Why Youll Love It
- Healthy! Unlike store-bought barbecue sauces, this homemade vegan BBQ sauce is made without any artificial flavours, or colours. Plus, no refined sugars like high fructose corn syrup!
- Easy to make! Theres no need to cook, boil or simmer anything and its made using just 8 pantry-friendly ingredients. Just toss everything in a bowl and mix it up!
- Long lasting! Keep this delicious BBQ sauce in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks
More Ways To Use Barbecue Sauce
Try homemade BBQ sauce on fall-off-the-bone Instant Pot ribs or slow cooker ribs! Its great on Instant Pot shredded chicken, these fun turkey tenders, or yummy slow cooker pulled pork. Dress up air fryer drumsticks or thighs with BBQ sauce. Have you ever tried salmon with BBQ sauce? So good! I love to dip air fryer French fries in barbecue sauce, and air fryer chicken nuggets, too!
Simple Bbq Sauce Recipe
I love making this easy homemade bbq sauce recipe. The ketchup based sauce is always a hit whenever I serve it. It is made with every day pantry ingredients that are combined in a pot on the stovetop. The sweet and tangy sauce is delicious slathered on ribs, chicken, and added to these Barbecue Pork Sliders. It is better than any bottled barbecue sauce from the store!
Don’t Miss: Does Little Caesars Have White Sauce
Is Bbq Sauce Gluten
Not all store-bought BBQ sauce is gluten-free, so homemade is a perfect alternative to making sure your sauce contains no gluten.
So long as you double-check your Worcestershire sauce is gluten-free, then this homemade BBQ sauce recipe is completely gluten-free.
Be aware of any substitutions or edits you make to the recipe that may contain gluten.
Grilling With Bbq Sauce
If youre grilling or broiling, brush the sauce on your meat near the end of the cooking time. Continue grilling or broiling just long enough to caramelize the sugars in the BBQ sauce and make it absolutely irresistible. If you put it on right away, the sugar in the sauce will burn before the meat is cooked through.
Also Check: How To Make Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
Is It Bbq Barbecue Barbeque Bar
I was surprised to discover there are some strong opinions on how to spell the name of this tasty red sauce, so I did a little digging to determine what the proper moniker was.
And no matter what method you prefer, I have some good news for you:
All of the above spellings are acceptable.
Most dictionaries will use either barbecue or barbeque as the root word, but the slang forms have become so common practice that theyre accepted by most spellchecks and grammar fans.
Being from the south, I grew up knowing and reading this sauce as BBQ, and its still what I prefer to this day.
How To A Make Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe:
How much easier can you get than this recipe? I mean seriously? The ingredients are minimal and easy to find, and it comes together in no time.
That is what we love best about this, its quick and easy, and quick and easy recipes are something that work really well for my busy family.
Recommended Reading: Big Red’s Hot Sauce
Reasons To Make Your Own Sauce
It is easy to just buy a bottle of barbecue sauce at the grocery store, but most bottled versions are loaded with added sugars. LOTS of sugar with some containing 12 to 16 grams per two-tablespoon serving. Wow!
However, in my opinion, a completely unsweetened barbecue sauce wouldnt taste right either. Some sugar is required to balance the tanginess of the sauce. The great thing is that by making your own, you get complete control over how much sugar is in your homemade bbq sauce.
Heres A Look At How To Make Homemade No
Yep, thats it! Youre done!
Now, you can absolutely use this barbecue sauce immediately, and it will be very delicious.
BUT I highly recommend that you make it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours or overnight to give all those flavors time to develop and meld together. It will be so much better!
Recommended Reading: Yum Yum Sauce Kroger Aisle
What Are The Main Ingredients In Bbq Sauce
The exact ingredients used in a recipe will vary. However, you can almost always count on ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar being part of the recipe.
Of course, the style of barbecue sauce will also determine the ingredients. For example, there are mustard-based sauces. Alabama even has a mayonnaise-based barbecue sauce.
Whats In Homemade Bbq Sauce
In order to make this recipe, youll have to collect the following ingredients:
- Ketchup Use your favorite brand to give this sauce a base youll love.
- Light brown sugar Adds a bit of sweetness. Plus, the molasses deepends the favor.
- Red wine vinegar Give the sauce some tang.
- Ground mustard Another addition of subtle tang, balancing out the sweetness of the brown sugar.
- Worcestershire sauce Adds a tash of unami flavor, similar to soy sauce.
- Paprika Adds a fruity, smoky flavor with a touch of heat.
- Salt & Water
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Mexican Hot Sauce
What Is Traditional Bbq Sauce Made Of
Every chef or grill-master has their own variation on BBQ sauce. However, the traditional version comes with a few standard ingredients that no riffing can exclude. The base includes vinegar and tomato paste, sometimes mayonnaise, for a combination of savory and sour flavors.
BBQ sauce has to have a sweet element, such as molasses or sugar. It needs to have spices to pack a punch, such as black pepper. Finally, dont skimp on the liquid smoke for extra flavor!
Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe
With minimal time and easy ingredients, you can make your own Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe that tastes amazing and goes well with so many different things.
BBQ Sauce, what would I do without it? I will admit that it is one of my favorite condiments ever. We like to use it on pretty much a lot of things, its just delicious.
I love the recipes that you can easily buy in the store that I can make at home, and it isnt hard at all! Trust me this Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe will be one of the easiest recipes you make.
It also makes a larger batch at 3 cups for one recipe so you will have enough on hand to use on whatever and however, youd like. Of course, you could cut this in half to have less.
We are BBQ Sauce fanatics around here so this is the normal amount that we make because we use it so much especially for grilling so we always like to keep some on hand.
Especially now that the weather is getting warmer and people are pulling their grills and smokers out, this is the perfect recipe to have in your arsenal.
You May Like: Spaghetti Sauce Recipe With Fresh Tomatoes
Ingredients In Barbecue Sauce Recipe With Honey
- Tomato paste – Tomato paste is tomatoes cooked down to a very concentrated paste. It’s bursting with tomato flavor and is a great base for sauces. We love this kind because it’s Organic and there’s only one ingredient.
- White vinegar – Apple cider vinegar would also work well here. This will give you the tang, and balance out the sweetness.
- Honey – Sweetens the sauce. Grab the raw and unfiltered honey, like this kind.
- Molasses – Adds a distinct flavor to the sauce. I tried this recipe without the molasses and it didn’t taste right.
- Mustard – Use your favorite kind. Yellow mustard, or dijon work great.
- Garlic powder and onion powder– Adds savory flavors and balances out the sauce.
- Salt – Balances the sweetness and acidity.
- Black pepper – Adds a kick .
Best Bbq Sauce Recipe
Living in Florida, I love cooking out with my family and friends. We enjoy BBQ as often as we can, especially during the summer! And if you’re cooking an amazing BBQ meal, it deserves its own homemade BBQ sauce.
The key to a great homemade sauce is finding the right mix of flavors. After testing and comparing to my favorite store-bought brands, this is the sauce I loved the most. I know you’ll love it, too!
My easy BBQ sauce recipe is the perfect combination of flavors, with a nice balance of sweet, spicy, and tangy. It makes a great BBQ sauce for wings, ribs, kebabs, pulled pork, and so much more.
After making this sauce just once, I knew I wouldn’t be going back to buying bottled BBQ sauce at the store!
Also Check: Primal Kitchen Classic Bbq Sauce
What Can You Use Instead Of Barbecue Sauce
If youre not a fan of barbecue sauce, you can use dry rubs on your meat before cooking it. There are a number of dry rub recipes, and they are extremely easy to make.
The hardest part is measuring out all the ingredients. Another option is to use a vinegar sauce. These are really popular in North Carolina and are nothing like barbecue sauce.
They are vinegar-based and very thin. They also have red pepper flakes as well as cayenne and black pepper. If youre looking for something that packs a flavor punch, you may like this sauce.
How To Use Bbq Sauce
- BBQ sauce for chicken: Slather chicken wings, grilled chicken , pulled chicken, or baked chicken thighs or breasts with homemade BBQ sauce for an amazing combination.
- BBQ sauce for beef: Try homemade BBQ sauce with beef ribs and beef brisket. It’s especially delicious with slow cooker recipes!
- Turkey with BBQ sauce: BBQ smoked turkey is super delicious, especially if you’re making it into a sandwich.
- BBQ sauce for pork: Homemade BBQ sauce is incredible with pork. Try it on pork ribs, with brisket, or even in pulled pork.
- BBQ sauce for burgers and sandwiches: Western-style burgers with BBQ sauce are absolutely delicious. It makes a great sauce for BBQ sandwiches and even sloppy joes, too!
- BBQ sauce pizza: Homemade BBQ pizza is so much better than any frozen pizza or even what you can get at a restaurant! Try grilling the pizza for an even more flavorful combo.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Spaghetti Sauce Out Of Clothes
How To Thicken Barbecue Sauce
One of the concerns when making homemade sauce is that the texture wont be right. Usually, BBQ sauce thickens as it cools, so dont worry if it seems runny at first. If your sauce is too thin, make a slurry out of cornstarch or flour to thicken it.
If youre using cornstarch, mix one part cornstarch with one part water to make a slurry and add it to the sauce. If youre using flour, the ratio is two tablespoons of flour to one-fourth cup of water. Add one part slurry for every cup of sauce youre making.
Homemade Bbq Sauce Recipe Ingredients
- Ketchup: I recommend using one without corn syrup, such as Heinz natural. It tastes better.
- Apple cider vinegar: To me 3 Tbsp is plenty but if you want it a little more sour feel free to add more to taste.
- Molasses: use unsulphured molasses .
- Apple juice or apple juice concentrate: Ive made this bbq sauce with both. The concentrate adds just that a slightly more concentrated flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce: This adds a rich, deep flavor to the sauce. A key ingredient.
- Honey: If you want the sauce a little less sweet you can omit the honey.
- Smoked paprika: I love the smokey flavor this adds but if sweet paprika is all you have that could be subsituted.
- Garlic powder: If you want a strong garlic flavor you could add fresh garlic. Here I just dont like it to overpower, plus I love the perfectly smooth sauce without any little chunks.
- Mustard powder: Another option would be to use a bit of prepared yellow mustard.
- Hickory smoke flavor: This is a natural flavoring you can find by the ketchup, mayo and mustard at most major grocery stores.
- Salt and pepper: remember the sauce will reduce some and flavors will become more concentrated so be careful not to overdue it. I do like quite a bit of pepper here.
Read Also: Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce Ingredients
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Without Ketchup
A lot of BBQ sauce recipes use ketchup as a base, then they cook the sauce to thicken it up. Not this one. This recipe uses simple ingredients like tomato paste, vinegar, honey, molasses, and spices. Tomato paste is very thick already, so using it as a base eliminates the need to cook the sauce.
Also, ketchup has a lot of ingredients, but tomato paste only has one. This honey barbecue sauce recipe uses only the simplest ingredients.
How To Store Homemade Bbq Sauce
After you have combined the ingredients overheat, remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for about 20 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a 16 or 32-ounce mason jar, depending on how much you have made. Make sure your jar has an airtight lid . Leave the jars in the refrigerator for at least two hours, or overnight. Enjoy the same evening or the next day.
Before storing BBQ sauce, let it cool to room temperature. Storing still-warm sauce could affect its shelf life and taste over time. Put it in an air-tight container such as a Mason jar or Tupperware. Make sure that no air can get in that could degrade the sauces flavor or quality. Store it in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life.
Homemade sauce can last one to two weeks. If it starts smelling or tasting funny, throw it out. If the sauce gets darker, thats also a sign that its starting to go bad. Homemade BBQ sauce lasts for a shorter time than store-bought sauce, but thats because its fresher and made with quality ingredients.
Also Check: How To Make Spaghetti With Ragu Sauce
Bryant Terry Says He Just Wrote His Last Cookbookbut This Top Chef Hasn’t Finished Leaving His Markyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Bryant Terry, the James Beard Award winning chef acclaimed for his efforts to create a just and sustainable food system, is at the top of his game. His cookbook “Vegetable Kingdom” helped Americans interested in adding more vegetables to their diets eat more mindfully as they began to cook at home more than ever during a pandemic.
Salon on MSN.com
Easy Honey Bbq Sauce Recipe
If you want a delicious honey BBQ sauce recipe that you can make in 5 minutes , this is for you.
As I’m sure you know, the barbecue sauce is a crucial component of a barbecue dinner. And when you make homemade barbecue sauce, you get to make sure it’s the perfect balance of tang and sweetness.
Plus, you’ll get to control what ingredients go in your sauce. This barbecue sauce is made without ketchup and with tomato paste.
Don’t Miss: Vegan Alfredo Sauce Whole Foods
What Is The Best Barbecue Sauce
This is a loaded question because BBQ sauce is both regional and personal. Everyone has a favorite style of barbecue sauce, and so do I.
Ive had the pleasure of munching barbecue from many different regions of the United States.
While I respect and enjoy the different flavors and characteristics of each, Im a Kansas girl who grew up on Kansas City barbecue.
Therefore, it should be no surprise that a Kansas City style bbq sauce recipe is my forever favorite.
This homemade bbq sauce recipe is my interpretation of some of the BEST sauces from the region.
How Do You Make Homemade Bbq Sauce
BBQ sauce is generally a variation of tomato sauce/paste, vinegar, sweetener, and spices. The BBQ Sauce recipe I am sharing with you today is pretty classic, making it really great for just about all your BBQ needs. Its mild enough that your kids will love it, but its also packed with just the right amount of flavor to compliment all sort of different foods.
Its all about adding the least amount of ingredients that pack the most punch. But I know sometimes youre making your own sauce in a pinch because you ran out, so I am also including a few different options so you dont have to run out to the store!
Recommended Reading: Making Chicken Alfredo With Ragu Sauce
Homemade Bbq Sauce The Easy Way
While it is pretty convenient to just throw a bottle of barbecue sauce in your cart while you are grocery shopping, making bbq sauce from scratch is just as easy!
Being born and raised in Texas, I have had my fair share of BBQ sauce. While there is definitely an art to making it, it can be VERY EASY to make a great quick homemade BBQ sauce!
To make homemade bbq sauce, you only need a few every day pantry ingredients, and there is no cooking required!
In as little as 5 minutes you can have your own signature easy bbq sauce whipped up and ready to serve! Hows that for impressive?
It is a great bbq sauce for chicken, pork, beef, and can be used for both dipping or for cooking with!