Making Tomato Sauce Out Of Canned Tomatoes
To make your own tomato sauce out of a can of tomatoes, you can use whatever type of canned tomatoes you have on hand, whether they be whole, stewed, diced, or crushed.
First, drain off the liquid in the can and put it aside. Then give the tomatoes a quick whirl in your blender or food processor. If the resulting purée seems wetter than a typical tomato sauce, just drain off some of the excess liquid, or cook the mixture down until you reach the desired consistency. If using crushed tomatoes, cook down until it thickens a bit.
Some canned tomato products have added seasonings and some dont. Taste your sauce and tweak the flavor if needed, adding salt, oregano, basil, or whatever spices you prefer. Cook your sauce just long enough to warm it through for a fresh tomato sauce, or cook it until it develops a dark color and thick texture if you want more of a jarred sauce consistency. If the sauce gets too thick, add some of the reserved liquid.
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce From Tomato Sauce
Combine all of the following in a medium saucepan:
- Two 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp each oregano, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp each onion powder and garlic powder
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Pour over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Easy Rich And Hearty Vegan Spaghetti Sauce
This homemade vegan spaghetti sauce is so rich and hearty you won’t realise its meatless. It’s full of Italian herbs, garlic, sweet slow cooked onions and chopped tomatoes. Perfect for spaghetti but also great in lasagna and as a pizza topping.
This healthy vegan pasta sauce is also a lentil free zone. We’re getting this hearty texture from the onions and tomatoes and reducing the sauce until it’s nice and thick. It takes about 30 minutes, rather than the 2 hours of many sauces out there. But you won’t lose out on any flavour. You can use this sauce in the
The addition of a stock cube really helps bring some rich and bold flavour to the sauce. And it’s reduced so it feels chunky and hearty. You can use this sauce in the veggie stuffed shells, the baked cheese tortellini and the one pan lasagna
Rich and Hearty Vegan Spaghetti SauceLike this recipe? Pin it to your Pasta pinboard!Follow SavvyBites on Pinterest
Read Also: Costco Raos
Faq About Spaghetti Sauce
Can spaghetti sauce be frozen?
Store spaghetti sauce in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If there are visible signs of mold, discard the sauce. To extend the shelf life, freeze it! Allow the sauce to cool completely and pour it into an airtight container or freezer bag. Place in the freezer for up to 4 months. When you are ready to use the sauce, remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw completely. Pour it into a saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes before serving.
Are spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce the same?
Pizza sauce is typically made using tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings and is cooked briefly on the stovetop. Spaghetti sauce is made using additional ingredients such as onions, bay leaves and crushed tomatoes and simmers for a couple hours to help enhance the flavor.
Can spaghetti sauce be used for pizza?
Spaghetti sauce sauce can be used in place of pizza sauce in a pinch. First, run the sauce through a strainer to get rid of excess liquid. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon each of fennel seed and Italian seasoning.
Is spaghetti sauce gluten free?
Most spaghetti sauce recipes are gluten-free. When looking for gluten-free store-bought varieties, check the label for ingredients that contain wheat.
Does spaghetti sauce go bad?
More Tomato Sauce Substitutes
The following substitutes wont stand in for tomato sauce if youre making a pasta dish, but they will give you satisfactory results if the tomato sauce is being mixed into a crockpot recipe, casserole, or something similar that just needs that touch of tomato taste. Here are a couple of options to try.
- Ketchup: Use 1 cup of ketchup in place of 1 cup of tomato sauce. Add spices to tweak the flavor as needed. A bit of basil is a good choice.
- Tomato Soup: Add a 10 3/4-ounce can of tomato soup. Then, cut one of the wet ingredients in the recipe back by 1/4 cup to account for the extra liquid. Tomato soup tends to be sweeter than most tomato sauces, so you may need to make some flavor adjustments.
Read Also: Texas Pete Hot Sauce Recipe
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Texas Pete Chili Sauce
Favourite And Simple Spring Pasta Dish
Pasta With Tomato Paste Sauce Recipe
Pasta is such a versatile meal staple and can be combined with so many different ingredients to create a variety of tasty family meals. For a classic Mediterranean style dish combine tomato paste with your favorite style of pasta, fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
Make sure you have the following ingredients on hand for a quick and tasty meal:
- Tomato paste
- Fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
If you dont have a store bought tomato paste in your pantry you can easily make your own from fresh or canned tomatoes. Its simple and when you make your own you know exactly what the ingredients are. An advantage of making your own tomato paste is being able to cut down on added salt and sugar in your diet.
Heres a quick recipe for making your own tomato paste to use as a pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes, allow 2 to 3 hours to create the perfect tomato paste.
Top Tip: Using canned tomatoes will shorten the cooking time to just 10 minutes.
Also Check: Hot Ones Monthly Box
What To Serve With Tomato Sauce
Where do we start? Use tomato sauce as a dipping sauce for cheesy bread, garlic bread, or mozzarella sticks. Top pasta or vegetables with it. Use it to simmer eggs in tomato sauce until they’re cooked to your liking, or to simmer cooked white beans. Tomato sauce can also be the red sauce for steaming mussels.
Additional Veggies And Protein
When making a homemade marinara sauce, you have plenty of room to add a few more seasonings, vegetables, vegan protein, legumes, and for meat eaters, animal protein. Here are a few additions that are common when making spaghetti sauce.
- Fresh parsley, 1 or 2 bay leaves, dried oregano, and a generous pinch of red pepper flakes will yield a spicy and robust herby sauce. All should be added while the tomatoes are simmering.
- A drizzle of balsamic vinegar or splash of white or red wine will give the sauce another dimension and depth in flavor. Add while the tomatoes are simmering.
For meat-eaters, add:
- Brown 1/2 pound of ground beef or lamb with the onions and garlic, and proceed to the recipe as indicated.
For vegans and vegetarians:
- Add 1 cup of crumbled extra-firm tofu right before serving, or use cubed tempeh, seitan, or cooked edamame.
Read Also: Does Cfa Sauce Expire
Spaghetti Sauce Marinara Sauce And Pizza Sauce Whats The Difference
The main difference between the 3 of these sauces is the spices used and the cooking method.
Spaghetti/Pasta sauce is a slow simmer sauce that has a few herbs like basil involved. This is usually a thicker sauce, and you usually add meats and peppers to it. This would never go over a pizza.
The marinara sauce is usually a quick-cooking sauce that only cooks for an hour or less. has a sweeter, deeper flavor. This can be used over pasta or even over pizza.
Pizza sauce is an uncooked tomato sauce. Pizza sauce is typically made with tomato pasta or thicker tomato sauce. It uses different spices from spaghetti sauce, featuring oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, onion powder, and sugar.
Other Italian Recipes
If you love this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe, you will love some of our other Italian recipes:
- Heat the olive oil in a 5+ qt. pot over medium heat, and add the onion.
- Saute for 10 minutes or so, stirring often and being careful not to burn it.
- Add the chopped or pressed garlic.
- Heat for another one to two minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic, then add all the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, basil, and sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours stirring often.
- For the first half of the simmer time, do so with the pot uncovered, then cover.
- Add the cheese, stir in and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- This will make the equivalent of 4-5 jars of sauce, and the cost is probably about half .
Can You Substitute Tomato Paste For Tomato Sauce
Tomato paste can be substituted for tomato sauce but you need to carry out some amendments to make this substitution work better. As tomato sauce is concentrated than tomato sauce, so you need to dilute it with water first.
Also, tomato paste is slightly acidic. So, if you are using it instead of tomato sauce, use an ingredient that can balance out the acidity. A pinch of sugar or a small amount of vinegar can work well for this purpose.
Read Also: Removing Tomato Stains
Can You Freeze Spaghetti Sauce
I often make a few batches of this spaghetti sauce to keep in the freezer for later use.
To freeze pasta sauce, again be sure it is cooled completely. Transfer to freezer-safe containers, leaving enough room for the sauce to expand as it freezes. Cover tightly and be sure to label the container clearly with content and date.
Thaw the sauce in the fridge overnight. Warm up over medium heat, stirring as needed.
How Do You Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Its simple! Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil, add a couple tablespoons of tomato sauce and heat it up for a minute or so, then add the tomatoes.
Add the dried spices: oregano, thyme, bay leaf, a tablespoon of sugar, and red pepper flakes.
Stir well and simmer for at least one hour, but up to three hours. Just before serving, remove the bay leaf, and stir in a little butter, and some fresh basil and parsley.
Serve over your favorite pasta with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Buon appetito!
Recommended Reading: Rao Sauce On Sale
Can I Make This Spaghetti Sauce In The Instant Pot
Yes. To make this easy spaghetti sauce in the Instant Pot,
- Push the sauté button to heat the olive oil. Brown the meat and use a slotted spoon to remove the beef.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and then sauté the onions for 4 minutes and then add the garlic to cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the parmesan and basil.
- Cover and seal the lid. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and move the valve to vent.
- Remove the lid and stir in the grated parmesan.
How To Freeze Homemade Tomato Sauce
Freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe zipper bag or container, making sure to leave room for expansion as it freezes. Tomato sauce can stain plastic containers so if you choose to freeze in a plastic container, make sure it’s one you don’t mind getting stained.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, or thaw on the stovetop on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
Read Also: Freddy Fry Sauce
How To Make Instant Pot Spaghetti:
Ingredients For Easy Spaghetti Recipe
- Spaghetti: Any pasta will work. I prefer using whole wheat or whole grain because it contains fibre and nutrients. If you use regular white pasta, please note the nutritional information of this delicious spaghetti recipe will change. Gluten-free spaghetti such as brown rice, quinoa, etc. will also work but it does cook faster than wheat. So watch it to avoid a mushy mess.
- Tomato sauce: There are so many tomato products on the shelves these days, in cans and jars, I get lost myself in the aisle too! That is partially why I just buy a 12 case of organic low sodium canned tomato sauce at Costco and use it in all my recipes. The other reason is that other tomato products are expensive. To make good spaghetti, you need a can of cheap, preferably low sodium, tomato sauce that reads tomato sauce. Not spaghetti sauce, not pizza sauce, not pasta sauce, not marinara sauce. Just tomato sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: Pre-grated Parmesan cheese in a shaker contains cellulose as a filler. It is not pure Parmesan cheese. Plus it doesnt taste nearly as fresh. I highly recommend using a block of fresh parmesan and grating your own for this easy spaghetti recipe.
I highly recommend to use fresh and real Parmesan, it not only tastes better, it adds to the restaurant quality of this simple dish!
You May Like: Is Tomato Sauce Bad For Gout
How To Thicken Marinara Sauce
This pasta sauce should be thick enough to enjoy after simmering for several minutes uncovered, but if you want it even thicker then here are a couple of ways to thicken your pasta sauce.
Why Make Easy Spaghetti With Tomato Sauce
- So delicious: Flavors come together so nicely in this spaghetti, no one will believe its made with plain canned tomato sauce!
- Easy: 10-minute spaghetti is perfect for a busy weeknight or at the end of a long day. More time to relax in your PJs and enjoy a glass of wine!
- Complete meal: Serve simple spaghetti and sauce dish with a side salad or add protein with turkey meatballs or even a side of turkey breast roast.
- Budget-friendly. Its nice to splurge sometimes on a delicious meal, but its even nicer to have that same delicious meal for a fraction of the cost!
Similar toInstant Pot spaghetti which is another quick and easy pasta favourite. I am slightly obsessed with Instant Pot recipes so I usually find a way to create a classic dish using the pressure cooker!
Recommended Reading: Freddy’s Fry Seasoning Recipe
Helpful Hints For A Perfect Spaghetti Sauce:
1.) Pick the right crushed tomatoes.
There are so many ways to make sure your sauce can be perfect every time. You first need to start with the best quality crushed tomatoes. When you buy your crushed tomatoes, make sure that you are buying ones that do not have any seasoning added. Often times you can buy crushed tomatoes with basil and salt already added, which can throw off the taste when you take into account the spices I add to my tomatoes.
You also want to decide if you like a chunky or smooth spaghetti sauce. We prefer a smooth sauce, so I like to buy Tuttorosso or Hunts crushed tomatoes. If you prefer a chunky sauce, you may want to use whole tomatoes or buy a chunky canned crushed tomato.
2.) Add Ground Beef or Italian sausage.
You can easily add ground beef or Italian sausage to this sauce. We typically brown it before adding it to the sauce. Another thing that we like to add is the big sausage links. That way, if the kids dont like them they can pick them out without it affecting the entire pot of sauce.
3.) Use canned crushed or fresh tomatoes.
When using canned tomatoes vs fresh tomatoes there are a few things to consider. If you are growing your own tomatoes at home, it is obviously going to be cheaper to make a sauce using your own tomatoes. You will need approx 15 medium-sized tomatoes to equal 3 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes.
Lets take a look at how to make a homemade spaghetti sauce using fresh tomatoes.