy a jar of sauce at the grocery store? Once you taste this sauce, youll know the answer to that question! Anything thats freshly made beats canned by a long shot. Plus you can be confident in knowing that the sauce you make is preservative and additive free, and made with love.
Listen for the Grazie thats sure to come your way. The correct response to that is Prego!.
Don’t Miss: Famous Dave’s Bbq Sauce Walmart