Homemade Bbq Sauce Variations
- Spicy BBQ Sauce: Add up to 1 tablespoon of hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Maple BBQ Sauce: Substitute 1/4 cup maple syrup for the honey.
- Extra Smoky BBQ Sauce: Double the amount of smoked paprika.
- Coca Cola BBQ Sauce: Add 1/2 cup Coca Cola to the recipe.
Homemade barbecue sauce is delicious on any type of meat. Its particularly good on smoked meats such as chicken and pork. It makes an amazing pulled pork sandwich and the best barbecued chicken wings youll ever eat.
I always keep this BBQ sauce in my freezer so that I have some on hand when the grilling mood strikes. It just cant be beat!
Tips For The Best Bbq Sauce
- Add a blend of various ingredients to build lots of flavor. Here we use a fair amount that all come together and pair perfectly.
- Dont omit all the sweeteners or sauce will be very sour and unbalanced.
- Let it simmer and reduce to thicken. The simmering not only helps meld the flavors but it thickens the sauce since some of the liquid evaporates.
- Wait to add bbq sauce to chicken or ribs until the last 5 10 minutes of grilling or baking so it doesnt burn excessively and dont cook over high heat once added, use a medium heat.
- If its been in the fridge dont forget to let it rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes so you arent serving it cold with warm food .
Adaptable Homemade Barbecue Sauce
The beauty of this sauce base is that you can change it if youre in the mood. You can use brown sugar or molasses instead of honey, you can use Dijon mustard instead of the regular yellow mustard, you can use tomato sauce for some of the ketchup, there are lots of ways to vary the base. And then you get to add other ingredients to deepen it more, things like Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, or smoked paprika, or all of the above! Really the options are endless. Soooo good. Youre going to love making this easy staple and doctoring it up in new ways.
The reason this simple sauce works is because of the flavor balance. You have salty and sweet flavors in the ketchup, more sweet from the honey and then a good tang from the mustard. Its also great because the sugar content in the sauce makes it caramelize on food when its cooking.
Don’t Miss: Jalapeno Fry Sauce Freddy’s
Easy Bbq Sauce Recipe With Just 3 Ingredients
Be honest. How many bottles of barbecue sauce do you have in the fridge? There are so many great ones to choose from, but what about making your own? This BBQ saucerecipe is so easy to make. Its definitely not something that should intimidate you.
With just three ingredients, you can make a great sauce. If you love to grill or smoke meats, why not take them to the next level by adding homemade barbecue sauce?
This homemade barbecue sauce goes together in literally seconds. With just three ingredients, and no need to heat, you have no reason not to try this sauce.
You probably even have all the ingredients you need in your pantry right this minute. If not, you can easily find the ingredients in any grocery store. You can even make it ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Best Bbq Sauce Recipe
We are big fans of barbecue sauce in all its many forms. The one Im sharing with you today is super versatile and basic while still having amazing depth of flavor. It really is the best bbq sauce!
If you want to try some of our other flavors of barbecue sauce you should try the Root Beer BBQ Sauce I used for these Pulled Chicken Sandwiches or the Beef Brisket with Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce so good!
Recommended Reading: Raos Tomato Sauce Costco
Kansas City Barbecue Sauce
Kansas City sauces are the most popular on the market. This one, so much better than bottled, has all the richness you want in a great barbecue sauce. The perfect combination of tangy and sweet works with everything and you can kick up the heat if your taste demands.
This classic, sticky barbecue sauce has a ketchup base and uses sugar and molasses to achieve the thickness it’s famous for. Add vinegar, spices and a generous teaspoon of cayenne and cook for 30 minutes. The sauce should be cooled off before using.
Keeps in the fridge for 5 days.
How To Store And Freeze Barbecue Sauce
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Since it is not loaded with preservatives, homemade barbecue sauce will go bad faster than store bought barbecue sauce.
- To Freeze. Yes, you can freeze barbecue sauce! Place the sauce in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
You May Like: Carbs In Rao’s Marinara Sauce
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It’s quick – done in just 2 minutes
- It’s easy – just measure, mix, and serve
- It has only five ingredients, and most of them are kitchen staples
- No cooking required – I never found the cooked versions to be any better anyway, to be honest, so why bother?
- Just slightly spicy so you can serve it to almost anyone
Types Of Barbecue Sauce
I enjoy a spicy barbecue sauce, while my husband prefers a sweet barbecue flavor. Plus, each region seems to have a favorite type of sauce.
The Carolina barbecue sauce tends to be vinegar based, while the St. Louis style has more of a sweet-and-sour flavor with a kick of heat. Kansas City barbecue sauce tends to be sweeter.
Memphis barbecue is more of a dry rub than a sauce, but many people from the region still enjoy a sweet sauce. Texas barbecue sauce tends to have a smoky flavor with a little heat or in some cases, a lot of heat.
Regardless of the region you prefer, you can still alter the recipe to suit your personal taste. So while youre looking over the ingredients list and recipe, decide whether to follow it as-is or crank up a flavor you particularly like.
Also Check: Strongest Hot Sauce
What Can You Use Instead Of Barbecue Sauce
If youre not a fan of barbecue sauce, you can use dry rubs on your meat before cooking it. There are a number of dry rub recipes, and they are extremely easy to make.
The hardest part is measuring out all the ingredients. Another option is to use a vinegar sauce. These are really popular in North Carolina and are nothing like barbecue sauce.
They are vinegar-based and very thin. They also have red pepper flakes as well as cayenne and black pepper. If youre looking for something that packs a flavor punch, you may like this sauce.
Early Uses In English
The word entered the in Britain during the late 17th century, appearing in print as catchup and later as ketchup . The following is a list of early quotations collected by the .
- Catchup: a high East-India Sauce.
- The first published recipe: it included mushrooms, anchovies and horseradish.
- 1730, , A Panegyrick on the Dean Wks. 1755 IV. I. 142
- And, for our home-bred British cheer, Botargo, catsup, and caveer.
You May Like: Where To Buy Rao’s Pasta Sauce
Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe
|*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our classic, homemade BBQ sauce is sweet, tangy, and smoky, making it the perfect sauce to brush over ribs, brisket, chicken, or chops. The simple list of ingredients makes it a fast preparation and it’s ready in about 25 minutes, start to finish.
Barbecue sauce isn’t just for brushing on ribs, chicken, or beef. Serve it as a dip for chicken wings or nuggets, onion rings, fries, or meatballs. It’s also an excellent sauce option for sandwiches, pizza, burgers, pulled pork, and tacos. Or drizzle homemade sauce over a grilled or BBQ chicken salad or steak salad.
BBQ sauce keeps well, and you’ll want to have a jar ready to go in your fridge at all times. Luckily, it’s quick and easy to make and tastes so much better than the bottled stuff.
This BBQ sauce is smoky, tangy and flavorful with just enough sweetness to create that perfect balance. Its so easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes. I used it for some BBQ cauliflower wings and it was a hit!Bahareh Niati
Reactions Byproducts And Regulation
Most commercial vinegar solutions available to consumers for household use do not exceed 5%. Solutions above 10% require careful handling, as they are corrosive and damaging to the skin.
When a bottle of vinegar is opened, may develop. It is considered harmless and can be removed by filtering.
, a form of , may occur in some forms of vinegar unless the vinegar is kept covered. These feed on the mother of vinegar and can occur in naturally fermenting vinegar.
Some countries prohibit the sale of vinegar over a certain percentage of acidity. As an example, the government of Canada limits the acetic acid of vinegars to between 4.1% and 12.3%, unless it is sold only for manufacturing use and identified as such.
Also Check: Tomato And Gout
Side Dishes For Your Barbecue
When you serve barbecued anything, youll want to have some delicious side dishes. Here are some we enjoy:
Creamy Coleslaw Balance the flavors of your barbecue with this smooth but crunchy and creamy coleslaw.
Mamas Potato Salad My mothers potato salad was always a huge hit at any family gathering. In fact, no matter how much she made, it disappeared before anything else.
Easy Broccoli Slaw This easy-to-make side dish adds flavor, crunch, nutrition, and color to your barbecue dinner or any meal for that matter.
Ways To Use Bbq Sauce:
There are so many great ways to put a batch of homemade BBQ sauce to delicious use! Some of our faves include:
- Traditional bbq meat: Grilled or pulled chicken, pulled pork, ribs, burnt ends, etc.
- Baked beans: BBQ sauce is a simple and delicious way to flavor a batch of baked beans.
- Burgers: Use it as a spread on your favorite burgers.
- Pizzas: Use it in place of pizza sauce.
- Soups/salads: Mix it into broths to flavor soups, or use the sauce as a dressing for your salad.
- Tacos/quesadillas/burritos: BBQ sauce is a great way to give your favorite Mexican dishes a different twist.
- Dipping sauce: And of course, its always a great dipping sauce for everything from chicken nuggets to veggie sticks to cocktail meatballs and more!
Read Also: Raos Sauce Flavors
Spicy Mustard Bbq Sauce
For as long as I remember, Ive always loved my Mamas Coca-Cola BBQ sauce. It is what I grew up on her chicken, meatloaf and so many other dishes. But then, on a trip to South Carolina after my husband and I were married, I ventured over into the other side of BBQ sauces away from the red and sweet to the yellowish orange and tangy. While I wont say that it replaced the BBQ sauce that Ive loved since I was a little girl, I readily admit that when I now love to make all sorts of BBQ sauces at my house depending on what Im planning to serve. I also like to make a selection so that guests have an option.
If you are looking for another BBQ sauce to add to your line up for an upcoming party or just to try something a little different from your usual sauce that you serve, you might want to make this to try as an option. It is one that I certainly enjoy!
Heres my Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce Recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Ideas For Serving Bbq Sauce
Recommended Reading: Modern Gourmet Hot Sauce
What Are The Four Types Of Barbecue
You may have heard of different types of barbecues: Carolina, Kansas City, Texas, and Memphis. There are others of course, but these are the most popular styles. But what makes them different?
Best For Chicken: Heinz Carolina Vinegar Style Tangy Bbq Sauce
A little thin
Too much vinegar
When it comes to condiments, Heinz is already a household name. But the culinary giant also teamed up with Sam Jonesthe heir to the legendary Skylight Inn BBQ in North Carolinato create one of the best barbecue sauces around. This Carolina-style barbecue sauce is made with a mixture of white and apple cider vinegar, then blended with some sweetness and spices for a one-of-a-kind tangy flavor thats great on any meat, including chicken, pork, and ribs. And it comes in a convenient squeeze bottle, so you can easily pinch out as much or as little as you want.
A little thick
With simple organic ingredients, the Good Food for Good Classic BBQ Sauce proves that condiments dont have to be complicated and unnatural to be delicious. This barbecue sauce is made with a base of apple cider vinegar and tomato paste and sweetened only with date paste, for a perfect balance of sweet and bold, without any added sugars. Thanks to spices and a little mustard, it has a slight kick, but its still family-friendly.
Can be a little too sweet
South Carolina is known for its gold barbecue saucea mustard-based condiment that has some tang, sweetness, and a lot of deliciousness. And Lillies Q, inspired by Grandma Lillie, a BBQ-enthusiast from the South, is one of the best there is. It has a distinctive, sweet, yet slightly spicy and tangy flavor that lends well to pork and chicken. Its ideal for , slathering, and dipping.
Don’t Miss: Honey Roasted Mustard Chick Fil A
How To Make Homemade Bbq Sauce:
1. Combine ingredients. Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and mix together until smooth.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or up to one hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools.
3. Serve. Slather this stuff on just about anything or store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Double it? I love to make this sauce and keep it in the fridge for several weeks. Depending on your family size you could double the recipe to make a bigger batch. Its delicious for dipping/marinating grilled chicken, spooning on hamburgers or ribs, or dipping as a sauce. Its my go-to when I dont have a dinner plan.
What Ingredients Do I Need For Homemade Bbq Sauce
This sauce is made with just six ingredients you likely have on hand: onion, garlic, ketchup, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Youll blend them together until smooth, then taste and season with salt and pepper. No onion or garlic? No problem. Sub in onion and garlic powders.
If youre looking to take things up a notch, feel free to add some flavor boosters. Liquid smoke, smoked paprika, mustard powder, molasses, cayenne pepper, or garam masala would all be delicious.
Read Also: Hot Ones Eye Of The Scorpion Scoville Units