How To Make Mac And Cheese
What Are The Four Types Of Roux
There are four types of roux: white, blond, brown and dark. They all contain the same ingredientsequal parts flour and fatbut the colors differ based on how long you cook the mixture.
- White roux is the most common and has the most thickening power. Youll find it in recipes for white sauce and soups. You only cook this roux long enough to eliminate the flours raw flavor, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Blond roux has an off-white color you could call eggshell and a buttery flavor. Its perfect for quick pan sauces. You would use this type of roux to make veloute but you can also use it in any recipe that calls for a white roux. Blond roux cooks for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Brown roux is caramel-colored and has a nutty, rich flavor. Use it in complex soups and stews, and cook it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Dark roux is the darkest and most flavorful roux. It requires constant stirring. Youll also find that many cooks use vegetable oil instead of butter for a dark roux, to avoid burning the butter. Youll end up with a maple-colored mixture that doesnt have as much thickening power as the lighter versions, but it is deeply flavorful. To reach this level, cook at least 45 minutes.
Can I Make This In Advance
One of my favourite things about this creamy cheese sauce is that it can be made ahead of time! Prepare your sauce, cool it until it is room temperature, and transfer it into an airtight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, and then reheated in a saucepan over low heat when ready to use. Convenient!
Also Check: Rao Sauces
What Is Roux Used For
You can make a wide variety of dishes once you know how to make a roux, depending on what type youre making .
In particular, in French cooking, a roux serves as the base for three of what are known as the mother sauces:
- Béchamel sauce: A creamy white sauce made with a white roux and milk.
- Velouté sauce: A velvety, savory sauce made with a white or blond roux and stock, such as chicken stock.
- Espagnole sauce: A strongly flavorful brown sauce made using a brown roux, stock, meat, vegetables, sugar, and seasonings.
Keep These Tips In Mind When Cooking With Cheese:
- Shred, crumble, or finely dice the cheese before heating to ensure quick, smooth melting. The colder the cheese is, the easier it will be to cut.
- The less you heat cheese, the better. When making soup, sauce, or fondue, add the cheese last then heat it only as long as it takes to melt. If it gets too hot it will get tough. Often, you can remove the pan from the burner the residual heat will melt the cheese.
- Allow the shredded cheese to come to room temperature before adding it to a hot mixture.
- Starch will keep the cheese from curdling. If using all-purpose flour, add it to the mixture before the cheese it needs to be cooked for a few minutes to remove the starchy taste.
- Adding an acidic ingredient such as wine or lemon juice will help prevent the cheese from becoming stringy. This is why most cheese fondue recipes have a base of white wine. Simply sprinkle some lemon juice over the shredded cheese before heating it.
- Reduced-fat cheeses melt differently than regular full-fat cheeses. Reduced fat cheese will take longer to melt and will not have the same velvety consistency in the sauce. Be sure to shred reduced-fat cheese very finely, and allow it to melt over very low heat while stirring constantly.
Don’t Miss: Can Tomatoes Cause Gout Flare Ups
What Are The Right Ratios For A Roux
Use an easy-to-remember equal quantity of flour to butter. This gives a good all-round thick, paste and makes it easier to incorporate the liquid. Your mixture will be less likely to go lumpy.
A good ratio for a basic sauce is:
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml whole milk
Try our easy white sauce recipe for a step-by-step guide to velvety smooth sauce. Want an easy to follow video tutorial? Watch our video and learn how to make our easiest ever white sauce.
What Can You Substitute For Flour In A Roux
For gluten-free thickening power, look to any of these ways to thicken a sauce. Skip the flour and make a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry as a thickener to mix into your sauce or soup at the end of the cooking time. Or, if you want to keep the nutty flavor of a roux, try swapping in sweet rice flour for wheat flour. Its ground from glutinous rice, so it creates the same silky texture as using regular flour.
Also Check: Ragu Alfredo Sauce Gluten-free
Choose Your Cheeses Thoughtfully
You might think you can just throw whatever cheeses you happen to have in the fridge into your mac and cheese, and, to a certain extent thats true. But if youre looking to make the creamiest mac and cheese you possibly can, youll want to be a little more discerning. A cheese like Parmesan, for instance, isnt going to melt super well, meaning its better for a topper than for your creamy cheese sauce. Cheddar and similar cheeses that melt well will make your sauce the creamiest it can be.
The most popular approach is to make your mac and cheese entirely on the stovetop.
Most of the stovetop recipes are based on the same basic process:
Thats not to say its simple though. Making a roux is fiddly and time consuming. So why do it?
What Is Garlic Parmesan Sauce Made Of
Garlic Parmesan Sauce is a creamy, dense sauce made from garlic, flour, milk, and cheese. It is quite a versatile sauce and can be used to make pizza, pasta, spaghetti, baked vegetables, chicken wings, and even rice. You can make an adult version of this parmesan cheese sauce by adding some wine or sherry to it.
You May Like: What’s In Big Mac Special Sauce
Recipes With Roux Sauce
- Slow Cooker Beef Gravy uses this roux as a base and is perfect for topping mashed potatoes and roast beef recipes.
- Portuguese Shrimp Empanadas use a roux to make the creamy shrimp filling, and they are delicious. One of my favorites!
- Roasted Vegetables with Cheese Sauce uses a roux to make the cheese sauce. So cheesy and flavorful, its a perfect way to get kids to eat veggies!
- MyShrimp Bisqueuses a roux that cooks with shrimp, celery, and garlic for an incredible base to one of the best soups youll ever try!
- Creamy Parmesan Sauce for Chicken Cordon Bleu uses a roux and tastes incredible on so many dishes.
Can You Freeze Mac And Cheese Without Flour
Yes, you can freeze this no flour mac and cheese recipe because its a saucy version! Cool to room temperature, then freeze in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave until warm stir well. I like to sprinkle extra cheese on top and then pop it back in the microwave for melty goodness.
Read Also: Tomato Bad For Gout
How To Make Mac And Cheese Without Flour
Everyone loves mac & cheese, but making a roux takes time and can be a pain to get right. No one wants grainy mac and cheese!
Read on to discover how to make mac and cheese without flour, but also how to make a better roux.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Making Mac And Cheese With And Without Flour
You have a few choices for how to approach your homemade macaroni and cheese:
- Stovetop. Make your mac and cheese completely on the stovetop.
- Oven-baked. Embracing the southern style, make your mac and cheese in the oven.
- Combination approach. Best of both worlds, maybe? Make your cheese sauce on the stove, then bake the whole lot in the oven for a golden top.
But if youre looking to make your mac and cheese without flour, your best option is one of the Southern oven-baked recipes. They take a totally different approach to thickening the sauce, but still produce delicious results.
These and the other recipes without flour are listed separately below.
Dont Miss: What Happened To Chuck E Cheese
Also Check: Freddys Fry Sauce Recipe
Other Amazing Pasta Recipes
You cant go wrong with a good noodle dish. These are a few of my familys favorite pasta dinners, ready to wow yours! Theyre all easy to make and packed with so much mouthwatering flavor. Enjoy!
Country Hill Cottage Ltd. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This means that we may earn a small commission from some of the links in our posts. Learn more
What Is Roux Made Of
Roux is made from equal parts of flour and fat. You can use any kind of oil or animal fat, depending on the choice, dietary preferences, allergies. Whether you measure your ingredients by volume or by weight, use a 1 to 1 ratio .
You can use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour. You may notice a slightly different taste, but if you often cook with whole wheat flour it works in your recipes just as well. I haven’t tried using gluten-free flour in a roux, but I have seen rice flour mentioned as a good substitute to make a gluten-free roux.
Read Also: Pete’s Hot Sauce
Video: How To Make A Roux
Scroll down to the recipe card to watch the video on how to make this amazing thickening agent Its really simple!
Types of Roux
There are several different types or stages of cooking roux. The color is based on how long the flour and fat are cooked.
Good choices for oil are canola, vegetable, or avocado oil. I also sometimes use shortening, or the incredible liquid gold that is bacon fat. As a result, you will have plenty of extra flavor there!
What Can You Add To Thicken A Sauce
Cornstarch is a common thickening agent in the culinary arts, but if you add it directly to the liquid you want to thicken, it will clump up. To thicken a sauce or soup with cornstarch, you first need to make a slurry, which is a mixture of equal parts cornstarch and liquid .
Recommended Reading: Copycat Chick Fil A Honey Roasted Bbq Sauce
Homemade Cheese Sauce Faqs
What is a Cheese Sauce made of?
Homemade cheese sauce consists of cheese, milk, a roux made up of butter and flour, and the seasonings of your choice. Its incredibly simple and so delicious!
What is a good melting cheese for sauce?
I love to keep it classic with sharp cheddar, but any melty cheese works great. Try Asiago, white cheddar, fontina, gouda, gruyere, havarti, Monterey jack, mozzarella, you name it. You can even use a combination. Whatever you do, shred the cheese yourself! Pre-shredded cheese includes anti-caking agents which prevent it from melting smoothly.
How to store:
Leftover sauce will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, warm in the microwave or on low on the stove until heated through. You may want to add a splash of milk or water to thin the sauce when reheating.
Best Mac And Cheese Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
No matter if youre making stovetop mac and cheese or baked mac and cheese, this is the best mac and cheese sauce on the internet!
Made with simple ingredients such as a mac and cheese roux, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper, this cheese sauce for mac and cheese is creamy and scrumptious.
Obviously, if youre on this site you are a cheese lover. I mean, we are The Cheese Knees after all!
Every cheese website deserves to have a signature mac and cheese sauce thats easy to make, creamy, and perfect on any noodle! PS: if you havent tried our classic mac and cheese, you need to now!
Recommended Reading: Can You Buy Chick Fil A Honey Roasted Bbq Sauce
More Cheese Recipe Videos
My family and I really enjoy cheese in all its forms. If you do too, be sure to check out the videos below, where I show you the easy way to make homemade:
And speaking of mac and cheese, if you have an Instant Pot, dont miss my Instant Pot Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe video!
If you have been disappointed with other Instant Pot mac and cheese videos on the Internet , I show you how to make this creamy dish perfect every time. I talked with the Instant Pot company, and I share their secret tips with you.
Ever wonder what to do with those little bits and bobs of leftover cheese that might grow mold in your fridge if left unattended? Well, you are never going to waste cheese again with this clever recipe. And no one will ever know that you made a scrumptious cheese spread with nothing more than little scraps of cheese! Its the ultimate in a no-waste kitchen recipe.
How To Make Cheese Sauce
Recommended Reading: Honey Bbq Chick Fil A
How To Make Cheese Sauce:
Gather all the ingredients ahead of time because the sauce comes together really quickly. If youre using it over Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli, you can make this cheese sauce in less time than it takes to air fry the broccoli .
Grate the cheese, then make the roux a butter-flour blend that thickens the sauce.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium to medium-low heat, then sprinkle the flour over the top and whisk until smooth.
Pour in the milk and season with salt then continue whisking constantly until the milk and flour mixture are combined. Increase the heat, bring to a full boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the white sauce thickens.
Remove the pan from the heat then slowly add the cheese, gently stirring until its melted and the sauce is smooth and silky.
Taste and adjust salt as you like then eat right away. If your sauce is too thick, add a splash of milk and stir.
Do we share a love of easy, tasty recipes? LIKE ME on , FOLLOW along on , and and for all the latest.
If you tried this Easy Cheese Sauce recipe or any other on the blog then I hope youll leave a commentandsome stars below!