Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time. The longer it sits the more flavors that will come out.
How to Reheat: Add the desired amount to a small size saucepot and cook over low heat until warm.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. This will not freeze well.
You can absolutely sub out the onions and garlic with powder/granules and if you chose to do so there will be no need to sauté anything in oil at the beginning of the recipe.
If you want to use tomato puree instead of ketchup, tomato paste will be needed to help thicken it.
Do not over blend the sauce or it will turn the color.
This will go excellent with beef, pork, or chicken.
Favorite Ways To Use Bbq Sauce
- Chicken Use on baked chicken for a flavorful meal or drizzled over shredded chicken for a BBQ Chicken Sandwich.
- Pork Delicious with ribs, brisket and definitely with pulled pork. Hello, best pulled pork sandwich ever!
- Burgers Delicious on hamburgers in place of ketchup for a tasty BBQ Burger.
- Pizza Use in place of pizza sauce for a BBQ Chicken Pizza or a Pulled Pork Pizza. Yum!
How To Make The Best Barbecue Sauce
Not only is making your own barbecue sauce from scratch infinitely more delicious than anything youll find at the store, it is EASY.
While this isnt one of those 3 ingredient BBQ sauce recipes , it is still super simple and its flavor is a dead ringer for the barbecue sauces Ive tried at legit BBQ joints.
Lets break it down, BBQ-style.
You May Like: Tabasco Caribbean Style Steak Sauce
Adaptable Homemade Barbecue Sauce
The beauty of this sauce base is that you can change it if youre in the mood. You can use brown sugar or molasses instead of honey, you can use Dijon mustard instead of the regular yellow mustard, you can use tomato sauce for some of the ketchup, there are lots of ways to vary the base. And then you get to add other ingredients to deepen it more, things like Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, or smoked paprika, or all of the above! Really the options are endless. Soooo good. Youre going to love making this easy staple and doctoring it up in new ways.
The reason this simple sauce works is because of the flavor balance. You have salty and sweet flavors in the ketchup, more sweet from the honey and then a good tang from the mustard. Its also great because the sugar content in the sauce makes it caramelize on food when its cooking.
How To Make Bbq Sauce:
This bbq sauce recipe couldnt be easier to make! Simply
You May Like: Hot Ones Hot Sauce Pineapple
What I Love About This Bbq Sauce Recipe:
- The perfect flavor combo. It has a little tang and sweetness, and a little smokey flavor that I cant get enough of. Liquid smoke helps to add that amazing smokey flavor.
- Made with pantry staples. Basic ingredients including tomato sauce, ketchup, sugar, molasses, red wine vinegar, and spices. The only thing you may not have on hand is liquid smoke, which is inexpensive and easy to find. Use liquid smoke in fajitas, baked beans, and Instant Pot Ribs.
How To Make Barbecue Sauce For Ribs
To make this barbecue sauce recipe start by finely chop the onion and garlic.
Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet and add the chopped onion and garlic.
Reduce the heat to medium and continuously stir the onion and garlic through the pan. This prevents them from going brown.
Add the soy sauce and apple vinegar and rapidly stir it through the onion mix. Immediately add the sofrito tomato sauce and stir.
Now it is time to add the chili powder, syrup, Worcestershire sauce.
Finally, add the brown sugar and mustard. Stir to dissolve. Let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes while you stir occasionally.
I do not use any water in this recipe because I want to be able to store it. It is ok if the sauce is a little thick. Take the pan off the heat and let the sauce cool.
Put in a glass jar for storage.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Lasagna Sauce
More Ways To Use Barbecue Sauce
Try homemade BBQ sauce on fall-off-the-bone Instant Pot Ribs or Slow Cooker Ribs! Its great on Instant Pot shredded chicken, these fun turkey tenders, or yummy slow cooker pulled pork. Dress up air fryer drumsticks or thighs with BBQ sauce. I love to dip air fryer French fries in barbecue sauce, and air fryer chicken nuggets, too!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @rachelcooksblog on , , or !
Spicy Mustard Bbq Sauce Recipe
Camping 15 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce adds the right amount of spice and tang to whatever you serve with it. This mustard BBQ sauce makes a great addition to your BBQ!
This Spicy Mustard BBQ Sauce is a delicious combination of spicy and tangy. Its so delicious on so many meats and foods, but I especially love to eat it with chicken or pork. I make this to serve alongside my other bbq sauces when I have a cookout with friends and family. It has just that perfect amount of zest and everyone always loves it!
Don’t Miss: Heinz Beans In Tomato Sauce
How To Make The Best Bbq Sauce
How To Store And Freeze Barbecue Sauce
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Since it is not loaded with preservatives, homemade barbecue sauce will go bad faster than store bought barbecue sauce.
- To Freeze. Yes, you can freeze barbecue sauce! Place the sauce in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Read Also: Easy Stir Fry Sauce Recipe
Homemade Bbq Sauce Variations
- Spicy BBQ Sauce: Add up to 1 tablespoon of hot sauce or 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Maple BBQ Sauce: Substitute 1/4 cup maple syrup for the honey.
- Extra Smoky BBQ Sauce: Double the amount of smoked paprika.
- Coca Cola BBQ Sauce: Add 1/2 cup Coca Cola to the recipe.
Homemade barbecue sauce is delicious on any type of meat. Its particularly good on smoked meats such as chicken and pork. It makes an amazing pulled pork sandwich and the best barbecued chicken wings youll ever eat.
I always keep this BBQ sauce in my freezer so that I have some on hand when the grilling mood strikes. It just cant be beat!
Ideas For Serving Bbq Sauce
Recommended Reading: How To Make Mcdonald’s Secret Sauce
Whats In The Bbq Sauce
- Tomato Sauce + Ketchup the base of most BBQ sauce recipes
- Brown Sugar + Molasses to make it nice and sweet and rich
- Apple Cider Vinegar to balance out the sweetness with a little tang and acid
- Worcestershire Sauce so I can practice spelling it. Oh yeah, and to add depth to the flavor
- Spice Party! Included are Dry Mustard, Chipotle Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, and Cayenne.
How Do You Make Bbq Sauce From Scratch
Making BBQ Sauce from scratch is as simple as mixing some ingredients together and simmering it on the stove for 15 minutes. All the sweet, tangy, smokey and spicy flavors meld together to make a sauce perfect for dipping, topping, grilling and more. The ingredients for BBQ sauce are easy to find, and you probably have most of them in your pantry right now!
You May Like: Raspberry Dipping Sauce For Jalapeno Poppers
Why Trust The Spruce Eats
Lindsay Boyers is a certified holistic nutritionist with extensive nutrition knowledge and food and beverage-testing experience. Shes developed over 1,000 original recipes and is constantly on a mission to find the healthiest, best-tasting options and ingredients across all food and drink categories.
Was Only Able To Marinate The Thighs For The Minimum 2
This flavorful condiment can be used in so many waysespecially when it’s slathered on barbecue ribs, chicken, and even drizzled over pizza. The true magic happens when a smoky dry rubbed rib is dipped in and flavors meet. Add the onions and garlic and cook, until the onions are golden, 6 to 7 minutes. 1/3 cup packed brown sugar. Mustard, lemon juice, honey and barbecue sauce. Stir in the ketchup, 1 cup water, the vinegar, brown sugar. It hits every taste budsparking sweet, salty, spicy, tangy and smoky responses that linger long after sampled.
From cooking light, this zesty sauce can be brushed over food after it’s cooked or during the last minute or two of cook time. The true magic happens when a smoky dry rubbed rib is dipped in and flavors meet. Smoky chipotle chile powder is a fine substitute for smoked paprika. This smoky sweet sauce can go with so many things. 20/08/2004 · the sauce on its own is not remarkable. Finish with a sprinkle of bagel seasoning. Stir in the ketchup, 1 cup water, the vinegar, brown sugar. It hits every taste budsparking sweet, salty, spicy, tangy and smoky responses that linger long after sampled.
Chinese-Style Barbecued Spareribs | KeepRecipes: Your from keeprecipes.com
Don’t Miss: Prego Alfredo Sauce Gluten Free
St Louis Barbecue Sauce
St. Louis is at the crossroads of barbecue and blends many influences known for its grilled ribs, its style differs from others mainly for the quick method of cooking used versus the many hours of smoking seen elsewhere.
St. Louis-style barbecue sauces are thinner and tangier than those served in Kansas City. This recipe presents the perfect combination of flavors to make St. Louis barbecue: simmer ketchup, water, vinegar, sugar, mustard, onion, garlic, cayenne, and salt for 20 to 30 minutes. Its medium thickness and flavor, not too overpowering, make this a great sauce for all tastes.
This sauce is best when made the day before. Keeps in the fridge for 1 week.
A Tasty Bbq Sauce Recipe
When you hear barbecue sauce you might think of summer but this recipe can be used in any season.
This sauce might be the best barbecue sauce recipe for ribs but you can also eat it with:
- Mexican burger put some on your burger instead of salsa
- Bacon burger another great burger to add your barbecue sauce
- Steak fries grill this amazing steak on the grill and serve with homemade fries and this barbecue sauce
- Spare ribs either on the barbecue, in a slow cooker, or Air Fryer ribs
Because you use a bit of brown sugar barbecue sauce will caramelize when it reaches about 320/160.
When you use barbecue sauce with a barbecue do not rub the sauce directly on the meat.
Make sure the meat is done and then bast the sauce on the meat for the last 10 minutes before you take the meat off the barbecue.
If you put it on too early the sauce can be too thick and will prevent the meat from getting done.
When you want to use the barbecue sauce take out the amount of sauce you need.
Do not dip a brush in the jar to put it on the meat if you want to keep your sauce fresh.
Also Check: Prego Italian Sauce Flavored With Meat
Best Ever Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Hi! Im Christine. My passion is creating recipes that take less time in the kitchen, so that we can all spend more time enjoying life! Im a busy single mom of two, so I totally get how tough it can be. Thats why Ive been figuring things out for my own family, and thats why I want to share this knowledge with others. I now help over 2 million people a month get delicious meals onto their tables. Come along with me and see how much easier it can be!
5 secrets to the Juiciest grilled meats!
How To Make Homemade Bbq Sauce:
1. Combine ingredients. Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and mix together until smooth.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or up to one hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools.
3. Serve. Slather this stuff on just about anything or store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Double it? I love to make this sauce and keep it in the fridge for several weeks. Depending on your family size you could double the recipe to make a bigger batch. Its delicious for dipping/marinating grilled chicken, spooning on hamburgers or ribs, or dipping as a sauce. Its my go-to when I dont have a dinner plan.
You May Like: G Hughes Sugar Free Dipping Sauce
How Do You Make Homemade Bbq Sauce
This barbecue sauce starts with ketchup as the base. Look for ketchup that is organic or conventional ketchup that is not sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. The ketchup is combined with apple cider vinegar, an array of spices, a dash of hot sauce and brown sugar to make up this intensely flavored condiment. All you have to do is throw everything in the pan, let it simmer for a bit, and youre done!
Tips For Homemade Bbq Sauce
- Be sure to use smoked paprika, not regular paprika. Smoked paprika can be found in almost every grocery store and is not expensive.
- Store your BBQ sauce in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also freeze your sauce for later use.
- Your BBQ sauce needs to simmer on low heat if the heat is too high it may splatter onto your stove!
- I use Franks Red Hot sauce for just a touch of spice in my sauce. If youre heat adverse, you can easily omit it.
You May Like: Classico Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Pasta Sauce
The Best Homemade Sweet Bbq Sauce Recipe
Published: · This post may contain affiliate links. ·
Kick your bbq up a notch with The Best Homemade Sweet BBQ Sauce Recipe. Simple to make and the perfect balance of sweetness, spice, and everything nice.
We love to grill! I say “we”, but my hubby is the grill master around here. I am in charge of spices, sauces, sides, etc. Anytime we are grilling up something that needs sauce we whip up a batch of the BEST Homemade Sweet BBQ Sauce Recipe.
This recipe takes just a couple minutes to stir together and is great right out of the gate. If you want it even better take a few minutes to put your sauce in a saucepan and let all of the flavors really marry together. INCREDIBLE!
Ways To Use Bbq Sauce:
There are so many great ways to put a batch of homemade BBQ sauce to delicious use! Some of our faves include:
- Traditional bbq meat: Grilled or pulled chicken, pulled pork, ribs, burnt ends, etc.
- Baked beans: BBQ sauce is a simple and delicious way to flavor a batch of baked beans.
- Burgers: Use it as a spread on your favorite burgers.
- Pizzas: Use it in place of pizza sauce.
- Soups/salads: Mix it into broths to flavor soups, or use the sauce as a dressing for your salad.
- Tacos/quesadillas/burritos: BBQ sauce is a great way to give your favorite Mexican dishes a different twist.
- Dipping sauce: And of course, its always a great dipping sauce for everything from chicken nuggets to veggie sticks to cocktail meatballs and more!
Also Check: Elijah’s Extreme Hot Sauce
Faqs For Best Homemade Bbq Sauce
How do you freeze the sauce?
I usually portion it into freezer ziploc bags because they lay flat then, when I defrost it, if Im not using it all, I pour it into a jar and refrigerate.
What kind of ketchup do you use?
I usually use the Heinz natural brand but you could also use regular Heinz.
How long does this last in the fridge?
I have kept it in the fridge for up to a month with no problem.
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 teaspoons hickory flavored liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper