What To Serve With Healthy Shrimp Tacos
- Beans. A side of Instant Pot Refried Beans would be delicious with these tacos.
- Cornbread. For a hearty, filling side, try these tacos with Mexican Cornbread.
- . Pour yourself a tasty Skinny Margarita, and call it done!
Whether you cook these tacos outdoors or in, Id love to know how this recipe turns out for you. Dont forget to leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
This Cilantro Lime Sauce Is A Delicious And Easy Dressing It Pairs Well With So Many Meals Cilantro Lime Crema Is Especially Good On Tacos And Slaw
Why do I love cilantro lime sauce so much? I can put it on everything. Thats why. Tacos, burrito bowls, chips, eggs, and sandwiches. One of my absolute favorite ways to use it is as a salad dressing.
If you love cilantro, you will love this creamy cilantro lime dressing recipe!
What is Cilantro Lime Dressing and What is In It?
Cilantro lime sauce is a blended creamy sauce. It uses cilantro, lime juice, and sour cream as the primary flavors.
This recipe is made with olive oil, avocado, green onion , cilantro, garlic, lime juice, salt, and sour cream .
How to Make Cilantro Lime Dressing:
Sauce recipes like this one make me happy because theyre super simple. Just add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender or a food processor, and pulse until everythings combined.
Be sure to leave some small visible bits of cilantro in there. It tastes better if you stop blending before all of the ingredients have completely combined.
Looking for a sauce with a little more kick? Try my Creamy Green Sauce! Its ridiculously good. Its similar to this recipe because its filled with tons of whole green ingredients and pairs perfectly with just about everything.
Amount Per Serving:
Nutrition information isnt always accurate.
What Goes In Shrimp Tacos
How to make Spicy Shrimp tacos?
Step-1: Add chili powder, cumin powder, cayenne pepper powder, chopped garlic and salt to shrimp.
Step-2: Toss everything together.
Step-3: Cook in a skillet with oil, on both sides.
Step-4: Make cilantro lime sauce.
Step-5: Add shredded cabbage, carrot, cilantro, red onion and sliced jalapeños in a bowl.
Step-6: Add honey and some cilantro lime sauce. Toss well.
Step-7 & 8 : Assemble tacos Pile slaw, spicy shrimp, sauce, tomatoes, chopped cilantro and jalapeños.
Toppings for shrimp tacos :
Any tacos toppings are delicious for shrimp tacos like avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado crema, lettuce, cabbage, cilantro, jalapenos, squeeze of lime, Cotija cheese and Queso fresco.
After years of taste testing , I found that Cabbage , carrot, cilantro, jalapeños and chopped tomato made ONE delicious topping to a spicy tacos recipe.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Make Fried Shrimp Tacos
These shrimp tacos are done in a few steps: Fry the shrimp, make the corn tortillas, blend the dressing, and assemble. If you choose to make the shrimp in advance and buy the corn tortillas already made, this meal comes together even quicker! To make this shrimp taco recipe, follow the steps below included in the printable recipe card. Make sure to refer back to the article for additional information.
Cilantro Lime Crema Ingredients:
- Sour cream if preferred you can use 1/2 cup sour cream instead of adding mayonnaise. Light sour cream will work great.
- Mayonnaise use good quality mayonnaise like Hellmans/Best Foods for best flavor.
- Lime fresh lime juice makes all the difference.
- Cilantro this is a highlight of the sauce, dont omit it.
- Garlic a little goes a long way, youll only need 1 tsp.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Wings Recipe
Shrimp Tacos With Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw
These shrimp tacos are a flavor explosion! They strike the perfect balance between spicy shrimp, crisp and tangy slaw, and creamy avocado. With so much flavor, I guarantee youll make this shrimp taco recipe again and again!
Are you ready for the best shrimp tacos ever? You know Im a fan of shrimp recipes, but Ill be honest, these shrimp tacos might just be my favorite. They satisfy my cravings for spicy Mexican flavors, are approachable enough for an easy weeknight dinner, and will hit the spot as a crowd pleaser. Id say thats an unbeatable combo!
Just season your shrimp, give them a quick saute, and whip up a mouthwatering cilantro lime bacon coleslaw. A drizzle of lime crema takes them over the top for a seriously delicious taco. And if youre thinking about a full fiesta spread, keep reading for delicious Mexican recipes to add to the table .
Shrimp Tacos With Cilantro Lime Sauce
This post contains affiliate links. I make a commission from sales. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, read mydisclosure policy.
Shrimp tacos with cilantro lime sauce is a great option for taco Tuesday. Low-carb, gluten-free, and delicious.
If youve never tried shrimp tacos before, nows the time. The shrimp are perfectly seasoned and topped with a delicious cilantro lime sauce. Cilantro, lime and shrimp together? Yes!
These shrimp tacos with cilantro lime sauce are easy to assemble too! Fresh, raw shrimp works the best for this recipe. However, if you have raw, frozen shrimp, that works too. Youll just need to defrost it first.
You May Like: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Can You Use Precooked Shrimp
Yes you can! Pre-cooked shrimp is available at most grocery store seafood counters and is really quite convenient. Skip the steps that involve cooking the shrimp and simply toss your pre-cooked shrimp with a little bit of the sauce for flavor. This will produce a cold shrimp taco. If you want it warm, heat gently in a saucepan briefly, just until warm.
Shrimp Tacos With A Cilantro Lime Sauce
I have been favoring shrimp lately and I keep finding myself craving shrimp tacos. This time around I made some spicy shrimp with a homemade guac and cilantro lime sauce. The flavors were perfectly balanced, leaving my taste buds wanting more. There are three key components to make this recipe and I am happy to share the recipe for how I do them.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Wings Sauce Recipe
Other Favorite Homemade Sauces
Iâm obsessed with making savory homemade sauces! Down with store bought! Here are a handful of my favorites that you are sure to fall in love with. These all make for great gifts, too!
- Enchilada Sauce is more delicious than anything you can buy at the store and it is super easy to make. It only requires a handful of ingredients and is done in 15 minutes, with perfect flavor and consistency.
- Alfredo Sauce is super easy to make, done in under 10 minutes.
- A copycat recipe of the famous Arbyâs Sauce that makes sandwiches sing! This zingy flavorful BBQ style sauce is so delicious
- This homemade Pizza Sauce takes less than 25 minutes to make!
- Pasta Sauce is super easy, meaty and hearty when made in an Instant Pot. Using a pressure cooker to cook pasta sauce makes it flavorful and quick to prepare, but tastes like is has simmered on the stove all day.
- Make your own Taco Sauce to use in a variety of Mexican dishes, such as tacos, burritos and taco salads. Ditch the store-bought version so you know EXACTLY what goes inside!
How To Make This Shrimp Tacos Recipe
STEP ONE: Mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, dried basil, and cayenne pepper. Use this mixture to thoroughly coat all the shrimp.
PRO TIP: If youre not entirely a fan of spicy food, feel free to remove the spicy elements such as the chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeno, and hot sauce!
STEP TWO: In a skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter. Add in the shrimp, lemon juice, and soy sauce. Cook the shrimp until pink on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
PRO TIP: You will know when the shrimp is cooked when it is pink and no longer gray or translucent, and the shrimp curls slightly. Shrimp usually takes about 1 to 3 minutes to cook on either side depending on the size of the shrimp used. Dont spend more than 4 to 6 minutes cooking the shrimp or it will be overdone and rubbery.
STEP THREE: Make your spicy cilantro lime sauce.In a food processor or blender, blend together the sour cream, buttermilk, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, hot sauce, garlic powder, and salt. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: To assemble the tacos, warm the corn tortillas and then start with a layer of homemade or store-bought guacamole and spread it on the bottom center of each tortilla. Then layer it with a small bunch of green cabbage followed by the cooked shrimp. Drizzle some of the cilantro-lime sauce over each taco and then top with a squeeze of lime juice, feta cheese, and chopped cilantro.
STEP FIVE: Plate and enjoy!
Also Check: World’s Strongest Hot Sauce
A Few Tips For Cooking Perfect Shrimp:
- When shrimp is raw the flesh is a grayish color. As it cooks, the protein turns to an opaque whitish-pink color. Shrimp cook VERY quickly about 2-3 minutes per side so dont take your eyes off of them while theyre cooking.
- The shrimp should curl up into a loose C shape when properly cooked. If they have curled up into a tight O shape, then the shrimp is probably overcooked.
- Cook the shrimp right before serving, so the shrimp dont dry out while preparing the other components of this dish.
What To Serve With These Spicy Shrimp Tacos
Make it a feast! Here are some of our favorite recipes to make alongside these delicious little pockets of goodness.
These shrimp tacos are fast, easy, and give me something to look forward to at the end of the day.
For example: TV and tacos! Late-night work and tacos! Friends and tacos! Hanging out on the deck with the dog and tacos!
Everything is better with tacos.
Cheers to many warm-weather nights with tons and tons of shrimp tacos in your future!
PS. Okay, for people who are extra: these cute little taco holders* will make you feel like youre at a restaurant and they are worth a browse, if youre a taco accessory kind of a person .
Also Check: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
How Can I Control The Spice Level/heat In Cilantro
Some like it hot, and others dont. It is easy to adjust this recipe to your own personal taste preferences. For those who enjoy heat, this recipe is a good medium heat. To decrease the spice level, either reduce or omit the red pepper flakes from the cilantro-lime sauce, and reduce or omit the serrano pepper. To increase the spice level, use a spicier pepper, or double the amount of serrano and red pepper flakes.
Buying And Preparing Shrimp:
Fresh or frozen shrimp: Obviously try to buy fresh shrimp if you live in an area where that is possible. Note that shrimp that appears fresh at the produce counter of your grocery store is usually thawed frozen shrimp. I prefer to buy frozen shrimp from the freezer section and thaw it myself.
Purchasemedium or large tail-on, un-cooked shrimp. Shrimp comes in all varieties at the store but as a general rule we recommend buying tail-on, un-cooked shrimp. The shells help the shrimp keep their flavor. After thawing, remove the shells and tails.
To thaw frozen shrimp, refrigerate them overnight or for quick thaw, pour them into a bowl and cover them with ice water for about an hour. Drain the shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.
You May Like: How To Make Buffalo Sauce With Texas Pete
Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw
- Bacon: Just follow my oven baked bacon recipe for easy, crispy bacon.
- Green Cabbage: Green or red cabbage will work!
- Cilantro Leaves: Cilantro make for the perfect pairing with lime.
- Olive Oil & Lime Juice: Brings this slaw to life with fresh, zesty flavor!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Make Shrimp Tacos
- In a medium bowl whisk together cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add shrimp and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook until opaque and cooked through, tossing once halfway through cooking, about 3 4 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk together all sauce ingredients while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble tacos, layer red cabbage, shrimp, avocado slices, and chopped cilantro over warmed tortillas. Drizzle with Cilantro-Lime Sauce.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Rao’s Sauce
How To Defrost Shrimp For Shrimp Tacos
I love shrimp because its so convenient, you dont have to chop any raw meat, and it cooks super quickly. If you keep frozen shrimp on hand, then you can make these Shrimp Tacos any night of the week! Once your shrimp is defrosted then it will cook up in minutes literally.
- There are two options for defrosting your shrimp. To quickly defrost, place the frozen shrimp in a fine-mesh sieve or colander. Place this sieve in a large bowl of cold tap water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, replace the water in the bowl with new cold tap water and resubmerge the shrimp. Let shrimp sit an additional 10- 20 minutes. At this point the shrimp should be completely defrosted.
- The easier way to defrost your shrimp if you remember in advance is to remove your frozen shrimp to a covered bowl and let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- Whatever you do, resist the urge to use warm tap water as this will cause the shrimp to defrost and cook unevenly.
Shrimp Tacos With Spicy Cilantro Lime Sauce
These delicious and easy shrimp tacos are perfect for a fun family dinner. The homemade spicy cilantro lime sauce tastes ah-maz-ing on top of your tacos! First, youll simply cook the shrimp, then whip together a buttermilk sauce so good, you wont believe you made it yourself! Just assemble your tacos and youll wonder why you ever order in!
MORE MEXICAN DISH RECIPES:
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ to 1 teaspoon hot sauce, adjust based on spice preference
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Additional chopped cilantro
You May Like: What Alfredo Sauce Is Keto Friendly
How To Make Cilantro Lime Sauce For Tacos
MAKE THE CILANTRO LIME SAUCE FOR TACOS
In a food processor or blender, combine the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, green onions, salt and pepper. Process/puree until creamy. Pour into a container, cover and chill until ready to serve.
MAKE THE TACOS
Place the shrimp in a rimmed, shallow pan or a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over top of the shrimp and toss to coat. Season shrimp by spooning the taco seasoning evenly over tops, ensuring all surfaces are coated. Let sit in pan for 5 minutes.
Pour the contents of the pan into a large skillet. Cook the shrimp in skillet over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes, or until shrimp are heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl .
Place soft flour or corn tortillas on plates and top with shrimp, cheese , tomatoes, lettuce, red cabbage, onions, guacamole, jalapenos and salsa. Squeeze fresh lime juice over tops, if desired, top with cilantro and the Cilantro Lime Sauce and serve with extra lime wedges!
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Take care not to overcook the shrimp, they only take a few minutes to cook through and can become chewy in texture if overcooked.
- Warm the tortillas in the oven or on a gas cooktop before filling. This will help them to be more pliable so they wont rip when you fold them.
- I prefer to use full-fat sour cream and mayo for the creamiest flavor, but you can use low-fat if you prefer.
- This shrimp taco seasoning is so good and flavorful. Dont omit any of the spices.
- The shrimp taco sauce is made with equal parts sour cream and mayo but you can substitute them with yogurt and avocado oil mayo for a healthier alternative.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
How To Make Shrimp Tacos:
- For the Cilantro-Lime Sauce: in a bowl whisk together all ingredients while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Season the shrimp: in a medium bowl whisk together chipotle chili powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and toss until evenly coated.
- Cook the shrimp: heat olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook until opaque and cooked through, tossing once halfway through cooking, about 3 4 minutes.
- To assemble tacos: layer cabbage, shrimp, avocados and Cotija over taco shells. Drizzle with Cilantro-Lime Sauce.