Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Each layer of this chicken sandwich brings its own unique and tasty flavor profile. Add them all together and youve got an unforgettable sandwich. Crisp greens and sweet bread and butter pickles balance out the rich fried chicken. The smoky paprika sauce adds creaminess and just a little bit of heat.
Frying is undoubtedly more work intensive than many chicken recipes, but it is absolutely worth it. Once you make fried chicken once, youll want to make it again and again. Wow your family by making delicious fried chicken at home.
What Is The Best Cut Of Chicken
When it comes to the chicken aka the star of the show, we are team chicken thighs. Between their deeply flavored dark meat and all those nooks and crannies for holding the batter, thighs are simply the best part of the bird for the frying pan. Plus they are inexpensive and harder to overcook. If you do get skin-on thighs, we have this recipe for chicken skin chips which would be a delicious side!
The Best Spicy Chicken Sandwich
This spicy chicken sandwich is quick & easy to make, yet so juicy and tender to give you a scrumptious burst of flavor in every bite. Tenderized in a buttermilk marinade and topped with spicy mayo, this sandwich is so incredibly delicious and comes together with just a few ingredients.
Don’t Miss: Not So Sloppy Joe Sauce
Chick Fil A Honey Roasted Bbq Sauce Ingrdients
Only a few simple pantry ingredients to make this recipe! In lieu of BBQ Sauce, we are adding a few of the key ingredients to my homemade BBQ Sauce.
For the full list of amounts be sure to read the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
If you dont have any apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar. But, I will suggest you buy a bottle of apple cider vinegar it adds such a wonderful tang to this and many other recipes like my Bourbon Chicken.
Why Isn’t My Fried Chicken Crispy
Oil temperature is the main reason why fried chicken doesn’t get crispy. If it’s not hot enough, the chicken needs to cook longer and will get soggy from soaking up too much oil. When the oil is too hot you risk raw meat and burnt breading. Avoid crowding the pan and use a thermometer to monitor the oil temperature to ensure it stays close to 350 F at all times. It will fluctuate but if you stay ahead of it and adjust the burner accordingly, the chicken will cook properly.
Also Check: Tgi Fridays Jack Daniels Sauce For Sale
How To Make Fried Chicken Healthier
Lets not pretend that a fried chicken sandwich is a healthy option, its definitely a treat meal, but making it at home is a way better option than a takeout version. This sandwich is less than 700 calories and you can also make these changes to make the dish healthier if you so wish
- Use a low-fat/nonfat mayonnaise.
- Use chicken breast instead of thighs.
- Use a whole wheat bun, rather than these brioche buns.
- Add in some more fresh veggies such as tomatoes and onions to your toppings.
Tips For The Best Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Use chicken cutlets, thinly-sliced chicken breasts, or pounded chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken breast for each sandwich. When the cutlets are breaded and fried, they become thick and crispy, creating the perfect ratio of meat-to-bun! A standard-size chicken breast would be way too thick and hard to manage.
- Use either peanut oil, canola oil or vegetable oil to fry the chicken. I typically use peanut oil because it’s affordable, it has a high smoke point, and it will not flavor your meat.
- I like to use a deep-fry thermometer to make sure that the oil reaches and stays at a consistent temperature of 350° F. If you don’t have a thermometer, no problem! Instead, when the oil is hot , add a drop of water to the pan — if it sizzles, the oil is hot enough for the chicken. You want to maintain a fairly steady temperature as the chicken cooks, so don’t overcrowd the pan .
- To ensure crispy chicken, keep the temperature of your oil at a steady 350° F. If the oil is too cool, the chicken will absorb the oil giving it a soggy texture and an unpleasant taste.
- Never cover your warm fried chicken cutlets with foil. This traps steam and moisture, which will make your chicken soggy. Keep the fried chicken warm in a 200° F oven.
- Butter and griddle brioche buns for the best flavor and texture!
Also Check: How To Make A Good Tomato Sauce
Put The Sandwiches Together
- Once the chicken was cooked, I started assembling the sandwiches.
- I started by laying the rolls on a cutting board and then added the sliced grilled chicken.
- We love fresh spinach, so that’s what I used for our grilled chicken sandwiches.
- But you can definitely use your favorite lettuce, followed by sliced tomatoes.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sandwich
Did you know you can make a chicken sandwich filling in your crockpot? Budget-friendly thighs are cooked low and slow with a barbecue sauce until they’re fall-apart tender. For this slow cooker barbecue chicken sandwich, scoop the meat onto toasted buns and top with prepared or homemade coleslaw for an easy weeknight dinner.
Also Check: Lillie’s Carolina Bbq Sauce
How To Use Honey Bbq Sauce
Like any great condiment, there are a lot of different uses for this recipe.
- This is great on my Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Like over the top amazingly good.
- It is amazing with fries. It would even been great with my Sweet Potato Fries.
- This Chick Fil A Sauce is perfect for dipping Chicken Tenders. I have a great recipe that requires no frying.
- I absolutely love this on my Chicken Wraps.
Grilled Chicken And Mozzarella Panini
You can use a panini maker for this pressed grilled chicken and mozzarella panini sandwich or follow the tips included to make it on your gas or charcoal grill. Boneless, skinless, seasoned chicken breasts are sprinkled with rosemary and garlic, and grilled until cooked through and juicy. They’re added to buns, topped with Italian dressing, sliced mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and a little olive oil. Fantastico!
You May Like: Spiced Calamari In Ragout Sauce
Fry The Chicken At 325f Until Golden Brown Ensuring To Flip It Halfway
Depending on the size of the chicken, it will take about 3-4 minutes on each side to cook to perfection. The thickest part of the chicken should register 165F and should have a golden brown and crispy exterior.
I suggest frying one or two pieces at a time, as this will help maintain the temperature the entire way. To avoid splatter, I recommend using a deep frying pan for your frying here is a link to my stainless steel saute pan that I used in my video.
To Marinate The Chicken:
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs: I recommend using the larger pieces without trimming the fat, as this will make the chicken extra juicy and tender.
- I prefer using chicken thighs over breasts for this sandwich as it results in that delicious melt-in-your-mouth texture, but feel free to use chicken breasts if you prefer a denser, more meaty texture.
Read Also: Primal Kitchen Vodka Sauce Recipe
Of The Best Sauces For Chicken Sandwiches You Must Try
Are you planning to make some rocking chicken sandwiches but arent sure what sauce will go well with them? Or are you tired of using the same old saucewant to spice things up a little ? Youre in luck. There are plenty of sauces that work really well with chicken sandwiches, as well as a few you might want to avoid. Ive listed both.
So, what sauces work well with chicken sandwiches? Generally speaking, mayo-based sauces work fabulously well with chicken sandwiches you can mix the mayo with some Greek yogurt to make it healthier, too. Aioli, chipotle mayo, mustard mayo, you name it. A more involved mayo-based sauce is a Chick A Fil sauce. An avocado sauce such as guacamole is also delicious, as is a good old BBQ sauce.
Now, lets have a closer look at those sauces, and some other sauce tips, as well as at what sauces youll want to avoid for your chicken sandwiches!
Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe
I am sort of obsessed with making condiment recipes for you. I love how a simple little sauce or dressing can completely change a recipe.
This is, again, true with this great Chick Fil A Sauce and Grilled Chicken Sandwiches. Those sandwiches are good on their own. But this sauce takes them over the top.
Nathan loves Chick Fil A so much that they know his name there. Im not kidding. And occasionally I go with him and I always grab several packets of the Honey BBQ Sauce. It is so delicious and puts fries and the chicken sandwich over the top.
This Homemade Chick Fil A Sauce is just like what you get there. Even Nathan thinks so quite the endorsement.
Also Check: Lasagna Recipe With Spaghetti Sauce
Key Ingredients In This Recipe
- Horseradish Much of the flavor from the sauce comes from the addition of Silver Springs Prepared Horseradish. Wisconsin-based company is the worlds largest grower and processor of horseradish. Many people dont realize that horseradish is actually a root vegetable which is grated and combined with vinegar and salt for the commonly used condiment and its more familiar signature sharp flavor. Its a great way to enhance the flavor of a roast beef sandwich or freshly shucked oysters particularly when served with a Bloody Mary.
- Mayonnaise The base of this sauce is mayonnaise. While you can make your own using my recipe here, its easiest to just use store-bought!
- Apple cider vinegar Apple cider vinegar gives this sauce its signature tangy flavor.
- Brown sugar Brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness to balance the other flavors in the Alabama white sauce.
Diy Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
Copycat Popeyes Buttermilk fried chicken sandwich with spicy mayo is super crispy, spicy and tastes 1000x BETTER homemade!
If youve been craving fried chicken sandwiches weve got you covered with this delicious crispy Fried chicken Sandwich. Its super crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside and loaded with spices. Its as close as you will get to the famous Popeyes chicken sandwich which is currently sold out everywhere but in my opinion, its so much BETTER and surprisingly easy to make at home!
The sandwich comes together in under 30 minutes and can be prepared overnight. The chicken is first marinated in buttermilk and spices then battered in a mixture of flour, corn starch, and MORE spices. The spices give the sandwich so much flavor but more importantly, they give it a crispy crust that is out of this world.
Also Check: Low Sodium Teriyaki Sauce Kikkoman
To Make Popeyes Chicken Sandwich At Home You Will Need:
- chicken breasts
- brioche buns
To get the perfect size fillet: pound each chicken breast down to about 1/2 inch thickness then cut in half crosswise so you end up with a chicken cutlet about the same size as your buns.
To make 5-minute Buttermilk: Using buttermilk gives the chicken the authentic southern taste and helps the crust develop all those small crinkles that make it extra crispy. If you dont have buttermilk at home, rest assured making your own buttermilk at home is super easy and done in 5 minutes. Stir 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes until the milk begins to curdle.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch helps make the crust super crispy and light as opposed to just battering the chicken with just flour. I highly recommend using it for the best results but If you dont have cornstarch at home, replace it with more flour and add 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
The Bun: Using brioche buns takes this sandwich to the next level and will replicate the flavor and texture of Popeyes chicken sandwich.
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches With Homemade Bbq Sauce
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EffortlessMeals #CollectiveBias
Need a meal in a hurry? Ive got you covered with Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Homemade BBQ Sauce. Start with a rotisserie chicken, pre-made coleslaw and a homemade barbecue sauce that comes together quickly. Place pulled BBQ chicken on a bun, top with coleslaw and serve with a Coke and youve got yourself an effortless meal perfect for those busy school nights.
Have your kids started school yet? My son started kindergarten last week and the transition has been easier than I thought. The first few days were a little roughon me that is, since Im not use to him being gone all day. I dont hear him and his sister bickering back and forth but I also dont hear their laughter as they use their imaginations to play either. The days have been long and I cannot wait for the end of the day to pick him up and hear how his day went. So far, he loves school and each night cannot wait to go back in the morning. I can hope the enthusiasm lasts all year-long!
So while its been a little bit of a transition for us, Ive found a whole new level of freedom and more time on my hands. So whats a girl to do with all this free time? Well lemme tell you. I can go to the gym, shop with my daughter, hit up the grocery store and still be back home by noon. Who knew I could accomplish so much?
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Creamy Garlic Butter Chicken Oven Sauce
What Sauces To Avoid Serving With Chicken Sandwiches
Anything thats too runny, like a runny salad dressing, can turn your chicken sandwich soggy. Opt for creamy, not runny. Like a honey mustard sauce on its own without blending it with mayo.
Another thing to consider is that while mayo mixed with hot sauce is delicious, hot sauce alone might be a tad over the top.
Of course, there are people who love hot sauce on its own as they can handle the heat.
However, the creaminess you get when you mix the hot sauce with mayo, cream cheese, or any other creamy base is what truly makes the sandwich top-notch.
How To Make A Crispy Chicken Sandwich
The best recipes are made right at home including our version of a crispy chicken sandwich! With a simple brine, and the triple dipped coating featuring Argo cornstarch, achieving the crispiest chicken is so simple to do!
1. Brine chicken breasts and set aside.
2. Mix Argo Cornstarch with flour and seasonings. This mixture will create both a dredge and a wet batter.
3. Remove chicken from the brine, dip in the dry dredge, dip in the wet batter and then back into the dry mixture. .
4. Fry until crispy, 3-4 minutes per side.
Read Also: How To Make Pasta Sauce White
What You Need To Fry Chicken At Home
It might sound intimidating to turn your kitchen into a fry zone. With just a few simple tools, youll have a no-fail setup for a safe, clean, and fun frying experience.
To get ready to fry, use a large high-sided pot and be sure to keep your oil at 350°F. My favorite trick is to use a splatter screen to protect yourself from any oil.
To make incredible fried chicken, you want the exterior of each piece to get dark and crispy.
How To Grill The Chicken
- Combine the ingredients for the chicken sandwich sauce in a small bowl. Set aside while you prepare the grilled chicken.
- I needed to get dinner cooked fast, so I used my favorite Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan. Cooking chicken in a cast iron pan always turns out delicious.
- To give the chicken extra flavor, you can marinade in Italian salad dressing for about an hour. For this recipe, I chose to keep it simple and season with my “house seasoning” which is a combination of garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Always make sure the chicken cooks to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. And yes, I always check with an Digital Meat Thermometer.
Recommended Reading: Is Tzatziki Sauce Keto Friendly
Minute Vegan Dips & Sauces For The Win
This sweet chicken sandwich sauce is what I call an Easy Weeknight Recipe which is on your table in under 30 minutes. These quick and simple recipes are perfect for those nights when you want a healthy homecooked meal but dont want to spend hours in the kitchen. I have a whole section of The Herbeevore dedicated to Easy Weeknight Meals, that are great for the whole family. From soups and stews, to pastas and proteins a healthy meal can be on your table in no time. Even faster than ordering takeout!