Tzatziki Sauce Step By Step Photos:
I recommend letting the tzatziki rest for at least an hour and up to overnight to fully let the flavors come together and pronounce themselves. If you taste the tzatziki right after mixing versus after a few hours in the fridge, you will definitely taste a difference. The garlic will be more pronounced and, if you decide to add herbs, they will have settled their essences in the yogurt.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make This Zero Point Tzatziki Sauce
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt the thicker the Greek yogurt you use the thicker the texture will be. I like to use either Fage or Chobani
- Lemon juice-fresh or bottled will work
- Minced garlic-you can use the bottled minced garlic or mince one clove
- Salt-for added flavor
- Dill-to enhance the flavor. You can use dry or fresh. I using love fresh dill.
Can The Greek Chicken Kebabs Be Made In The Oven
We know not everyone has a grill or it may be winter when youre wanting to make this recipe. So yes, you can certainly make the kebabs in the oven. Simply bake in the oven set at 400ºF for 25-35 minutes. Flip the skewers halfway through. Cooking time will depend on how large the chicken pieces are.
Looking for guidance with meal planning? Check out Real Plans, a highly customizable online meal planning service that includes over 300 of our very own recipes.
Don’t Miss: Cross And Blackwell Mint Sauce
Ingredients For An Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
The main ingredients for making an authentic Greek tzatziki recipe are plenty of fresh garlic, extra creamy thick yogurt and cucumber. A great Tzatziki sauce is all about the garlic. If you are not afraid of the smell use a little extra. Your tastebuds will thank you!
Most tzatziki recipes outside Greece call for the use of chopped dill or mint. However, for the authentic Greek tzatziki sauce recipe it is rarely, if ever, used! In Cyprus tzatziki is called Talatouri, and is made with fresh or dry mint, and lemon juice instead of vinegar.
How Long Does Homemade Tzatziki Last
Homemade tzatziki sauce will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Because it includes fresh vegetables , they begin to lose a lot of moisture and make the Greek tzatziki sauce runny.
This easy tzatziki sauce recipe makes 1 1/2 cups, so you can always cut it in half if you wont eat it within a few daysbut I dont think that will be a problem!
Recommended Reading: Dave’s Ultimate Insanity Sauce
Meal Prep And Storage
- To Prep Ahead: This recipe is easy to prep ahead. Make it up to 1-2 days in advance.
- To Store: Homemade tzatziki sauce will last for up to a week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. After a few days in the refrigerator the yogurt may begin to separate. You can either drain out the liquid or give it a good stir and serve away.
- To Freeze: The yogurt will separate once thawed so freezing is not recommended.
How Do I Make This Zero Point Tzatziki Sauce
In a bowl combine, non fat plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic clove or minced garlic, salt, and dill.
Using a hand grater, grate English cucumber onto a plate.
After cucumber is grated, lightly squeeze the grated cucumber between your palms over the sink or garbage to remove excess liquid.
Then transfer the squeezed cucumber into the yogurt mixture.
Stir until all ingredients have been incorporated.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Read Also: Primal Kitchen Bbq Sauce Walmart
What To Serve With Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
An authentic tzatziki sauce recipe can be used in so many different ways. Of course, tzatziki dip can be eaten as a dip, a spread, or a topping for sandwiches and/or salads.
Here are some low carb recipes to pair with easy tzatziki sauce:
- Lamb Kofta Kebab Serve as a dipping sauce for the kebabs
- Roasted Cauliflower Hummus Serve the hummus, tzatziki recipe, and kalamata olives as a Mediterranean platter
- Chopped Mediterranean Salad Add a dollop of protein-rich easy tzatziki sauce
- Keto Falafels Add these to your Greek platter!
- Keto Almond Flour Crackers Or keep it really simple and just dip, dip, dip!
How To Prevent Cucumber Dip From Being Watery
When making dips and sauces with cucumbers, there is one thing to remember: squeeze the cucumber of any excess moisture. It will make the sauce watery, especially after it sits in the fridge to chill. Place shredded cucumber on a double layer of paper towels or in a colander with small holes, and squeeze or press the juice out. You can use it in smoothies or cocktails or just simply drink it up.
Recommended Reading: Walmart Taco Bell Chipotle Sauce
Grill Food At Its Finest
The summer heat is here so in efforts to keep the house cool, grilling has become our go-to method of cooking. Not only does it move the cooking outdoors it also gives food that subtly, smokey grill-flavor we crave. At our homes, we both use a Traeger grill for all of our grilling needs. However, any kind of grill will work so long as you achieve the recommended temperature of the meat that youre grilling.
These Grilled Greek Chicken Kabobs with Tzatziki Sauce are a recipe youll want to try whether it be for a weeknight grill-out or backyard cookout with friends on the weekend. Theyre incredibly flavorful thanks to the marinade made of lemon, garlic, and oregano as well as the easy and delicious homemade Tzatziki Sauce used for dipping or drizzling. Kebabs are a great way to sneak in veggies in a tasty and fun way. We know youre going to love this recipe and bonus because its meal-prep friendly! Our favorite way to serve the leftovers is on a big green salad drizzled with Tzatziki.
Confused about poultry labeling? Check this post out to learn all about how to choose the best chicken in the grocery store.
This post may contain affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
How To Make The Best Tzatziki Sauce
Cover the bowl tightly and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. As the ingredients sit together the sauce becomes more and more flavorful!
Also Check: Classico Alfredo Sauce Shrimp Recipe
Greek Tzatziki Sauce With Garlic And Dill
The Greek version of cucumber yogurt sauce is known as tzatziki which is full of bright and fragrant fresh dill.
When I have a few extra minutes, I love turning plain yogurt into a delicious side dish by mixing it with cucumbers, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs.
For an Indian twist, I’ll throw in chopped cilantro and garam masala to create Cucumber Yogurt Raita.
For a Syrian twist, I add plenty of fresh or dried mint to create Cucumber Yogurt Mint Sauce .
How To Prep Greek Chicken Kebabs
Whether its for your weekend meal prep or youre trying to get a head start on dinner preparation heres what I recommend for both scenarios.
- Weekend meal prep: follow the recipe as written. After grilling kebabs, remove the chicken and veggies from the skewers and store in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store the Tzatziki Sauce in a mason jar or container for up to 3 days. To serve, see best way to enjoy leftovers below.
- Dinner prep: the day before, prep the veggies, cube the chicken, make the marinade, and make the Tzatziki Sauce. The chicken can marinate up to 24 hours. Store the veggies in a container in the fridge and the Tzatziki sauce in a mason jar or container with a lid in the fridge until ready to assemble/serve.
Also Check: Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet Chili Sauce
Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
You NEED to learn how to make tzatziki sauce. Yes, its that important. And good news for you, my Greek tzatziki sauce recipe is beyond easy and can be used in so many different ways. Youll want to dip, slather, and top just about everything with this easy tzatziki sauce. Seriously, its so delicious and so, so versatile.
So, are you in? Are you ready to make your own homemade tzatziki sauce?
YES! Im so glad youre still here and ready to make tzatziki sauce yourself. Ill walk you through all of the steps below.
If youve been reading for a long time, you may know that I used to work at a Greek restaurant! It was there that I fell in love with Mediterranean foods and I havent looked back. I make tzatziki sauce all the time, I cant believe Ive never shared my version here before. But Im sharing now, and I hope you love it as much as we do!
More About Recipe For To Zieke Sauce
TZATZIKI SAUCE RECIPE – NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
- Peel and finely dice the cucumber, or you can grate on the large holes of a box grater if preferred. Transfer to a bowl lined with a cheesecloth* and sprinkle cucumbers with 1/2 tsp salt and give them a light stir. Set aside for the cucumbers to release their juice while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, grated garlic cloves, chopped dill, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, or season to taste.
AUTHENTIC TZATZIKI SAUCE RECIPE
- Prep the cucumber. In a food processor, grate the cucumbers. Toss with 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer over a deep bowl to drain. Spoon the grated cucumber into a cheese cloth or a double thickness napkin and squeeze dry. Set aside briefly.
- In one large mixing bowl, place the garlic with remaining 1/2 tsp salt, white vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Mix to combine.
- Add the grated cucumber to the large bowl with the garlic mixture. Stir in the yogurt and white pepper. Combine thoroughly. Cover tightly and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- When ready to serve, stir the tzatziki sauce to refresh and transfer to serving bowl, drizzle with more extra virgin olive oil, if you like. Add a side of warm pita bread and your favorite vegetables. Enjoy!
TZATZIKI SAUCE RECIPE | GYRO SAUCE RECIPE
Recommended Reading: Chicken Of The Sea Sardines In Louisiana Hot Sauce Nutrition
What To Eat And Serve With Greek Tzatziki Sauce
Greek tzatziki sauce can be served as part of a meze platter. I meze platter is a combination of Greek starter dishes like dolmades, meatballs, pita breads and vegetables like plump tomatoes, cucumbers and black olives. Also, slices of Greek cheeses like graviera and feta cheese are a very nice addition to a meze platter.
Tzatziki is also perfect to accompany grilled meat of any kind, chicken, pork or lamb and of course if you serve with some juicy chicken and pork skewers you will have a match made in heaven!
If you are a vegetarian try pairing tzatziki sauce with grilled vegetables like carrots, corn, peppers and green beans or even a delicious Greek lentil salad!
Expert Tips And Tricks
- Use seedless cucumbers. Cucumbers with seeds can be used but the seeds will need to be scooped out before making the recipe.
- Full-fat Greek yogurt is creamiest. Non-fat, 2%, or even a dairy-free yogurt may also be used. But, this will give you a different taste and texture.
- Pull out that processor. Running the cucumbers through a food processor is way easier than grating them by hand.
- Drain all of the liquid. A cheese cloth is the easiest to use to ensure you remove all of the liquid from the grated cucumbers.
- Dont over-mix. Its nice to have a few chunks of cucumber throughout the sauce.
Don’t Miss: Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce
Ingredients For The Greek Chicken Kebabs
For the marinade & skewers:
- Salt & pepper
- Red pepper flakes for just a tiny bit of kick.
- Chicken breasts boneless, skinless is what we use. You could also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Vegetables a mix of zucchini, sweet bell pepper , and red onion.
- Skewers metal skewers or wooden skewers soaked in water for 30-minutes before assembling kebabs.
For the tzatziki sauce:
- English cucumber grated and squeezed to remove water. Not all of the water needs to be removed, just a little bit so that the cucumber isnt extremely watery. Check out this grater.
- Plain Greek yogurt any plain greek yogurt will work . For a dairy-free or Whole30 Tzatziki, try our Paleo Tzatziki Sauce.
- Lemon juice we like to use fresh lemon juice. Check out this manual juicer here.
For 10% off of all Primal Kitchen products use code: REALFOODRDS
What Is Tzatziki Sauce Served With
I have been putting this Greek Tzatziki Sauce on everything! If you make this sauce or any of my recipes, dont forget to post a picture social media and use the hashtag #imhungrybynature!
*For Whole30, use dairy free yogurt I love using a coconut or almond milk based yogurt!
Keywords: condiment, greek, meal prep, make ahead
You May Like: How To Remove Old Tomato Sauce Stains From Clothing
Servings: Makes 4 Servings
PersonalPoints*: 0-1 PersonalPoints
*This number shows the PersonalPoints range. The points will vary based on your individualized plan. If the number is Zero, that means the recipe is packed with ZeroPoint foods that you dont have to count!
You can click HERE to go directly to the WW recipe builder to create the recipe and to obtain the Personal Points on your individualized plan.
Smartpoints: GREEN: 1 SmartPoint per serving BLUE/PURPLE: ZERO SmartPoints per serving
How To Make Tzatziki
Tzatziki! Tsaht-ZEE-kee! Otherwise known as that yogurt and cucumber sauce you love at Greek restaurants but worry about mispronouncing .
Tzatziki is made simply with yogurt, drained cucumber, olive oil, fresh herbs , garlic, lemon juice and salt. Its a refreshing chilled sauce, dip or spread.
I traveled to Greece last fall and ordered tzatziki at every restaurant. Im serious. I enjoyed tzatziki with every single meal, even breakfast. This recipe tastes just like authentic tzatziki.
I tend to associate tzatziki with Greek food, but youll find it served across the Mediterranean and Middle East, sometimes under different names or in slightly different forms.
Tzatziki is often served with grilled meats and gyros, but I cant think of a grilled or roasted vegetable it wouldnt play nicely with. You can also serve up some tzatziki with your next appetizer spread. Lets make some already!
Recommended Reading: What Is Mcdonald’s Special Sauce
Easy Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
This Greek Tzatziki Sauce is a quick and easy low-carb recipe. Greek yogurt, shredded cucumber, fresh dill, lemon juice, and garlic are combined in a food processor for an amazingly authentic flavor. Enjoy this homemade Mediterranean sauce with kabobs, gyros, or falafel.
Paleo Tzatziki Sauce Is Going To Rock Your World
This recipe is dairy-free, whole30-friendly and vegan optional.
Paleo Tzatziki Sauce is a garlicky and flavorful sauce thats made with just 6 simple real food ingredients. You know us, were all about simplicity here! Tzatziki is a mediterranean Greek dish thats traditionally made with yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice and herbs and is served over grilled meats or as a dip for pita bread and veggies. The perfect accompaniment to your Greek inspired meals! To make it paleo, Whole30 compliant and dairy-free, I combined full-fat canned coconut milk and mayo to take the place of the yogurt. However, if yogurt is your thing you can certainly keep it traditional and make it with plain yogurt instead.
Move over Ranch! Paleo Tzatziki Sauce is in the house!
Hey, did you see our One-Pan Greek Chicken Veggie Bake recipe that we shared on PaleOMGs blog?
Whats your favorite special sauce? Comment below and let us know!
Recommended Reading: Sweet Baby Ray’s Hawaiian Bbq Sauce Recipes
Refrigerator Life Of Tzatziki
When it hits the spot, youll eat it all within a few days. Good thing, or make less. Youll need to stir it up about every time you want to use it because you will find the lemon juice and yogurt whey separate from the thicker sauce. Plan on using it within 3-4 days.
In only 10 minutes, you can make it for yourself!
Some people swear that it must be made with mint instead, but dill is how I fell in love with it, and so dill it is. You may do what you like, the recipe below is the same either way .
What Is Tzatziki Sauce
Tzaziki is a Greek cucumber yogurt dip. Its a healthy sauce you can serve with chicken, grilled veggies, pita chips, gyros, and as a raw veggie dip. My cousin Alla is a fabulous cook and Im blessed to be able to glean from her kitchen wisdom.
Homemade Tzatziki is also a healthy sauce with just 57 calories in a generous 1/4 cup serving. Try this once and you will love the fresh flavors.
Also Check: Where Is Texas Pete Hot Sauce Made