How To Make Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
Heat a pan over medium heat, melt your butter then add in the garlic.
Once youve warmed the garlic just until you start to smell it , You can whisk in the flour. This is the making the roux part of this easy homemade alfredo sauce.
I actually love making sauces that start with a roux. I feel like it seems so fancy but its actually so easy and makes amazing sauces!
Once youve cooked the flour/butter for about 2 minutes, you can start adding in the warmed milk , 1/2 cup at a time.
Below shows you the stages that the roux/milk will go through after each addition. Be sure to whisk until smooth after each 1/2 cup.
Once youve slowly added in all of the milk, you can add the cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir everything together and youre done!
Can The Alfredo Sauce Be Frozen
For days you dont want to cook from scratch, freeze a batch and use it without settling for the canned. Frozen Alfredo lasts for 3-4 months. So, its a good-to-go option, if you dont want to make it regularly. Just freeze, reheat and it is ready to be added to any dish.
Steps To freeze Alfredo Sauce
- Cool the sauce completely.
- Place the homemade sauce in freezer-safe bags or airtight containers.
- Put it in the freezer. It can be stored for more than 3 months.
The creamy and smooth texture may be affected when you reheat it, but it will still be creamy and tasty. You can always add more seasoning to make it flavoursome.
Alfredo Sauce From Scratch Recipe
Posted on Last updated:
My whole family prefers white sauce over red with our pasta. But buying jarred sauce just doesnt fill the craving from that restaurant quality taste.
Plus, making your own Alfredo sauce from scratch is surprisingly easy and quick and uses just 4 everyday ingredients.
Affiliate links are used in this post.
- 8 oz unsalted butter, room temp
- 5 oz shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
Step 1: In a small sauce pan or skillet melt butter with added roasted garlic.
Step 2: Whisk while slowly pouring in the heavy cream. Continue to whisk until everything is blended.
This set of 3 whisks is perfect, and you cant beat the price!
Step 3: Remove the sauce pan from the heat. Add and whisk in the cheese until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4: If mixture is too thick add more heavy cream until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
Read Also: How Do You Make Cheese Sauce
How To Store And Reheat Alfredo Sauce
If you happen to have some leftovers, I recommend storing the sauce in its own airtight container. Do not combine the pasta and the sauce in the same container. I recommend reheating the sauce in a small saucepan over low temperature, when the sauce melts due to the heat, you may need to add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream to thin out the sauce. I typically make fresh pasta the second time I serve the sauce.
Other Quick Meal Ideas You May Like
Simple Stir Fry Sauce Stir fry is one of the easiest things to throw together for a quick and easy dinner or lunch!
Creamy Orzo with Meatballs and Peas Meatballs, peas and orzo pasta in a creamy cheesy sauce is a great weeknight meal for a family on the go!
Simple Weeknight Meatloaf Simple, home comfort food.
Crustless Quiche Meat and veggie ingredients can be interchanged for whatever you like or what you have on hand.
Crockpot Chicken Chili Colorful and satisfying, this Crockpot Chicken Chili is perfect for a crowd!
Also Check: Dave’s Gourmet Insanity Hot Sauce
How To Make Italian Sausage Pasta:
- For this Italian Sausage Pasta, you will start by cooking your penne pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water according to package directions.
- As soon as you add your pasta to the boiling water, you will heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Then, add in your Italian sausage, minced onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Once your sausage is cooked through, you can drain any excess grease from the pan if necessary. Then, return the meat mixture to the skillet.
- Then, you will turn your heat down to low. Add the cream to the pan and bring to a simmer, and put all of the spinach in the pan. It will take about 3-5 minutes for the spinach to wilt.
- Next, drain your pasta. Add your shredded parmesan and pasta and give everything a good stir to coat.
You guys have spoken and seem to be loving these easy 20-30 minute weeknight meals as much as we do! I’m happy to say this Italian sausage pasta is one of my personal faves! If you’re looking for more simple dinners, don’t miss my Creamy Parmesan One Pot Chicken and Riceor my One Pot Homemade Hamburger Helper!
How To Thicken Homemade Alfredo Sauce
They key to thickening Homemade Alfredo Sauce is to simmer it until it reaches the desired consistency. Cream will gradually thicken as you cook it. To test for doneness, you can dip a spoon into the sauce and if it coats the back of the spoon, its ready.
Just keep in mind two things:
The more you cook this recipe, the more youll start to recognize the best consistency. I can tell just by how the sauce feels as Im stirring it.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Potsticker Sauce
Alfredo Sauce Is The Most Creamy And Delicious Homemade Alfredo Sauce That You Will Ever Make
In a saucepan or skillet, warm the butter and cream. · add the minced garlic, . Using milk instead of heavy cream for alfredo sauce is the best way to lighten it up and make it a bit healthier. This homemade alfredo sauce recipe is perfect for chicken alfredo dinner. Season with salt and pepper. · toss to combine, thinning with pasta . This is a tried and true . · bring to a low boil . Perfect homemade alfredo sauce · in a medium sauce pan over medium heat melt butter. Creamy and rich, with plenty of parmesan cheese and garlic, our homemade alfredo sauce recipe is easy, classic comfort at its finest. The best homemade alfredo sauce ever! How to make alfredo sauce · whisk together some flour and butter in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic, cream, pepper, and salt. In a medium saucepan add butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese. Alfredo sauce is the most creamy and delicious homemade alfredo sauce that you will ever make!
The Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ever – Shrimp Alfredo Pasta Recipe With Homemade Alfredo Sauce / The best homemade alfredo sauce ever! This homemade alfredo sauce recipe is perfect for chicken alfredo dinner. Alfredo sauce is the most creamy and delicious homemade alfredo sauce that you will ever make! This is a tried and true . In a medium saucepan add butter, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese. Creamy and rich, with plenty of parmesan cheese and garlic, our homemade alfredo sauce recipe is easy, classic comfort at its finest.
How To Reheat Alfredo Sauce:
- Place the alfredo sauce in a microwave safe dish
- Microwave for 30 second intervals stirring in between each 30 seconds
- If the sauce is thicker than youd like, you can add a little bit more milk until it reaches your desired consistency
Since you can store and reheat this alfredo sauce, it makes for great weeknight meals. Our favorite things to top the alfredo pasta are this easy grilled shrimp and this !
- 2large garlic cloves
- 1/4cupall purpose flour
- 3cupswhole milk
- 2cupsfreshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2teaspoon eachsalt, and pepper
- 2tablespoonsfresh chopped parsley
Don’t Miss: Velveeta Cheese Sauce Individual Pouches
How To Make Homemade Creamy Garlic Alfredo Sauce
Its creamy easy to make this homemade creamy garlic sauce. Like we mentioned above, we created this recipe using milk with flour to thicken the sauce. Grated parmesan cheese also thickens the sauce as well. If you want to use heavy cream, you can totally do that! Just eliminate the flour part and add the heavy cream to replace the milk. This sauce is perfect for fettuccine alfredo or with your favorite pasta. Watch our step-by-step photos below to guide you through the process. All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Check out all our variations of Fettuccine Alfredo Recipes:
What You Need To Make Sauce:
Simple ingredients for an elegant sauce that is a classic dish loved by all. This Sauce just has a smooth, creamy texture that melts in your mouth. The best results comes from the ingredients. Using the freshest ingredients is key!
Fresh parmesan cheese grated off the block is one of those key ingredients. This will create a smooth textured sauce rather than a grainy one. Each of these ingredients melt and blend together so well creating a masterpiece!
- Butter: either unsalted or salted work for this alfredo sauce recipe.
- Heavy whipping cream: for a richer and creamy flavor heavy whipping cream is preferred over whipping cream.
- Cream cheese: this adds a nice thick consistency to your alfredo sauce.
- Minced garlic: for best flavoring use fresh garlic and mince it the best you can.
- Garlic powder: adds to the rich and garlic flavoring.
- Italian seasoning: brings on an Italian fill and blends all the seasonings together.
- Salt and pepper: just to taste!
- Grated parmesan cheese: using real parmesan cheese is best. Powdered cheese will create a grainy texture and does not melt through when heated.
Also Check: Hot Ones Hot Sauce Box
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
To make this American-style Alfredo sauce recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Butter: Or you could also substitute olive oil, if you prefer.
- Garlic: Finely-minced or pressed.
- All-purpose flour: To help form a roux and thicken the sauce. If you are making gluten-free Alfredo sauce, however, you are welcome to omit the flour and have a slightly thinner sauce. Or you can use a cornstarch slurry to thicken it .
- Heavy cream and milk: We will use this blend as the base for our sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: I recommend freshly-grating your Parmesan cheese so that it will melt more smoothly into the sauce. Also, grated Parmesan cheese can be tricky to measure correctly simply with a measuring cup, so I recommend using a kitchen scale if you own one.
- Sea salt and white pepper: I like to use fine sea salt and white pepper to season this sauce. If you are new to cooking with white pepper, please note that it has a slightly different flavor and is significantly more potent than black pepper, so you do not need to use as much. That said, if you only have black pepper in the house, that will work too.
- Ground nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg is typically used in American-style Alfredo, but you can omit this if you prefer.
Cream Cream And More Cream : Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ingredients 101
Now that youre basically an expert in all things alfredo, youll know by simply skimming our alfredo sauce ingredients list that our alfredo recipe is more American-style than authentically Italian. And yet, it yields the hands-down best bowl of fettuccine alfredo you can find on either side of the Atlantic! Authentic or no, its exactly what we crave when were hankering for alfredo and we know youre going to love it, too. Pick your favorite pastafettuccine noodles are the classic choiceand get cooking! Heres everything youll need to make the best alfredo sauce recipe ever:
Don’t Miss: Is Soy Sauce Good For Weight Loss
Best Ever Alfredo Sauce
I just had to post my favorite recipe that I have created here on the blog. There are a few secret ingredients that set it apart from all of the rest. If there is one thing I can always count on my family to eat it is my homemade alfredo sauce over pasta.
We recently had some company over for dinner and I made these Chicken Bacon Garlic Alfredo Roll Ups and they always are a huge hit! This sauce is thick and creamy and the flavor is out of the world. It is restaurant quality that you can make right at home!
How To Use Alfredo Sauce
This recipe makes three cups of the best alfredo sauce! The most common way to use it is to put the sauce on fettuccini. But there are endless possibilities beyond fettuccine. Start by trying another pasta such as tortellini, ziti, ravioli, or stuffed shells. We also love to use it as a pizza sauce, in a soup like in this recipe Chicken Alfredo Soup, and as a cream sauce in this Chicken Alfredo Pot Pie.
Also Check: How Do I Make Garlic Butter Sauce
Want More Sauce Recipes Try These Next:
This easy homemade Cheese Sauce recipe is smooth and creamy. Use as a dip for croutons and chips or pour over veggies and pasta!
This Stir Fry Sauce recipe can be used for vegetables, chicken, beef, shrimp, and pork. It is super easy to make and totally adaptable. Store in the fridge or freezer for later!
Rich, luscious Chocolate Sauce recipe from scratch thats perfect for ice cream sundaes, cheesecakes, cakes, chocolate milk and hot chocolate.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce is easy to make and is perfect for everything from chicken to fish and veggies to rice.
How To Make Alfredo Sauce:
- The first step to making Alfredo is to warm your butter and cream in a large saucepan over low heat. You will let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Next, you will whisk in your garlic and seasonings. Whisking constantly for about one minute just to let the garlic cook.
- Lastly, you will add your parmesan cheese and stir just until the cheese has melted and your sauce is smooth.
Note that it is best to use freshly grated parmesan cheese right off of the block so that your sauce isn’t grainy. I do not recommend using the “shaker” style container grated cheese for this recipe.
The Parmesan will thicken this sauce up. If it isn’t quite thick enough, allow the sauce to stand for 2-3 minutes before serving.
If you love making your own pasta sauce at home, be sure to try out my Easy Homemade Pesto as well!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Velveeta Cheese Sauce
How To Make Alfredo Sauce: Keto Style
The homemade alfredo sauce recipe mentioned above is low in carbs. Although it is loaded with rich cream and cheese, alfredo sauce is keto-friendly.
This makes everyones favourite alfredo sauce a delicious option, even for those on a keto diet. So, you need not worry about the carbs count and just enjoy the sauce with your favourite recipes.
Brands Of Alfredo Sauce In A Jar
Next time you go to the grocery store, peruse the Italian sauce aisle. Youll see some national brands, such as Bertolli Alfredo sauce, Raos homemade Alfredo sauce, Classico Alfredo sauce, Ragu Alfredo sauce, and generic store brands of Alfredo sauce. Ive found that these are all Alfredo sauces of good quality.
Based on my experience, theyre all delicious, even though they all taste different. I recommend trying all of them one at a time, of course.
Many of the brands offer a choice between creamy white sauce and tomato sauce based Italian sauce. You can also find more specific flavors, such as the creamy basil Alfredo from Bertolli.
My personal favorite is typically the one thats on sale because I know that Ill be making it my own sauce after adding a bunch of delicious ingredients.
Recommended Reading: Original Anchor Bar Buffalo Wing Sauce
How To Make Alfredo Sauce Easily
Since youve learned how to make alfredo sauce at home, these tips will help you avoid some mistakes.
- Make sure you dont overheat, as it may give a smoky flavour to the creamy delicacy. Keep the flame at low or medium heat, especially when you melt butter.
- Always use good quality Parmesan cheese which should be grated just before serving.
- If alfredo sauce turns thick while making or reheating, add and stir some milk, broth, or water until its texture is maintained.
- On the contrary, if you want to make the alfredo sauce thicker, you can add more parmesan cheese. To avoid using extra cheese, just let it bubble on a low flame to achieve the desired density.
- You can also use other cheese likecheddar, swiss, cottage, or romano cheesefor that extra flavour of the cheese.
How Can I Thicken My Alfredo Sauce
This recipe should turn out plenty thick, but you can take it to the next level. Add a tablespoon of flour to the butter and garlic in the beginning and cook it for one minute, making a roux before following the recipe.
If you decide while its cooking that youd like it a bit thicker, create a slurry by mixing a tablespoon of flour and a couple of tablespoons of water until smooth. Gradually add this to your such until you reach the desired thickness.
Don’t Miss: Alabama White Bbq Sauce Recipe
Ingredients Required To Make Alfredo Sauce
All the ingredients required to make the alfredo sauce contributes something unique to the sauce. Thus, all the ingredients are important.
1. Grated parmesan cheese: 2 cups
Freshly grated parmesan cheese is the most important ingredient. Parmesan cheese, grated in advance doesnt melt well in the recipe. So, always go for fresh parmesan cheese, grated while preparing and serving the sauce.
2. Butter: 4-5 tbsp
Salted or unsalted butter . Just keep in mind that the parmesan cheese is a bit salty. So, it is advised to avoid salted butter to maintain saltiness.
3. Heavy whipping cream: 1 cup
Heavy cream with full fat provides a rich creamy savoury flavour to the sauce. Good-quality heavy cream enhances the flavour
4. Cream cheese
Cream cheese is required to add thickness to the alfredo sauce. Cream cheese offers a smooth, thick texture to the sauce.
5. Garlic: 1-2 cloves
For best seasoning, crush or mince fresh garlic cloves. Fresh garlic adds an amazing aroma to the sauce. You can add garlic powder also.
How To Make Alfredo Sauce Taste Even Better
Other optional ingredients: Cooked vegetables like mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and spinach can make the sauce even more healthy and tasty. Other spices like onion powder, oregano, basil, and/or Italian seasoning blend can give a unique flavour to the sauce.
pre-cooked proteins like Italian sausage, ham, shrimp, crab, bacon, or chicken can add more flavour and protein content to the sauce.